PDA

View Full Version : Haynesworth not a good fit for Broncos

Magnificent Seven
03-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Today's question comes from Chris Bass:

Q: Assuming there is a new collective bargaining agreement, is there any interest on the part of the Broncos in acquiring defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth? With the fallout between Haynesworth and Coach (Mike) Shanahan, it seems the Broncos could trade a modest amount. I have also heard that the Redskins have paid a significant portion of Haynesworth's contract already, limiting the (potential) salary-cap hit of any team that might trade for him. Although Haynesworth has significant character concerns, he would be a game-changer on the Broncos' defensive line and would vastly improve the run defense and the ability of the Broncos front seven to pressure opposing quarterbacks.

A: Chris, there is little question the Redskins would like to be done with Haynesworth. He was signed to a deal worth more than $100 million before Shanahan was hired and has since bristled at Shanahan's authority.

Haynesworth was suspended for the final four games of the 2010 season for conduct detrimental to the team. He has a host of ongoing off-the-field issues, including having been charged in a road rage incident, with a March 31 court date, and a report he's being investigated for sexual assault for an incident with a waitress at a restaurant in recent weeks.

That is to go with the numerous incidents in his past.

That, in addition to declining play since he got his coveted long-term deal, makes him difficult to move for the Redskins and difficult to take on for another team.

There are many in the league who say the Titans and Redskins discussed a possible trade before the 2010 draft involving a fourth-round draft pick, but nothing came of those discussions, so Shanahan and Haynesworth spent much of the 2010 season butting heads.

Those who know Haynesworth well, who have coached him or played alongside him, say he is bright and engaging when he wants to be.

But he doesn't react well to browbeating.

And once he secured his long-term deal in free agency, it's unlikely people will see the level of play he had in his final year with the Titans.

That makes trading for him a difficult choice for any team. The Broncos don't need more problems at any level, off the field or on it.

Haynesworth is likely too big of a question mark on both counts. The Broncos are rebuilding almost from the ground up.

Haynesworth is only 29, but he came into the league as the draft's youngest player in 2002 at just 20. So he is entering his 10th season in 2011.

The Broncos have said they want to be younger and have a more traditional, build-through-the-draft approach. Even beyond the off-the-field risks, Haynesworth wouldn't fit either of those criteria.

One team that may bear watching is the Eagles, where former Titans defensive line coach Jim Washburn was just hired and signed to a three-year deal. Washburn is one of the best, and while Haynesworth was a headache for him at times, Haynesworth has almost always played hard for him.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17542003

NightTerror218
03-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Today's question comes from Chris Bass:

Q: Assuming there is a new collective bargaining agreement, is there any interest on the part of the Broncos in acquiring defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth? With the fallout between Haynesworth and Coach (Mike) Shanahan, it seems the Broncos could trade a modest amount. I have also heard that the Redskins have paid a significant portion of Haynesworth's contract already, limiting the (potential) salary-cap hit of any team that might trade for him. Although Haynesworth has significant character concerns, he would be a game-changer on the Broncos' defensive line and would vastly improve the run defense and the ability of the Broncos front seven to pressure opposing quarterbacks.

A: Chris, there is little question the Redskins would like to be done with Haynesworth. He was signed to a deal worth more than $100 million before Shanahan was hired and has since bristled at Shanahan's authority.

Haynesworth was suspended for the final four games of the 2010 season for conduct detrimental to the team. He has a host of ongoing off-the-field issues, including having been charged in a road rage incident, with a March 31 court date, and a report he's being investigated for sexual assault for an incident with a waitress at a restaurant in recent weeks.

That is to go with the numerous incidents in his past.

That, in addition to declining play since he got his coveted long-term deal, makes him difficult to move for the Redskins and difficult to take on for another team.

There are many in the league who say the Titans and Redskins discussed a possible trade before the 2010 draft involving a fourth-round draft pick, but nothing came of those discussions, so Shanahan and Haynesworth spent much of the 2010 season butting heads.

Those who know Haynesworth well, who have coached him or played alongside him, say he is bright and engaging when he wants to be.

But he doesn't react well to browbeating.

And once he secured his long-term deal in free agency, it's unlikely people will see the level of play he had in his final year with the Titans.

That makes trading for him a difficult choice for any team. The Broncos don't need more problems at any level, off the field or on it.

Haynesworth is likely too big of a question mark on both counts. The Broncos are rebuilding almost from the ground up.

Haynesworth is only 29, but he came into the league as the draft's youngest player in 2002 at just 20. So he is entering his 10th season in 2011.

The Broncos have said they want to be younger and have a more traditional, build-through-the-draft approach. Even beyond the off-the-field risks, Haynesworth wouldn't fit either of those criteria.

One team that may bear watching is the Eagles, where former Titans defensive line coach Jim Washburn was just hired and signed to a three-year deal. Washburn is one of the best, and while Haynesworth was a headache for him at times, Haynesworth has almost always played hard for him.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17542003

He couldn't even pass a physical for Shanny in the beginning of last year, and once he got his money he didn't do crap. He might try harder in a 4-3 defense though. Is the only bright spot about him.

Day1BroncoFan
03-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Haynesworth won't be in Denver.

If Fox brings him here then he isn't as smart as I think he is.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Considering he has stated Orton would start over Tebow if we played a game next Sunday, I'm already going to go ahead and assume he isn't as smart as I thought.

I wouldn't mind Haynesworth though. He plays strong when he's happy, and our defense needs some saltiness.

An interior of Haynesworth and Fairley would be awesome.

BeefStew25
03-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Considering he has stated Orton would start over Tebow if we played a game next Sunday, I'm already going to go ahead and assume he isn't as smart as I thought.

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

See, Fox and Elway know about this thing called leverage. Leverage is pretending things are cool, as to not drive someone's value down. Treat them like the starting QB that some teams wants.

Man I am glad the kiddies aren't in control anymore.

zbeg
03-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Depends on what he costs. If he's cheap, then you absolutely can get good value. He's still going to be worlds better than your average d-lineman, so if he comes at an average d-lineman cost, then you take that deal in a heartbeat.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2011, 08:25 PM
If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

See, Fox and Elway know about this thing called leverage. Leverage is pretending things are cool, as to not drive someone's value down. Treat them like the starting QB that some teams wants.

Man I am glad the kiddies aren't in control anymore.

The kiddie in Pat Bowlen has been in control this entire time. Apparently you haven't been paying attention.

BeefStew25
03-07-2011, 08:27 PM
The kiddie in Pat Bowlen has been in control this entire time. Apparently you haven't been paying attention.

Oh you are bitter. I gotcha. Well, if we were chatting in person, I would buy you a shot and a beer. And that the factory will one day reopen.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Oh you are bitter. I gotcha. Well, if we were chatting in person, I would buy you a shot and a beer. And that the factory will one day reopen.

There's no bitterness with an emerging incompetent owner who is heading down Al Davis Boulevard. It's simply called unhappiness.

:(

BeefStew25
03-07-2011, 08:36 PM
There's no bitterness with an emerging incompetent owner who is heading down Al Davis Boulevard. It's simply called unhappiness.

:(

Sometimes there is no explanation other than McD was a bad hire. Cool your jets.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2011, 08:44 PM
The hire was a nice leap of faith that just didn't work out.

Handing the keys of the entire organization and then playing puppet to a 32 year old virgin HC is an extremely questionable lack of judgment. At best.

There is still time for John Fox to come in and be that speed bump preventing Bowlen from reaching his undesired destination. We will see in the next 2 football seasons.

BeefStew25
03-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I am comfortable with our situation right now.

Silk, being postive is free. Herpes is free also.

rcsodak
03-07-2011, 09:11 PM
I am comfortable with our situation right now.

Silk, being postive is free. Herpes is free also.
Beef, does it sting as bad as I heard, when you pee?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoStud
03-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Where IS Albert a good fit?

PAINTERDAVE
03-07-2011, 11:05 PM
haynesworth seems like the poster child for NOT paying a bunch of guaranteed money to these guys...

They make a ton... then could not give a rip.

I wonder what Marshall will do in Miami this year?
He got a ton , too.

Champ is on a deal where he gets paid when he plays well...
nand he was glad to take the deal.

Just sayin'...