PDA

View Full Version : Alabama DT Marcell Dareus caught Broncos' attention at NFL combine

TXBRONC
03-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Alabama DT Marcell Dareus caught Broncos' attention at NFL combine
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/03/2011 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 03/03/2011 08:06:11 AM MST

Now that the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis is over, here are a few draft prospects who caught the attention of the Broncos and other teams:

Alabama's Marcell Dareus, a 6-foot-3-1/2, 319-pound defensive tackle. NFL scouts like him more each time they look at him. Dareus played in a pro-style environment at Alabama designed by coach Nick Saban, so scouts see him as a safe pick for a team looking for a productive interior lineman. He may have nudged his way into the top 10.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17522231

Apparently Peterson wasn't the only player that caught Denver's eye.

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Apparently Peterson wasn't the only player that caught Denver's eye.
Sooooooo...he WASN'T in the top 10 to begin with? HUH?????
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
03-03-2011, 11:31 AM

As far as I know he's never been out of the top ten.

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 11:46 AM
As far as I know he's never been out of the top ten.
Exactly. Maybe nobody told the DP.

TXBRONC
03-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Exactly. Maybe nobody told the DP.

That could be. :lol:

SOCALORADO.
03-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Dareus is only a few milliseconds behind Pat Peterson in the 40, and he weighs 100 more lbs.
Obvious choice to play any position on defense.

Dean
03-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I would sure be pleased to get a real, honest to goodness, athletically gifted defensive tackle. Controling the middle requires a specially gifted player or players. They stop the run and allow the D-ends one on one match ups in the passing game. I've wanted one for at least a decade without satifaction. :confused:

Sorry, I bet my wanting him will be the kiss of death insuring that the front office goes in another direction. Maybe I should wish for offensive players and corners???? ;)

NightTerror218
03-03-2011, 12:32 PM

Denver interviewed like 60 players at the combine....so I bet a lot caught their eye

Lonestar
03-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Good post Dean I think your standing in that same line I am right behind me.

Going on a decade. Let hope a Defensive HC will figure it out. get it right and build from the LOS back.

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Dareus is only a few milliseconds behind Pat Peterson in the 40, and he weighs 100 more lbs.
Obvious choice to play any position on defense.
You do know what a millisecond is, right?
:rolleyes:

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Denver interviewed like 60 players at the combine....so I bet a lot caught their eye
I should hope....just don't let the DP know. They might spill more beans.

SOCALORADO.
03-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Dareus could easily play any DB spot.
He has tiger-like reflexes, and can get to the QB in milliseconds.
He could cover any WR out there, and then pancake them.
Going by Dareus 10 yard split, he would have beaten Peterson in the 100, or the mile for that matter.
Its science.

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Going by Dareus 10 yard split, he would have beaten Peterson in the 100, or the mile for that matter.
Its science.

Nice cover.

TXBRONC
03-04-2011, 12:08 PM

I wouldn't doubt it but not all of them could potentially be the number two overall pick in the draft.

topscribe
03-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Its science.

Good grief, SoCal. You're saying Dareus could play CB?

-----

TXBRONC
03-04-2011, 12:13 PM

-----

He's versatile. :shocked: :lol:

SOCALORADO.
03-04-2011, 12:16 PM

-----

And DT at the same time! His millisecond time is just incredible.
Just ask rcsodak.

rcsodak
03-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't doubt it but not all of them could potentially be the number two overall pick in the draft.
8-10 per elway and xanders (and other FO peeps)

rcsodak
03-04-2011, 12:43 PM
And DT at the same time! His millisecond time is just incredible.
Just ask rcsodak.
You're the one that claimed it. Can't help it you exaggerated (at best)/didn't know the difference(at worst). :laugh:

TXBRONC
03-04-2011, 12:53 PM
8-10 per elway and xanders (and other FO peeps)

Do you mean that 8-10 of the players interviewed are potentially the number two pick in the draft?

SOCALORADO.
03-04-2011, 01:03 PM
You're the one that claimed it. Can't help it you exaggerated (at best)/didn't know the difference(at worst). :laugh:

I didnt claim anything. Its science. Like Global Warmimg.
;)
Your just mad cause Dareus can outrun Peterson.

rcsodak
03-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Do you mean that 8-10 of the players interviewed are potentially the number two pick in the draft?They both (among others) have stated there are 8-10 players they could choose at the top, as of right now.

rcsodak
03-04-2011, 01:06 PM
;)
Globull Warming?
and if you're intimating I am in any way for peterson @ #2, you're not paying attention.

topscribe
03-04-2011, 01:07 PM
;)

Okay. I get it. All in good fun, right?

Don't wear it out.

:focus:

-----

SOCALORADO.
03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Okay. I get it. All in good fun, right?

Don't wear it out.

:focus:

-----

Yeah, i guess i gotta put up sarcasm alerts for sodak.
My bad, i just figured by now, that everyone knew i am pure sarcasm.
(sacasm off!)
And yes, sodak its bull.

(sarcasm back on!)

rcsodak
03-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah, i guess i gotta put up sarcasm alerts for sodak.
My bad, i just figured by now, that everyone knew i am pure sarcasm.
(sacasm off!)
And yes, sodak its bull.

(sarcasm back on!)

Its obvious neither of us are Honz.

SOCALORADO.
03-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Its obvious neither of us are Honz.

http://dailybail.com/storage/global%20warming%202.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSIO N=1265575185481

rcsodak
03-04-2011, 02:22 PM
http://dailybail.com/storage/global%20warming%202.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSIO N=1265575185481
You can thank him every time you make a utility payment.

bcbronc
03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
You can thank him every time you make a utility payment.

maybe this stoopid talk is better suited to the stoopid forum.

rcsodak
03-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Brooks reid(sp) LB. Same 10yd split as AJGreen. Anybody got anything on him?

rcsodak
03-04-2011, 04:44 PM
maybe this stoopid talk is better suited to the stoopid forum.chill, lucille

bcbronc
03-04-2011, 05:13 PM
chill, lucille

just trying to live by the CoC. don't be afraid to try it one day, Desi. :welcome:

TXBRONC
03-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Insulting one another doesn't help either. :focus:

rcsodak
03-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Insulting one another doesn't help either. :focus:
Friendly banter, tx. Bucking for mod?

FanInAZ
03-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Friendly banter, tx. Bucking for mod?

I don't know about that, but the rules pertaining to the expressing of political viewpoints was established for a reason. One quick political jab can snowball and take an entire thread into the toilet unless a mod puts their foot down.

topscribe
03-04-2011, 09:04 PM
I don't know about that, but the rules pertaining to the expressing of political viewpoints was established for a reason. One quick political jab can snowball and take an entire thread into the toilet unless a mod puts their foot down.

True, but a mod hasn't done that yet . . .

-----

HORSEPOWER 56
03-04-2011, 09:09 PM

-----

Dareus might struggle a little with his deep speed and downfield coverage, but I doubt there are many WRs in this league that could get a free release if he decides to jam them...

:D

I think it would be hilarious to see someone line a guy up like Dareus at CB and just watch him knock the WR on his ass at the LOS while playing bump and run, or as I like to call it, bump and the WR falls down...

;)

topscribe
03-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Dareus might struggle a little with his deep speed and downfield coverage, but I doubt there are many WRs in this league that could get a free release if he decides to jam them...

I think it would be hilarious to see someone line a guy up like Dareus at CB and just watch him knock the WR on his ass at the LOS while playing bump and run, or as I like to call it, bump and the WR falls down...

;)

How about watching the RB trying to block him as he blitzes from the CB position? :lol:

-----

Magnificent Seven
03-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Bowers is a safe pick.

TXBRONC
03-05-2011, 12:10 AM

;)

I think Dareus is better suited to play safety because his deep speed is just shade to slow for a corner back. Maybe he could be a nickle back? :ponder:

rcsodak
03-05-2011, 01:43 PM
I think Dareus is better suited to play safety because his deep speed is just shade to slow for a corner back. Maybe he could be a nickle back? :ponder:
Tebow on offense.
Darius on defense.
Flip a coin on who plays st's.
Trade the rest for cash.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Draft Dareus. That is all.

TXBRONC
03-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Draft Dareus. That is all.

Dareus would/will be a terrific pick but I think should go ahead and use those five other picks as well. :D

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Dareus would/will be a terrific pick but I think should go ahead and use those five other picks as well. :D

Nice...

...but I meant "that is all" as the end of my statement, not don't make any picks after him.

...but I also think you knew that.

rcsodak
03-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Guys on Sirius were in a discussion with a caller re: denvers pick. They were touching on all the bpa's at each position....debating who denver might take.
They made an interesting comparison of dareus with another 1sr round pick....of the Cowboys.

Russell Maryland.

TXBRONC
03-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Nice...

...but I meant "that is all" as the end of my statement, not don't make any picks after him.

...but I also think you knew that.

Yes I knew what you meant. :D

Agent of Orange
03-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I don't think he's worth the 2nd overall pick. For DTs, Id rather go by game tape.

Buff
03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't think he's worth the 2nd overall pick. For DTs, Id rather go by game tape.

You mean, like this?

JfHwrkeP-Cw

BroncoNut
03-08-2011, 08:17 PM

and surely you know what 100 lbs is right? :rolleyes: good shit TXB :2thumbs:

Agent of Orange
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
You mean, like this?

JfHwrkeP-Cw

Im not sure what you're trying to prove with that. I realize its fun watching that interception TD over and over but, unfortunately, its not really what a DT mainly does.

Buff
03-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Im not sure what you're trying to prove with that. I realize its fun watching that interception TD over and over but, unfortunately, its not really what a DT mainly does.

I understand that. But there is plenty of good film on Dareus shedding blocks and collapsing the pocket in the best football conference in the nation, so I was making light of your statement by showing he has proven to be an impact player on the biggest stage possible... Like, what more can the guy do?

Agent of Orange
03-08-2011, 08:35 PM
I understand that. But there is plenty of good film on Dareus shedding blocks and collapsing the pocket in the best football conference in the nation, so I was making light of your statement by showing he has proven to be an impact player on the biggest stage possible... Like, what more can the guy do?

Be better than Nick Fairley. The thing is, a big part of Nick Fairley's value is his demonstrated ability to generate push up the middle. When you look at Fairley and Dareus last year, there are far more examples of Fairley generating pressure. If not Fairley, then they should really consider Bowers.

Buff
03-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Be better tha Nick Fairley. The thing is, a big part of Nick Fairley's value is his demonstrated ability to generate push up the middle. When you look at Fairley and Dareus last year, there are far more examples of Fairley generating pressure. If not Fairley, then they should really consider Bowers.

I'd still prefer Fairley to Dareus too. But, I think either guy is worthy of the #2 pick.

I wouldn't hate Bowers, but the knee surgery scares the shit out of me. So I'd hope our medical staff is 1000% sure that he's worthy of that kind of risk before we take him over one of those two guys.

BigDaddyBronco
03-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Be better than Nick Fairley. The thing is, a big part of Nick Fairley's value is his demonstrated ability to generate push up the middle. When you look at Fairley and Dareus last year, there are far more examples of Fairley generating pressure. If not Fairley, then they should really consider Bowers.

And what did Fairley do in 2009?

BroncoNut
03-08-2011, 08:47 PM

what'd did you want him to do BDB? whistle dixie out of his *******? College stats are bs, especially in the senior or last year. this kid would be great under the right NFL management and is definitely worth considering at this point and time. Nothing to sneeze at anyway.

Agent of Orange
03-08-2011, 08:48 PM
I'd still prefer Fairley to Dareus too. But, I think either guy is worthy of the #2 pick.
I wouldn't hate Bowers, but the knee surgery scares the shit out of me. So I'd hope our medical staff is 1000% sure that he's worthy of that kind of risk before we take him over one of those two guys.

I dont. We need a pass rush. So unless there is some level of assurance that Dareus can generate a pass rush like Dareus or Bowers, I dont see the value of taking Dareus at 2. I realize Dareus is a nice player but not at 2.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-08-2011, 09:15 PM

I dunno. But Fairley played on the #53 ranked defense in the NCAA this past year and was the star of the defense. Dareus played on the #6 overall defense and was one of several stars.

I'll be happy with either, but I prefer Fairley because from what I've seen, he seems to be more of a playmaker/disruptor. Dareus appears more of a "big body" DT.

Fairley reminds me of Suh, Warren Sapp, or John Randle (always in the backfield). Dareus seems to be more of a Ngata/Kevin Williams type (hold the point of attack and play solid). Either way, it's an improvement.