PDA

View Full Version : Harris, Prater, Vickerson, Thomas, and Woodyard received offers

NightTerror218
03-02-2011, 05:23 PM
from Elways Twitter:

"We extended qualifying offers today to the following Broncos RFAs: R. Harris, M. Prater, M. Thomas, K. Vickerson, W. Woodyard"

I am liking that Harris, Prater and Woodyard got offers. What do you all think?

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Good. I am hoping all of those guys stay.

turftoad
03-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Good start. A couple of starters and couple of good depth guys.

underrated29
03-02-2011, 05:27 PM
i WONDER what we put on harris. 1st? 2nd?

NightTerror218
03-02-2011, 05:28 PM
i WONDER what we put on harris. 1st? 2nd?

Sounds like its a contract extension not a tender.

BORDERLINE
03-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Give Vickerson a real inside presence and he could really show you all something. Not saying he is a dominant player but a very serviceable one.

Love how he plays angry

underrated29
03-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Sounds like its a contract extension not a tender.

EVEN BETTER!!!!!!!!!
:beer:

cuzz4169
03-02-2011, 05:48 PM
have no problem with keeping these guys.

topscribe
03-02-2011, 05:50 PM
have no problem with keeping these guys.

Especially Harris (and Prater, of course). I know a lot of people were unhappy
with him this last year, but he never had completely recovered from his injury.
Besides, who would replace him? We found out the hard way what a disaster it
was without him in he lineup . . .

-----

NightTerror218
03-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Especially Harris (and Prater, of course). I know a lot of people were unhappy
with him this last year, but he never had completely recovered from his injury.
Besides, who would replace him? We found out the hard way what a disaster it
was without him in he lineup . . .

-----

For a great offensive line, the line usually needs to play together and be able to "gel" together. We had how many different set ups for offensive lineman last year. The correct line was finally in place at the end of the year.

underrated29
03-02-2011, 05:58 PM
I wish they would give us the details, how many years etc....I really want us to keep harris. Like really bad.

NightTerror218
03-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I wish they would give us the details, how many years etc....I really want us to keep harris. Like really bad.

I would guess details would come after they sign

frauschieze
03-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Does anyone know what is meant by "qualifying offer"? Qualifying for what?

It sounds like it has something to do with the status of the CBA and not losing the rights to these players, but that's just my thoughts. I'd love to know for sure.

GEM
03-02-2011, 06:22 PM
From the blog posting it means that other teams can offer for them and the Broncos have first choice of matching offers.

frauschieze
03-02-2011, 06:23 PM
From the blog posting it means that other teams can offer for them and the Broncos have first choice of matching offers.

So, I'm just slow and this is just restricted free agency?.

Edit: Also....what blog post? Do you have a link? All I've seen is the twitter statements.

GEM
03-02-2011, 06:24 PM
http://http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/qualifying-offers-extended/

The announcement means the team retains the right to match any offer extended to the restricted free agents by another club. Teams may not begin negotiating with the restricted free agents until the start of the new league year, the date of which will depend on the signing of a new collective bargaining agreement.

Sorry, it was from the actual blog post, not from the tweet.

underrated29
03-02-2011, 06:24 PM

eh dangit. That is what i thought.

So it brings me back to my original post. I wonder what rounds we put on harris. 1st/2nd- original round tender (which would be a 3rd)

frauschieze
03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks GEM!

GEM
03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
The must keeps there are Prater and Harris. Hopefully when we finally have a season, we are able to actually get a contract. This is the same as they did for Kuper. They put this restricted tag on him and then a couple weeks later they signed him to a contract.

I would love to keep the other 2 but they aren't must haves.

frauschieze
03-02-2011, 06:26 PM
eh dangit. That is what i thought.

So it brings me back to my original post. I wonder what rounds we put on harris. 1st/2nd- original round tender (which would be a 3rd)

I wonder if the tenders are in play right now....or if they'll be addressed in the new CBA.

If no one can talk to anyone......

GEM
03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
I would think that they are able to talk up until tomorrow, but I doubt many are dealing with that right now. They are mostly cutting players that are due huge amounts of money. Back when the last CBA shakeup happened, that was how we lost Putz, Pryce and Anderson.

TXBRONC
03-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Good I was hoping that they would extend an offer to Harris. :elefant:

TXBRONC
03-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Does anyone else think the timing of these contract extention offers seem a little bit odd? We are little more than two days way from a potential lockout and the front office is making contract offers to several veterans.

rationalfan
03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
y'all might not care about this but i'm continually fascinated by the information coming out of Dove Valley this offseason. Case in point: Ryan Harris

There were several local (denver) and national reports Harris was on his way out this offseason, that the team didn't want him anymore. Now, they tender an offer on him. it doesn't guarantee he'll be here next year, but if it's a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round tender it means they want him.

What's so interesting is that Elway's setting up the idea that the broncos have become one of the most transparent teams in the league with him announcing cuts, hirings, etc. through social media. Yet, i think it's a smokescreen, because some of the most shocking/interesting broncos news hasn't been leaked at all this offseason. despite being "open" with their business the broncos brass has been very crafty with keeping information in-house.

again, this might just mean the broncos beat writers are very inadequate.

GEM
03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
y'all might not care about this but i'm continually fascinated by the information coming out of Dove Valley this offseason. Case in point: Ryan Harris

There were several local (denver) and national reports Harris was on his way out this offseason, that the team didn't want him anymore. Now, they tender an offer on him. it doesn't guarantee he'll be here next year, but if it's a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round tender it means they want him.

What's so interesting is that Elway's setting up the idea that the broncos have become one of the most transparent teams in the league with him announcing cuts, hirings, etc. through social media. Yet, i think it's a smokescreen, because some of the most shocking/interesting broncos news hasn't been leaked at all this offseason. despite being "open" with their business the broncos brass has been very crafty with keeping information in-house.

If I remember correctly, those reports were coming out when McDaniels was still here. I don't think he had a use for Harris. Before him though, Denver was said to have one of the best sets of bookends in the league.

rationalfan
03-02-2011, 07:03 PM
If I remember correctly, those reports were coming out when McDaniels was still here. I don't think he had a use for Harris. Before him though, Denver was said to have one of the best sets of bookends in the league.

i think you're right, they manifested during McD's time here. if true, it's amazing how much old information is reprocessed as "new"; like the tebow/elway trade rumors, it needs to die.

NightTerror218
03-02-2011, 07:06 PM
i think you're right, they manifested during McD's time here. if true, it's amazing how much old information is reprocessed as "new"; like the tebow/elway trade rumors, it needs to die.

and a lot of them are from before Fox was here to help with decisions on personnel

PAINTERDAVE
03-02-2011, 07:58 PM
I like the moves... we need to solidify before the draft... since free agency is going to be non-existant.

I REALLY like that they CUT TE Daniel Graham... dude has hands of stone.

All good moves.

dogfish
03-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know what is meant by "qualifying offer"? Qualifying for what?

It sounds like it has something to do with the status of the CBA and not losing the rights to these players, but that's just my thoughts. I'd love to know for sure.

we're just being pro-active-- it doesn't mean anything as of right now, and probably won't in at least some cases (like harris). . . we tendered them as restricted free agents in case the new CBA requires more than the current four years of service necessary to reach unrestricted free agency. . .

remember how doom and kuper were RFAs last year because the rules of the uncapped year were different, and required more years of service to reach UFA status? we're applying these tenders now in case the new CBA requires more than four years, but don't count on that at all-- the union is HIGHLY unlikely to budge on that IMO, and as far as i know it's not even a big point of contention. . .

most likely scenario? the new CBA goes back to four years for UFA, and the tenders placed on fifth-year guys like harris and thomas become meaningless. . .

edit:

Teams are applying the tenders because the rules of the uncapped year make players eligible for unrestricted free agency only after racking up six years of service. If the new labor deal (when there’s a new labor deal) reduces the threshold to the capped-year minimum of four, the RFA tenders presumably will evaporate.

So why are teams treating players who are destined to be unrestricted as if they’re restricted? It’s all part of the leverage game; if/when the union begins to make concessions on issues like the revenue formula or the length of the season or the rookie wage scale, the league can agree to move the trigger for unrestricted free agency from six to four years, and the players will be able to claim that they scored a victory at the bargaining table.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/02/vikings-issue-rfa-tenders-to-sidney-rice-ray-edwards-three-others/

dogfish
03-02-2011, 08:42 PM

not entirely correct, toots. . . it has come out since that McD tried to trade harris, but the article in the post that started the recent rumor was based on comments elway made (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17028788#ixzz1AMkqqPwD) during a january press conference about possibly needing to fill the right tackle spot going forward. . . i'm guessing that, if we are having second thoughts, it's because fox runs the ZBS and he and OL coach dave magazu are interested in keeping harris. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Does anyone else think the timing of these contract extention offers seem a little bit odd? We are little more than two days way from a potential lockout and the front office is making contract offers to several veterans.

It's so that the instant the new CBA is finished, these guys don't instantly become FAs. Anything that happens before the old CBA expires tomorrow at midnight is still binding after the new CBA takes affect. That's why signing Champ was such a big deal because he doesn't get to "test the market".

All placing these tenders o them does is give us the right of first refusal on these guys whenever FA actually begins and allows us to get compensation if they get offered more than we're willing to pay. I think this was a hella smart move.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-02-2011, 09:14 PM
not entirely correct, toots. . . it has come out since that McD tried to trade harris, but the article in the post that started the recent rumor was based on comments elway made (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17028788#ixzz1AMkqqPwD) during a january press conference about possibly needing to fill the right tackle spot going forward. . . i'm guessing that, if we are having second thoughts, it's because fox runs the ZBS and he and OL coach dave magazu are interested in keeping harris. . .

Lol... toots... :)

Hopefully it allows them (re: Harris) to ignore any OT's falling and concentrated instead on a b/u or sleeper OT in the late rounds...

Unless, of course, the guys we really want are gone... :(

underrated29
03-02-2011, 10:30 PM

Aha, dog beat me to the punch. Elway did make comments about harris not coming back. sa he so clearly pointed out below.

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 10:48 AM

No alot of teams are doing this because of the uncertainty of the RFA/UFA. They're covering their asses so they don't lose the players' rights.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

NightTerror218
03-03-2011, 01:47 PM
So Harris and Prater got 2nd rounder tenders and the other 3 got original tenders

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Broncos don't re-sign Laurence Maroney

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17530811

Buff
03-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Harris is overrated.

underrated29
03-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Harris is overrated.

Not when Russ Hochstein is his backup.

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM

Think you hit it outta the park with your last sentence. NOWHERE did the FO come out and say" we are not going to offer a contract to RHarris". But we did see the FO say they might have to address the T position (because of free agency).
IMO, this is just a madeup story by the denver media at the worst. A POORLY researched story at the best. Regardless, they saw a glimmer of light and decided to go for it.

Either that, or the FO second guessed themselves after Fox said they were going back to the ZBS.
But I'm into conspiracy theorys and despise most journalists, so I'm sticking with the previous. :elefant:

Buff
03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Not when Russ Hochstein is his backup.

Maybe we ought to find a lineman who hasn't had his spine fused together?

Just a thought.

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 03:29 PM
"Tebow/elway trade?"

HOLY CAAARAP! :eek:

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Aha, dog beat me to the punch. Elway did make comments about harris not coming back. sa he so clearly pointed out below.

I see a journalist loosely translating what he thinks elway said or meant. Or did I miss a quote somewhere?

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Maybe we ought to find a lineman who hasn't had his spine fused together?

Just a thought.
Wasn't it his toe that kept him out last year?