PDA

View Full Version : We have more picks than #2

BigSarge87
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Most of the discussion on here has been about our first pick. I'm interested to hear opinions on the next 2 (or 3).

I'm just as excited about these picks because It's likely at least a few of the 1st round rated defensive players will still be available for both our 2nd round picks. It's not a stretch to think one of these choices will make as much of an impact on our new team as our #2 pick.

Who do you hope drops to us at 2A/2B?

TXBRONC
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Most of the discussion on here has been about our first pick. I'm interested to hear opinions on the next 2 (or 3).

I'm just as excited about these picks because It's likely at least a few of the 1st round rated defensive players will still be available for both our 2nd round picks. It's not a stretch to think one of these choices will make as much of an impact on our new team as our #2 pick.

Who do you hope drops to us at 2A/2B?

It depends on who we get in the first round. :D

BigSarge87
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
It depends on who we get in the first round. :D

That's kind of where I was going with that. If we go Dareus first, do we go DT/DE 2A/2B? What late 1st round CB's would be considered? If the TE from ND is there do we take a chance on him? I just thought it would better to discuss it in one thread than see a new thread for every guy out there.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
I want DL at every pick. In the second, it's going to be a prime opportunity to get at some of those first round talents that drop out and guys already projected to be there. Guys like Austin, Paea, Bailey, Beal, Acho, Taylor, Powe, etc are all guys to look at to try to make this team better up front.

The LB class is poor and I'd rather find a FA somewhere to fill a hole and not reach on a guy like Martez Wilson.

Safety would be nice too, but there are also a good amount of FA Safeties that are better than what we have to look at.

Montana Battlin Bear
03-02-2011, 03:57 PM
I'd like to look at

Corey Liuget, Cameron Heyward, Martez Wilson, Greg Jones, Stephen Paea, Phil Taylor, Kyle Rudolph, Rahim Moore, Bruce Carter, Kelvin Shepherd, Marvin Austin, Allen Bailey, Quan Sturdivant, and Ahmad Black

My ranking for them are
1. Corey Liuget
2. Stephen Paea
3. Phil Taylor
4. Martez Wilson
5. Cameron Heyward
6. Rahim Moore
7. Greg Jones
8. Kyle Rudolph
9. Bruce Carter
10. Marvin Austin
11. Ahmad Black
12. Allen Bailey
13. Quan Sturdivant
14. Kelvin Sheperd

BigSarge87
03-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Looking at these lists might give us a little more insight to what they are inclined to do with Free Agents (if possible) and the first pick.

Where's the MLB we need? Wilson is a 3-4 ILB and would have to bulk up and learn to play in a 4-3. No thanks.

I too would like to see them draft all DL. Anyone see Kerrigan falling to our 2A? Heyward? Paea would be a great run stuffing DL who, with the strength he showed at the combine, could be good at collapsing the pocket also.

Dareus, Kerrigan (Or Heyward), Paea, Austin.....That would please me.

I Eat Staples
03-02-2011, 04:31 PM
The title of this thread thoroughly shocked me. I feel enlightened.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
I wonder if Denver spends one of their 2nd's on a TE?

God I hope not.

underrated29
03-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Looking at these lists might give us a little more insight to what they are inclined to do with Free Agents (if possible) and the first pick.

Where's the MLB we need? Wilson is a 3-4 ILB and would have to bulk up and learn to play in a 4-3. No thanks.

I too would like to see them draft all DL. Anyone see Kerrigan falling to our 2A? Heyward? Paea would be a great run stuffing DL who, with the strength he showed at the combine, could be good at collapsing the pocket also.

Kerrigan will not make it out of round 1. I just do not see that happening.

I also do not want to waste, not really waste, but i feel our 2nds could be better used on other positions than TE. So no Rudolph for me.

I am really warming up to sears though. He is the TE i want.

BigSarge87
03-02-2011, 04:36 PM
The title of this thread thoroughly shocked me. I feel enlightened.

Just wanted to give you another opportunity to show everyone how cleverly sarcastic you can be. Bring on the High Fives for Staples!!!! WooHoo!

:tsk:

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Kerrigan will not make it out of round 1. I just do not see that happening.

I also do not want to waste, not really waste, but i feel our 2nds could be better used on other positions than TE. So no Rudolph for me.

I am really warming up to sears though. He is the TE i want.

I think TE becomes a low priority position for us. Everyone wants that great TE who can be an outlet for Tebow, but the fact of the matter is, Fox valued run blocking TE's in Carolina and that's it. They were never part of his offense and I don't think they will be in Denver.

I would imagine Denver will probably go the free agency route and get a glorified blocker playing the TE position.

underrated29
03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
I think TE becomes a low priority position for us. Everyone wants that great TE who can be an outlet for Tebow, but the fact of the matter is, Fox valued run blocking TE's in Carolina and that's it. They were never part of his offense and I don't think they will be in Denver.

I would imagine Denver will probably go the free agency route and get a glorified blocker playing the TE position.

This is actually what I prefer.

S, LB, TE - all through FA

BigSarge87
03-02-2011, 04:42 PM

If that's the case I would rather them ignore TE altogether this year and make better use of the picks.

dogfish
03-02-2011, 04:43 PM
who do i HOPE drops? stephen paea. . . or one out of JJ watt, cameron jordan, adrian clayborne or ryan kerrigan gets lost in the shuffle. . .

aside from wet dream scenarios? i'd say phil taylor. . . the DLs i think we'll realistically be picking from there include marvin austin, cameron heyward, drake nevis, jurrell casey, allen bailey and christian ballard. . .

CBs brandon harris and jimmy smith are the other guys i think we might take a long look at at #36. . . i haven't followed the OT group, but i'm guessing derek sherrod might be there, and there are a few other tackles. . . martez wilson is probably the only LB worth a look, though i'm not a fan. . . if we take a safety based on the current projections, xanders should probably be taken out back and put out of his misery. . .

i suppose mikel leshoure could be a wild card there, or kyle rudolph. . .

BigSarge87
03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
who do i HOPE drops? stephen paea. . . or one out of JJ watt, cameron jordan, adrian clayborne or ryan kerrigan gets lost in the shuffle. . .

aside from wet dream scenarios? i'd say phil taylor. . . the DLs i think we'll realistically be picking from there include marvin austin, cameron heyward, drake nevis, jurrell casey, allen bailey and christian ballard. . .

CBs brandon harris and jimmy smith are the other guys i think we might take a long look at at #36. . . i haven't followed the OT group, but i'm guessing derek sherrod might be there, and there are a few other tackles. . . martez wilson is probably the only LB worth a look, though i'm not a fan. . . if we take a safety based on the current projections, xanders should probably be taken out back and put out of his misery. . .

i suppose mikel leshoure could be a wild card there, or kyle rudolph. . .

That's what is so exciting about those picks, there's a LOT of 1st round talent, not all of it can go in the first round.

There's been a lot of talk about how great the OL are early in the draft too. If one of those guys falls to the 2nd round, IDK, 1st round OL are usually safer picks, are they not?

rcsodak
03-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Did Paea show his strength, or weightlifting prowess? Doesn't he have short arms? I could always outlift guys that were bigger because I had shorter arms. Same with arm wrestling.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

SOCALORADO.
03-02-2011, 05:13 PM
I'd like to look at

Corey Liuget, Cameron Heyward, Martez Wilson, Greg Jones, Stephen Paea, Phil Taylor, Kyle Rudolph, Rahim Moore, Bruce Carter, Kelvin Shepherd, Marvin Austin, Allen Bailey, Quan Sturdivant, and Ahmad Black

My ranking for them are
1. Corey Liuget
2. Stephen Paea
3. Phil Taylor
4. Martez Wilson
5. Cameron Heyward
6. Rahim Moore
7. Greg Jones
8. Kyle Rudolph
9. Bruce Carter
10. Marvin Austin
11. Ahmad Black
12. Allen Bailey
13. Quan Sturdivant
14. Kelvin Sheperd
3rd
15. Drake Nevis
16. Jarvis Jenkins
17. Jurell Casey

G_Money
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Absolutely right, short arms help him.

But they don't help him all the way to the combine record. He's got amazing strength regardless of arm length, and he leverages it well on the field. I don't think he's a star but he can be a wrecking ball nonetheless.

He doesn't get moved. USC's interior looked like retarded infants trying to get the dude out of the hole.

I'm normally not a fan of guys who just lift well, but Paea's a good athlete too and becoming a better football player. No, his arms aren't long but the interior of the line is where you put those guys. Long arms are needed on outside pass rushers and blockers. Tackles with short arms are trouble, but centers can be just fine. It's really hard to hold a guy off you when he's starting 6 inches from your face, so longer arms matter less.

Paea has loads of potential. I wouldn't complain if he came to us in the 2nd. Having someone who can plug a hole and stop the run would be such a new experience I might fall off my couch in shock and awe, but it's worth the risk.

~G

dogfish
03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
yep. . .

RC, don't make the mistake of thinking paea is just getting hyped because of the bench press record-- he's a legitimate player, he was being projected as a later first to mid-second before the combine. . . everyone knew he would lift well, it didn't come out of nowhere. . . mayock says paea's weight room strength transitions well to the field. . .

i'd love to draft him-- i think he'll crush the run from the one-technique, and his probable ability to play the five-technique at least part-time would give us some schematic versatility going forward. . .

SOCALORADO.
03-02-2011, 05:37 PM
yep. . .

RC, don't make the mistake of thinking paea is just getting hyped because of the bench press record-- he's a legitimate player, he was being projected as a later first to mid-second before the combine. . . everyone knew he would lift well, it didn't come out of nowhere. . . mayock says paea's weight room strength transitions well to the field. . .

i'd love to draft him-- i think he'll crush the run from the one-technique, and his probable ability to play the five-technique would give us some schematic versatility going forward. . .

DEN desperately needs more than one high DT. And Paea at #36 would be perfect.
And your right, SC just basically gave up on moving him. It was laughable.
Getting DThomas and Vickerson signed is a good start, but DEN needs some true ballers up front to just destroy and kill.

silkamilkamonico
03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Unless people are thinking to draft Paea with the #2 overall pick, we're not getting him at #34. He's probably going top 20 after his combine.

underrated29
03-02-2011, 05:51 PM
fairley, dareus, wilkerson, paea, taylor, luiget,

Are not all going to go in rd 1.

Then theres still guys like, casey, jenkins, austin, nevis, ballard. who might be there in late 2 or 3.

With all the WR and DE and QB and CB and RB and OL.....Those guys are going to fall.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2011, 06:03 PM
fairley, dareus, wilkerson, paea, taylor, luiget,

Are not all going to go in rd 1.

Then theres still guys like, casey, jenkins, austin, nevis, ballard. who might be there in late 2 or 3.

With all the WR and DE and QB and CB and RB and OL.....Those guys are going to fall.

That's what I'm thinking. You haven't even tapped all the DE talent (8-10 with a first round grade). This is a great year to have 2 high 2nd round picks and needs on the DL.

BigSarge87
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
That's what I'm thinking. You haven't even tapped all the DE talent (8-10 with a first round grade). This is a great year to have 2 high 2nd round picks and needs on the DL.

Yes Sir! It's possible we get 3 1st round talent guys from those picks. If they dedicate them all to DL and pick up a decent FA safety and MLB, there's no reason the defense shouldn't be drastically better this year. (and twice that good in 2012)

Bullgator
03-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Ahmad Black would be a steal in the third.. although i suspect he would be snapped up by then.

PAINTERDAVE
03-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Isn't it 4 picks in the top 67?

I also would not be surprised to see 'em trade around and get extra picks...

I Eat Staples
03-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Unless people are thinking to draft Paea with the #2 overall pick, we're not getting him at #34. He's probably going top 20 after his combine.

That's why dog mentioned the wet dream scenario. ;)

Isn't it 4 picks in the top 67?

I also would not be surprised to see 'em trade around and get extra picks...

That shouldn't be a big concern this year. We're still years away from contention, so we need to focus on getting stars/long-term starters with the picks we have. We can worry about acquiring extra picks to round out our team in a few years when we have our core franchise players. Right now, we have next to none, especially on the defensive side and that needs to be addressed in this draft.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-02-2011, 09:31 PM
yep. . .

i'd love to draft him-- i think he'll crush the run from the one-technique, and his probable ability to play the five-technique at least part-time would give us some schematic versatility going forward. . .

Re: Paea... not that I've watched the tape but...

He's hyped because he wins the low man battle making him pretty darn hard to move...

Wouldn't mind him or Wilkerson as versatile run stuffers...