PDA

View Full Version : Combine interviews

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 03:28 PM
I think most people would agree that the interview at the combine is one of the most important components to developing a draft board. The team gets 15 minutes to get to know a guy they are possibly going to invest 10's of millions of dollars in. One of the NFLN announcers made an interesting comment that made a lot of sense, "If I can't trust you broke, I definately can't trust you with 8 million dollars!"

This got me thinking that these interviews can't be as easy as "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" With nearly all of the players being coached on what to say in the interviews, I would imagine it's a challenge for all NFL personnel guys to ask questions that reveal a players true personality.

I'm curious to see what questions you would ask if you were conducting the interview.

I think I would start out with "Is your mother common street trash?" Just to gauge their reaction. JK.

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
I think most people would agree that the interview at the combine is one of the most important components to developing a draft board. The team gets 15 minutes to get to know a guy they are possibly going to invest 10's of millions of dollars in. One of the NFLN announcers made an interesting comment that made a lot of sense, "If I can't trust you broke, I definately can't trust you with 8 million dollars!"

This got me thinking that these interviews can't be as easy as "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?". With nearly all of the players being coached on what to say in the interviews, I would imagine it's a challenge for all NFL personnel guys to ask questions that reveal a players true personality.

I'm curious to see what questions you would ask if you were conducting the interview.

I think I would start out with "Is your mother common street trash?" Just to gauge their reaction. JK.

I read Cam Newton was asked by an Assistant Coach (dunno what team) about his decision in the BSC Championship game to ignore the play given to him by his coach. I heard it took Cam by surprised and he got defensive. I dont know what kind of interview this was for (team, press, ect).

dogfish
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
brian billick was talking about this the other night on NFLN, and he has a specific question designed to break down their preparation-- he asks them "what's the worst thing you've ever gotten away with?"

:heh:

brilliant!

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I read Cam Newton was asked by an Assistant Coach (dunno what team) about his decision in the BSC Championship game to ignore the play given to him by his coach. I heard it took Cam by surprised and he got defensive. I dont know what kind of interview this was for (team, press, ect).

It's not taking much to get him to stick his foot in his mouth. I know this is a little off topic but he's the reason why I hope the NFL wins the CBA shootout. The players already have way too much money and it's ruining the quality of the game.

I wonder how many guys have had great interviews with teams and turned out to be turds.

rationalfan
02-28-2011, 06:00 PM

yes, because it's great to act as stupid as you think the person you're interview is.

seriously, though, i think this, below, is a great example of the interviewing process. it came from the NBA draft a few years ago when the Bulls were trying to determine if they wanted to draft Derek Rose or Michael Beasley:

"During the session with Beasley, there were a couple occasions in which (one of) his (two) cell phones went off. Believe it or not, he answered the calls!

New head coach Vinny Del Negro advised him that he was meeting with the owner and that, at that time, there couldn’t be too many things more important than listening to what Mr. Reinsdorf had to say and answering whatever questions the people at the meeting had of him. When Reinsdorf posed the question, “What about college basketball bothered you most?” Beasley contemplated for a moment and said, “When you go on the road and the referees make bad calls.”

When it was Rose’s turn in front of the brass, he sat up straight and was totally focused. He had a thorough grasp of the magnitude of the encounter. He put his ego aside. Consider this is a guy who won back-to-back state titles in high school and went 38-2 in his only season in college, dropping the national championship game in overtime. His answer speaks for the kind of guy Derrick Rose is and why he’s destined for (even more) greatness. What was his response to Reinsdorf’s question, “What about college basketball bothered you most?”

“Losing.”

i know it's basketball, but i think that's how you ace a pre-draft interview. and that's the kind of player i want with the broncos.

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
yes, because it's great to act as stupid as you think the person you're interview is.

I was just kidding with that comment. Thus the "JK" at the end. It was more of a joking reference to last year when a player was asked about his mother being a prostitute. Can't remember who that was, but it happened.

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I was just kidding with that comment. Thus the "JK" at the end. It was more of a joking reference to last year when a player was asked about his mother being a prostitute. Can't remember who that was, but it happened.

that was Dez Bryant and was asked by a Miami coach

Montana Battlin Bear
02-28-2011, 10:11 PM

seriously, though, i think this, below, is a great example of the interviewing process. it came from the NBA draft a few years ago when the Bulls were trying to determine if they wanted to draft Derek Rose or Michael Beasley:

"During the session with Beasley, there were a couple occasions in which (one of) his (two) cell phones went off. Believe it or not, he answered the calls!

New head coach Vinny Del Negro advised him that he was meeting with the owner and that, at that time, there couldn’t be too many things more important than listening to what Mr. Reinsdorf had to say and answering whatever questions the people at the meeting had of him. When Reinsdorf posed the question, “What about college basketball bothered you most?” Beasley contemplated for a moment and said, “When you go on the road and the referees make bad calls.”

When it was Rose’s turn in front of the brass, he sat up straight and was totally focused. He had a thorough grasp of the magnitude of the encounter. He put his ego aside. Consider this is a guy who won back-to-back state titles in high school and went 38-2 in his only season in college, dropping the national championship game in overtime. His answer speaks for the kind of guy Derrick Rose is and why he’s destined for (even more) greatness. What was his response to Reinsdorf’s question, “What about college basketball bothered you most?”

“Losing.”

i know it's basketball, but i think that's how you ace a pre-draft interview. and that's the kind of player i want with the broncos.

Derek Rose got busted for having a sit in for the SAT and lying about grades. I don't think he'd be the best example of this. Granted he is one hell of a basketball player he had his own share of problems too.