PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Broncos' Woodyard in position for more playing time, if he returns

TXBRONC
02-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Q&A: Broncos' Woodyard in position for more playing time, if he returns
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/28/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

Q: If head coach John Fox likes speed at linebacker, will Wesley Woodyard have a bigger role on Denver's defense?

A: That's probably up to Woodyard and the NFL's labor negotiators. Woodyard is one of the Denver players who will have an opportunity to earn more playing time. But in the league's collective bargaining agreement that expires this week, Woodyard would be in his first year as a restricted free agent. That means the Broncos would have the right of first refusal if another team signed Woodyard to an offer sheet. But it's unclear what Woodyard's status will be whenever a new CBA is negotiated by the league and the NFL Players Association.

At 222 pounds, Woodyard could fit what Fox looks for in a linebacker. Also, Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen comes from a New Orleans Saints scheme that prefers speed over size.

I wouldn't have problem with Woodyard being a starter. However, if he is then it you got have big space eating defensive tackles who could keep those big offensive linemen off of him.

SOCALORADO.
02-28-2011, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't have problem with Woodyard being a starter. However, if he is then it you got have big space eating defensive tackles who could keep those big offensive linemen off of him.

Woodyard was a beast in Shanny's 4-3 defense.
I could see him getting alot of playing time at MLB.

TXBRONC
02-28-2011, 10:38 AM

I would like him to bulk up a bit no matter what position it is.

Buff
02-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Yeah, he was a leading tackler on a defense that couldn't stop anybody.

I don't see Woodyard as a solution to helping our run defense stop anyone.

TXBRONC
02-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Invest heavily in the front four that can keep offensive linemen off of our linebackers and they'll be fine imo.

SOCALORADO.
02-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Well, with what we got right now, he or Mays are really the best option.
I am not sayin hes a Pro Bowler, but he always makes plays,
and is in his lanes. I would love for DEN to draft a pure 4-3
MLB like Martez Wilson. But no matter what happens, i want
Woodyard to stay in DEN. I think hes solid depth.

Elevation inc
02-28-2011, 12:18 PM

i disagree i think he would thrive at WLB regardless, but that means playing DJ at mike where he sucks....

dogfish
02-28-2011, 12:37 PM
i disagree i think he would thrive at WLB regardless, but that means playing DJ at mike where he sucks....

it could also mean playing DJ at SAM, where he didn't suck. . .

draft fairley/dareus at #2 and someone like cameron heyward, christian ballard or jurrell casey with our second pick. . . sign steven tulloch in free agency and play woody at WILL, tulloch at MIKE and DJ at SAM. . .

Elevation inc
02-28-2011, 12:42 PM
it could also mean playing DJ at SAM, where he didn't suck. . .

draft fairley/dareus at #2 and someone like cameron heyward, christian ballard or jurrell casey with our second pick. . . sign steven tulloch in free agency and play woody at WILL, tulloch at MIKE and DJ at SAM. . .

DJ wont play Sam ever he had his best year there as a LB in denver and the next year whined constantly about how much he hated it which is why the Mike move was made, and he has sucked inside ever since expect he became a hell of a good blitzer last year there...if DJ really wanted to prove his worth in denver he would play Sam becasue he is the Only Lb we have that can cover TE's consistently and effectively outside.....

i would love a WLB woodyard/MLB Mays or haggan/SLB DJ core for the 4-3

but i think Dj gets traded before he plays at SAM again for denver

I also dont think we will be able to afford Tulloch who is the Top ILB for FA's

but if it did happen well dog................SICK!!!!!!!!!

Lonestar
02-28-2011, 12:54 PM
As much as I like woody As a player lots of hustle. I do not think he is really big enough to play LB as an every down player.

And I really do like the kid was an adopted player from the minute we signed him.

A tweener to small to play LB not fast or field enough ro play his natural college spot of FS.

A great ST guy. But I see his future as a back up and a ST guy.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
02-28-2011, 12:54 PM
DJ wont play Sam ever he had his best year there as a LB in denver and the next year whined constantly about how much he hated it which is why the Mike move was made, and he has sucked inside ever since expect he became a hell of a good blitzer last year there...if DJ really wanted to prove his worth in denver he would play Sam becasue he is the Only Lb we have that can cover TE's consistently and effectively outside.....

i would love a WLB woodyard/MLB Mays or haggan/SLB DJ core for the 4-3

but i think Dj gets traded before he plays at SAM again for denver

I also dont think we will be able to afford Tulloch who is the Top ILB for FA's

but if it did happen well dog................SICK!!!!!!!!!

I don't remember him whinning about playing SAM. He just said he didn't like but I think that was about same time moving him to Mike. He's proved his worth imo because he has played all three of those linebacker position for us.

Elevation inc
02-28-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't remember him whinning about playing SAM. He just said he didn't like but I think that was about same time moving him to Mike. He's proved his worth imo because he has played all three of those linebacker position for us.

i disagree, he hasnt proved anything for us... its just my opinion though not fact...quite frankly if DJ wont play SAM though I would trade him...thats just me though....

broncofaninfla
02-28-2011, 01:02 PM
WW was a much better player in the 4/3 than he was in the 3/4. The switch back should benifit him.

TXBRONC
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
WW was a much better player in the 4/3 than he was in the 3/4. The switch back should benifit him.

According to the article Woodyard is just slightly smaller weight wise than a typical linebacker in Fox's system.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Woodyard projects very well as a 4-3 WILL. He's actually bigger than Ian Gold (who was lucky to be 220lbs soaking wet) who played there for us for years.

If we can't/don't pursue LBs in the draft/FA I think our best bet is Woodyard at WILL, DJ at MIKE (unless Mays really surprises), and Haggan/Hunter at SAM.

The reason Woody and DJ are where they are is speed. Pure and simple. both are 4.5 sideline-to-sideline type of 4-3 LBs. Your WILL and MIKE have to be fast in the 4-3. The SAM typically is the biggest/least talented of the group and is the guy who eats blocks from the TE/FB on rushing plays so the MIKE, WILL, and SS can make tackles. It's nice for the SAM to be a decent cover guy for TEs, but really he just needs to get a good jam on the TE so he doesn't get a free release before the SS can assume coverage responsibilities.

This day and age, are there LBs that can effectively cover TEs anymore? If there are, we haven't had any in Denver in YEARS.

BeefStew25
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Joe Mays is going to turn heads this year. Get on the bandwagon now.

Dean
02-28-2011, 11:05 PM
With Doom who is undersized at the LDE, you might not want to have a 220 pound Will LB backing him up. To an offensive coordinator that would be like painting a target for the opponent's running game. The LB behind Doom better be big enough and strong enough to shed blockers. :defense:

That end/linebacker tandem scares me. :eek:

TXBRONC
02-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Woodyard projects very well as a 4-3 WILL. He's actually bigger than Ian Gold (who was lucky to be 220lbs soaking wet) who played there for us for years.

If we can't/don't pursue LBs in the draft/FA I think our best bet is Woodyard at WILL, DJ at MIKE (unless Mays really surprises), and Haggan/Hunter at SAM.

The reason Woody and DJ are where they are is speed. Pure and simple. both are 4.5 sideline-to-sideline type of 4-3 LBs. Your WILL and MIKE have to be fast in the 4-3. The SAM typically is the biggest/least talented of the group and is the guy who eats blocks from the TE/FB on rushing plays so the MIKE, WILL, and SS can make tackles. It's nice for the SAM to be a decent cover guy for TEs, but really he just needs to get a good jam on the TE so he doesn't get a free release before the SS can assume coverage responsibilities.

This day and age, are there LBs that can effectively cover TEs anymore? If there are, we haven't had any in Denver in YEARS.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not sure Haggans or Hunter have the flexibilty in the hips to cover tight ends.

G_Money
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I'd rather play Woodyard at the Mike than DJ. I think Woodyard is at least as good as DJ, and far cheaper. He has better instincts than DJ to boot.

We'll see. I'd sign on to dogfish's plan of Dareus at #2, and I'd be willing to take Miles Austin in the 2nd as well. Woodyard at Will, DJ can play Sam, and I'd like a guy who can read a play to take the Mike position. Ayers and Doom can play the end or rush as a Sam if we get bored scheme-wise.

Big lugs up front and aggressive corners and LBs that can fly around the field. There have been worse plans for a defense. We should know, we've been trying them.

~G

TXBRONC
03-01-2011, 05:52 PM
I'd rather play Woodyard at the Mike than DJ. I think Woodyard is at least as good as DJ, and far cheaper. He has better instincts than DJ to boot.

We'll see. I'd sign on to dogfish's plan of Dareus at #2, and I'd be willing to take Miles Austin in the 2nd as well. Woodyard at Will, DJ can play Sam, and I'd like a guy who can read a play to take the Mike position. Ayers and Doom can play the end or rush as a Sam if we get bored scheme-wise.

Big lugs up front and aggressive corners and LBs that can fly around the field. There have been worse plans for a defense. We should know, we've been trying them.

~G

Good post G.

That aside, are you feeling ok because this is a rather short post for a pontificator and babbler extraordinaire? :D

G_Money
03-01-2011, 07:14 PM
LOL I'm trying to moderate. I don't have time for 2000 word posts. Gotta economize or I can't come around. ;)

~G

dogfish
03-01-2011, 07:35 PM
LOL I'm trying to moderate.

i think it's fair to say we all strive to be like NTL when we can. . .

TXBRONC
03-01-2011, 07:39 PM
i think it's fair to say we all strive to be like NTL when we can. . .

Which aint often. :lol: :bolt:

cuzz4169
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I like him a lot...He is always around the ball. I think the defense could use DJ at MLB and Woodyard at WLB. Or other way around I think Woodyard was a MLB in college. In 2006 he led the sec in tackles 139 to patrick willis 137

Lonestar
03-02-2011, 01:14 AM
I like him a lot...He is always around the ball. I think the defense could use DJ at MLB and Woodyard at WLB. Or other way around I think Woodyard was a MLB in college. In 2006 he led the sec in tackles 139 to patrick willis 137

DJ played wil in college. TE kid that beat him out for DROY played MLB next To him in college went to the jets IIRC.

cuzz4169
03-02-2011, 01:18 AM
DJ played wil in college. TE kid that beat him out for DROY played MLB next To him in college went to the jets IIRC.

Yea I know about DJ...was talking bout woodyard....but he played MLB in college.

TXBRONC
03-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Yea I know about DJ...was talking bout woodyard....but he played MLB in college.

I think Woodyard like D.J. capable of playing all three linebacker positions, I would just like to see him get a little bigger if they make him a starter.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I think Mays (right now) is best suited for the MLB... but also feel that this position is as important to draft as any other.

rcsodak
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
With Doom who is undersized at the LDE, you might not want to have a 220 pound Will LB backing him up. To an offensive coordinator that would be like painting a target for the opponent's running game. The LB behind Doom better be big enough and strong enough to shed blockers. :defense:

That end/linebacker tandem scares me. :eek:
Doom plays RDE.....right? Speed rusher vs bull?

rcsodak
03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
LOL I'm trying to moderate. I don't have time for 2000 word posts. Gotta economize or I can't come around. ;)

~G
Mobilers around the world thank you

TXBRONC
03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
I think Mays (right now) is best suited for the MLB... but also feel that this position is as important to draft as any other.

I could see Mays as our middle linebacker.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't think DJ has ever said he "won't" play anything. I think he's shown pretty clearly throughout his NFL career that he'll play wherever we put him. He's had to be moved all over the LB corp from the 43, to the 34, and he continues to be solid (not great) no matter what we have asked him to do. I don't know why so many seem to be down on this guy purely because he isn't a super star.

I also think that the sentiment around here for Woodyard is a bit too high. I think he's a good fill-in LB and situational player...but I'm not sold on him being an every-down LB.

I do agree with dog, however. If we were to put him in the starting role, I think WLB is the spot and putting DJ back to SLB. Tuloch would be great, but not holding my breath.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't think DJ has ever said he "won't" play anything. I think he's shown pretty clearly throughout his NFL career that he'll play wherever we put him. He's had to be moved all over the LB corp from the 43, to the 34, and he continues to be solid (not great) no matter what we have asked him to do. I don't know why so many seem to be down on this guy purely because he isn't a super star.

I also think that the sentiment around here for Woodyard is a bit too high. I think he's a good fill-in LB and situational player...but I'm not sold on him being an every-down LB.

I do agree with dog, however. If we were to put him in the starting role, I think WLB is the spot and putting DJ back to SLB. Tuloch would be great, but not holding my breath.

I think guys are critical of DJ because he came into the league with a TON of hype. He's the guy Madden said was the "only guy he'd ever seen that he thought could go straight from high school to the pros". He was a first round pick and a lot of folks thought we should've drafted Steven Jackson instead. He has yet to make a probowl or display that he's an impact player. He's been "solid", but he doesn't produce the ints, sacks, FF, and FR that other impact players do. He also isn't elite at any one thing. He routinely gets beat in coverage and isn't exactly a monster vs the run, either.

On top of all that, he's a 2 time offender who hasn't so much as spent one game on the bench. How is it that everyone hated Marshall for his off-field issues when he'd never been convicted of anything, but DJ has been convicted of 2 DUIs and he's still here and the worst that happened to him was he was stripped of his Captaincy.

He hasn't exactly lived up to expectations. He's not a bad player, but he's not a playmaker, either.