PDA

View Full Version : Broncos revamping how they prepare for the draft

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2011, 09:52 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — All through last fall, Broncos scouts crisscrossed the nation as they watched college practices, tracked the progress of prospects and graded every one.

Then head coach Josh McDaniels was fired in early December, and all of those grades as well as his draft strategy were swept out the door.

"We were in a position where we had to basically convert all of the college guys we had looked at on a new scale," Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said. "We had to recalibrate the whole board, redo what we had done."

For the second time in three NFL drafts, the Broncos are disassembling what a fired head coach with complete personnel power had done with a draft board.

The first time, in 2009, it was McDaniels reworking the draft board left behind by Mike Shanahan's regime. That required a five- to six-week sprint to turn what the Broncos had used to grade players for well over a decade into what McDaniels had been a part of with the Patriots.

When the Broncos' 2009 draft was completed, McDaniels said the compressed time frame had impacted the team's performance in the draft.

The Broncos are wrestling with those issues again. They have to revamp how their personnel department grades players and how those players are stacked on the draft board as the April 28-30 event approaches.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17493183

dogfish
02-27-2011, 11:17 PM
does this mean we'll have more than a hundred players on our board?

:megafacepalm:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2011, 11:49 PM
does this mean we'll have more than a hundred players on our board?

:megafacepalm:

In April 2009, the Broncos had fewer than 100 names on their draft board when 256 players were selected in that draft. Many teams were working with draft boards that included more than 300 names. The Broncos likely will be one of those teams this time around.

"It bleeds back to (Bill) Parcells and Belichick," Xanders said. "It's evolved over the years and it's all about their specific role on game day. We've done a lot of work to put the system in place we're going to use. We'll absolutely be ready and have done all our work when it's time to make our picks."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17493183

PAINTERDAVE
02-28-2011, 12:14 AM
"Gone is the "short board" technique favored by McDaniels and Patriots coach Bill Belichick. On a short board, teams don't rank every player with a grade. They rank only the players they would consider drafting. It's a smaller list to work from and requires discipline on draft day to keep from reaching to select a player earlier than his grade warrants just because there are no other names above that player.

In April 2009, the Broncos had fewer than 100 names on their draft board when 256 players were selected in that draft. Many teams were working with draft boards that included more than 300 names. The Broncos likely will be one of those teams this time around."

dogfish
02-28-2011, 12:42 AM
bahah. . . i intended that as a rhetorical question, but i'm glad to see confirmation that the duke isn't an idiot, even though i already knew it. . .

:defense:

"short board?" we got waterboarded on that '09 draft, more like. . .

Lonestar
02-28-2011, 01:17 AM
"Gone is the "short board" technique favored by McDaniels and Patriots coach Bill Belichick. On a short board, teams don't rank every player with a grade. They rank only the players they would consider drafting. It's a smaller list to work from and requires discipline on draft day to keep from reaching to select a player earlier than his grade warrants just because there are no other names above that player.

In April 2009, the Broncos had fewer than 100 names on their draft board when 256 players were selected in that draft. Many teams were working with draft boards that included more than 300 names. The Broncos likely will be one of those teams this time around."

personally I like the short board approach.

IF you know a player does not meet your needs or will fit into your scheme why would you want to consider them..

Round hole square peg scenario.

SO you may have to reach on a player BFG. the whole reason for drafting guys is to improve and either drafting someone that does not help your team because he is supposedly the BPA.

that make zero sense to me Hodge-podge and perhaps why some teams get lost in personnel.

If you have a short list a hundred players or so since you are not going to get more than you have choices for the odds of getting all one hunderd anyway.

If it is your turn and the next player is a reach either you take them or try to move back to pick him later if you can. OR flat take the guy .

I guess I never got the whole "reach" routine everyone whines about.. he is either a player that you have scouted and KNOW you want or he is not.

So you take him a round earlier than the pundits say he should go. BFD..

Lonestar
02-28-2011, 01:18 AM
bahah. . . i intended that as a rhetorical question, but i'm glad to see confirmation that the duke isn't an idiot, even though i already knew it. . .

:defense:

"short board?" we got waterboarded on that '09 draft, more like. . .

I guess that is one persons Opine.. and while it is ok to think that way I disagree.

We came away with the players Josh wanted.

See above for my thoughts on a Short board..

dogfish
02-28-2011, 01:53 AM
We came away with the players Josh wanted.

i know-- that's the problem. . .

PAINTERDAVE
02-28-2011, 02:12 AM
That article has a list of McD's two drafts...
it is pretty interesting.

Lot's of guys who are not here any more....
lot's of wasted picks.

We have 6 picks this season...
we can't afford to waste any of them.

Lonestar
02-28-2011, 02:22 AM
i know-- that's the problem. . .

guess that also is determined by ones POV.. Other than I'd rather had DL picks I had very little issue with them that first year considering the time constraints they were under.

Lonestar
02-28-2011, 02:27 AM
That article has a list of McD's two drafts...
it is pretty interesting.

lot's of wasted picks.

We have 6 picks this season...
we can't afford to waste any of them.

1. RB Knowshon Moreno: Rushed for 947 and 779 yards his first two years.

1. DE Robert Ayers: At outside linebacker, has only 1 1/2 sacks in two seasons.

2. CB Alphonso Smith: Traded to the Lions before the 2010 season.

2. S Darcel McBath: Has had two injury-marred seasons.

2. TE Richard Quinn: Has only one reception in two seasons.

4. S David Bruton: Special-teams regular who made two starts in 2010.

4. G Seth Olsen: Waived last September.

5. WR Kenny McKinley: Died last September, an apparent suicide.

6. QB Tom Brandstater: Released last June.

7. C Blake Schlueter: Released after his first training camp.

1. WR Demaryius Thomas: Suffered torn Achilles tendon last month.

1. QB Tim Tebow: Made three starts in 2010. Still is Kyle Orton's backup.

2. G Zane Beadles: Made 14 starts as a rookie.

3. C J.D. Walton: Made 16 starts as a rookie.

3. WR Eric Decker: Had six receptions as a rookie.

5. CB Perrish Cox: Made nine starts in 2010. Now facing criminal charges.

6. G-C Eric Olsen: Played in one game as a rookie.

7. CB Syd'Quan Thompson: Played in 14 games, had two interceptions.

7. LB Jammie Kirlew: Cut during training camp.

I would say we can't waste any also.

but then there are always folks that do not make it..

Less over the past few years, than before.

I think that anyone past round 3 maybe four is a gift if they stick.

day one picks (now day two also) almost have to be absolute keepers. if not starters by EOS..

bcbronc
02-28-2011, 02:57 AM
lot's of wasted picks.

what?

19 picks in total.

13 still on the team.

1 traded. ranked top 10 in ints this past season

1 deceased. rip.

so 4 of 19 out right released (2 7th rounders, 1 6th, 1 4th).

I dunno how that compares to other teams over the same period, but I bet it's not too bad.

Lonestar
02-28-2011, 04:29 AM
what?
19 picks in total.
13 still on the team.
1 deceased. rip.
I dunno how that compares to other teams over the same period, but I bet it's not too bad.

I think most folks are counting on fox to cut all or most of Joshes picks just because they do not like Josh.
That is the big todo about it.

But I suspect John might keep most of them. There is some great talent there.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
02-28-2011, 07:51 AM
what?

19 picks in total.

13 still on the team.

1 deceased. rip.

McDaniels was fired just before the season ended. We have a lockout looming on the horizon and somehow that a ringing endorsement of McDaniels prowess as a talent evaluator? I don't think so.

SOCALORADO.
02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
McDaniels was fired just before the season ended. We have a lockout looming on the horizon and somehow that a ringing endorsement of McDaniels prowess as a talent evaluator? I don't think so.

:lol: