PDA

View Full Version : Cutler Breaks Down Loss, Gets Ready For Bucs

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2008, 04:23 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.chiefs.kansas.2.829446.html

Cutler Breaks Down Loss, Gets Ready For Bucs

DENVER (CBS4) ― Following the Denver Broncos 33-19 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, Jay Cutler appeared on his show Qwest Jay Cutler Live! to talk to CBS4's Vic Lombardi about the team's performance and what they need to do to turn things around against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"It's tough, especially in a game we thought we could win," Cutler said. "We had a good game plan, you know offensively we didn't play very well, but it's a long season and we have a lot of football left."

There are lots of theories as to why the Broncos lost Sunday's game. Did the Broncos overlook the Chiefs?

"Absolutely not," Cutler said.

Four turnovers?

"Yeah, that will probably be the No. 1 key," he said. "I think you hit the nail on the head with that one."

Cutler said anytime a team has four turnovers in a game, it's going to be hard to win. He said his two interceptions and the two fumbles were drive-killers.

"It takes us out of our rhythm; it takes us out of our tempo."

The Broncos attempted 47 passes and 27 rushing attempts, but Cutler said he doesn't believe the run-to-pass ratio has to be more balanced for the Broncos to be successful.

"We got behind and we kind of had to play catch-up, that's why those numbers are skewed a little bit," he said. "The three games prior we were running the ball well. Our pass might have been setting up the run a little bit."

Cutler pointed out that there have been plenty of teams in the NFL that have been successful passing first and running second.

"But we're not going to lose touch with the running game," he said. "We're going to keep working on it."

Both of Cutler's interceptions were on passes to Brandon Marshall. He said both were thrown into tight spots.

"We want to get him the ball and most of the time he catches it or knocks it down. That comes with the territory. We're going to go to him a lot … get the ball in his hands. He makes big plays."

Tampa Bay will be coming into Denver riding a three-game winning steak after beating the Green Bay Packers at home on Sunday. Former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese is starting for the Bucs this year after Jeff Garcia was injured.

Cutler said he's heard good stories about Griese.

"He's supposed to be a good guy, I wish him well; he's playing well right now."

This will be Cutler's first time playing the Bucs and he said he's been researching the team in part by asking his teammates and coaches about them.

"Jim Bates, he was there under (John) Gruden for a while," he said. "So he's got some insight on them. It's like playing the Saints. You don't know the personnel that well, you don't really know what kind of defense they play."

There will be plenty of film study this week for Cutler to understand better the Bucs players and what they do defensively.

Cutler is currently ranked second in the NFL is passing yards behind Drew Brees with 1,275. He ranks third in touchdowns behind Brett Favre and Brees with 9.

Cutler's on pace to set a regular season NFL record for passing yards if he continues at his current rate, he would throw for 5,100 yards. Dan Marino holds the single-season record of 5,084 yards.

Npba900
09-30-2008, 06:35 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.chiefs.kansas.2.829446.html

Cutler Breaks Down Loss, Gets Ready For Bucs

DENVER (CBS4) ― Following the Denver Broncos 33-19 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, Jay Cutler appeared on his show Qwest Jay Cutler Live! to talk to CBS4's Vic Lombardi about the team's performance and what they need to do to turn things around against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"It's tough, especially in a game we thought we could win," Cutler said. "We had a good game plan, you know offensively we didn't play very well, but it's a long season and we have a lot of football left."

There are lots of theories as to why the Broncos lost Sunday's game. Did the Broncos overlook the Chiefs?

"Absolutely not," Cutler said.

Four turnovers?

"Yeah, that will probably be the No. 1 key," he said. "I think you hit the nail on the head with that one."

Cutler said anytime a team has four turnovers in a game, it's going to be hard to win. He said his two interceptions and the two fumbles were drive-killers.

"It takes us out of our rhythm; it takes us out of our tempo."

The Broncos attempted 47 passes and 27 rushing attempts, but Cutler said he doesn't believe the run-to-pass ratio has to be more balanced for the Broncos to be successful.

"We got behind and we kind of had to play catch-up, that's why those numbers are skewed a little bit," he said. "The three games prior we were running the ball well. Our pass might have been setting up the run a little bit."

Cutler pointed out that there have been plenty of teams in the NFL that have been successful passing first and running second.

"But we're not going to lose touch with the running game," he said. "We're going to keep working on it."

Both of Cutler's interceptions were on passes to Brandon Marshall. He said both were thrown into tight spots.

"We want to get him the ball and most of the time he catches it or knocks it down. That comes with the territory. We're going to go to him a lot … get the ball in his hands. He makes big plays."

Tampa Bay will be coming into Denver riding a three-game winning steak after beating the Green Bay Packers at home on Sunday. Former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese is starting for the Bucs this year after Jeff Garcia was injured.

Cutler said he's heard good stories about Griese.

"He's supposed to be a good guy, I wish him well; he's playing well right now."

This will be Cutler's first time playing the Bucs and he said he's been researching the team in part by asking his teammates and coaches about them.

"Jim Bates, he was there under (John) Gruden for a while," he said. "So he's got some insight on them. It's like playing the Saints. You don't know the personnel that well, you don't really know what kind of defense they play."

There will be plenty of film study this week for Cutler to understand better the Bucs players and what they do defensively.

Cutler is currently ranked second in the NFL is passing yards behind Drew Brees with 1,275. He ranks third in touchdowns behind Brett Favre and Brees with 9.

Cutler's on pace to set a regular season NFL record for passing yards if he continues at his current rate, he would throw for 5,100 yards. Dan Marino holds the single-season record of 5,084 yards.

Great article DN(Carol).

Cutler can deal with adversity and set backs due to all he had to endure at Vanderbelt.

gobroncsnv
09-30-2008, 06:45 PM
He has gotten away with squeezing a few in tight coverage in the previous 3 wins. Some of that has to catch up with you. Good news is, I think he'll learn from these, and also checking down to other guys who were more open on those plays.

SR
09-30-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't think it caught up to him so much as it was just over confidence. Jay Cutler knows he can put the ball where very few other QBs can, and maybe he got a little cocky on those two picks. We'll see. It'll be a tough game against the Bucs and we'll learn something about the character on our team, but I think we will have a good game.

Bronco9798
09-30-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't think it caught up to him so much as it was just over confidence. Jay Cutler knows he can put the ball where very few other QBs can, and maybe he got a little cocky on those two picks. We'll see. It'll be a tough game against the Bucs and we'll learn something about the character on our team, but I think we will have a good game.

I don't think he got cocky at all. He just thought he could make a play and failed basically. I don't see where cocky comes into play. When you have that much confidence in yourself and BM, you just think you're going to make the play based on past experiences with him and BM. But, I wouldn't call it cocky as I would confidence. It just didn't work and he has to be able to understand there are other players open if BM is getting double or triple coverage and go through all his progressions, and he will.

omac
10-01-2008, 12:02 AM
The offense was off rythm most of the game.

Graham tripped on one play where he was the target; Stokley did that too. Russell wasn't had his back turned away from the ball as it hit him directly; had he been facing Cutler, that might've hit him in the chest. Royal and Marshall were stripped for fumbles. Tony's missed catch which was considered a fumble, since he was linearly behind Jay. Jay threw 2 INTs. He also seemed to hesitate a bit, which made some of his timing off. I'm thinking with all the bad luck that's happened, he seemed like he wasn't trusting his receivers as much.

Russell shouldn't have even been in the game.

Hats off to KC, though. Their defense really brought it. The fumble strips, the coverage sack, the INTs, they made those plays happen.

I'm not concerned about the offense, though. That's one bad day.

I didn't like the playcalling deep in KC territory, where we had 2nd and 2, then we passed twice; I thought we could've gone for the 1st down rushing, then have 3 downs to get a TD.

The defense had holes, but they kept the game close for most of the game. The offense couldn't come up with the needed points. This one's more on the offense than the defense.

gobroncsnv
10-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Agree to a point... only thing about that is, when we needed some stops at the end of the game, couldn't get them. Granted, they were on the field quite a bit, but there are going to be those close games where we have to have the D be more than they have been. We're just not making any punters famous right now.

broncobryce
10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
The only thing that worries me is the Bucs play a cover 2 (which the chiefs were playing) better than anybody else. Jay definetely needs to hit the underneath routes a lot in this game. Make them come closer to the line of scrimmage, if they don't, then keep eating them alive underneath. Dont get impatient. (easy for me to say, I don't have laser for an arm)

BroncoNut
10-01-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't think he got cocky at all. He just thought he could make a play and failed basically. I don't see where cocky comes into play. When you have that much confidence in yourself and BM, you just think you're going to make the play based on past experiences with him and BM. But, I wouldn't call it cocky as I would confidence. It just didn't work and he has to be able to understand there are other players open if BM is getting double or triple coverage and go through all his progressions, and he will.

I didn't see the game, but from what I hear, it sounds like it was just not JC's day. Sounds like he had a tough time maintaining rhythm. I don't think there is anything cocky about Cutler either, so far. But you are a ****

gobroncsnv
10-01-2008, 06:20 PM
The only thing that worries me is the Bucs play a cover 2 (which the chiefs were playing) better than anybody else. Jay definetely needs to hit the underneath routes a lot in this game. Make them come closer to the line of scrimmage, if they don't, then keep eating them alive underneath. Dont get impatient. (easy for me to say, I don't have laser for an arm)

True west coast stuff, and builds time of possession as well. Our d needs to step up to the plate big time, but they also need to get off the field.

Benetto
10-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Bucs are giving up 300+ yards per game on average...Cutler will be sparkling come Sunday.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b49566

omac
10-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Bucs are giving up 300+ yards per game on average...Cutler will be sparkling come Sunday.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b49566

I hope you're right. I'm concerned because Gruden is one of the best active coaches around. He has about the same diligence or even more in game preparation than Shanny. I read/watched somewhere that he has a condition doesn't allow him to get much sleep, so that gives him more time to work on football.

Shanny took a subtle, playful dig at him recently, "complimenting" him at how he gets his Bucs to win, despite having so many turnovers. :D