PDA

View Full Version : Allen Has Tough Challenge In Fixing Broncos’ Defense

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2011, 07:05 PM
video on link

DENVER (CBS4) – It may be the toughest challenge in the NFL — fixing the Broncos’ defense. Dennis Allen is going to try to do what so many before him couldn’t.

Allen comes to Denver from New Orleans. He helped turn that defense into one of the best in the league, particularly against the pass. A year ago Allen and the Saints became Super Bowl champions, but when he got to New Orleans the Saints were definitely in bad shape.

The Broncos finished 32nd on defense last year. It can’t get any worse.

“Somebody’s got to be able to do it. Somebody’s got to break the trend and I think we are all looking forward to the opportunity,” Allen said. “It’s going to be a great challenge and I think we are up for the challenge.”

full article - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/02/27/allen-has-tough-challenge-in-fixing-broncos-defense/

dogfish
02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
i rank it right behind creating lasting peace in the middle east in terms of degree of difficulty. . . .

bcbronc
02-27-2011, 09:04 PM
i rank it right behind creating lasting peace in the middle east in terms of degree of difficulty. . . .

nah, you could just nuke the Middle East. no easy answers in Denver unfortunately.

dogfish
02-27-2011, 09:08 PM
so nuking our defense isn't an option?

claymore
02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
It seems like ive been reading the same article for 6 years. Im waiting for Bailey to tell us he is the best defensive mind hes ever been around. :D

HORSEPOWER 56
02-27-2011, 09:29 PM
It seems like ive been reading the same article for 6 years. Im waiting for Bailey to tell us he is the best defensive mind hes ever been around. :D

I'm guessing he must be, he's the only one still around...

Lonestar
02-27-2011, 09:53 PM
The key to fixing a problem is getting consistent coaching/management and spending money on getting quality personnel.

Nothing that is tough to do just have to have a commitment from the guy upstairs.

Now that may not get you to elite status but it is a way to get you better than last place.
A couple key FA and 3-4 key day one and two picks and we could be top 15 inside a year.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

bcbronc
02-27-2011, 10:08 PM
so nuking our defense isn't an option?

sure, you could, but nukes tend to make the practice field too muddy to use. then what?

dogfish
02-27-2011, 10:18 PM
sure, you could, but nukes tend to make the practice field too muddy to use. then what?

damn-- i was hoping. . .

I Eat Staples
02-27-2011, 11:02 PM

Look on the bright side, he's not "Wink."

claymore
02-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Look on the bright side, he's not "Wink."

Or bates... Or Slowik!!!

PAINTERDAVE
02-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Allen said there is plenty of talent on the Broncos and they just need to find out how to get the best out or each player. He envisions a Broncos defense that will play with passion — a defense that will exert its will against opposing offenses.

“If the offense doesn’t fear you then you’re never going to be considered a great defensive team. To be great on defense you’ve got to be feared, and the only way you can be feared is if you play with a violence and passion about you and play at a tempo that the other teams are unwilling or unable to match.”

-----------------

That is half the battle... confidence and or lack of it.

Other teams have been very confidant they could trounce us...

With new Coaches, a new scheme, Doom back.. Champ playing all out...a good draft...
and some consistancy... perhaps over time we can become a good, confidant defense again.

Northman
02-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Yep, good luck to Allen.

Dirk
02-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Man O Man! I can't wait to get a "real" defense again!!

rcsodak
02-28-2011, 01:41 PM
So.....you're saying there's a chance!?

dogfish
02-28-2011, 02:53 PM

i hope so. . .

:fear:

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 02:54 PM

And that is because Champ was signed!!! :elefant:

The Glue Factory
02-28-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't think fixing the defense in Denver is as big a problem as many think it is. The biggest obstacles to the defense have been come from the HC. Both times we had a highly effective DC at the helm they were told to leave town by the HC! Oh sorry, allowed to pursue other opportunities.

Hopefully third time's the charm with Fox letting Allen run the defense! If I hear the HC let's this DC puruse other opportunities or have a mutual agreement to let him leave I will have no problem with calling a nuclear air strike on Dove Valley.

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't think fixing the defense in Denver is as big a problem as many think it is. The biggest obstacles to the defense have been come from the HC. Both times we had a highly effective DC at the helm they were told to leave town by the HC! Oh sorry, allowed to pursue other opportunities.

Hopefully third time's the charm with Fox letting Allen run the defense! If I hear the HC let's this DC puruse other opportunities or have a mutual agreement to let him leave I will have no problem with calling a nuclear air strike on Dove Valley.

Do you work at NORAD? They are scanning your computer as we speak. LOL

Seriously though, I agree with you. Not that I'm an NFL talent guru or anything, but I've posted several times I think there is more talent in Denver than what they are getting credit for. They just need a few more key pieces and a coach that can put it all together. I'm crossing my fingers that Allen/Fox are the right men for the job...finally.

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Do you work at NORAD? They are scanning your computer as we speak. LOL

Seriously though, I agree with you. Not that I'm an NFL talent guru or anything, but I've posted several times I think there is more talent in Denver than what they are getting credit for. They just need a few more key pieces and a coach that can put it all together. I'm crossing my fingers that Allen/Fox are the right men for the job...finally.

I agree. I think one problem was the McD mentality of who he signed. He thought you got Offense in the draft and Defense through FA. When he was doing out D-Line he picked the biggest guys he could find and all older. He signed a lot of older vets and let some good young guys go.

ikillz0mbies
02-28-2011, 03:40 PM
So I keep reading that the Broncos want to get faster on defense. OLB Von Miller just ran a 4.46 40-yard dash time. He has also shown that he is one hell of a pass rusher.

Draft Von Miller at 2. What do you guys think?

And yes, I do realize that the DL is a GIGANTIC need. But this is a pretty deep class in terms of defensive linemen. They could still get a solid DT in the 2nd round......just saying.

Buff
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
So I keep reading that the Broncos want to get faster on defense. OLB Von Miller just ran a 4.46 40-yard dash time. He has also shown that he is one hell of a pass rusher.

And yes, I do realize that the DL is a GIGANTIC need. But this is a pretty deep class in terms of defensive linemen. They could still get a solid DT in the 2nd round......just saying.

I'd prefer we draft Fairley or Dareus, but if we don't, I think Miller is the safest pick.

dogfish
02-28-2011, 03:49 PM

he's a great prospect, but i wouldn't draft him for denver. . .

law of diminishing returns-- he would have to play either RDE or WILL linebacker for us, and those are the two positions in the front seven where we already have good players. . .

besides which, getting fast doesn't always mean getting 4.4 guys-- if you can trade in a DT who runs a (guesstimated, obviously) 5.3-- bannan-- or a 5.7-- JWALL-- for a guy that runs a 4.8 or 4.9, you've actually done a whole lot more to improve the speed and athleticism of your front than replacing a 4.5 woodyard with a 4.4 von miller, or even if you slide DJ over and replace the slower mays or haggan. . .

rcsodak
02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
A #2 on an OLB in a 43D?

arapaho2
02-28-2011, 04:47 PM

no von is projected to be the solid 3-4 olb...we are going to a 4-3...so miller would make no sense

dareus..fairely....bowers or quin if he's not all hype

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
A #2 on an OLB in a 43D?

Why not?

If you can't get out of the #2, and he's the guy you feel the best about, then do it John!

I'd be fine with Dareus too, but IMO Von Miller is the guy that has the best chance of being the stud playmaker on defense for years to come.

By all accounts, this dude is going to blow people up in the backfield consistently. Isn't that what we're looking for, really?

I think there is a better chance of success overall if we land Miller at #2 and go DT for the other picks than if we go DT first and then LB/DT.

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Figures the safest person in the draft doesn't fit our defense. F*&$!!!!

rcsodak
02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Figures the safest person in the draft doesn't fit our defense. F*&$!!!!thank you. Lol

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Why not?

If you can't get out of the #2, and he's the guy you feel the best about, then do it John!

I'd be fine with Dareus too, but IMO Von Miller is the guy that has the best chance of being the stud playmaker on defense for years to come.

By all accounts, this dude is going to blow people up in the backfield consistently. Isn't that what we're looking for, really?

I think there is a better chance of success overall if we land Miller at #2 and go DT for the other picks than if we go DT first and then LB/DT.

This should make you happy
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/38001/is-von-miller-racing-up-to-no-2-pick

rcsodak
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/38001/is-von-miller-racing-up-to-no-2-pick

Bill is on Bowlens payroll...trying to get some misinformation out there.
Much ado about nothin

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Bill is on Bowlens payroll...trying to get some misinformation out there.
Much ado about nothin

Works for me.

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 06:19 PM

Admittedly, I didn't realize he was a 3-4 guy prior getting so infatuated with him.

The last thing I think anyone on this team wants is another project playing out of his natural position. :banghead:

I'll have to find someone else to clamor about.

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Admittedly, I didn't realize he was a 3-4 guy prior getting so infatuated with him.

The last thing I think anyone on this team wants is another project playing out of his natural position. :banghead:

I'll have to find someone else to clamor about.

It's ok...the guy i would love to see on team is Ryan Kerrigan. I am hoping since the DL pool is so strong he will drop to the top of 2nd round so we can get him. He was a force at the senior bowl and he is incredible athlete.

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 06:37 PM
It's ok...the guy i would love to see on team is Ryan Kerrigan. I am hoping since the DL pool is so strong he will drop to the top of 2nd round so we can get him. He was a force at the senior bowl and he is incredible athlete.

Any relation to Nancy? If he has her fire and drive then I'm sold. Lets do it!

EDIT: Nevermind, Nancy was the victim, huh? BACKFIRE!

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Haha...no relation, but she was a gold medalist.

dogfish
02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
i prefer my DLs to have more of a tanya harding disposition. . .

:heh:

if we take a DT in the first i'd kill to get kerrigan at #36, but i don't see much chance of it unless somebody finds a dead hooker in his trunk between now and draft day. . .

it sucks so baaad that we're not gonna have free agency before the draft or be able to trade players. . . orton could be a great bargaining chip to potentially generate additional picks that we could package to get back into the first for a player like kerrigan, JJ watt, stephen paea if his knee's cleared, or cameron jordan. . . not that we won't still have a shot at some quality DLs and other players at 36, but it would be sweet to land a second blue chip or close to it prospect. . . it's going to be real interesting watching those guys flying off the board and seeing who's left at the end of the first. . .

will paea's knee hurt his stock? will marvin austin or phil taylor make it out of the first? i'm thinking cameron heyward is a guy who'll be there, but we'll have to see what's up with his health status as well. . .

we might be able to move back from 36 a little and target a player like jurrell casey, christian ballard or allen bailey. . .

bcbronc
02-28-2011, 09:11 PM

she was also an Olympic medallist, so she still probably had some fire and drive. for a girl.

rcsodak
02-28-2011, 09:16 PM

if we take a DT in the first i'd kill to get kerrigan at #36, but i don't see much chance of it unless somebody finds a dead hooker in his trunk between now and draft day. . .

it sucks so baaad that we're not gonna have free agency before the draft or be able to trade players. . . orton could be a great bargaining chip to potentially generate additional picks that we could package to get back into the first for a player like kerrigan, JJ watt, stephen paea if his knee's cleared, or cameron jordan. . . not that we won't still have a shot at some quality DLs and other players at 36, but it would be sweet to land a second blue chip or close to it prospect. . . it's going to be real interesting watching those guys flying off the board and seeing who's left at the end of the first. . .

will paea's knee hurt his stock? will marvin austin or phil taylor make it out of the first? i'm thinking cameron heyward is a guy who'll be there, but we'll have to see what's up with his health status as well. . .

we might be able to move back from 36 a little and target a player like jurrell casey, christian ballard or allen bailey. . .

Well, remember....they have the 2 2nd's which might get them into the 1st.....and next years if they see somebody they just have to have. I have a feeling we'll see some wheelin n dealin.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Well, remember....they have the 2 2nd's which might get them into the 1st.....and next years if they see somebody they just have to have. I have a feeling we'll see some wheelin n dealin.

I hope not. This draft is deep enough, especially at D-line, that I'd rather have two early second rounders to spend over one more late 1st.

There are probably close to 10 DEs alone looking at a potential first round grade. I just can't imagine that 1/3 of the teams in the league are going to take a DE in the 1st this year. That means guys will fall into the second.

If for some reason they don't and all 10 go in the first round, that means most of the DTs will be there in the 2nd and all of the Safeties and most of the best LBs (except Miller) and even some of the top O-linemen will still be available (looking for a new RT, anyone?), or even the top TEs.

Nope, I'm fine with either Fairley or Dareus at #2 and then best available DE/LB/S at #36 and BPA at our next two picks.

Lonestar
02-28-2011, 10:30 PM

heard talk of as many as 6 OL guys going in the first and 4 QB's that means given another 6-8 players as DBs, WR, RB, TE, LBs there may be uppwards of 14 other guys to be taken. NOT all of them are going to be the guys we want as a few teams will only be looking for 3-4 guys.

We could get a couple of studs for our front 7..

SOCALORADO.
03-01-2011, 09:37 AM
I hope not. This draft is deep enough, especially at D-line, that I'd rather have two early second rounders to spend over one more late 1st.

There are probably close to 10 DEs alone looking at a potential first round grade. I just can't imagine that 1/3 of the teams in the league are going to take a DE in the 1st this year. That means guys will fall into the second.

If for some reason they don't and all 10 go in the first round, that means most of the DTs will be there in the 2nd and all of the Safeties and most of the best LBs (except Miller) and even some of the top O-linemen will still be available (looking for a new RT, anyone?), or even the top TEs.

Nope, I'm fine with either Fairley or Dareus at #2 and then best available DE/LB/S at #36 and BPA at our next two picks.

This.
Just stay at the original picks. Theres an absolute TON of 4-3 DT and DE value in this draft.
4-3 DT and DE are the deepest positions by far in this draft.
Not one analyst or pundit or expert disagrees.
Just stay put. These players cannot possibly go in the 1st 32 picks.
The 2nd round of this years draft is shaping up to be another 1st round specifically for DEN. .
And that just so happens to be exactly what this team needs right now.

NightTerror218
03-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Aj Hawk might be a good fit for us....he was released by GB