PDA

View Full Version : Cutler on throwing to Marshall

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Last night on the Jay Cutler show, Vic Lombardi ask Jay if he was throwing to Marshall too much (not the exact words). Here is a video showing Jay's response. I do not agree with Jay stating, in so many words, he will continue to do so.

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=47396@kcnc.dayport.com

NightTrainLayne
09-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think he handled the question pretty well. Obviously, if someone is wide-open and Marshall's well-covered you want to avoid him, but sounded like he has the Coach's blessing or instruction to feed the ball to Marshall.

SR
09-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Nothin wrong with that.

Fan in Exile
09-30-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't mind that he says they're still trying to get Brandon the ball. I hope that's all coordinators plan for.

I do however mind if he keeps trying to force it to him when other guys are wide open.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't mind that he says they're still trying to get Brandon the ball. I hope that's all coordinators plan for.

I do however mind if he keeps trying to force it to him when other guys are wide open.

That is exactly how I feel. After Sunday's game, Reggie Rivers used the telestrater to show like three examples of where Jay tried to get the ball to Marshall, with Marshall being double and triple covered, and he showed all of the other Broncos who were wide open. That is what bothered me with Jay's comments last night. Take what is there.

Northman
09-30-2008, 12:43 PM
He's still young and right now he feels he has the arm to get the ball in there. I mean, we've seen him make some spectacular throws and you know what? I wouldnt change it for the world. Sometimes its your day and sometimes its not. If this became a weekly or yearly thing then yea, set him aside and talk to him about it. But if its just once in a blue moon im not going to get all that upset about it. Both Jay and Brandon are play makers and at times they will take risks and sometimes they will work and other times not. As long as they are communicating what they saw on those plays it will all work out.

Denver27og
09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
theres nothing wrong with throwing to Marshall 20 times a game...... i just hope we can resign the beast.. cutler marshall royal and sheff have to be kept together...

Mike
09-30-2008, 01:50 PM
There is absolutely something wrong with trying to get the ball to Marshall (or any other WR) that is double/triple covered.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2008, 02:04 PM
There is absolutely something wrong with trying to get the ball to Marshall (or any other WR) that is double/triple covered.

Exactly - that is why I did not understand Jay's thinking on the subject. I would much rather have him throw it to one of the other players who are wide open for a 10 yard gain, rather than trying to force it to Marshall and end up with an interception. Does not make alot of sense to me either. :confused:

Northman
09-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I think you guys are reading him all wrong there. lmao

Buff
09-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I watched JC live last night too... He needs to lose that suit coat. It looks like it's 2 sizes too big for him.

Oh yeah, and he needs to quit throwing INTs too...

That was the first time I had seen JC live since Cutler took over... Aside from the fact that Gary Miller and Vic Lombardi bug me, it's actually a pretty insightful show because they talk x's and o's and have Cutler explain the plays. I'm sold.

LordTrychon
09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
While I agree that I don't want Cutler forcing it into double coverage every time... or especially when there's other options available.

But I also know that Cutler knows better than anybody which holes he can fit the ball into. I don't mind him trying it sometimes... I don't mind him and Marshall being willing to say that it doesn't matter how you cover us, we're going after you.

Good with the bad sometimes... preferably with just a little less bad. :cheers:

Mike
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
I think you guys are reading him all wrong there. lmao

KC's defense didn't. ;)

Northman
09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
KC's defense didn't. ;)

True. But i do think he addressed that he made some poor decisions in that game. As i stated earlier, its all still a learning process for him.

Mike
09-30-2008, 02:16 PM
True. But i do think he addressed that he made some poor decisions in that game. As i stated earlier, its all still a learning process for him.

I know and agree. I have faith in his ability to learn and grow from it. I was just giving you a hard time. :beer:

ApaOps5
09-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Its not like Marshall is his only target thats ludicrous. Royal was the leading reciever last week. If 80% of his passes were going only to Marshall and this Offense was sucking an egg then yeah its an issue.

I fully expect Tampa to copy KC. I also fully expect Bates and Cutler to recognize that. Sandy Clough on the FAN said this morning that you have to point the finger at Bates too. Gunther took the young coach to school and taught him a lesson. I fully expect Bates to learn a great deal from last week.

Ziggy
09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Cutler does the same thing Elway did when he was a young QB. He tries to force the ball into places he shouldn't, and sometimes zones in on one receiver. I expect him to improve in this area each year. At this point in his career, I'll happily take the bad with the good. I think that most of us can already see that he's going to be an MVP type QB in the future. Right now we still have some growing pains to live through. I don't mind.

Lonestar
09-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Cutler does the same thing Elway did when he was a young QB. He tries to force the ball into places he shouldn't, and sometimes zones in on one receiver. I expect him to improve in this area each year. At this point in his career, I'll happily take the bad with the good. I think that most of us can already see that he's going to be an MVP type QB in the future. Right now we still have some growing pains to live through. I don't mind.

good post overall.

I'd rather have him spreading the ball to the open guy then sooner or later the defense has to respect that and cove the hot WR. then Brandon frees up to make an impact without the risk of interceptions.... the window gets much large and there is a much higher % of the pass being caught vs defensed or picked..

he is young and foolish to think someone will not take him to school from time to time..

BigSarge87
09-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Being successful spreading the ball around will open Marshall up and will make him a much more effective WR. That way it's more likely he will make a big play when Jay throws him the ball. You HAVE to spread it around to be an unstoppable passing offense.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Being successful spreading the ball around will open Marshall up and will make him a much more effective WR. That way it's more likely he will make a big play when Jay throws him the ball. You HAVE to spread it around to be an unstoppable passing offense.

Agreed - I am not sure any other team has all of the weapons we have - Marshall, Stokley, Royal, Shef, Graham, our RB's - LET'S USE THEM ALL. There is no way a defense can stop all of this.

BroncoWave
09-30-2008, 06:14 PM

Exactly. On the pick Jay threw where he tried to go deep to Marshall in double coverage, Scheffler was WIDE open over the middle and I don't think Jay ever saw him.

smith49
09-30-2008, 07:10 PM
[You HAVE to spread it around to be an unstoppable passing offense.[/QUOTE]

unless you have our D, then you just waite untill third and long and throw it up to bowe and know that it will not be contested at all.:D

omac
10-01-2008, 12:23 AM
good post overall.

I'd rather have him spreading the ball to the open guy then sooner or later the defense has to respect that and cove the hot WR. then Brandon frees up to make an impact without the risk of interceptions.... the window gets much large and there is a much higher % of the pass being caught vs defensed or picked..

he is young and foolish to think someone will not take him to school from time to time..

It's not as cut and dried as that. What I got from that is this; when the game is on the line, he'll go with the guy he trusts the most. That's where his comment about Marshall either snapping those balls up, or batting them down comes in. He'll expect Marshall to make the play.

In this game alone, with a timing throw to Graham, Graham slipped and the ball could've easily gone for an INT. Same thing happened with Stokley. With Scheffler, it was an incomplete pass that was ruled a fumble, because Scheffler was linearly behind him.

But Russell is the prime example. Jay got him the ball in the timing throw at the right time, and at exactly at the right spot, but Russell wasn't even ready for it, with the ball hitting his back.

Another example was the playoff game of NE x Indy 2 seasons ago, where Brady hits a wide open Caldwell, only for Caldwell to drop the ball.

Or how about last season, when Brady throws the ball to a double or tripple covered Moss, only for Moss to make the play happen.

If you watch the Broncos games, Cutler passes to Marshall a lot, but he spreads the ball pretty well too, to Scheffler, Stokley, Royal, Graham, Selvin, etc. Usually, they're pretty dependable. This game, though, the receivers were a bit off and so was Cutler's timing, so when it crucial possesions came, he probably felt more comfortable going to his go-to guy.

That is not just a football thing; it happens in other sports too, like basketball. The opposing team knows Jordan will get the ball. The Bulls know he'll be double or tripple teamed. Still, most of the time, they'll go with him, because they just trust him to make the play.

Jay knows about defenses, coverage, and spreading the ball around more than any of us here. He knows, though, that a lot of the big plays will happen with his big time receiver, and he has the confidence to go to him, even when the guy is covered pretty well. When it doesn't work, it looks bad, but sometimes, that's what it takes.

There's a truthful saying in sports; sometimes you have to live and die with who brought you there. By Anubis' comments, I know he gets this. :cheers: