PDA

View Full Version : Can Ayers play SAM?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2011, 06:20 PM
That is all. Simple question. Could Robert Ayers play SAM in a 4-3 defense?

dogfish
02-26-2011, 06:25 PM
could he play it? possibly. . . probably not all that well, IMO. . .

he can handle the tight end in the run game, but i don't think he's fast or fluid enough to handle the better ones in the passing game. . . too much coverage responsibility as a 43 SAM. . . i absolutely think he's better at end in the 40 front. . .

as far as i'm concerned, if we want to change fronts we need to pay the piper and acquire the proper talent, not turn around and try to pound square pegs in round holes by force-fitting guys we got for the 3-4 into 4-3 roles. . . i've seen suggestions of hunter at SAM as well, and i don't like him there any better than ayers, haggan, veikune, mays or any of our other 'backers not named DJ. . .

in any case, i think you can go ahead and pencil in either james anderson or thomas gimp davis at SAM. . .

Timmy!
02-26-2011, 06:31 PM
No.

TXBRONC
02-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Probably not.

broncohead
02-26-2011, 06:48 PM
I think he's a 40 DE and thought so since the draft

Lonestar
02-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Why would you want him to. He is a LOS kind of guy.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2011, 06:51 PM
Never said I did. Simply asking a question...

topscribe
02-26-2011, 06:58 PM
I think Fox pretty well answered that when he said he had Ayers "penciled in" at
DE. Ayers played much better at DE in college than he did at OLB last year. I
know that is a different position than Sam, but it would seem Ayers is better
with his hand on the ground.

Personally, I would see how Hunter would do there. He is faster than Ayers.
In another thread, we were discussing how Hunter may not have the agility for
Sam, but I would like to see whether this is so.

-----

Ziggy
02-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I don't think so SAS. He just doesn't have the speed hold the edge, or cover TE's and backs coming out. I think he'll make a very good to LDE in the 4-3.

CrazyHorse
02-26-2011, 07:13 PM
The obvious answer is yes. Anyone can play any position. The question is to what ability can he play the position.

bcbronc
02-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I'd like to see DJ back at Sam. probably his best position at this point in his career.

unfortunately, DJ is the best choice at all three LBs at the moment, so we'll see.

but no to Ayers.

Lonestar
02-26-2011, 09:22 PM
I'd like to see DJ back at Sam. probably his best position at this point in his career.

unfortunately, DJ is the best choice at all three LBs at the moment, so we'll see.

but no to Ayers.

dj hated the sam spot and actually was a better WLB where hs speed was use able at the SLB he does not have the coverage ability to deal with TE going into coverage. and he does not shed blocks as well. the WLB he does not get hit by as many OL guys going out to block..

cuzz4169
02-26-2011, 10:33 PM

but no to Ayers.

No to Ayers at any LB spot ever again...he's a DE...And I agree DJ is the best choice we have at all 3 LB spots.....that's not saying much....It all depends on who we draft or who we sign on what position DJ plays....I'm sure the coaching staff is aware DJ can play all 3 positions (at an avg level...lol IMO).

topscribe
02-27-2011, 12:21 AM
No to Ayers at any LB spot ever again...he's a DE...And I agree DJ is the best choice we have at all 3 LB spots.....that's not saying much....It all depends on who we draft or who we sign on what position DJ plays....I'm sure the coaching staff is aware DJ can play all 3 positions (at an avg level...lol IMO).

That is true. Of course, D.J. is the best linebacker the Broncos have. So that
is one position they don't want their best linebacker to play: i.e., Sam. That
would absolutely be out of the question with me, and I am almost certain the
coaches will concur.

That leaves Mike and Will, and D.J. was far better at Will than he ever was in
the middle in the 30 or 40. In short, D.J. is a Will. That is where he should be
from here on out, IMO . . .

-----

bcbronc
02-27-2011, 02:08 PM
That is true. Of course, D.J. is the best linebacker the Broncos have. So that
is one position they don't want their best linebacker to play: i.e., Sam. That
would absolutely be out of the question with me, and I am almost certain the
coaches will concur.

That leaves Mike and Will, and D.J. was far better at Will than he ever was in
the middle in the 30 or 40. In short, D.J. is a Will. That is where he should be
from here on out, IMO . . .

-----

just because DJ is the best of a weak corp, doesn't mean he's too good for Sam.

DJ was never all that great at Will, which is why he got moved. DJ is a solid starter, but he doesn't generate big plays as a WLB, which is pretty much their job. few sacks, FFs, Ints, etc. He's got the athleticism to chase down plays but that's about it.

in the middle, it's a bit hard to really judge DJ imo. there's not too many ILB in the league that can thrive without DL keeping Gs off him. the biggest problem I have with DJ at Mack isn't so much his on-field performance--it's been solid and should only get better with an improved DL--but rather he's not the spiritual leader I like to see in the middle.

at Sam, his athletic ability is maximized in that he's nimble enough to cover a TE or a back. He's also big enough to take on a TE in the run game, and with all the practice he's got fighting through unmolested guards and centers, TEs or FBs should be a walk in the park. pretty sure last time we had a respectable defense, it was with DJ at Sam.

topscribe
02-27-2011, 02:26 PM
just because DJ is the best of a weak corp, doesn't mean he's too good for Sam.

DJ was never all that great at Will, which is why he got moved. DJ is a solid starter, but he doesn't generate big plays as a WLB, which is pretty much their job. few sacks, FFs, Ints, etc. He's got the athleticism to chase down plays but that's about it.

in the middle, it's a bit hard to really judge DJ imo. there's not too many ILB in the league that can thrive without DL keeping Gs off him. the biggest problem I have with DJ at Mack isn't so much his on-field performance--it's been solid and should only get better with an improved DL--but rather he's not the spiritual leader I like to see in the middle.

at Sam, his athletic ability is maximized in that he's nimble enough to cover a TE or a back. He's also big enough to take on a TE in the run game, and with all the practice he's got fighting through unmolested guards and centers, TEs or FBs should be a walk in the park. pretty sure last time we had a respectable defense, it was with DJ at Sam.

The last time the Broncos had a respectable defense, it was with Al Wilson at
MLB. DJ just happened to be at Sam at the time, and he wasn't very happy
there.

The only time DJ played full time at Will was in his first year, and it was
consensus that he made very good account of himself, especially for a rookie.
Now, if the likes of Von Miller were drafted (I hope not, personally), then I can
see DJ moving to Mike. But I still maintain you just don't put your best LB at
Sam, and I don't believe DJ would take kindly their sticking him in there
again . . .

-----

Lonestar
02-27-2011, 02:47 PM
DJ was moved to sam because gold would not come back and play anything but WLB.
this was after DJ was runner up as DROY.
Which was. Pure chicken shit move on mikeys part. In the end Gold was figured out he had never recovered from his knee issue and DJ was screwed over.

bcbronc
02-27-2011, 03:01 PM
The last time the Broncos had a respectable defense, it was with Al Wilson at
MLB. DJ just happened to be at Sam at the time, and he wasn't very happy
there.

The only time DJ played full time at Will was in his first year, and it was
consensus that he made very good account of himself, especially for a rookie.
Now, if the likes of Von Miller were drafted (I hope not, personally), then I can
see DJ moving to Mike. But I still maintain you just don't put your best LB at
Sam, and I don't believe DJ would take kindly their sticking him in there
again . . .

-----

I'm pretty sure DJ would take winning at Sam over losing at Will. if not, he can ****.

DJ was moved to sam because gold would not come back and play anything but WLB.
this was after DJ was runner up as DROY.
Which was. Pure chicken shit move on mikeys part. In the end Gold was figured out he had never recovered from his knee issue and DJ was screwed over.

this is the point. despite being drafted as a Will and having a solid rookie season, Shanahan thought he needed to upgrade the position. since the results were the last time we had a defense that wasn't near the very bottom of the league, I'd say we need more of these "pure chicken shit moves", wouldn't you?

DJ isn't and never has been a pure playmaker. Him being the best LB on the team isn't because he's a great LB, it's because noone else is really noteworthy. DJ can be solid at all three positions, but there's no one else on the roster currently that can match up against TEs in the passing game. we can at least try Mays in the middle and maybe WW at Will. But there's not another option at Sam, unless you want to see Haggans or Mays trying to cover a RB in the flats or turn and go with Gates down the seam.

I'm guessing we'll add 1-2 UFA LBs this year, and who we can get will determine where DJ ends up playing. but imo DJ's best position in the 43 is strongside outside.

Lonestar
02-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Would quote you BC but almost impossible on a mobile screen.

but the only reason we brought Gold back was because of mikeys loyalty to him.

It was not because he would upgrade the spot.

DJ hated the SAM spot and he was kit all that great at tithe primary reason he was moved to MLB when Wilson left.

Not sure why you are in love with this move but on this you are wrong and it will never happen.

He might stay at MLB but the odds of that are just bait higher than the slim and none of him playing sam.

He is and always has been a natural WLB.

No sense in pounding a square peg into a round hole.

frauschieze
02-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Can't find the article, but after DJ finished his season at Mike, he stated he would never again play the Sam position; that he would play Will and Mike, but never, ever strong side.

I'm not sure he'd end up being our best Sam option regardless of talent, if he really means that.

dogfish
02-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Can't find the article, but after DJ finished his season at Mike, he stated he would never again play the Sam position; that he would play Will and Mike, but never, ever strong side.

I'm not sure he'd end up being our best Sam option regardless of talent, if he really means that.

i remember that as well, but DJ's no where near good enough to dictate anything to anyone. . . after that DUI, he should be very well pleased that he's still employed. . . i don't think they will tell him to play SAM, but if they do, he better shut up and do it as well as he can. . .

bcbronc
02-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Would quote you BC but almost impossible on a mobile screen.

ya, so you've said. :laugh:

but the only reason we brought Gold back was because of mikeys loyalty to him.

It was not because he would upgrade the spot.

that's silly talk. if it was only because of Shanny's loyalty, Gold wouldn't have been allowed to leave in the first place.

DJ hated the SAM spot and he was kit all that great at tithe primary reason he was moved to MLB when Wilson left.

as dog said, DJ's paid to play where the coaches put him. he's no Ray Lewis or Derrick Brooks. he's a solid pro, and that's good enough for Sam imo.

Not sure why you are in love with this move but on this you are wrong and it will never happen.

you know jr, it's possible to throw an idea around for the sake of discussion without being in love with it ffs. as for "never" happen, bullshit. sure, it might not happen, but to say there's zero chance is simply not looking at the current roster.

who, then, do you see at Sam this year?

He might stay at MLB but the odds of that are just bait higher than the slim and none of him playing sam.

He is and always has been a natural WLB.

No sense in pounding a square peg into a round hole.

really now? always has been, eh? DJ has played 7 years, all save one NOT at WLB. Those days are long behind him. Why go backwards and have him relearn a position he never seemed to have the pure instincts for in the first place? considering he's not a natural playmaker, and lacks that pure fire of personality, Sam seems his most 'natural' spot these days. Next, I'd say his play at ILB with squat in front of him on the line suggests he'd be a pretty solid 43 Mack. Will, imo, despite his time in college, is option #3 as far as I'm concerned.

topscribe
02-27-2011, 05:41 PM
i remember that as well, but DJ's no where near good enough to dictate anything to anyone. . . after that DUI, he should be very well pleased that he's still employed. . . i don't think they will tell him to play SAM, but if they do, he better shut up and do it as well as he can. . .

Not good enough or poor job fit? If I can speak figuratively, you don't place a
salesman in a computer programmer's room, nor do you send a programmer out
into the sales field.

As LS noted, DJ was #2 for DROY at Will, yet has not since played the
position. So he excelled at Will and has been "fair" at Sam, Mike, and IWLB.
There is no one, but no one, presently on the roster who can attain the level
of play at Will that DJ did. So it's silly even to think of stuffing DJ into the
Sam position, IMO.

I really believe Dennis Allen & co. will place DJ at Will, and that he will star
there. I say that from what I observed when he was there before . . .

-----

topscribe
02-27-2011, 05:59 PM
ya, so you've said. :laugh:

that's silly talk. if it was only because of Shanny's loyalty, Gold wouldn't have been allowed to leave in the first place.

as dog said, DJ's paid to play where the coaches put him. he's no Ray Lewis or Derrick Brooks. he's a solid pro, and that's good enough for Sam imo.

you know jr, it's possible to throw an idea around for the sake of discussion without being in love with it ffs. as for "never" happen, bullshit. sure, it might not happen, but to say there's zero chance is simply not looking at the current roster.

who, then, do you see at Sam this year?

really now? always has been, eh? DJ has played 7 years, all save one NOT at WLB. Those days are long behind him. Why go backwards and have him relearn a position he never seemed to have the pure instincts for in the first place? considering he's not a natural playmaker, and lacks that pure fire of personality, Sam seems his most 'natural' spot these days. Next, I'd say his play at ILB with squat in front of him on the line suggests he'd be a pretty solid 43 Mack. Will, imo, despite his time in college, is option #3 as far as I'm concerned.

BC, he was drafted as a Will. It is his natural position. He showed it as a
rookie, when he excelled at the position. He's not going to forget about the
mechanics just because he hasn't been there for couple years.

You don't forget those things. I haven't played football for more than 40 years.
My natural position, I found, was DE, so there I played and learned to play.
Today, I could go back and go through the mechanics as easily as I could get
onto a bicycle and ride. I wouldn't be any good at it (never was, actually)
because I'm not a young man anymore, but I haven't forgotten.

DJ, can step right back into the position and play as if he had never missed a
beat. There would be a little rust, yes, but that would be gone pretty quickly.

-----

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2011, 06:12 PM
DJ was moved because of Gold. And Gold only left because TB WAY overpaid for his services...and dropped him after he got hurt. We were all screaming on the Freak about DJ getting moved for Ian's overrated ass. In the end, DJ was the best LB we've had since Al left and was asked to play the most important LB spot...the middle. He's been selfless and kept his mouth shut about it. Dude is a WILL. And a damn good one. Poor coaching and presonnel evaluation by Shanny and McD should not be placed at the feet of DJ.

claymore
02-27-2011, 06:28 PM
DJ was moved because of Gold. And Gold only left because TB WAY overpaid for his services...and dropped him after he got hurt. We were all screaming on the Freak about DJ getting moved for Ian's overrated ass. In the end, DJ was the best LB we've had since Al left and was asked to play the most important LB spot...the middle. He's been selfless and kept his mouth shut about it. Dude is a WILL. And a damn good one. Poor coaching and presonnel evaluation by Shanny and McD should not be placed at the feet of DJ.

Hell yeah. I dont miss gold at all.

Elevation inc
02-28-2011, 12:23 PM
doubtful our best hope of immediate impact from our current Lb's

Is Woodyard at WLB, Mays at MLB at DJ at SAM

or trade DJ and start woodyard at WLB, Mays at MLB, Haggan At Sam

Dirk
03-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Well I hope that whichever spot he is placed into he plays better. I have never understood the love for DJ. I think he is average at best no matter where he is on the field.

BroncoNut
03-01-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't think he has the speed to handle the coverage that would be ideal in the defensive scheme.

Lonestar
03-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Actually he nuked his knee in Den and was on IR in his contract year.

Your correct TPA way over paid for hlm so he left.

When he got there hey played him a the sam spot and between the knee and the new position and attitude they cut his ass.
He came back and told mikey he would not play SLB so they moved DJ to SAM and gave the WLB spot.

Personally I do not understand all the love for DJ as most of his tackles are drag downs from behind After a gain. Until this year he sucked at blitzing. His speed is his forte and is not bigans strong enough to shed blocks. Nor is his coverage skills very good considering his speed.

Lonestar
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Let me add that mikeyloved gold but wanted to sign him cheap because he was coming off a cut knee. That was the only reason he went to TPA they offered him way to much money.