PDA

View Full Version : Players to Decertify by Thursday; Lockout becomes tricky

UnderArmour
02-26-2011, 05:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6161468

The primary reason for decertification would be to file for an injunction that, if granted, would prevent the owners from locking out the players. NFLPA officials and players believe that this could be the only hope to have a full NFL season next year. Furthermore, decertifying as a union prior to the expiration of the CBA would allow NFL players to seek injunctive relief and commence anti-trust action against owners in front of U.S. District Court Judge David Doty, who has had jurisdiction over the current labor agreement since 1993. Owners have attempted unsuccessfully to have Doty removed from jurisdiction and strategically want the CBA to expire to effectively eliminate his authority, a source said.

Looks like the CBA battle will head to court if a new agreement isn't reached.

Krugan
02-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Yay, more tax payer dollars being put to good use...

dogfish
02-26-2011, 06:16 PM
why negotiate when you can litigate-- and take five times the time and fifty times as much money to end up with basically the same result. . .

BroncoWave
02-26-2011, 06:23 PM

Alot of people's (and not just players) jobs and livelihoods are affected by this. A lockout means that alot of people who have jobs tied to the NFL could be out of work. I have no problem with it going to court.

Nickademus
02-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Alot of people's (and not just players) jobs and livelihoods are affected by this. A lockout means that alot of people who have jobs tied to the NFL could be out of work. I have no problem with it going to court.

I absolutely agree. I have family and friends who have had to take pay cuts to keep their jobs in the NFL and some of them were laid off completely. This affects a lot more than just the owners and the players. My guess is the league will get bitch slapped by the Federal courts especially seeing as how they have been lobbying for more exemptions to the anti-trust laws (like MLB) hard to have this both ways.

claymore
02-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Its a great time to suck. Id hate to be a playoff team during this stuff.

Lonestar
02-26-2011, 09:32 PM
actually this could be a good thing also if the players do not get all they want they just might stay non union.

If there is no union then IIRC the clubs can negotiate with any player they want. there would be no minimum contracts nor max deal although I'd bet there would still be the cap.

they could still have the draft and trade players..

the union may just out smart themselves.

as for anti trust I think congress would have to take that away.. I do not believe a judge can do that.

rcsodak
02-27-2011, 01:23 AM

yeah, but be glad it's not yours. :D

rcsodak
02-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Think I read on the ticker, that if talks start turning for the better, that an extension might be asked for......

On a side note....has anybody mentioned or thought of all of the undrafted college free agents who are going to be sitting/stewing after the draft is completed?
I guess if nothing else, the UFL might get some fresh blood.