PDA

View Full Version : The Baseball Playoff Thread

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 08:08 AM
One game tonight. Rather see the Twins than the White Sox, but the White Sox don't lose much at home.

Kind of a crap deal they are playing at home....but the rules are the rules. For those who don't know, its decided on a coin flip in mid-September.

P.S. Blackburn vs. Danks.

Rex
09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
This will be quiet without the Rockies bandwagon this season.

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 08:13 AM
This will be quiet without the Rockies bandwagon this season.

I imagine so...I will be watching every game I can...

Big 12 conference play starts Saturday, though...

BigDaddyBronco
09-30-2008, 08:18 AM
I'll be pulling for my Cubbies, but expect to get my heart broken again.

My main worries are the consistency of the offense (will it get shut down by good pitching in the playoffs) and shaky play by Kerry Wood as the closer. Think the starting pitching is good enough to win it all, but worried about the rest.

It would be cool to win 100 years since their last WS title.

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 08:19 AM

My main worries are the consistency of the offense (will it get shut down by good pitching in the playoffs) and shaky play by Kerry Wood as the closer. Think the starting pitching is good enough to win it all, but worried about the rest.

Lowe, Billingsley, Kuroda...to start.

horsesense
09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Id like to see the Angels win another WS. I wouldnt be heart-broken if the Cubs win it all.
Of course a freeway series (LA) wouldnt be bad just as long as we sweep the Dodgers.

Rex
09-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Go Cubs.

In-com-plete
09-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Go Dodgers!

Screw the 100 years and all that garbage. If the Cubs win, what will they or their fans have to complain about? I'm sure if the Dodgers beat them, everyone will blame this exit of the playoffs on something in LA. The "Curse of the Man-Ram" or "The curse of the LA traffic".

Usually, pitching wins out in the playoffs. Coincidentally, the Dodgers have the best staff in the NL. Going by ERA that is. Lowe's been on fire, Billingsley's been great, we got Saito back, Broxton is better as a set-up man, and Beimel hasn't cut his hand on a beer bottle. The only thing that sucks is we're going to be without Kuo for this series.

Anyway, we got Manny and we're playing the f'in Cubs. Underdogs or not, the Dodgers shoud win this series.

Medford Bronco
09-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Id like to see the Angels win another WS. I wouldnt be heart-broken if the Cubs win it all.
Of course a freeway series (LA) wouldnt be bad just as long as we sweep the Dodgers.

lol sweep the Dodgers. You gotta get there first ;)

same with us too :lol:

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Let's get it on!

BigDaddyBronco
09-30-2008, 06:40 PM
I want to see Minnesota beat the White Sox tonight. God, I hate the White Sox.

"Put it on the board, yessssss..." - God, I hate that HR call. :tsk:

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 06:41 PM
I want to see Minnesota beat the White Sox tonight. God, I hate the White Sox.

"Put it on the board, yessssss..." - God, I hate that HR call. :tsk:

The "Be Gone" after strikeouts is worse...imo...

BroncoBJ
09-30-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't care for either team much but I HATE Chicago and Ozzie's loud mouth. So I'm pulling for the Twins. :laugh:

But I mainly just rooting for a good game. Kind of like last years Rockies/Padres game. That was 1 of my favorite games I've watched. I hope this game isn't a boring one. :salute:

And to win it all I'm going for the Brewers. :salute:

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't care for either team much but I HATE Chicago and Ozzie's loud mouth. So I'm pulling for the Twins. :laugh:

But I mainly just rooting for a good game. Kind of like last years Rockies/Padres game. That was 1 of my favorite games I've watched. I hope this game isn't a boring one. :salute:

And to win it all I'm going for the Brewers. :salute:

I definitely agree. I don't have a rooting interest this year in this game, but as a Royals fan, I'd rather see the Twins in there than the White Sox. Guillen and Pierzynski are both classless individuals...imo...and the Twins show nothing but class.

studbucket
09-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Go Brewers! First time in the playoffs since I've been alive. Lord knows after Sabathia and Sheets leave we won't be seeing the postseason for a while again...

BroncoBJ
09-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I definitely agree. I don't have a rooting interest this year in this game, but as a Royals fan, I'd rather see the Twins in there than the White Sox. Guillen and Pierzynski are both classless individuals...imo...and the Twins show nothing but class.

Yea, the Twins seem like a classy organization. And even after losing players like Hunter and Santana, they are still in the midst of making the playoffs again.

I don't hate AJ too much. But I definatly hate Ozzie. All that guy does is talk. Him and Rivers would make a good duo. :salute:
He was even talking before the game about Blackburn. :lol:

Plus I don't like thier announcer Harrelson either. Theres really nothing I like about that team.

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Yea, the Twins seem like a classy organization. And even after losing players like Hunter and Santana, they are still in the midst of making the playoffs again.

I don't hate AJ too much. But I definatly hate Ozzie. All that guy does is talk. Him and Rivers would make a good duo. :salute:
He was even talking before the game about Blackburn. :lol:

Plus I don't like thier announcer Harrelson either. Theres really nothing I like about that team.

Pierzynski is the one I can't stand.

He's a punk. Always notice how he gets all tough and manly until it comes to actually doing something about it. He's a bitch.

BroncoBJ
09-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Pierzynski is the one I can't stand.

He's a punk. Always notice how he gets all tough and manly until it comes to actually doing something about it. He's a bitch.

:lol: Yea, he is kind of a bitch. I don't hate him the most though. I think I kinda liked him cause he use to be on the best damn sports show period a lot.

I really hate Ozzie though. He's 1 of few managers that I just hate. I don't want to see them make the playoffs and hear him run his mouth anymore then I have to :(

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 08:19 PM
This is an absolute brilliant pitcher's dual. And Blackburn is still technically a rookie...and the home run just f'd up my assessment...

BigDaddyBronco
09-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Damn White Sox. :tsk:

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Damn White Sox. :tsk:

I feel good for Jim Thome, though...he's a good guy...

BigDaddyBronco
09-30-2008, 09:02 PM
I feel good for Jim Thome, though...he's a good guy...

I agree, always have liked the guy.

I can't see them beating the Angels or Red Sox though.

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I agree, always have liked the guy.

I can't see them beating the Angels or Red Sox though.

Don't doubt the Rays!

I won $40 off their Division run...and I made that bet in June...

BigDaddyBronco
09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Don't doubt the Rays!

I won $40 off their Division run...and I made that bet in June...
They are rested and talented, but also inexperienced and young. It will be fun to watch, bet it's in the middle of the afternoon. Can't complain if they show the Cubs in primetime though. :D

Buff
09-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Jim Thome is drunk at his press conference right now.

MOtorboat
09-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Jim Thome is drunk at his press conference right now.

Yes he is.

Benetto
09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Thome is one of my faves...He is one that never needed juice to hit a jack...That is all old-man strength right there...Hall of Famer, no doubt.

Benetto
09-30-2008, 09:49 PM
How many games is it going to take the Cubs?

Is Z 100%?

BigDaddyBronco
09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
How many games is it going to take the Cubs?

Is Z 100%?

I'm not sure on Z. He was pitching lousy. They put him on the DL, then he throws a no hitter, then he pitches lousy again.

The Dodgers have good pitching, but you have Dempster in games 1 and 5 and he has won 14 games at Wrigley this year. Harden is solid and Lily has been pitching great and they have said he'll start Game 4.

I'm going to say Cubs in 4 or 5.

slim
09-30-2008, 09:56 PM

Yeah, I will be pulling for the Cubs too. I was a Cubs fan growing up (before Colorado had professional baseball).

BigDaddyBronco
09-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I will be pulling for the Cubs too. I was a Cubs fan growing up (before Colorado had professional baseball).
I was a Cubs fan growing up in NM because we had WGN. When you start watching a team in the mid 80's it sticks with you.

CoachChaz
10-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I predict the Dodgers win the first 2 games. Lowe has been pitching insane for LA lately and Zambrano has been horrible. Chicago takes game 3...and the rest is up for grabs.

Philly is my team until they get knocked out. Gotta go with the hometown team

In-com-plete
10-01-2008, 12:53 PM
I predict the Dodgers win the first 2 games. Lowe has been pitching insane for LA lately and Zambrano has been horrible. Chicago takes game 3...and the rest is up for grabs.

Philly is my team until they get knocked out. Gotta go with the hometown team

Holy cow Coach! It's like you read my mind.

Lowe's been on fire the past month or so, plus he's completely dominated the Cubs this year. Actually, he's pitched very well against the Cubs since he came to LA.

Billingsley hasn't been as great as Lowe this past month, but he's still pitched extremely well. He'll be facing . . . . "Z". Who, is either going to be great or awful. It's completely unknown.

Games one and two should go to LA and game three, like you said, is up for grabs.

:D

CoachChaz
10-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Holy cow Coach! It's like you read my mind.

Lowe's been on fire the past month or so, plus he's completely dominated the Cubs this year. Actually, he's pitched very well against the Cubs since he came to LA.

Billingsley hasn't been as great as Lowe this past month, but he's still pitched extremely well. He'll be facing . . . . "Z". Who, is either going to be great or awful. It's completely unknown.

Games one and two should go to LA and game three, like you said, is up for grabs.

Zambrano is just such a head case that if they are down 1-0 and he isnt pitching well, he will fall apart. Could be another disappointment for Cubs fans.

Benetto
10-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Here Billy Goat, where are you....Come out from where ever you are...

Benetto
10-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Grand SLAM BABY!!!

BigDaddyBronco
10-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Cubs kicking me in the balls again.

Dempster pitches good all season, gets into the playoffs and has control issues. WTF!

Now they have to win 3 of 4, great. :tsk:

MOtorboat
10-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Cubs kicking me in the balls again.

Dempster pitches good all season, gets into the playoffs and has control issues. WTF!

Now they have to win 3 of 4, great. :tsk:

Yeah, but it is game one. Don't panic. Although the Cubs are going to have to pitch deep into games, because so far this bullpen sucks.

MOtorboat
10-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Is Manny the greatest hitter ever?

BigDaddyBronco
10-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, but it is game one. Don't panic. Although the Cubs are going to have to pitch deep into games, because so far this bullpen sucks.

Their middle inning relief sucks.

Good in late innings, good starting pitching (usually), scary in the middle.

Big Z better be lights out tomorrow or series is over.

BigDaddyBronco
10-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Is Manny the greatest hitter ever?
From what I hear it's Ted Williams. Manny is awesome though. Too bad he's a head case.

MOtorboat
10-01-2008, 08:39 PM
From what I hear it's Ted Williams. Manny is awesome though. Too bad he's a head case.

Everything I've ever heard about him behind the scenes, though, says he's the hardest worker in baseball...

BigDaddyBronco
10-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Everything I've ever heard about him behind the scenes, though, says he's the hardest worker in baseball...

Especially when he is making a call on his cell phone in the outfield by the Green Monster.

I don't buy it, he may work hard on his hitting, but he is still pudgy and can't play the outfield worth a shit. So he isn't working that hard.

MOtorboat
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Especially when he is making a call on his cell phone in the outfield by the Green Monster.

I don't buy it, he may work hard on his hitting, but he is still pudgy and can't play the outfield worth a shit. So he isn't working that hard.

He hit, .396 with 17 HRs and 53 RBI in 53 games with the Dodgers, at the age of 36...I don't give a shit if he couldn't catch a fly ball hit right at him.

MOtorboat
10-01-2008, 08:47 PM
The Dodgers bring in Maddox!

I was too busy fighting with Frau to realize it...wow...

MOtorboat
10-01-2008, 08:47 PM
And of all things...the gold-glover doesn't make the play, although that's not really his fault...

MOtorboat
10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I was afraid this game would roll by and I'd have to wait for the second game...:beer: glad it stretched out a little...

BigDaddyBronco
10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
He hit, .396 with 17 HRs and 53 RBI in 53 games with the Dodgers, at the age of 36...I don't give a shit if he couldn't catch a fly ball hit right at him.

I didn't say he couldn't hit like a demon. I just don't buy that he is the hardest worker in baseball. Sounds like one of those things Manny apologists say.

MOtorboat
10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I didn't say he couldn't hit like a demon. I just don't buy that he is the hardest worker in baseball. Sounds like one of those things Manny apologists say.

He hit .396 in the last 53 games...I'll take that with the "antics."

No apologist here, just realize how good he is.

BigDaddyBronco
10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I didn't say I wouldn't want him on my team for the second half of a season. Three or four years in, maybe not so much.

In-com-plete
10-01-2008, 09:15 PM

A friend of mine saw him in the Miami airport with his "entourage" a couple years back. Said he had jeans and a t-shirt on and looked like RB or MLB. He said he wasn't ripped, but you could tell he'd spent a lot of time in the weight room. He also said Manny's a lot shorter than he thought.

And thinking back, how many times have you seen him without long sleeves or tighter clothes on? He's always got those extra baggy pants and XXXXL jersey on.

I'd say he's more muscle than chub. David Ortiz, Giambi, Kirby Puckett, Ryan Howard, and even an Aramis Ramirez are guys I'd call pudgy before Manny.

BigDaddyBronco
10-01-2008, 09:22 PM
A friend of mine saw him in the Miami airport with his "entourage" a couple years back. Said he had jeans and a t-shirt on and looked like RB or MLB. He said he wasn't ripped, but you could tell he'd spent a lot of time in the weight room. He also said Manny's a lot shorter than he thought.

And thinking back, how many times have you seen him without long sleeves or tighter clothes on? He's always got those extra baggy pants and XXXXL jersey on.

I'd say he's more muscle than chub. David Ortiz, Giambi, Kirby Puckett, Ryan Howard, and even an Aramis Ramirez are guys I'd call pudgy before Manny.

Good point. Frame has a lot to do with it. Obviously he doesn't look like Derrick Lee, nor does he look like David Wells. Giambi looks pretty thin after he got off the juice though.

Hey, I'll give you a blimp. Prince Fielder. That guy is at least 3 bills.

Medford Bronco
10-02-2008, 12:59 AM
What a good night for Med.

Dodgers win and the Sox win.

I love the little guys that are not the focal point of teams that were instrumental in them winning. Troy Loney of the Dodgers and Jacoby Ellsbury of the Sox. :beer:

Lester also pitched a gem. Great job Jon

so far so good.

oh btw great win for the Phils as well. Cole Hammels was excellent

Cutler6MVP
10-02-2008, 07:21 AM
The Cubs season rests in the hands of a CRAZY Dominican who is either lights out or god awful.

Would the Cubs have it any other way?

Being a die hard Cubs fan, I dont want my season in the hands of this crazy S.O.B

BigDaddyBronco
10-02-2008, 07:55 AM
The Cubs season rests in the hands of a CRAZY Dominican who is either lights out or god awful.

Would the Cubs have it any other way?

Being a die hard Cubs fan, I dont want my season in the hands of this crazy S.O.B

Zambrano is Venezuelan I think.

MOtorboat
10-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Zambrano is Venezuelan I think.

LOL...he's still crazy...

claymore
10-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Can we talk about drinking in here MB?

MOtorboat
10-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Can we talk about drinking in here MB?

You do what you want, stud.

CoachChaz
10-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Other than the 2nd inning, Lowe was awesome. Tonight we'll see if prediction holds true and Zambrano self explodes.

Hamels was dominant and needed to be with the Phils bats being silent. We'll see if Sabathia can keep his dominance alive tonght.

Lester looked good and Jason Bay quieted the doubtesr for now.

Should be interesting to see how Shields and the Rays fare against a slumping pitcher and a powerhouse lineup

Medford Bronco
10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Other than the 2nd inning, Lowe was awesome. Tonight we'll see if prediction holds true and Zambrano self explodes.

Hamels was dominant and needed to be with the Phils bats being silent. We'll see if Sabathia can keep his dominance alive tonght.

Lester looked good and Jason Bay quieted the doubtesr for now.

Should be interesting to see how Shields and the Rays fare against a slumping pitcher and a powerhouse lineup

I hope you are right Coach:beer: I would love LA to be up 2 going back home.

we shall see.

MOtorboat
10-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Stupid afternoon playoff baseball :tsk:

This is the game I want to watch, too...

I think the Game 2 pitching matchup is the interesting one, Kazmir-Buehrle.

CoachChaz
10-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Stupid afternoon playoff baseball :tsk:

This is the game I want to watch, too...

I think the Game 2 pitching matchup is the interesting one, Kazmir-Buehrle.

I'll take Kazmir. The ChiSox are all about HR's. They couldnt manufacture a run if they had to and their top HR hitter is out. Now Kaz did give up 23 homers in only 152 IP, but his 9.8 K/IP stands out too. Im almost inclined to say TB sweeps this series

MOtorboat
10-02-2008, 05:51 PM
I think C.C.'s arm just fell off...

MOtorboat
10-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Yup...well...it was a good run for you C.C.

BigDaddyBronco
10-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Yup...well...it was a good run for you C.C.
He just pulled a Dempster. :laugh:

MOtorboat
10-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Zambrano doesn't look 100 percent, but his two-seamer is just working it.

Stick to the two-seamer Carlos.

Broncospsycho77
10-02-2008, 09:04 PM
It just isn't the same without Rocktober :tsk:

MOtorboat
10-02-2008, 09:07 PM
:choke:

Benetto
10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Woooooo Baby!

I am lovin this!!!

Benetto
10-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I have a bad feeling about the bottom of this inning...

MOtorboat
10-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I have a bad feeling about the bottom of this inning...

I don't know why....

Benetto
10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't know why....

Everything just seems too calm...Zambrano is a good hitter then top of line-up.

Benetto
10-02-2008, 09:33 PM
See, Z is on...

Benetto
10-02-2008, 09:35 PM
If Billingsly chokes up a 5 point lead, that's it...Momentum shift...in the series...

I've been drinking Moe...

MOtorboat
10-02-2008, 09:37 PM
If Billingsly chokes up a 5 point lead, that's it...Momentum shift...in the series...

I've been drinking Moe...

Don't worry...you're good...Zambrano is rattled...

P.S. So have I...

MOtorboat
10-02-2008, 09:43 PM
That's the third error.

:choke:

Benetto
10-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Come on Russ!! At least get a walk....Not a SO.

Benetto
10-02-2008, 09:46 PM
:tsk:

In-com-plete
10-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Manny Ramirez for president!

Benetto
10-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Other than Pau Gasol to the Lakers...I can't think of any ONE player to make such a difference for a team, in modern day sports....When brought in during the regular season.

Manny Manny Manny!!!

In-com-plete
10-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Other than Pau Gasol to the Lakers...I can't think of any ONE player to make such a difference for a team, in modern day sports....When brought in during the regular season.

Manny Manny Manny!!!

" I'd like to thank Joe for cutting my hair."

Medford Bronco
10-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Looking very good so far. :beer:

I have been very happy so far, I hope it continues. :salute:

Go Blue

BigDaddyBronco
10-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Once again, the Cubbies let down their fans.

Maybe next year. :tsk:

God, I'm glad the Broncos have won it in my lifetime.

Broncolingus
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I cannot tell a lie - this is my fault...

I am going for the Cubs and Brewers...

Benetto
10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
"It's hard when your teammates make things difficult for you," Zambrano said. "Like I said, it's not an excuse."

Nothing worse than throwing your team under the bus. :tsk:

Broncolingus
10-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Nothing worse than throwing your team under the bus. :tsk:

I read that too...what a jacka$$.

Benetto
10-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Shit...Looks like they are on a rally. 2 outs come on Blue.

Benetto
10-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Nice catch Matt!!!!!!!!!!!

In-com-plete
10-05-2008, 12:07 AM
3 outs and my heart's racing.

In-com-plete
10-05-2008, 12:08 AM
2 outs and I'm shaking.

In-com-plete
10-05-2008, 12:10 AM
1 out and I'm sweating like crazy.

In-com-plete
10-05-2008, 12:13 AM
"He went around. Strike 3. And the Dodgers sweep!"

We love L.A.

Benetto
10-05-2008, 12:28 AM
I'd like to take my hat off to the Cubbies...They had a great season.

Congrats Dodgers...Welcome to the second round.it's been a while.

Medford Bronco
10-06-2008, 08:16 AM
I am very happy with LA sweeping the Cubs. This was shocking to me.
I hope it continues vs another hot team in Philly.

The Cubs and the good fans like my uncle, I do feel bad for them. I really hope they do win it in our lifetime as they deserve to win. Such good fans staying there in game 2 in the cold when down 10-1. I salute them. :salute:

now Go Blue

I also give credit to the White Sox and Angels for extending their series as well.

horsesense
10-06-2008, 08:24 AM
I am very happy with LA sweeping the Dodgers.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Med, but we gotta get there first..;)

Medford Bronco
10-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Med, but we gotta get there first..;)

:lol: yes I cant type. Cubs

MOtorboat
10-06-2008, 08:56 AM
So...Dodgers-Phillies...should be an entertaining one...when does it start? Thursday?

Medford Bronco
10-06-2008, 10:20 AM
So...Dodgers-Phillies...should be an entertaining one...when does it start? Thursday?

I think it is Thursday at 8 PM EST.

I am really looking forward to this series. :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
The Rays advance

Broncolingus
10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Alright Rays!!!

Go Angels!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Alright Rays!!!

Go Angels!!!

Boston won - hope the Rays can take them

Broncolingus
10-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Boston won - hope the Rays can take them

I'm with ya, sister...

You're now looking at the #1 Ray fan...

Go Rays!!!!

Medford Bronco
10-06-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm with ya, sister...

You're now looking at the #1 Ray fan...

Go Rays!!!!

Boooooo JK :lol:

I just want to see Boston vs LA as it would be awesome to see Meds two favorite teams play each other. :salute:

Broncolingus
10-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Boooooo JK :lol:

I just want to see Boston vs LA as it would be awesome to see Meds two favorite teams play each other. :salute:

Alright, Med...

I'll give ya a pass on that BoSox pick since you got that fine pic of Paula in your Sig...

..but, let's not forget Natalie Gulbis.

That's gosh-darn fine good shaisa too GI...

MNPatsFan
10-07-2008, 10:19 AM
According to John Lackey and Tori Hunter, the Angels were the better team even though the Red Sox beat them in 3 out of 4 games, including two in Anaheim.:rolleyes:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/better-year-team-2183068-angels-red

IMHO, claiming that the Angels were better than the Red Sox is the same as claiming that the Cubs were the better team even though they were swept by the Dodgers.:lol:

It also comes across as poor sportsmanship on the part of Lackey and Hunter.:Cry:

CoachChaz
10-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I would agree that on paper and statistically, the Cubs and Angels were better teams than their counterparts. It comes down to who produces the most during a series.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
My preference for the World Series is Dodgers - Rays. But I am sure the network preference would be Dodgers - Boston - i.e. Manny's current team against Manny's X team.

Medford Bronco
10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
According to John Lackey and Tori Hunter, the Angels were the better team even though the Red Sox beat them in 3 out of 4 games, including two in Anaheim.:rolleyes:

IMHO, claiming that the Angels were better than the Red Sox is the same as claiming that the Cubs were the better team even though they were swept by the Dodgers.:lol:

It also comes across as poor sportsmanship on the part of Lackey and Hunter.:Cry:

The Angels were the bigger chokers as they do every year vs the Red Sox :lol:

MOtorboat
10-07-2008, 03:43 PM

I don't know if there's anything wrong with thinking you had a better team at the end of a series, or a playoff game, or what not...just not so sure voicing said opinion is a very good idea.

Broncolingus
10-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Oh, look...

Back from Seattle (actually Tacoma/Ft. Lewis) and REALLY glad to see TB lose to the BoSox.

****!!!

(those **** are brought to you by the letter 'F')

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/thazzle/evil_sesame_street.jpg

Broncolingus
10-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Alright Ray's...in fact, better than 'alright.'

...the Ray's knocked the crap out of em (9-1).

Way to go!!!!

Things are looking good there and the jinx bug still seems to be lost.

Go Philly's!!!

Broncolingus
10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
C'mon Rays!!!!!

Medford Bronco
10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
I hope LA can at least extend the series. Go Blue :salute:

CoachChaz
10-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Hamels is shutting it down tonight.

Benetto
10-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Hamels is shutting it down tonight.

I would sock you in the arm if I was there Chazzard...It's because you haven't been wrong thus far.

Medford Bronco
10-15-2008, 05:30 PM
I would sock you in the arm if I was there Chazzard...It's because you haven't been wrong thus far.

That is why he is the coach :salute:

He has gotta be wrong once, right :eek:

Devilspawn
10-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Alyssa Milano looked really depressed. That was the saddest, sexiest shot all night.

BroncoAV06
10-15-2008, 10:30 PM
The NL sure likes to share the wealth when it comes to world series bids. Got to be excited if your team plays in the NL, Rockies last year, had the Cards, Marlins, Stros, in past years, now the Phills.

The story lines with the Dodges would have been great but still the Rays are a hell of a story and got to love when all the high draft picks actually pay off.

Medford Bronco
10-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Go Phillies beat those Devil..I mean Rays

CoachChaz
10-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Phillies in 6. I dont see the Rays staying this hot for the ENTIRE post season and the muscle in the Philly lineup is bound to eventually show up

Medford Bronco
10-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Tampa is laying waste to the Sox.

It goes to show you that if you draft good, eventually you will win.

Congrats to them. They deserve everything they get, even though I dont like them.

MOtorboat
10-16-2008, 11:13 PM
This game is crazy.

OB
10-16-2008, 11:34 PM
f'n a - how do u blow a 7 run lead - if thats not the craziest shit ever - idk what is

honz
10-16-2008, 11:49 PM
What the **** just happened? I am depressed. I hate going to bed in this sort of mood.

OB
10-16-2008, 11:56 PM
What the **** just happened? I am depressed. I hate going to bed in this sort of mood.

its called the BS fix - they need the series to last longer - what kind of playoff team gives up a 7 run lead in 2 innings - BS BS BS :coffee:

Medford Bronco
10-16-2008, 11:58 PM
its called the BS fix - they need the series to last longer - what kind of playoff team gives up a 7 run lead in 2 innings - BS BS BS :coffee:

lol no way OB the Rays just choked. it was funny actually

I hope boston comes back so at least I can have one team to root for. :salute:

I cant stand the Devil..I mean Rays and have no opinion on the Phillies

OB
10-17-2008, 12:01 AM
lol no way OB the Rays just choked. it was funny actually

I hope boston comes back so at least I can have one team to root for. :salute:

I cant stand the Devil..I mean Rays and have no opinion on the Phillies

GD u med - nothing bothers me more than disagreeing with you :tsk::tsk:

honz
10-17-2008, 12:15 AM
How can you not stand the Rays? A bunch of young players taking a franchise from being the laughing stock of the league to being WS contenders...

I can see just not liking them, but I'm not sure how you could hate them...unless you are a Red Sox fan or something.

Medford Bronco
10-17-2008, 08:09 AM
How can you not stand the Rays? A bunch of young players taking a franchise from being the laughing stock of the league to being WS contenders...

I can see just not liking them, but I'm not sure how you could hate them...unless you are a Red Sox fan or something.

easily I like the Red Sox. The fans dont support their team as they
have a hard time selling out in the playoffs which is pathetic.

Johnny Gomez is a punk.

and have had tons of dust ups over the years with fighting with the Sox and
even with NY in Spring Training. That is how.

CoachChaz
10-17-2008, 09:10 AM
I know being an Orioles fan I root against Boston and TB every day. I was born in Philly, so I do have a liking for them. Pretty easy decision for me, but regardless of who wins this series...I still think Philly takes them.

BroncoBJ
10-17-2008, 03:04 PM
:lol: That game was some sick shit.
Sure did piss me off.
Tampa Bay just spread thier legs and gave it up. :mad:

Reminds me of most the girls in my town. :elefant:

Broncolingus
10-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Having the BoSox come back pissed me off to no end...

Tampa will teach them a lesson in respect tomorrow night...

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/images/fan_forum/wallpapers/y2005/WIN_800x600.jpg

honz
10-18-2008, 07:19 PM
TBS can go to hell! They are having "technical difficulties" and they aren't showing the game at the moment! WTF?

MOtorboat
10-18-2008, 07:21 PM
TBS can go to hell! They are having "technical difficulties" and they aren't showing the game at the moment! WTF?

LOL, that's hilarious...

Good thing I have a Colorado game to watch! Otherwise, I'd be pissed.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Rays scored 1 in the bottom of the 1st, but don't know if the inning is over or not.

honz
10-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Homerun, BJ Upton! Is this guy locked in or what? That is huge for the Rays IMO, since it will keep them believing that they can bet Beckett and the Sox. 1-0 in the bottom of the 1st with 1 out.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2008, 07:30 PM
You can follow the game here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2008_10_18_bosmlb_tbamlb_1

honz
10-18-2008, 07:32 PM
The game is on TBS now, thank goodness! 1-0 Rays at the end of the 1st.

honz
10-18-2008, 08:07 PM
God, I hate the Red Sox. They just look so smug when things are going well. I know it is probably just because they have had success of late, but I just can't stand them.

Broncolingus
10-19-2008, 11:42 AM
God, I hate the Red Sox. They just look so smug when things are going well. I know it is probably just because they have had success of late, but I just can't stand them.

Amen, brother.

I have sworn more at the last two ALCS games then I care to remember...

Go Rays!

Medford Bronco
10-19-2008, 04:57 PM

you want to talk of smug the Devil Rays were laughing when up 7-0

all teams look that way when they win and if the Rays lose tonight
it will go down as one of the all time choke jobs.

If not good for them to right the ship.
I would not feel very confident if I were a Rays fan though

Broncolingus
10-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Rays! Rays! Rays!!!!!

MOtorboat
10-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Hell yeah!

honz
10-19-2008, 11:02 PM
RAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a game. I no longer have fingernails...

Thnikkaman
10-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Eat it Red Sox. I hope the Phillies can win it for the NL, but I have nothing but respect for the Rays.

Sassy
10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
The Rays were a lot more entertaining tonight than the Bucs :D

Devilspawn
10-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Viva la last MLB dynasty. :elefant:

BroncoBJ
10-19-2008, 11:51 PM
:elefant: Hell yea. Always great watching Boston lose :)

Medford Bronco
10-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Congrats to the Rays. they deserved to win. :beer:

and good luck vs Philly as I RKC who wins now.

I just want to be entertained.

Even though most hate the Sox they showed guts in never quitting
and I would think most would admit they played hard to the end
amidst a lot of injuries

Broncolingus
10-20-2008, 08:34 AM

amidst a lot of injuries

GP, Med...never count the Sox out!

Thnikkaman
10-20-2008, 08:53 AM

amidst a lot of injuries

No doubt. I can't stand the Red Sox or the Yankees, but I respect how tallented those teams are, and how they manage to be in the hunt for it every year. I hope the Rockies will eventually rise to that level of competativeness.

MOtorboat
10-20-2008, 08:54 AM
No doubt. I can't stand the Red Sox or the Yankees, but I respect how tallented those teams are, and how they manage to be in the hunt for it every year. I hope the Rockies will eventually rise to that level of competativeness.

Never will happen in the current system, unless they plan to spend $250 million every year.

Thnikkaman
10-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Never will happen in the current system, unless they plan to spend $250 million every year.

I think that is one of the big reasons why I have a hard time getting into Baseball.

OB
10-20-2008, 09:31 AM
What a game last night - :woot: I wanted the Sux to lose as bad as I want the Yankees to win in the same situation :lol:

Phillies are 13th at 98.2 million
Rays are 29th at 43.8 million

Rockies are 20th at 68.6 million

So money does not buy championships :coffee:

MOtorboat
10-20-2008, 09:35 AM
So money does not buy championships :coffee:

Yes. It does.

It buys talent, which creates competitive longevity, which if it produces more than one championship, such as it has in both the case of the Red Sox and Yankees, it is buying a championship(s). Otherwise, if it were true that spending money doesn't buy success, teams would stop spending that much money. How many teams are you seeing doing that?

Notice how the Rocks were pretty much one and done? Notice how the Indians did this year? I will almost put money on the Rays not even coming close to the playoffs next year.

OB
10-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Nothing is a guarantee is all im sayin - Yankees havent been in what 5 years - and the last time they went they lost to the marlins - werent they the lowest salaried team at the time (i dont remember )

Money can buy you all the talent in the world - talent doesnt mean you will always win the championship - esp whne you have the worlds biggest jinx as a fan ;)

honz
10-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Yes. It does.

It buys talent, which creates competitive longevity, which if it produces more than one championship, such as it has in both the case of the Red Sox and Yankees, it is buying a championship(s). Otherwise, if it were true that spending money doesn't buy success, teams would stop spending that much money. How many teams are you seeing doing that?

Notice how the Rocks were pretty much one and done? Notice how the Indians did this year? I will almost put money on the Rays not even coming close to the playoffs next year.
The Rays will be fine next year as all of their key players will be coming back...and pretty much all of those key players are pretty young and are in their prime or even still improving. It is a couple years down the line that they may run into problems when they have to resign all of their young players that are going to want big money.

honz
10-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Nothing is a guarantee is all im sayin - Yankees havent been in what 5 years - and the last time they went they lost to the marlins - werent they the lowest salaried team at the time (i dont remember )

Money can buy you all the talent in the world - talent doesnt mean you will always win the championship - esp whne you have the worlds biggest jinx as a fan ;)

No, money doesn't guarantee a championship, but it certainly helps. There is a reason why the Yankees and Red Sox are good every year while most other teams have to go through rebuilding periods...

CoachChaz
10-20-2008, 10:22 AM
The Rays will still be competetive, but there is no guarantee they can repeat the success of this year, or even make the playoffs for that matter. The Yanks and Sox are able to go out and blow tons of money to be competetive every year. While it doesnt always work...sometimes it does. The odds of any team not named the Yankees or Red Sox winning that division is a fluke...2 years in a row wont happen.

Just look at the Free agents that the Jays, Roys and Orioles attract. a mid-level guy here and there, but no big names. What big time player wants to come to the AL East and never go to the playoffs. It's a monoploy and a travesty that those two disgusting teams are able to get away with the spending they do without any intervention from MLB.

Benetto
10-20-2008, 01:28 PM
GO Rays!!

MOtorboat
10-20-2008, 01:42 PM
The Rays will be fine next year as all of their key players will be coming back...and pretty much all of those key players are pretty young and are in their prime or even still improving. It is a couple years down the line that they may run into problems when they have to resign all of their young players that are going to want big money.

Here's the thing, though...how many of these guys is it their career year?

I know they've got a lot of young talent, but what usually happens on these runs is these guys have outstanding breakout seasons, and they fall back in the second year. The Rockies are an outstanding example of this exact thing happening. All sorts of young talent, but then the inconsistencies of youth start showing up the next season, especially since the season is so long.

Pos Player Ag G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG SB CS GDP HBP SH SF IBB OPS+
---+-------------------+--+----+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+----+-----+-----+-----+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+----+
C #Dioner Navarro 24 120 427 43 126 27 0 7 54 34 49 .295 .349 .407 0 4 16 3 3 3 1 102
1B *Carlos Pena 30 139 490 76 121 24 2 31 102 96 166 .247 .377 .494 1 1 6 12 0 9 7 132
2B *Akinori Iwamura 29 152 627 91 172 30 9 6 48 70 131 .274 .349 .380 8 6 2 4 3 3 3 96
3B Evan Longoria 22 122 448 67 122 31 2 27 85 46 122 .272 .343 .531 7 0 8 6 0 8 4 130
SS Jason Bartlett 28 128 454 48 130 25 3 1 37 22 69 .286 .329 .361 20 6 9 9 5 4 1 85
LF *Carl Crawford 26 109 443 69 121 12 10 8 57 30 60 .273 .319 .400 25 7 10 2 0 5 1 91
CF B.J. Upton 23 145 531 85 145 37 2 9 67 97 134 .273 .383 .401 44 16 13 2 3 7 4 111
RF *Gabe Gross 28 127 302 40 73 13 3 13 38 40 75 .242 .333 .434 2 2 6 2 0 1 0 104
DH *Cliff Floyd 35 80 246 32 66 13 0 11 39 28 58 .268 .349 .455 1 0 4 5 0 5 2 114

The only two real stand-out numbers hitting-wise is Longoria and Carlos Pena. Other than those two, they aren't hitting them out of the park a whole lot. They were 10th in the league in home runs, yet they have just four of their regular starters hitting more than 15. Eric Hinske hit 20 off the bench, and starting quite a bit at various outfield positions. He's probably not going to hit 20 again.

You're banking on Garza, Kazmir, Sonnanstine, Shields and Jackson all winning double-figure games again. Kazmir and Garza I'll bet on, but not the other three. David Price looks like a stud, but what happens when you ask him to go seven or eight innings every start?

Meanwhile, in Boston, we have such a history with the players...we know what they are, how they will do...we know these aren't career years for those players. You add in that the Rays have to compete against the Yankees and Red Sox, who have these proven, paid for players, and its just not an easy task. In fact, I'd personally say that it was a better bet that the Rockies would repeat their big year before the Rays repeat this big year. It could be a real tough year in Tampa next year.

honz
10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Here's the thing, though...how many of these guys is it their career year?

I know they've got a lot of young talent, but what usually happens on these runs is these guys have outstanding breakout seasons, and they fall back in the second year. The Rockies are an outstanding example of this exact thing happening. All sorts of young talent, but then the inconsistencies of youth start showing up the next season, especially since the season is so long.

Pos Player Ag G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG SB CS GDP HBP SH SF IBB OPS+
---+-------------------+--+----+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+----+-----+-----+-----+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+----+
C #Dioner Navarro 24 120 427 43 126 27 0 7 54 34 49 .295 .349 .407 0 4 16 3 3 3 1 102
1B *Carlos Pena 30 139 490 76 121 24 2 31 102 96 166 .247 .377 .494 1 1 6 12 0 9 7 132
2B *Akinori Iwamura 29 152 627 91 172 30 9 6 48 70 131 .274 .349 .380 8 6 2 4 3 3 3 96
3B Evan Longoria 22 122 448 67 122 31 2 27 85 46 122 .272 .343 .531 7 0 8 6 0 8 4 130
SS Jason Bartlett 28 128 454 48 130 25 3 1 37 22 69 .286 .329 .361 20 6 9 9 5 4 1 85
LF *Carl Crawford 26 109 443 69 121 12 10 8 57 30 60 .273 .319 .400 25 7 10 2 0 5 1 91
CF B.J. Upton 23 145 531 85 145 37 2 9 67 97 134 .273 .383 .401 44 16 13 2 3 7 4 111
RF *Gabe Gross 28 127 302 40 73 13 3 13 38 40 75 .242 .333 .434 2 2 6 2 0 1 0 104
DH *Cliff Floyd 35 80 246 32 66 13 0 11 39 28 58 .268 .349 .455 1 0 4 5 0 5 2 114

The only two real stand-out numbers hitting-wise is Longoria and Carlos Pena. Other than those two, they aren't hitting them out of the park a whole lot. They were 10th in the league in home runs, yet they have just four of their regular starters hitting more than 15. Eric Hinske hit 20 off the bench, and starting quite a bit at various outfield positions. He's probably not going to hit 20 again.

You're banking on Garza, Kazmir, Sonnanstine, Shields and Jackson all winning double-figure games again. Kazmir and Garza I'll bet on, but not the other three. David Price looks like a stud, but what happens when you ask him to go seven or eight innings every start?

Meanwhile, in Boston, we have such a history with the players...we know what they are, how they will do...we know these aren't career years for those players. You add in that the Rays have to compete against the Yankees and Red Sox, who have these proven, paid for players, and its just not an easy task. In fact, I'd personally say that it was a better bet that the Rockies would repeat their big year before the Rays repeat this big year. It could be a real tough year in Tampa next year.
I respectfully disagree. Tampa was far more consistent than the Rockies were last year IMO and I think that the Rays have more talent overall. They have 2 potential MVP candidates in Longoria and Upton. Pena, Crawford, are proven players...and I think their starting pitchers are for real. Kazmir actually had a down year, especially in the 2nd half. Garza will be dominant whenever he has his curveball working for him. Sonnanstine and Shields are solid...and let's not forget that Price was dominant in the minors as a starter this year, so he is capable of going 7 innings. I would bet good money (hypothetically:D) that the Rays are right in the mix next year.

I do understand where you are coming from, but I just don't see it with this team.

MOtorboat
10-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I respectfully disagree. Tampa was far more consistent than the Rockies were last year IMO and I think that the Rays have more talent overall. They have 2 potential MVP candidates in Longoria and Upton. Pena, Crawford, are proven players...and I think their starting pitchers are for real. Kazmir actually had a down year, especially in the 2nd half. Garza will be dominant whenever he has his curveball working for him. Sonnanstine and Shields are solid...and let's not forget that Price was dominant in the minors as a starter this year, so he is capable of going 7 innings. I would bet good money (hypothetically:D) that the Rays are right in the mix next year.

I do understand where you are coming from, but I just don't see it with this team.

I'd also say the same thing. I think those guys are the real deal. They've got the potential for a great core of young players.

But then it goes back to the Yankees and Red Sox. Only two teams are making the playoffs, and maybe only one, depending on how the Central plays (the Angels will get in the West, and that's probably it out there).

The problem for the Rays, and the whole reason this discussion was brought up, is the spending that the Yankees and Red Sox will do.

The Yankees are probably going to sign Teixeira, and probably another outfielder, knowing them. A.J. Burnett has an opt-out in Toronto, so don't be too surprised if he's a Yankee. They are going to make a huge push for C.C. Sabathia. And despite bad years, Phillip Hughes and Ian Kennedy will be back in the majors next year, and Joba will potentially start finally. That's a pretty solid rotation when you factor in Wang (Yes, the Yankees have a six-foot Wang).

I bet the Red Sox sign a few guys, and their young pitchers are outstanding. Wakefield and Beckett will still be there. Varitek will be there. They themselves have three young players, Lowrie, Ellsbury and Pedroia who are going to hurt people for years. We talk about the key to a baseball team being up the middle, well that's a SS, 2B, CF, with an already solid C and a pitching staff that might be the best in baseball.

It's just much more scary of a proposition for the Rays than any other team, and its because of the division they are in. No team has less control over their playoff lives than any one of Baltimore, Tampa and Toronto.

claymore
10-20-2008, 02:46 PM
MO, fly down here and lets go to the world series.

honz
10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
I'd also say the same thing. I think those guys are the real deal. They've got the potential for a great core of young players.

But then it goes back to the Yankees and Red Sox. Only two teams are making the playoffs, and maybe only one, depending on how the Central plays (the Angels will get in the West, and that's probably it out there).

The problem for the Rays, and the whole reason this discussion was brought up, is the spending that the Yankees and Red Sox will do.

The Yankees are probably going to sign Teixeira, and probably another outfielder, knowing them. A.J. Burnett has an opt-out in Toronto, so don't be too surprised if he's a Yankee. They are going to make a huge push for C.C. Sabathia. And despite bad years, Phillip Hughes and Ian Kennedy will be back in the majors next year, and Joba will potentially start finally. That's a pretty solid rotation when you factor in Wang (Yes, the Yankees have a six-foot Wang).

I bet the Red Sox sign a few guys, and their young pitchers are outstanding. Wakefield and Beckett will still be there. Varitek will be there. They themselves have three young players, Lowrie, Ellsbury and Pedroia who are going to hurt people for years. We talk about the key to a baseball team being up the middle, well that's a SS, 2B, CF, with an already solid C and a pitching staff that might be the best in baseball.

It's just much more scary of a proposition for the Rays than any other team, and its because of the division they are in. No team has less control over their playoff lives than any one of Baltimore, Tampa and Toronto.

Yeah, I hear ya. I agree it is going to be difficult simply because they are playing in perhaps the best (deepest, at the least) division in baseball, but I just don't see them having a huge dropoff in production next year and having a losing record. I'm not sure what Toronto's situation is for next year, but if they are good again, then there will potentially be 4 teams fighting for 1 or 2 playoff spots...it's probably gonna be a battle all year next year in the East.

CoachChaz
10-22-2008, 09:03 AM
The key to the whole thing for me eventually comes down to the bullpen. Madsen, Durbin and Lidge are as good as any...if not better than every 7-8-9th inning bullpens. If Philly has a lead in the 6th, they pretty much win and if it's close...these guys give them a chance to come back.

The other edge I'm going to give Philly is nastiness. They have that added element to their attitude.

BigDaddyBronco
10-22-2008, 09:05 AM
The key to the whole thing for me eventually comes down to the bullpen. Madsen, Durbin and Lidge are as good as any...if not better than every 7-8-9th inning bullpens. If Philly has a lead in the 6th, they pretty much win and if it's close...these guys give them a chance to come back.

The other edge I'm going to give Philly is nastiness. They have that added element to their attitude.
I expect Hammels to be lights out, I think the key for Philly is how Myers pitches.

claymore
10-22-2008, 09:24 AM
I just want it to be known I said at the beginning of the season that the Rays were going to the World series. :D

BigDaddyBronco
10-22-2008, 09:31 AM
I just want it to be known I said at the beginning of the season that the Rays were going to the World series. :D
Are the Lightening going to win the Stanley Cup? :D

claymore
10-22-2008, 09:35 AM

I hope not. The worse they do the better I am off. I have to drive by the St Pete Times forum where they play, every day. If its game night its a freakin mess. :mad:

OB
10-22-2008, 09:49 AM
I was like WTF is clay doing in a baseball thread :lol:

I took the phillys - not that i really care who wins :coffee:

honz
10-22-2008, 12:28 PM
I like both teams, but I will be rooting for the Rays. One of my best friends goes to school in the Philly area and he turned me into a semi Phillies fan, but he can go to hell this week! Really, I just hope it is a good series that goes 6 or 7 games...I will be rooting for the Rays, but I would be happy for the Phillies if they were to win it.

MOtorboat
10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Rays...pitching...bats are hot.

Analysis.

Over.

CoachChaz
10-23-2008, 08:46 AM
One down...3 to go.

honz
10-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Good game last night. Pedro Feliz and his ugly ass beard can go to hell for snagging that rocket that Upton hit with the bases loaded. :coffee:

In-com-plete
10-23-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm pulling for the Phillies. But it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the Devil Rays to win. It's nice to see a small market team in the WS. And yes, I just called them the Devil Rays.

And even though the Phillies took game 1 last night, I think TB will win the series. They seem to have the more complete team.

honz
10-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah! Go Rays! At least we won't have a team like the Rockies laying an egg in the WS this year!:tsk:

Broncolingus
10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Tampa fumbled that game away last night...although it was a great game.

Go Rays!

Medford Bronco
10-26-2008, 06:54 PM

lol the Lightning suck :D:salute::laugh:

honz
10-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Tampa fumbled that game away last night...although it was a great game.

Go Rays!

I still can't believe that ball that Longoria hit stayed in the park...freaking wind.

Broncolingus
10-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Shit,

I think Phillies just wrapped it up tonight and the rest of the series is just a formality...

...truth be told, I was just glad to see a few 'new' teams in the play for a change and I'm good with the Phillies winning.

Great season by the Ray's regardless of the outcome...

CoachChaz
10-27-2008, 09:18 AM

Bump

Madson, Durbin, Romero, Eyre, Lidge combined...

8.2 IP...2 H...1 ER...12 SO...5 holds...1 save

Medford Bronco
10-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Lets Go Phils

:salute:

Broncolingus
10-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Wow...

1st suspended game in WS history...I didn't know that.

Go Rays!

MOtorboat
10-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow...

1st Rain Delay in WS history...I didn't know that.

Go Rays!

First postponement of a live game. Meaning it has to reach the sixth inning and be tied and they continue the game the next night.

Not the first rain-delayed game, heck that happened on Saturday.

Medford Bronco
10-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow...

1st Game Called (Rain Delay) in WS history...I didn't know that.

Go Rays!

the Rain saved them from possibly being eliminated.

but there have been some rainouts before

in 86 game 7 was rained out before Bruce Hurst pitched game 7 for Boston

in 75 game 6 was rained out so Louis Tiant was moved up to stave off elimination in the famous Carlton Fisk game

MOtorboat
10-27-2008, 11:40 PM

in 75 game 6 was rained out so Louis Tiant was moved up to stave off elimination in the famous Carlton Fisk game

The tying run in the sixth saved their chances. It could have been all over with.

Broncolingus
10-27-2008, 11:41 PM

Yeah...I fixed it.

In my stupor, I mis-spoke.

You get a clue yet on the proper team to pull for, wiseguy?

Go Rays!

Medford Bronco
10-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah...I fixed it.

In my stupor, I mis-spoke.

You get a clue yet on the proper team to pull for, wiseguy?

Go Rays!

lol my teams all lost earlier

I just cant stand the gay cowbells in Tampa.

good team but pathetic fans. they needed a gimic to get there this year
I find that kind of sad.

Broncolingus
10-27-2008, 11:47 PM

I find that kind of sad.

Couldn't agree more...

This is the real cowbell, baby!

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/avatarfs/avatar23474_5.gif

MOtorboat
10-27-2008, 11:50 PM

I find that kind of sad.

Nothing like a fan of a socal team calling other fans pathetic.

Oh, the irony...

Medford Bronco
10-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Nothing like a fan of a socal team calling other fans pathetic.

Oh, the irony...

what are you talking about. :confused: I have been a fan of my teams since I was a kid.

I did not need any cowbells to come to a game.

I also am probably a bigger Dodger fan than a lot of the people in LA.

Medford Bronco
10-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Couldn't agree more...

This is the real cowbell, baby!

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/avatarfs/avatar23474_5.gif

this is the real white square picture with an X in the middle :lol:

MOtorboat
10-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I also am probably a bigger Dodger fan than a lot of the people in LA.

Proving my point.

I'm not calling you out.

slim
10-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Bump

Madson, Durbin, Romero, Eyre, Lidge combined...

8.2 IP...2 H...1 ER...12 SO...5 holds...1 save

For a pollack...you sure are smart.

honz
10-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Selig said that even if the game hadn't have been tied they would have just got to a rain delay for as long as necessary...even if the weather didn't clear up for a couple days. He said that he wouldn't allow a WS game to be decided like that.

Medford Bronco
10-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Is Philly going to win the longest rain delayed game in history :lol:

go Phils. no cowbells allowed. :congrats:

Medford Bronco
10-29-2008, 08:59 PM
No more cowbell

congrats Phillies :salute: you deserved it.

Timmy!
10-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Congrats Phillies.

BigDaddyBronco
10-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Congrats Phillies, great performance by your 3rd and 4th starting pitchers.

honz
10-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Congrats to the Phillies. They definitely outplayed the Rays in this series. Well deserved.

Kapaibro
10-30-2008, 03:03 AM
Congrats to the Phillies for the win.

Congrats to the Rays for getting to the WS. Good to see small market teams making it to the WS!

broncosfanscott
10-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Congrats to the Phillies for the win.

Congrats to the Rays for getting to the WS. Good to see small market teams making it to the WS!

I love to see the small market teams succeed in this game.

Congrats to the Phillies. That city has waited a really long time and hopefully nobody was hurt in any riots that took place. That was an exciting 3 innings.

Also, congrats to the Rays. An awesome season after losing 90 games and beating the Yanks and Sox out for the division title. Not a bad run for their first playoff appearence. 9=8

MOtorboat
10-30-2008, 04:07 PM
I love to see the small market teams succeed in this game.

Congrats to the Phillies. That city has waited a really long time and hopefully nobody was hurt in any riots that took place. That was an exciting 3 innings.

I think you were referring to Tampa, and I agree...

Horribly anticlimactic last night, imo, though. Just poorly thought out plan by MLB with the impending weather.

If not for that this series goes down as the crowning of a wonderful young team, and one hell of a pitcher in Cole Hamels. Now, it goes down as "that crazy rain out series. Who won that again?"

Benetto
10-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Seems like Jayson really was Werth something.

I will take my hat off to Jay, just like I did D Hix when he won the title with NYG. Congratulations ******.

Broncolingus
10-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Congrats to the Phillies...was going for the Rays, but happy a 'new' team was in there.

That team has sucked for so long that it was nice to see them win.

How bad does it suck to be a Cubs fan now knowing even the Phillies can come back from being down for so long...