PDA

View Full Version : Atogwe a good fit in Denver?

NightTerror218
02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Just wonder what people are thinking? Rumor has it that Broncos might be pursuing Oshiomogho Atogwe. With the chance of Dawkins not returning and limited DB depth he might be a good fit. He has 6 years experience so not too old. :confused:

UnderArmour
02-25-2011, 07:15 PM
This is one of the deepest safety free agent markets in NFL history and the only safety people can bring up is Atogwe? Really?
Donte Whitner, George Wilson, Eric Weddle, Melvin Bullett, Roman Harper, Danieal Manning, and Michael Huff... And the only safety that you can suggest is Atogwe?
:rolleyes:

NightTerror218
02-25-2011, 07:19 PM
This is one of the deepest safety free agent markets in NFL history and the only safety people can bring up is Atogwe? Really?
Donte Whitner, George Wilson, Eric Weddle, Melvin Bullett, Roman Harper, Danieal Manning, and Michael Huff... And the only safety that you can suggest is Atogwe?

He is the only safety that has so far had ties completely cut from his former team. And I read that Fox maybe pursuing him.

Ravage!!!
02-25-2011, 07:23 PM

As of right now, none of the ones you mentioned are available to pursue. What would you like us to do, fill our roster with hopes and dreams from lists of personnel, or make attempts at players that are actually available?

UnderArmour
02-25-2011, 07:26 PM
As of right now, none of the ones you mentioned are available to pursue. What would you like us to do, fill our roster with hopes and dreams from lists of personnel, or make attempts at players that are actually available?
Why would we sign a player before we know what the cap will be in one of the deepest free agent classes? It's stupid to pursue free agents until the new CBA is signed. Champ was an exception because he was willing to take below market value and he is a franchise player for us. A CBA will be signed eventually and when it is, we'll be able to get a better player than Atogwe for cheaper than the contract Atogwe is looking for.

dogfish
02-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Why would we sign a player before we know what the cap will be in one of the deepest free agent classes? It's stupid to pursue free agents until the new CBA is signed. Champ was an exception because he was willing to take below market value and he is a franchise player for us. A CBA will be signed eventually and when it is, we'll be able to get a better player than Atogwe for cheaper than the contract Atogwe is looking for.

on the flipside, players who want the security of a deal in hand before the lockout may sign cheaper than they would under normal circumstances-- it's been speculated that champ did. . .

more so, it's an opportunity to potentially acquire a useful player at a time when money's not flowing and no bidding war is likely to develop. . .

and with no real free agency period before the draft, filling a need with a solid vet now relieves the pressure to draft for that position, giving us more flexibility to use a "best player available" approach. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
02-25-2011, 07:44 PM
on the flipside, players who want the security of a deal in hand before the lockout may sign cheaper than they would under normal circumstances-- it's been speculated that champ did. . .

more so, it's an opportunity to potentially acquire a useful player at a time when money's not flowing and no bidding war is likely to develop. . .

and with no real free agency period before the draft, filling a need with a solid vet now relieves the pressure to draft for that position, giving us more flexibility to use a "best player available" approach. . .

And by "best player available" you mean an D-lineman, obviously... :D :beer:

PAINTERDAVE
02-25-2011, 07:52 PM

I hope it is a d-lineman.. but Fox is recently on record saying the BPA period.

It does make sense to snag a vet cheap, now before the draft.....
that would help to make the draft more focused.

Dang this crappy CBA deal... this is the worst possible year for it to have happened for us.

New coach, new schemes and jargon, new players, lots of turnover... crap players to trade away...

and we can't do a damn thing until the millionaires play nice together.

NightTerror218
02-25-2011, 07:52 PM

The only D-Lineman I like who is free (actually available) is Cullen Jenkins right now. I am not so impressed with Rodgers.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-25-2011, 08:21 PM
The only D-Lineman I like who is free (actually available) is Cullen Jenkins right now. I am not so impressed with Rodgers.

I was referring to the draft. The thought of the Broncos drafting Patrick Peterson at #2 overall makes me break out in hives. We need to focus on the D-line. Fairely, Dareus, Bowers, or Quinn whoever Fox thinks is the best - that's who I want!

SpringsBroncoFan
02-25-2011, 08:24 PM

I thought I read somewhere that this was going to be an uncapped year to make up for that...

Am I wrong? Could be.... though I haven't been smoking anything... :lol:

Timmy!
02-25-2011, 09:58 PM

^this

Otogwe is a soild player, and an instant upgrade. The Broncos are super thin at safety. He could start for at 2-3 years. Plus if he wants to sign before the looming CBA apocalypse for cheap, it's a great move.

Ziggy
02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
The Broncos have a chance to sign a talented safety in his prime and fill a need. The guy is a ball hawk, and has at least 3 good years left barring injury. He's a vet, and won't break the bank. I don't see a problem with it.

broncofaninfla
02-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Sign Atogwe and cut Dawkins, HUGE upgrade in one move for most likely, comparable money. Don't break the bank, but if he'll sign for what B Dawk plays for now then this would be a good move for Denver.

threefolddead
02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
I vote we get Weddle because its my last name and I've had to hear about it from the Charger fans in my family for too long. How sweet redemption would be. Also I think that I'm sick and tired of watching a crappy D line get dominated by anyone and everyone. If we continue to put no pressure on the opposing QBs then it won't matter how good our secondary is they are going to find someone open eventually. Lets get mean up front!

nevcraw
02-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Based on that list -- atogwe ranks at or close to the top.

as it was mentioned on espn.com fox likes him because he causes turnovers.

TXBRONC
02-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Based on that list -- atogwe ranks at or close to the top.

as it was mentioned on espn.com fox likes him because he causes turnovers.

That art of getting turnovers has been sorely missing from Denver for quite some time. Hopefully Fox can help in getting that turned around.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2011, 12:08 PM
If a bidding war is avoided and we don't have to overpay due simply to competition for his services, I'm all for it. No more than fair market value, however.

SOCALORADO.
02-28-2011, 09:58 AM
That art of getting turnovers has been sorely missing from Denver for quite some time. Hopefully Fox can help in getting that turned around.

"The art of getting turnovers" is solely based on a pass rush, pressure, hurries, knock downs and sacks on the QB.
THAT! is what is missing in DEN.
DEN gets a NFL calibur D-line, and the INTs will come.
If Troy Palomalu, Ronnie Lott (in his prime) Deon Sanders (in his prime) and Champ all were in DENs secondary, DEN would STILL suck.
If the opposing QB has all day to write chpt 13 to his autobiography after the snap, while sipping on gatorade, he will eventually find an open reciever. Even the best can only cover a player for so long. I get it, a team needs talented secondary players. I know. But the D-line is the GLARING issue in DEN.
And yes, i think Otogwe would be a great sigining. I've wanted DEN to get him for 2 years now, but he has been screwed with in STL, getting franchised, and all the other drama with his contract(s).

Lonestar
02-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Hard to quote in the mobile mode.

Great post socal.

As you said we have sucked on turn overs for a long time simply because we allow the QB to complete at a very high percentage.

If you go back to the AFCCG Ben had all day and just may have set a 3rd down completion % record because we could not pressure him.

On the other side of the LOS Jake has Zero chance because of said pressure.

Not sure why so few fans get this.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
02-28-2011, 11:22 AM
"The art of getting turnovers" is solely based on a pass rush, pressure, hurries, knock downs and sacks on the QB.
If Troy Palomalu, Ronnie Lott (in his prime) Deon Sanders (in his prime) and Champ all were in DENs secondary, DEN would STILL suck.
If the opposing QB has all day to write chpt 13 to his autobiography after the snap, while sipping on gatorade, he will eventually find an open reciever. Even the best can only cover a player for so long. I get it, a team needs talented secondary players. I know. But the D-line is the GLARING issue in DEN.
And yes, i think Otogwe would be a great sigining. I've wanted DEN to get him for 2 years now, but he has been screwed with in STL, getting franchised, and all the other drama with his contract(s).

Pass rush, pressures, knock downs, hurries, and sacks are the major portion of turnovers, there is also the art of stripping the ball which doesn't always come from those things.

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 11:56 AM

Not arguing with you here, but it seems like there is a growing perspective that nearly ALL turnovers on defense come from pressure on the QB.

Although that is the major factor in getting turnovers, a lot of turnovers also come from 'coverage sacks'. The QB has no where to go, hangs on to it too long, and gets hit forcing a fumble or throws into coverage he has no business throwing into creating an opportunity for an INT. This type of turnover happens all the time especially for 'Gunslinger' type QB's who take a lot of chances like Cassell and Rivers.

Getting a guy like Atogwe could be a big step in making that QB hesitate just a fraction of a second longer before making a decision. Hopefully that fraction of a second helps our new, young Pass Rushers get more opportunities to swat/sack them some QB.

And of course, vice versa. Point: I think Atogwe (at the right price) could be a great piece of the puzzle.

Lonestar
02-28-2011, 01:05 PM
There has to be a balance of coverage which for the most part we have had since champ has been on town.
And pass rush. Even champ can't stay with his guy indefenately.

A good or great wr which champ normally gets can get open if given enough time

The DL has been forgotten for almost ever in DEN. At least on draft day.

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Not arguing with you here, but it seems like there is a growing perspective that nearly ALL turnovers on defense come from pressure on the QB.

Although that is the major factor in getting turnovers, a lot of turnovers also come from 'coverage sacks'. The QB has no where to go, hangs on to it too long, and gets hit forcing a fumble or throws into coverage he has no business throwing into creating an opportunity for an INT. This type of turnover happens all the time especially for 'Gunslinger' type QB's who take a lot of chances like Cassell and Rivers.

Getting a guy like Atogwe could be a big step in making that QB hesitate just a fraction of a second longer before making a decision. Hopefully that fraction of a second helps our new, young Pass Rushers get more opportunities to swat/sack them some QB.

And of course, vice versa. Point: I think Atogwe (at the right price) could be a great piece of the puzzle.

Dennis Allen is big into DBs that can create turnovers. This could be a great fit, if the price is right.

rcsodak
02-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Sign Atogwe and cut Dawkins, HUGE upgrade in one move for most likely, comparable money. Don't break the bank, but if he'll sign for what B Dawk plays for now then this would be a good move for Denver.
Why cut Dawk? Leave him in for run support, Atogwe as FS.

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 01:24 PM

I dunno about cutting Dawkins, I believe this is the last year of his contract. And with as many young guns as we got for DBs we is a great mentor and Dawkins has a fire in him that nobody can put out and is good to see. I would love for him to come back as a coach when he retires.

SOCALORADO.
02-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Agreed. I was being a bit sarcastic with my hypo. But i was trying to get the point across that the D-line is the mojor area of concern, and it plays heavily into the secondary's success.
And i agree, Atogwe would be great in DEN.

TXBRONC
02-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Agreed. I was being a bit sarcastic with my hypo. But i was trying to get the point across that the D-line is the mojor area of concern, and it plays heavily into the secondary's success.

You sarcastic? :shocked:

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 02:21 PM

FO SHO. I think Atogwe (or any big safety upgrade) would make a huge difference. Although Lynch and Dawkins have been good in certain areas, we haven't had a great cover safety in a very long time.

I agree that DL is by far our greatest need, and a great cover safety (or two) would help address that need in a round about way.

SOCALORADO.
02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
FO SHO. I think Atogwe (or any big safety upgrade) would make a huge difference. Although Lynch and Dawkins have been good in certain areas, we haven't had a great cover safety in a very long time.

I agree that DL is by far our greatest need, and a great cover safety (or two) would help address that need in a round about way.

And wouldnt it be nice to have a guy who is clearly a Pro Bowl calibur FS, that could lead along with Champ in the secondary and make QBs hesitiate a bit? Also,
McBath played CB at TexTech. Possibly having Mcbath play the slot reciever in the Nickel or in the Big Nickel could really help DEN at times as well.
I am sure McBath is talented enough to play TEs.

BigSarge87
02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Not too impressed with him so far. I'm sure safety is much more mentally demanding than DL positions, so we need to give him some time, but I'm tapping my watch on this guy. Hopefully Allen can help McBath reach the potential everyone says he has. It's completely possible the new scheme will just click with him and he'll start producing. Crossing fingers.

NightTerror218
02-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Not too impressed with him so far. I'm sure safety is much more mentally demanding than DL positions, so we need to give him some time, but I'm tapping my watch on this guy. Hopefully Allen can help McBath reach the potential everyone says he has. It's completely possible the new scheme will just click with him and he'll start producing. Crossing fingers.

he is still young and had injury issues and he has been behind several vets.

dogfish
02-28-2011, 09:00 PM
i think mcbath's definitely flashed talent when he's been on the field-- unfortunately, that's amounted to very little time so far. . . seems like he's been banged up with one thing or another most of the two years he's been here. . .

you hope he can fight through it and start contributing, but i can't help being pessimistic-- kinda seems like he might just be one of those guys. . .

this will be a pivotal year for him under a new coach and front office-- former second rounder or not, given his history i doubt he gets a ton of rope. . . i'm guessing he needs to get on the field and show something this year if he doesn't want to be fighting an uphill battle for his job in camp next season. . .

i also doubt that we'll be willing to keep an open roster spot for him all year and not get anything out of it. . . if he gets hurt early to mid-season, i wouldn't be surprised to see him put on IR even if it's something that isn't season-ending. . . we'll see who else we get, but i can't imagine fox and allen will want to spend a roster spot for a guy that plays part of seven games. . .

NightTerror218
03-03-2011, 01:45 PM
If Atogwe is going to sign for cheap today would be the last day to do it, before a potential lock out.

rcsodak
03-03-2011, 05:38 PM
5/$26M redskins

SOCALORADO.
03-03-2011, 06:04 PM
T/$26M redskins

Huh. So much for the monster that was Patrick Pet...i mean LaRon Landry.