PDA

View Full Version : Champ on Jim Rome

Buff
02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Champ was just on the Jim Rome show.

The most interesting thing that came out of the interview in my opinion was that he felt like Josh McDaniels was the one "pulling the strings" when his contract offer got pulled off the table last fall. Most reports have said that was a Pat Bowlen decision - but Champ felt like it was a McD decision.

He also said he was a little surprised at Fox naming Orton starter given how last year ended, but that he thinks its a good problem to have two QBs who can start.

He touched on the work-stoppage a little as well basically saying that the owners are not backing up their claims and that the season is in jeopardy.

dogfish
02-25-2011, 03:41 PM
he didn't by any chance punch rome in his smug face, did he?

because that would have been ****ing awesome. . .

Edmonton Bronco Fan
02-25-2011, 03:53 PM

Exactly my thoughts as well. :beer:

Ravage!!!
02-25-2011, 04:19 PM
I think everyone knew it was a Josh McDaniels doing for pulling the contract. I think the only people that thought it was a Bowlen move, was those doing their best to defend McD at every turn.

Buff
02-25-2011, 04:26 PM
I think everyone knew it was a Josh McDaniels doing for pulling the contract. I think the only people that thought it was a Bowlen move, was those doing their best to defend McD at every turn.

I think most members of the media were reporting that Bowlen was tightening his purse strings because of the coming labor dispute. Even Krieger said something to that effect, and he hated McDaniels.

So I think the misinformation went beyond just McDaniels apologists.

TXBRONC
02-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Champ was just on the Jim Rome show.

The most interesting thing that came out of the interview in my opinion was that he felt like Josh McDaniels was the one "pulling the strings" when his contract offer got pulled off the table last fall. Most reports have said that was a Pat Bowlen decision - but Champ felt like it was a McD decision.

He also said he was a little surprised at Fox naming Orton starter given how last year ended, but that he thinks its a good problem to have two QBs who can start.

He touched on the work-stoppage a little as well basically saying that the owners are not backing up their claims and that the season is in jeopardy.

I thought it was Ellis that was taking the heat for it pulling the contract offer off the table not that it matters? At any rate I think the higher ups for what ever reason said decided to take the heat for rather than letting McDaniels get burn by the media again.

TXBRONC
02-25-2011, 04:32 PM
I think most members of the media were reporting that Bowlen was tightening his purse strings because of the coming labor dispute. Even Krieger said something to that effect, and he hated McDaniels.

So I think the misinformation went beyond just McDaniels apologists.

But when McDaniels was shit canned Paige reported thatit was actually McDaniels pulling the strings.

silkamilkamonico
02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm still sure it was Bowlen/Ellis/Zanders and management that pulled Bailey's offer and not McDaniels.

The good news is we have purged the incompetent coach of Josh McDaniels.

The bad news is we have retained the incompetent management in Zanders and Ellis.

The team better start winning again next year, or that management is going to have even more unanswered questions.

GEM
02-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Really loud, obnoxious, turn your radio down EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh.....how anyone listens to that long term is beyond me. He has some great guests and when he isn't tooting his own horn or that God awful sound, he's alright. :lol:

Buff
02-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Dan Patrick > Jim Rome > Scott Van Pelt > Mike & Mike > Colin Cowherd

GEM
02-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Dan Patrick > Jim Rome > Scott Van Pelt > Mike & Mike > Colin Cowherd

I'd rather just listen to the Denver guys. I don't want to hear them slobbering over other cities players. :lol:

The only Denver guy I can't stand with a passion is Sandy Clough. He is pretty intelligent and knows what he's talking about but his habit of getting louder to talk over people and just being rude rubs me the wrong way.

SpringsBroncoFan
02-25-2011, 06:27 PM

I can't stand that guy either.... used to work with a guy that was a dead ringer for him, nobody at work could stand him either... :lol:

Ah memories... I really got him good at work!!!

A few hundred people got a good laugh... that's what I always think of when I see Rome... :beer:

Buff
02-25-2011, 06:37 PM
I'd rather just listen to the Denver guys. I don't want to hear them slobbering over other cities players. :lol:

The only Denver guy I can't stand with a passion is Sandy Clough. He is pretty intelligent and knows what he's talking about but his habit of getting louder to talk over people and just being rude rubs me the wrong way.

Cloughy is an acquired taste. Sometimes I like listening to him yell at callers, sometimes I think he makes himself sound like an idiot (like his takes on the Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler situations for example.)

I like him better than Big Al, who is an idiot when it comes to anything that doesn't pertain to football. Scott Hastings sounds like he is drunk all of the time. I like D-Mac, Stink and Mike Evans.

dogfish
02-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Dan Patrick > Jim Rome > Scott Van Pelt > Mike & Mike > Colin Cowherd > everyone else > Kiszla

finished that for ya. . .

BroncoStud
02-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Jim Rome used to be a lot better before he started doing endorsements and sold out to the mainstream.

Buff
02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
finished that for ya. . .

Kiszla is actually slightly more tolerable on radio than in print, if you can believe that...

But, yeah, he and Burger Bill Williamson are the biggest hacks in the sports journalism game. Also, Jim Armstrong is the laziest.

BeefStew25
02-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Herd thinks Elway is the greatest QB ever. I can't hate him.

BroncoJoe
02-26-2011, 12:15 PM

I personally don't believe this. Think about it: The contract was pulled (IIRC) shortly before canning McDaniels. I think the FO and Bowlen knew Elway was coming in to be the EVPFO, and they'd have a new head coach. I believe they wanted to make sure both were on board with keeping him before locking him up for another four years.

claymore
02-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I personally don't believe this. Think about it: The contract was pulled (IIRC) shortly before canning McDaniels. I think the FO and Bowlen knew Elway was coming in to be the EVPFO, and they'd have a new head coach. I believe they wanted to make sure both were on board with keeping him before locking him up for another four years.

Exactly what I think as well. Nothing Mcd touched was working. Why invest millions more in his ideas. Let the new guy decide.

I think Bowlen pulling the deal was the first major sign that McD was done.