PDA

View Full Version : Elway settles into role as Broncos' draft evaluator

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2011, 01:30 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — There are many ways to evaluate a player and John Elway is becoming acquainted with all of them.

There were 15-minute interview sessions with eight to 10 draft-eligible prospects Thursday night. There are height, weights, 40 times, bench presses. There is film, the No. 1 scouting tool, at all hours of any day.

And there is an evaluation perspective Elway brings to the Broncos that general managers like Brian Xanders, coaches like John Fox and scouts from Southeast to Pacific Northwest can match.

"I look at a lot of guys probably a little bit different," Elway said Friday morning during an informal press gathering at the Westin hotel. "I look at it as if I were playing against them.

"I know what I liked to play against and I know what I didn't like."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17481910

dogfish
02-25-2011, 02:11 PM
okay, duke, here's the deal-- go out and get us a bunch of guys that play like you did, and everything should be great. . .

rcsodak
02-25-2011, 03:07 PM
okay, duke, here's the deal-- go out and get us a bunch of guys that played like you did, and everything should be great. . .

You sure? I remember the headlines" Which way Elway".
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2011, 01:16 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — There have been times, as John Elway has roamed through the hallways in pursuit of a word or two with some of the top prospects in this draft, or as the video has rolled across the screen in front of him, when he has taken a moment and thought of his father, Jack.

"Actually, we were talking about this last night," Elway said Friday. "It's 10 years this April that he passed away. So the last time I spent with him was in the draft of 2001."

Ten years since Jack Elway died, at 69. The elder Elway was a longtime head coach as well as the Broncos' former scouting director, He also was the driving influence, safety net and confidant behind John Elway.

And in the last month of his father's life, John Elway sat side by side with Jack Elway to watch video and prepare reports before the 2001 draft.

As Elway prepares for his first draft as the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, after a Hall of Fame playing career, something occurs to him as he tries to return the franchise he led to two Super Bowl wins to its past glory.

"I've said this before, (but) I was talking to Cornell Green last night and said, 'He'd love this right now,' " John Elway said. "He would have been my first hire if he was still here."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17484523

For those who felt John had no experience to be in Broncos' management, this is just another example of where he has been there - done that previously.

Krugan
02-26-2011, 01:25 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17484523

For those who felt John had no experience to be in Broncos' management, this is just another example of where he has been there - done that previously.

Just to be a stick in the mud, sitting in, doesnt really include doing the job.

But im all for John to do well, he has in most of his other attempts, lets hope this one goes better then them all.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Just to be a stick in the mud, sitting in, doesnt really include doing the job.

But im all for John to do well, he has in most of his other attempts, lets hope this one goes better then them all.

No comment

Krugan
02-26-2011, 01:36 PM
No comment

fair enough

although im sure with all the negative that seems to float around, this was also taken out of context and really not thought about

Dzone
02-26-2011, 02:17 PM
"Those type things stick in my mind, different guys he kept talking about. I'd ask him, 'What'd you see?' ... The competitiveness, that's what I remember him saying ... that's what you're searching for, players who believe football is important to them, who compete, who fight through tough times. Beyond talent, height, weight and speed, that's what it takes."

Awesome! Then he should be a huge Tebow fan!!!!

bcbronc
02-26-2011, 03:05 PM
"Those type things stick in my mind, different guys he kept talking about. I'd ask him, 'What'd you see?' ... The competitiveness, that's what I remember him saying ... that's what you're searching for, players who believe football is important to them, who compete, who fight through tough times. Beyond talent, height, weight and speed, that's what it takes."

because that's the only thing that matters, right?

:rolleyes:

elsid13
02-26-2011, 03:13 PM
because that's the only thing that matters, right?

:rolleyes:

It appears that Broncos weren't anything until someone from Jacksonville arrived.

Lonestar
02-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Good post I was thinking much the SAME thing when I read the article on line.

Now it is time for the negative nannies to chime in.

Krugan
02-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Good post I was thinking much the SAME thing when I read the article on line.

Now it is time for the negative nannies to chime in.

Heya Pot...

dogfish
02-26-2011, 06:17 PM
No comment

wow, look at carol throwin' elbows up in here. . .

:eek:

bcbronc
02-26-2011, 08:39 PM
It appears that Broncos weren't anything until someone from Jacksonville arrived.

huh? ya, with Tebow on the roster we had our worst season ever.

obviously not putting that on Tebow, but how the **** do you figure we weren't anything before, but are now? worst Tebow comment yet, congrats. :beer:

Lonestar
02-26-2011, 09:26 PM
huh? ya, with Tebow on the roster we had our worst season ever.

obviously not putting that on Tebow, but how the **** do you figure we weren't anything before, but are now? worst Tebow comment yet, congrats. :beer:

he was being a negative nancy with lots of sarcasm..

bcbronc
02-27-2011, 12:07 AM
he was being a negative nancy with lots of sarcasm..

oh. well. I'm down with that then.