PDA

View Full Version : To fix the run game... see this thread.

MHCBill
09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Please Mr. Shanahan... read the sig.

You need size on the dline. Elvis ain't getting to the QB anyway... Moss didn't suit up for two games and was ineffective the other two.

Let the big boys play on the dline to help control the line of scrimmage on 1st and 2nd down. Then on third and long (hopefully) sub in Elivs, Moss, Ekuban, whomever to rush the passer. Their situational guys, not everydown DE's.

Attack the QB with a variety of blitz packages and something different, called creativity. Aggressive defense I thought was the mantra from Bates. I haven't seen more than 2 or 3 blitzes per game. Attack, attack, attack. Anyone know if Jim Johnson from Philadelphia has any assistants for the picking? God, I love the way they play defense and attack the QB. Sure, you get burned from time to time, but hell we're getting burned and we don't even get the occassional QB pressure. Let's start attacking the QB and take some freakin' chances.

Until we change the dline on 1st and 2nd down to hopefully produce longer 3rd downs it really won't matter. Take out the under-sized DE's and put in some SIZE. Then let the smurfs attack the QB with some of their linebacker and secondary friends.

Drill-N-Fill
09-29-2008, 08:11 PM
The 3-4 we run is a joke. They have 3 D-linemen and 1 lb on the line, and 3 LB's 5 yards away from the line...I wonder which LB will blitz :confused:

When we play 3-4 we need to play like the Ravens and Eagles. All 7 looking as if they are blitzing. Bump the WR's hard on the line, have one saftey help with the deep routes.

We need defensive talent, but our game plan going into games is just as lacking.

MHCBill
09-29-2008, 08:28 PM
That's true... this "scheme" has no creativity and certainly doesn't try to confuse anyone. My 11 year old wondered out loud why Denver's players were 8 yards off the line of scrimmage. I said, "because they're trying to gel".

slim
09-29-2008, 08:34 PM
The 3-4 we run is a joke. They have 3 D-linemen and 1 lb on the line, and 3 LB's 5 yards away from the line...I wonder which LB will blitz :confused:

When we play 3-4 we need to play like the Ravens and Eagles. All 7 looking as if they are blitzing. Bump the WR's hard on the line, have one saftey help with the deep routes.

We need defensive talent, but our game plan going into games is just as lacking.

The whole thing is big monkey ****...

It makes no sense at all. We spent the last fifteen years trying to acquire players that can play a 4-3 and now we try to implement the 3-4 at the drop of a hat....freaking ridiculous.

Why even bother trading for Robertson or moving DJ back to WIL.

Makes me want to puke.

shank
09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
The whole thing is big monkey ****...

It makes no sense at all. We spent the last fifteen years trying to acquire players that can play a 4-3 and now we try to implement the 3-4 at the drop of a hat....freaking ridiculous.

Why even bother trading for Robertson or moving DJ back to WIL.

Makes me want to puke.

100% agreement. why waste our time running a scheme we have no chance of running well instead of working to fix our 4-3? waste of time and effort, and is only making our defense worse on the field.

let the players do what they do well, and hope for the best IMO. let champ play off the ball and make his reads. try and let bly play man to man and take his guy out of the play. try to put our safeties in a position where they can either support the run, or they can not fail in the passing game. Our linebackers are doing ok, they seem to have less issues than our other positions. as far as the Dline, i like Bill's suggestion. get some weight on the line on 1st and 2nd, and let our guys pin their ears back and go on 3rd downs.

the 3-4 is a waste of time and a failure even as an experiment. plus, i thought this scheme was simplified, and the players said they all knew what their responsibilities were... it doesn't look like it at all.