PDA

View Full Version : TSN: Team Report

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Here's the latest from the Sporting News folks.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=276791

Broncos Team Report

Posted: September 23, 2007
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

It has become a broken record around Denver, but once again the team is struggling to produce four-man pressure with its defensive line. Elvis Dumervil has been the most consistent player getting to the quarterback. Simeon Rice so far has contributed little and doesn't seem to have the same quick burst off the snap he has had historically. He may be paying for missing all of training camp while rehabilitating his shoulder.

Against Jacksonville, the problem of not generating heat was exacerbated by an inability to contain the rush lanes, too, letting David Garrard run effectively out of the pocket. The issue better clear up quick with Indianapolis next on the docket. ...

The run defense has been porous this season. First, it was a bevy of missed tackles in Buffalo. Gap-control issues hurt against Oakland. And against Jacksonville, there was a combination of both problems. Teams aren't even testing Denver's secondary because they can simply run it down the Broncos' throats. And a rotation system to keep players fresh hasn't helped. Expect more technique work in practices to try and curtail the damage.

SCOUTING REPORT

Brandon Marshall is quickly turning his huge physical gifts into production. Marshall has shown an uncanny ability to "hand-catch" passes away from his body, even on Jay Cutler's hardest throws. He has an innate feel on the sideline and can go up and make the tough red-zone catches on corner routes.

But what has allowed Marshall to make the leap into perhaps a future star is his ability to bust tackles with his 6-4, 230-pound frame. He has a crafty spin move after the catch he'll often use. He also will stiff-arm smaller defensive backs to create separation.

The knock on Marshall has been whether he could demonstrate the maturity to become an integral part of the offense. That has yet to be an issue after irking Mike Shanahan in training camp with a lingering quadriceps strain. And he isn't missing assignments, an issue early last season.

SEE A DIFFERENT GAME

One of the ways Dumvervil has been able to succeed despite a lack of height is his long arms and ability to gain leverage under taller tackles by extending them. But hand play is just as important, and this year he incorporated some taekwondo techniques he learned from his father, who was a black belt.

The Broncos followed suit in training camp, inviting a martial-arts school instructor to apply those principles to pass-rushing technique. In one drill, each lineman stands in front of a partner, and the two go back and forth trying to get their hands on each other (or keep them off). Dumervil at times works after practice on those facets.

gobroncsnv
09-24-2007, 11:44 PM
So Elvis is using the Wax on, Wax off approach...

They could have gone on to write some about BMarsh doing some good blocking, but we know around here he already does. The kid is not GONNA be good, he IS good.

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
So Elvis is using the Wax on, Wax off approach...

They could have gone on to write some about BMarsh doing some good blocking, but we know around here he already does. The kid is not GONNA be good, he IS good.

All I know is I have always liked what I've seen out of Marshall and that he has the tools to be very special.

Mike
09-25-2007, 11:45 AM
All I know is I have always liked what I've seen out of Marshall and that he has the tools to be very special.

I picked up Marshall in the 7th round of my FF draft. People were calling me a homer. But he has gotten me more points than any of my WRs. In fact, I will have to check, but he might have more points than my QB...Drew Brees.:mad:

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 11:48 AM
I picked up Marshall in the 7th round of my FF draft. People were calling me a homer. But he has gotten me more points than any of my WRs. In fact, I will have to check, but he might have more points than my QB...Drew Brees.:mad:

Tell about it you had Brees whom I've never been impressed with and I have MaCallister and now I have to find another workhorse. I might not win another FF game the rest of the year the way things are going.:eek: