PDA

View Full Version : calling all gm's/hc's...

rcsodak
02-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Heard the league has asked all gm's AND hc's to a meeting in Indy.
Some are calling this promising...others, not-so-much.

Is this to tell them they've got an agreement in the works?

Is this to tell them the sides are so far apart that a deal is unlikely, giving them a list of what they CAN/CANNOT do under the rules?

Whatsayyou
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

silkamilkamonico
02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Doom.

I would bet money on no football in 2011.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
The NFL has called a special meeting Thursday, on the first day of the combine in Indianapolis, for all NFL general managers and head coaches.

Three members per team are being told to attend -- general manager, coach and another high-ranking team official, league sources said.

At the meeting, the NFL is expected to brief teams on any number of issues pertaining to labor uncertainty and football operations, including what to expect in the days leading up to the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement, the manner of league business that will be allowed this offseason, and the type of contact that teams will be permitted to have with agents.

The meeting is expected to be held at 5:30 p.m. ET Thursday.

The NFL confirmed the meeting was taking place in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Wednesday.

"It's a normal part of the combine, which is always filled with meetings galore," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wrote. "There was such a meeting last year. It's not the first time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6149970

BigSarge87
02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Doom.

I would bet money on no football in 2011.

Really? How much we talkin? I might be down...

Oh wait, I'm a Mormon. Nevermind.

underrated29
02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Sadly, i would have to agree, that this means sides are too far apart and that there will either be a shortened season, filled with replacements or what not, or bunker down and because they are going to have to sweat out the PA.

not good imo.

silkamilkamonico
02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Really? How much we talkin? I might be down...

Oh wait, I'm a Mormon. Nevermind.

Not too much money. I'm just sure, not positive. In a matter of exaggeration, the 2 sides are said to be so far apart right now that it could take years to work out.

rcsodak
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6149970

It's a normal part of the combine, which is always filled with meetings galore," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wrote. "There was such a meeting last year. It's not the first time."

Really? Guys on Sirius NFL were saying this was closer to the " unprecedented" end of the spectrum.

underrated29
02-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Not too much money. I'm just sure, not positive. In a matter of exaggeration, the 2 sides are said to be so far apart right now that it could take years to work out.

Thats what they said about hockey, and then 3 days before the lockout, they made significant progress. Not enough to get a deal done though, after a season of hockey went by that no one played, a deal got done.

Not saying this is the case, but I think Hockey was a lot further apart then the NFL is.

silkamilkamonico
02-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Thats what they said about hockey, and then 3 days before the lockout, they made significant progress. Not enough to get a deal done though, after a season of hockey went by that no one played, a deal got done.

Not saying this is the case, but I think Hockey was a lot further apart then the NFL is.

Hockey wasn't dealing with a matter of $1 billion dollars. The money arguments in hockey weren't anything near what they are in this situation, simply because the NFL generates significantly more money then the NHL, and it isn't even closely comparable (the amount of money being in question).

UnderArmour
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
My best bet is that they will not lock out the players but rather attempt to force them to strike by operating under the "last, best deal" proposed by the owners. or run a league year with no CBA. Locking out the players is pure PR suicide by the owners. Fans may call the player's greedy, but by comparison the owners would look like Scrooge himself by locking out the players and stopping play for the year.

Of course, stranger things have happened. We could just have a deal signed flat out by March 3rd if this arbitrator guy is all he's cracked up to be.

The Glue Factory
02-23-2011, 02:38 PM
My best bet is that they will not lock out the players but rather attempt to force them to strike by operating under the "last, best deal" proposed by the owners. or run a league year with no CBA. Locking out the players is pure PR suicide by the owners. Fans may call the player's greedy, but by comparison the owners would look like Scrooge himself by locking out the players and stopping play for the year.

Of course, stranger things have happened. We could just have a deal signed flat out by March 3rd if this arbitrator guy is all he's cracked up to be.

When Upshaw died I was worried we'd have something like this occur. Wish he had groomed someone to take over for him.

BigSarge87
02-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Not giving up hope.

Fall is my favorite time of year. If there is no football, I might as well volunteer for a deployment. :)

bcbronc
02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Hockey wasn't dealing with a matter of $1 billion dollars. The money arguments in hockey weren't anything near what they are in this situation, simply because the NFL generates significantly more money then the NHL, and it isn't even closely comparable (the amount of money being in question).

but hockey was trying to install a salary cap, which isnt the case here. just like when the NFL had their lock out, it was about getting a cap in place. this cba is just about splitting the pie. I'm 85% certain there will be a season.

Montana Battlin Bear
02-23-2011, 04:22 PM
One indication: The union sent a memo Tuesday to let player agents know that their meeting that was scheduled for Thursday in Indianapolis has been postponed to Friday because of the mediation.---Adam Schefter

That sounds pretty positive to me. If it wasn't why would they even go to the last day of mediation and postpone the meeting if they were too far apart???

silkamilkamonico
02-23-2011, 04:27 PM
but hockey was trying to install a salary cap, which isnt the case here. just like when the NFL had their lock out, it was about getting a cap in place. this cba is just about splitting the pie. I'm 85% certain there will be a season.

I don't think there will be. I would say 85% chance there will be no season.

zbeg
02-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't think there will be. I would say 85% chance there will be no season.

So you'd give 5 to 1 odds on having a season? I'm down for $50. If it's 85%, you're coming out ahead (actual odds would be 5.67 to 1).

And I absolutely am good on my word - I made a $100 bet with a Red Wings fan a while ago that was documented on USENET; I lost and paid some random guy in Michigan. I can do some google searches and find the USENET thread if you're not convinced.

At 85%, that's a pretty good deal.

rcsodak
02-23-2011, 04:45 PM
So you'd give 5 to 1 odds on having a season? I'm down for $50. If it's 85%, you're coming out ahead (actual odds would be 5.67 to 1).

And I absolutely am good on my word - I made a $100 bet with a Red Wings fan a while ago that was documented on USENET; I lost and paid some random guy in Michigan. I can do some google searches and find the USENET thread if you're not convinced.

At 85%, that's a pretty good deal.

Don't believe wagering is allowed here.....

rcsodak
02-23-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't think there will be. I would say 85% chance there will be no season.So you're saying there's a chance!!

bcbronc
02-23-2011, 04:49 PM
So you're saying there's a chance!!

wow, rc, you bombed that one.

:coffee:

rcsodak
02-23-2011, 05:31 PM
wow, rc, you bombed that one.

:coffee:
C'mon, bc. Didn't you see Dumb n Dumber?

Lonestar
02-23-2011, 09:48 PM

it will take a couple of game day checks being missed when the banks come talking about taking these morons homes back J/K.

But after they miss 1/8 of their annual income they will be back hat in hand to play. other than a few of these guys NO ONE has any outside income from endorsements. I'll bet that very few if any stoked any money away for waiting out a strike/lockout. they will be back after game 2.

He is a mediator someone that helps to make deal. The arbitrator tells you what it will be after hearing both sides.

Timmy!
02-24-2011, 07:58 AM
I will personally cause the end of the world, screw the 2012 crap, if there is no football in fall 2011.

:D