PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Nets trade for Deron Williams

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Trying to rebound from the disappointment of their failed pursuit of Carmelo Anthony, the New Jersey Nets have agreed to a blockbuster trade with the Utah Jazz for Deron Williams, sources said on Wednesday.

The Nets will send Derrick Favors and Devin Harris to Utah for the All-Star point guard.

he deal, scheduled for completion later Wednesday after a trade call with the league office, would also involve the Golden State Warriors and bring multiple draft picks to Utah.

Williams took some heat this month for the retirement of Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. The two had disagreed during halftime of a home loss to the Bulls on Feb. 9. Sloan retired the next day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6150419

GEM
02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
:rolleyes: Melo screws Denver again. I'd have rather had the Nets deal with all the draft picks, now they go to our division rival.

And what a piece of shit that player is....gets his coach to give up and quit and then heads out of town.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2011, 04:31 PM
:rolleyes: Melo screws Denver again. I'd have rather had the Nets deal with all the draft picks, now they go to our division rival.

And what a piece of shit that player is....gets his coach to give up and quit and then heads out of town.

According to everything I have read - Williams was in total shock. Since Williams has another year on his contract, Utah could trade him to anyone without approaching him, without the new team needing to know if he would sign that extension, as that would not have been an option for him until next season.

I wish the Nuggets would have done that with Melo last year, but IMO, with Coach Karl coming down with cancer, I really believe that stopped the Nuggets from doing the same thing last year.

Benetto
02-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Some less nerve rattling playoff games for the Lakers without Melo, Chauncey, and D-will gone.

BroncoAV06
02-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Nuggets suck with draft picks anyway.

A lot less involved in this deal player wise then what NJ/Den had on the table, easier to get done.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BeefStew25
02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I think Melo was pretty classy about the whole thing. He played his ass off when he was in DEN, and it is his right to not sign the extension.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-23-2011, 11:38 PM
I think Melo was pretty classy about the whole thing. He played his ass off when he was in DEN, and it is his right to not sign the extension.

I will disagree with you. One of the things he said in his press conference in NY today was that he was really going to play defense - EXCUSE ME - he did not know what the word DEFENSE meant in Denver - Coach Karl was begging for him to play defense :tsk:

BeefStew25
02-24-2011, 01:21 AM
I will disagree with you. One of the things he said in his press conference in NY today was that he was really going to play defense - EXCUSE ME - he did not know what the word DEFENSE meant in Denver - Coach Karl was begging for him to play defense :tsk:

Melo aint playing defense in Heaven if Jesus was his point guard.

He did the Nuggets a favor and didn't play games with them. He clearly wanted to be in NYC, and was frank about that from the beginning.

LeBron, take note.

Buff
02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I see both sides: On one hand, it's Melo's right to leave in free agency if he wants to. By telling us he wanted out a year early we at least got the chance to get something in return.

On the other hand, this season is basically lost because Melo was such a distraction for the entire first half. By only giving the Nuggets three teams to negotiate with, we were severely limited.

So I guess it's good we were able to salvage something for Melo... But it wasn't really right how he got to dictate where he was going on his own timetable. He did everything within his rights, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was classy or unselfish.

GEM
02-24-2011, 12:24 PM

He definitely acted within his rights, he definitely was a step above his predecessor in how he went about it. It just stings if he is the player on your team. On the outside looking in, if you aren't a Nuggets fan or just watch from the sidelines, he did do Denver a favor, but it still stings.

I don't think those in NY should expect that he is going to come out and play any differently than he has while in Denver. He won't be a defensive guy, it just isn't him. He knows that is what he is deficient in and unless he is willing to really get disciplined with himself, I don't see it happening. :shrugs:

Melo isn't a superstar on the level of a James, a Bryant or a Duncan. He needs players around him. I guess we'll see if the Knicks are able to place those type of players around him under the rules of the new CBA.

BeefStew25
02-24-2011, 11:39 PM
The issue in NYC is that Amare is a colt and runs, and is used to moving aroung, whereas Melo brings the offense to a grinding halt when he gets the ball. Which he is good at, 1 on 1.

I like this new trend by the teams though. Not going to sign the extension, or maybe not give us a good indication? See ya, we want some value.

And, there are tons of players that want to play where they are drafted.

PS I like these new look Nugs. They are moving around pretty good. Karl sucks though.