PDA

View Full Version : A concern I have about yesterday

roomemp
09-29-2008, 07:13 AM
I was concerned with our running game yesterday. It seems like we are not really too comitted to it this year. This actually is true for all the games we have played so far. I know some have said we have went from a running offense to a passing offense. I agree but have we made the switch because our backs can't control a game? Our defense needs the running game to step up. I am curious to see what happens when Torian comes back. I am hoping he comes back healthy and able to shoulder a lot of the running game......Whats your views on this?

DallasChief
09-29-2008, 07:18 AM
I think you made the switch because your QB can throw for 361 yards every game.

Bronco9798
09-29-2008, 07:24 AM

I'd rather our QB throw for 200 yards and we control the game with the running game. Stats are nice, but they are over rated with huge QB numbers. Those nice big numbers usually mean you are playing from behind or you can't run the ball.

Selvin Young is not the answer at RB, nor is Andre Hall. We need someone different and hopefully, just hopefully, Torain is the answer. He can't be any worse. Our RB's right now pop off a long one every so often, but they can't control a game with consistency. That's what is missing from this offense. We're only 4 weeks in to the season and future teams will key and adjust for our lack of a running game. If it gets no better, we will continue to lose games like we did against the Chiefs. That was a horrific display of football on both sides of the ball yesterday.

Rex
09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Cant run. Cant win.

Especially on the road.

Bronco9798
09-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Another concern is our nickel package on defense. We did pretty good on 1st and 2nd down yesterday. It was the third down situations again that came back and bit us on the ass. Jack Williams has Roc Alexander written all over him. Every third down the Chiefs were looking for the match up between Jack and Bowe, and they exploited it every time, unless Bowe caught the ball out of bounds. And the safety help is atrocious. Just simply pathetic. I could of helped Williams out better than what we had out there yesterday.

And our front four is so poor, it's not even worth discussing. Who the hell, and where the hell is Jarvis Moss. This guy needs to be released or just made inactive every game. That Chiefs offensive line has been horrible this year and we looked like a bunch of high school guys on that front line. Doom tried, but he failed, Moss was invisible, and whoever was clogging the middle played to a point of embarrassment. They are excruciating to watch, to the point of embarrassing. They did call Ekubans name a couple of times yesterday. I guess he gets a little credit, but not much really.

Anybody who thinks that this front four is going to get any better with the talent we have, is just football stupid. They are an embarrassment to this team. Shanny has had some good drafts the last couple of years, but his, or whoever is responsible for bringing in these defensive players up front is a very poor judge of defensive players.

We will go nowhere until we get a running game and some people that want to play football up front. We're damn lucky to be 3-1 with those 2 areas on the team.

Just my opinion where this team is lacking.

Bronco9798
09-29-2008, 07:41 AM
One positive point yesterday was Michael Pittman. Pittman has done everything he has been asked to do as a role player. He's not been asked to take over a game, he's asked to play a role and he does it very good. I really couldn't find too many positives from that game yesterday. We played the Kansas City friggin Chiefs for crying out loud.

Rex
09-29-2008, 07:44 AM
It was obvious that a certain times of the game yesterday, the momentum was trying to turn....the Chiefs were laying it out for Denver to take it. If....IF, Denver had been able to establish the run and chew up some clock and keep that putrid defense off the field, it would have been a different story. Instead, KC ended up shoving it up Denver's ass with a run game that chewed up clock and controlled the game. When it counts, you have to run the ball on the road.

EastCoastBronco
09-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Did you witness that mess in person 97?

roomemp
09-29-2008, 07:49 AM
One positive point yesterday was Michael Pittman. Pittman has done everything he has been asked to do as a role player. He's not been asked to take over a game, he's asked to play a role and he does it very good. I really couldn't find too many positives from that game yesterday. We played the Kansas City friggin Chiefs for crying out loud.

I almost would like to see Pittman get more carries on 1st and 2nd down. Until Torian comes back

BeefStew25
09-29-2008, 08:17 AM
I almost would like to see Pittman get more carries on 1st and 2nd down. Until Torian comes back

I agree. He has a ring, he is a little mentally unstable, and he is Emo RB.

I say give some carries outside the 20's and see what happens.

Rex
09-29-2008, 08:20 AM
KCs front 4 appeared to be having their way with Denver's OL.

Bronco9798
09-29-2008, 08:23 AM

Huard was 21-28 yesterday for 157 yards and a win. Give me those numbers and a win every week and I'll be happy. And throw me in a RB that can get 150, or 198 like LJ did.

FISH
09-29-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't know that our offensive line has completely arrived at run blocking yet....that said...I agree that Selvin isn't the full time answer at RB...course when the line fully develops at run blocking we probably wouldn't notice

Bronco9798
09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't know that our offensive line has completely arrived at run blocking yet....that said...I agree that Selvin isn't the full time answer at RB...course when the line fully develops at run blocking we probably wouldn't notice

We're through mini-camps, training camp, pre-season and now heading into week 5 of the regular season. At what point do they start to fully understand it?

BeefStew25
09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
We're through mini-camps, training camp, pre-season and now heading into week 5 of the regular season. At what point do they start to fully understand it?

We just need to gell.

Bronco9798
09-29-2008, 09:19 AM
We just need to gell.

I love you Beef. Yes, I forgot about the gelling part. I seem to love that word for what it is worth. Let's all friggin gell!!!! Yeah, they need to Jell, Gell, Gel, Jel, however you spell it the right way.

BeefStew25
09-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I love you Beef. Yes, I forgot about the gelling part. I seem to love that word for what it is worth. Let's all friggin gell!!!! Yeah, they need to Jell, Gell, Gel, Jel, however you spell it the right way.

Gawd I want to feel you in my arms and in my colon.

Shazam!
09-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I thought it was blatantly obvious that Denver's running game has suffered with all the passing, it isn't all about Cutler's talents.

I think this team has missed a featured-Back that can carry the load. They haven't had that since Clinton Portis.

Hopefully, Torain has something?

Running game aside, DL is a friggin' JOKE as usual.

Mike
09-29-2008, 09:26 AM

I am sure they understand it. Executing it perfectly takes time though.

Hopefully, things get better when Torrain gets healthy. But I am not buying into that hype yet. I expect to see Jay throw it 50 times a game this year.

KC's oline is pitiful. Our defense couldn't generate a damn bit of pressure against one of the worst o-lines in the NFL. That is the biggest problem that I took away from the game. That and they can't figure a way to stop the big play. And they can't get off the field on 3rd down...

Bronco9798
09-29-2008, 09:28 AM
I am sure they understand it. Executing it perfectly takes time though.

Hopefully, things get better when Torrain gets healthy. But I am not buying into that hype yet. I expect to see Jay throw it 50 times a game this year.

KC's oline is pitiful. Our defense couldn't generate a damn bit of pressure against one of the worst o-lines in the NFL. That is the biggest problem that I took away from the game. That and they can't figure a way to stop the big play. And they can't get off the field on 3rd down...

Amen..Preach. Don't stop, let it out!!!!

FISH
09-29-2008, 08:57 PM

Wasn't saying they didn't understand....was saying they haven't arrived...meaning they aren't executing it as well as they can

course...this is just my opinion and I certainly don't claim to be an expert

weazel
09-29-2008, 10:39 PM
shanny hasn't been committed to the running game for a few seasons, this is not new

Lonestar
09-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Wasn't saying they didn't understand....was saying they haven't arrived...meaning they aren't executing it as well as they can

course...this is just my opinion and I certainly don't claim to be an expert

This is a key word grouping..

They literally have not arrived at any of the games yet..

those are just holograms that we have been seeing..

jlarsiii
09-29-2008, 11:01 PM
As of right now I am having a hard time understanding why everybody is so upset about the running game. Is it because traditionally under Shanny we have had a decent running attack?

I know that running the ball allows any team to control the clock. It allows an offense to keep their defense off of the field. It is necessary for later in the season and in the playoffs when the weather will suck. It can be used to wear down the opposing defense and soften them up for bigger plays.

One thing I also know quite well is that teams play to their strengths as well. As much as people may not like it the biggest strength that this offense has right now is through the passing game. So far through 4 games it appears that the coaching staff thinks so as well. That is why we are passing it more, because it moves the chains and gives us a chance to score. We are simply using the greatest strength of this offense to put points on the board and cover the defense's collective butt.

What really cracks me up about this thread is that if we had spent the entire game yesterday trying to establish the run and it didn't work there would be threads complaining about the fact that we should have passed it more. Or it would have been about conservative playcalling instead of attacking the defense. We can't have it both ways.

Just be happy that at least some aspect of our offense actually works otherwise it would be a really damn long season to have to sit through.

Bronco9798
09-29-2008, 11:25 PM
As of right now I am having a hard time understanding why everybody is so upset about the running game. Is it because traditionally under Shanny we have had a decent running attack?

I know that running the ball allows any team to control the clock. It allows an offense to keep their defense off of the field. It is necessary for later in the season and in the playoffs when the weather will suck. It can be used to wear down the opposing defense and soften them up for bigger plays.

One thing I also know quite well is that teams play to their strengths as well. As much as people may not like it the biggest strength that this offense has right now is through the passing game. So far through 4 games it appears that the coaching staff thinks so as well. That is why we are passing it more, because it moves the chains and gives us a chance to score. We are simply using the greatest strength of this offense to put points on the board and cover the defense's collective butt.

What really cracks me up about this thread is that if we had spent the entire game yesterday trying to establish the run and it didn't work there would be threads complaining about the fact that we should have passed it more. Or it would have been about conservative playcalling instead of attacking the defense. We can't have it both ways.

Just be happy that at least some aspect of our offense actually works otherwise it would be a really damn long season to have to sit through.

You have to have balance with the running and passing game to be effective to win consistently and advance to the playoffs. So you want us to be happy that some aspect of the offense works? Give me a balanced attack and I'll be happy. Being one dimensional will haunt you as the season moves on.

Our passing game has been scoring points, but the non-existent running game is not allwing us to eat the clock and keep other teams offenses off the field. We have to establish the run and be balanced if we are going to win the division and advance in the playoffs.

WhatEver!!!
09-30-2008, 08:39 AM
We will start running the ball more when we get a stud running back. Torian may be that guy but I see us getting a running back in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft next year. Then Saftey and DL

Shazam!
09-30-2008, 09:18 AM
You have to have balance with the running and passing game to be effective to win consistently...

One dimensional play on either side is a death sentance for any team.

Medford Bronco
09-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Cant run. Cant win.

Especially on the road.

cant play defense, cant win, especially against a team
we should beat :doh:

BroncoNut
09-30-2008, 10:17 AM
You have to have balance with the running and passing game to be effective to win consistently and advance to the playoffs. So you want us to be happy that some aspect of the offense works? Give me a balanced attack and I'll be happy. Being one dimensional will haunt you as the season moves on.

Our passing game has been scoring points, but the non-existent running game is not allwing us to eat the clock and keep other teams offenses off the field. We have to establish the run and be balanced if we are going to win the division and advance in the playoffs.

Amen Brutha.

gobroncsnv
09-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Our defense has gelled. They need to solidify.

Npba900
09-30-2008, 06:53 PM
This is a key word grouping..

They literally have not arrived at any of the games yet..

those are just holograms that we have been seeing..

I'm thinking if they didn't "Arive and Jell" during or at the end of Training Camp......chances are in the regular season you won't see much improvement.

Npba900
09-30-2008, 07:18 PM
cant play defense, cant win, especially against a team
we should beat :doh:

I agree with the Defense part. Once again, I still see our DL/front four continuing to only pass rush with the Bull Rush move only. Can't sack or apply pressure on the QB using only the Bull Rush!

Also, when the weather gets bad and when the playoffs start if you can't run the ball.....you can't win either. But I won't get ahead of myself as far as the playoffs are concerned.

I hope for four things this season and next season:

1st: Torain will return and give Denver that power running btwn the tackles to convert third and short.

2nd: During the next 2 or 3 years in the draft and FA, Denver needs to find a DT that can collapse the pocket, and find a pass rusher or two, a middle linebacker, and an impact safety.

3rd: Question to ask is whether Denver has the ability to recognize, draft, and develop talent on the defensive side of the ball.

4th: Bowlen after this season has got to step in and pull Shanny aside and say "Mike"! We gotta change our culture and mind set on Defense, and promptly dismantle and restructure the current model and game Shanahan is using to build up the Defensive side of the ball.

Bowlen needs to force Shanahan to bring in a Defensive Coordinator/assistant who coached a Defense that was at least in the top 10 who have a proven record of developing defensive players. Also Bowlen needs to find a front office Defensive Player personnel evaluator to work with the scouts and teach them how to spot talent.

Bronco9798
09-30-2008, 07:23 PM
We don't need Torain for 3rd and short. We need him on to establish the run game on 1st and 2nd. Pittman has done an outstanding job on the short stuff. Torain just needs to be a workhorse and get yards on early downs on each series so we don't end up with 3rd and long. Pittman can take care of the short stuff.

Lonestar
09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
I agree with the Defense part. Once again, I still see our DL/front four continuing to only pass rush with the Bull Rush move only. Can't sack or apply pressure on the QB using only the Bull Rush!

Also, when the weather gets bad and when the playoffs start if you can't run the ball.....you can't win either. But I won't get ahead of myself as far as the playoffs are concerned.

I hope for four things this season and next season:

1st: Torain will return and give Denver that power running btwn the tackles to convert third and short.

2nd: During the next 2 or 3 years in the draft and FA, Denver needs to find a DT that can collapse the pocket, and find a pass rusher or two, a middle linebacker, and an impact safety.

3rd: Question to ask is whether Denver has the ability to recognize, draft, and develop talent on the defensive side of the ball.

4th: Bowlen after this season has got to step in and pull Shanny aside and say "Mike"! We gotta change our culture and mind set on Defense, and promptly dismantle and restructure the current model and game Shanahan is using to build up the Defensive side of the ball.

Bowlen needs to force Shanahan to bring in a Defensive Coordinator/assistant who coached a Defense that was at least in the top 10 who have a proven record of developing defensive players. Also Bowlen needs to find a front office Defensive Player personnel evaluator to work with the scouts and teach them how to spot talent.

A great insightful post.

Two question about it ..

Do you really think our OLINE is going to get the ZBS down pat even with a power back like torain gets back IF he gets back..
I do not have the confidence yet in the running game and I think it more OLINE related than RB wise..

While they have done a superb job Protecting the drop back pass SO FAR. I seem to get the feeling from what I see that the ZBS running scheme is not yet there..

DO you really think Pat will force the issue about getting a qualified D type Guy.. I think he did this quietly last year with Bates.. HE forced him to bring in an outsider with a name.. and let me tell you why.. The Draft 3 DL guys out of four was so untypical of mikey that it IMO screams that Bates was given carte blanc to make changes.. Same with cutting warren and bringing in fatso and Jimmy.. each and everyone failures with the existing coaches..

It is my contention that mikey did very little to go out of his way to assure that this new scheme worked out.. His hand picked replacement for coyer just had to wait a year to make his move and in fact only through the bye week when mikey emasculated Bates and installed his own Defense for the rest of the year..

Being able to tell Pat see I told you it would not work..

DO you think Pat will force the issue again?

Den21vsBal19
10-01-2008, 01:18 AM
We just need to gell.
We've gel'd just fine..............................

Defense steps onto the field, and they turn to jello ;)

broncobryce
10-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I agree, why need a proven D coordinator. We won superbowls with Greg Robinson. We don't need a GREAT D, just one that can get turnovers and slow them down a little. I would be happy with 15th ranked D right now. All I know, is we better not let SD win the division or we will NEVER hear the end of it.