PDA

View Full Version : Bob Sanders?

vandammage13
02-21-2011, 12:54 PM
What do you guys think of making a push to sign Bob Sanders? Yeah, he is hurt a lot due to the way he plays with reckless abandon, but our defense is so bad, so I think we should make a gamble on him if the price is right.

Who knows, maybe we can get lucky and he can stay healthy for a couple of years. The guy is a tremendous talent (probably a top 5 safety when healthy), and he could make an immediate impact on our secondary.

Due to his injury history, I think we might be able to get him at a bargain price, and maybe our luck can start turning when it comes to players getting hurt. I think its worth the gamble. The guy seems to play with a fire that could rub off on others, and it wont hamstring us too much if he gets hurt, so long as we get him on the cheap.

GEM
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Brian Dawkins 2.0. John Lynch 2.0 Jamaal Williams 2.0

All had better days before getting here. May have some left in the tank, but don't overpay and don't plan your defense around him.

SOCALORADO.
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
NO, NO and NO

TXBRONC
02-21-2011, 01:01 PM
What do you guys think of making a push to sign Bob Sanders? Yeah, he is hurt a lot due to the way he plays with reckless abandon, but our defense is so bad, so I think we should make a gamble on him if the price is right.

Who knows, maybe we can get lucky and he can stay healthy for a couple of years. The guy is a tremendous talent (probably a top 5 safety when healthy), and he could make an immediate impact on our secondary.

Due to his injury history, I think we might be able to get him at a bargain price, and maybe our luck can start turning when it comes to players getting hurt. I think its worth the gamble. The guy seems to play with a fire that could rub off on others, and it wont hamstring us too much if he gets hurt, so long as we get him on the cheap.

I wouldn't precisely for the reason he can't stay healthy. It wouldn't do us much good if get hurt again. Even if he's bargin so to speak if he can't stay healthy it's wasted money and roster space.

vandammage13
02-21-2011, 01:03 PM
NO, NO and NO

So are you happy with our current corps of safeties? If not, then who do you propose would be a better option considering the price we could possibly get Sanders for?

I think it would be smart to sign him to a 2 year deal and draft someone like Ahmad Black as a mid-rounder. Sanders can hold down the fort until the rookie has enough experience to not be a liability back there.

BroncoWave
02-21-2011, 01:05 PM
If we can get him cheap why not? I agree though that I wouldn't take him if he's still looking for a big contract.

TXBRONC
02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
So are you happy with our current corps of safeties? If not, then who do you propose would be a better option considering the price we could possibly get Sanders for?

I think it would be smart to sign him to a 2 year deal and draft someone like Ahmad Black as a mid-rounder. Sanders can hold down the fort until the rookie has enough experience to not be a liability back there.

He couldn't hold down any fort if he's on IR.

vandammage13
02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't precisely for the reason he can't stay healthy. It wouldn't do us much good if get hurt again. Even if he's bargin so to speak if he can't stay healthy it's wasted money and roster space.

I understand the injury concern, but sometimes when the talent is there, it is worth taking a gamble even when you think there's a chance he might be done.

Who would have thought Kurt Warner would have went to Arizona and performed how he did? He was a washed up, after thought when they picked him up from the Giants. Jerome Bettis, Randall Cunningham...just other examples of guys who were written off and came back to have another few years of solid productivity.

cuzz4169
02-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Just sign Landry from the Ravens. Then draft Ahmad Black. And plz cut Hill!!

vandammage13
02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
He couldn't hold down any fort if he's on IR.

Again...Not really hurting much if you can get him for cheap. Bring him in for TC and if it looks like there's nothing left, you can simply cut him and not lose much in terms of investment.

cuzz4169
02-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Again...Not really hurting much if you can get him for cheap. Bring him in for TC and if it looks like there's nothing left, you can simply cut him and not lose much in terms of investment.

The problem is Denver isn't the only team in the league. I'm sure other teams are thinking that and one team might even give him a hefty contract.

vandammage13
02-21-2011, 01:25 PM
The problem is Denver isn't the only team in the league. I'm sure other teams are thinking that and one team might even give him a hefty contract.

Yeah, there are definitely other teams out there that might inquire about his services, but few teams out there need defensive help as much as we do. I really think that his injury history is going to scare off any team from offering him any sort of lucritive deal. I'd be suprised if he gets anything more than 1.5 mil per year.

rcsodak
02-21-2011, 01:27 PM

OMG! Harrison. Dawkins. Thomas. Orton. Watts. Brown.
Every year ya'll cry about how the current HC wastes money on FA's/draftees with injury histories, and then turn around the next year and say" if he's cheap enough".
How many games has sanders missed in the last 3yrs, to injury? How do you expect TT to improve if another qb starts? How do you expect the young safeties to improve if another starts?

Welcome to the Jeckyl n Hyde Forums
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

cuzz4169
02-21-2011, 01:31 PM
By the way I don't get NFL network...where else online can I watch some combine stuff?

TXBRONC
02-21-2011, 01:38 PM
I understand the injury concern, but sometimes when the talent is there, it is worth taking a gamble even when you think there's a chance he might be done.

Who would have thought Kurt Warner would have went to Arizona and performed how he did? He was a washed up, after thought when they picked him up from the Giants. Jerome Bettis, Randall Cunningham...just other examples of guys who were written off and came back to have another few years of solid productivity.

In Sander's six seasons as pro he's missed ten or more games in four of those seasons. I understand he's got talent but his health history so bad I wouldn't want to take the chance regardless of how cheap we might get him for.

If you're thinking that Sanders would come in as a starter then Warner and Cunningham are not the same. Those to guys went to their respective teams as back up quaterbacks not as starters. Bettis was only going into his fourth season as pro when he was traded to the Steelers and he missed very games in those three seasons.

rcsodak
02-21-2011, 01:50 PM

Problem with that theory, is what happens if he stays healthy in TC, starts, they cut a young S, and he gets hurt wk6 and misses the est of the season....again!
Just my opinion, but you don't rebuild a franchise by scouring the IR list.

vandammage13
02-21-2011, 01:52 PM
OMG! Harrison. Dawkins. Thomas. Orton. Watts. Brown.
Every year ya'll cry about how the current HC wastes money on FA's/draftees with injury histories, and then turn around the next year and say" if he's cheap enough".
How many games has sanders missed in the last 3yrs, to injury? How do you expect TT to improve if another qb starts? How do you expect the young safeties to improve if another starts?
Welcome to the Jeckyl n Hyde Forums

In regards to the safeties, we have no young talent back there as of now needing an opportunity to get better. We have zero depth back there. Signing Sanders could leave us at zero depth if he gets hurt again, but if he can manage to stay healthy, it would be a good move if you couple his acquisition with a mid-level draft pick at safety.

If he gets hurt, then you just cut your losses (which would be minimal) and start the rookie a little sooner than you would have ideally hoped for. In regards to this specific position, you probably need to make 2 or 3 acquisitions in hopes that one of those guys will pan out. Sanders by himself would be a stupid decision, as would just drafting 1 guy hoping he won't be a bust. Make a variety of acquistions so that you have a plan B in case plan A doesn't work out.

TXBRONC
02-21-2011, 01:55 PM

I disagree if you're thinking that they would bring him in to be a starter because then may have missed out having who could competently take his place.

vandammage13
02-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Problem with that theory, is what happens if he stays healthy in TC, starts, they cut a young S, and he gets hurt wk6 and misses the est of the season....again!
Just my opinion, but you don't rebuild a franchise by scouring the IR list.

I would hope you would cut Hill or BDawk instead of a young guy. BDawk has shown that he's a liability even when healthy, while Hill has shown that he just simply sucks. Obviously you would keep the young guy in this situation.

vandammage13
02-21-2011, 01:59 PM
I disagree if you're thinking that they would bring him in to be a starter because then may have missed out having who could competently take his place.

I would bring him in with the thought of having him compete for the starting job. I've never been a fan of just handing the job to someone, so if he's outperformed, there's no reason to start him especially if you're not invested heavily in him.

TXBRONC
02-21-2011, 02:04 PM
I would bring him in with the thought of having him compete for the starting job. I've never been a fan of just handing the job to someone, so if he's outperformed, there's no reason to start him especially if you're not invested heavily in him.

Fair enough. However if that's case I would rather just go with younger players.

vandammage13
02-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Fair enough. However if that's case I would rather just go with younger players.

I would agree with you here, so long as the younger player shows he's ready and not going to be a thorn in the defenses side back there. I just like to cover my bases and have multiple insurance policies so that if one doesn't work out you're not just stuck with a bad decision all year.

Ravage!!!
02-21-2011, 02:53 PM
You won't bring in a Bob Sanders and just "try him out" at TC. He and his agent arent' going to waste their time with teams that won't give more of a commitment than that. So that's just not going to happen.

Other than that, no way I bring this guy in. LOVE his play when he's healthy, but that guy is RARELY healthy. Pass.

SpringsBroncoFan
02-21-2011, 03:00 PM
No thanks...

If you want a hard hitting safety there are two highly rated in this draft...

SS McDaniel & FS Carter

Of the other two SS Black is ok in run support whereas FS Moore... does not excel in that regard...

Draft McDaniel or Carter in the 2nd and then sign a FA at the other position. Either is a good value in the 2nd.

Admittedly McDaniel has some off field issues but if the FO is confident he can move forward he's the best safety on the board...

bcbronc
02-21-2011, 03:28 PM
I'd be okay with signing Sanders, as long as:

A. we still draft a S in the second round, and

B. he's signed to a cheap, incentive based deal.

I mean Sanders has less mileage on his tires than Lynch or Dawkins did when we signed them. ;)

Juriga72
02-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I'd be okay with signing Sanders, as long as:

A. we still draft a S in the second round, and

B. he's signed to a cheap, incentive based deal.

I mean Sanders has less mileage on his tires than Lynch or Dawkins did when we signed them. ;)

He's only played what 27 games the last 4 years..IIRC

SOCALORADO.
02-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey! I know!
If DEN is gonna get a Safety, then get a guy who is good AND! RARELY injured!
ROMAN HARPER
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/95567271.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F53A39A14A7238FA6B 9CBBC18AA6FA41EF6F58F179828AD920E30A760B0D811297

Eric Weddle, S, Chargers.
Eric Weddle is due for a massive contract. Excluding Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu, Weddle might be the best safety in the NFL (though Nick Collins may have something to say about that).

Dawan Landry, SS, Ravens.
Already a terrific run-support safety, Dawan Landry improved his coverage skills this past season.

O.J. Atogwe, FS, Rams.
Despite being 30 years old, O.J. Atogwe is still one of the better free safeties in the NFL. He's solid in coverage and excels as a blitzer.

Donte Whitner, SS, Bills.
Donte Whitner plays well against the run, but tends to struggle in coverage - though he did improve slightly in that department as the 2010 season progressed.

All of them are FAs and i dont think any of them have a contract in place. ( I know, the CBA)
Just sayin..

TXBRONC
02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
He's only played what 27 games the last 4 years..IIRC

For his career to date he's played in less than 50% all possible regular season games.

vandammage13
02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
So it seems the general consensus on here is NO on Sanders. I still contend he's worth the risk if the price is right.

cuzz4169
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey! I know!
ROMAN HARPER
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/95567271.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F53A39A14A7238FA6B 9CBBC18AA6FA41EF6F58F179828AD920E30A760B0D811297

Already a terrific run-support safety, Dawan Landry improved his coverage skills this past season.

Like him A LOT!!!

bcbronc
02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=SOCALORADO.;1214418]Hey! I know!
ROMAN HARPER

Harper is an option now that we have NO DB coach. But Harper was the worst player on the field in the playoffs vs. SEA, so I'm not overly excited about that prospect.

Eric Weddle, S, Chargers.
Eric Weddle is due for a massive contract. Excluding Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu, Weddle might be the best safety in the NFL (though Nick Collins may have something to say about that).

probably doesn't make it out of SD. But yeah, obviously you take Weddle over Sanders.

depends on the contract. if you can add Sanders AND a 2nd round rook for a fraction of the cost of Landry, it might be the better way to go.

O.J. Atogwe, FS, Rams.
Despite being 30 years old, O.J. Atogwe is still one of the better free safeties in the NFL. He's solid in coverage and excels as a blitzer.

there's some talk Atogwe will re-sign with the Rams.

Donte Whitner, SS, Bills.
Donte Whitner plays well against the run, but tends to struggle in coverage - though he did improve slightly in that department as the 2010 season progressed.

again, do we really want to pay UFA money for such a one-dimensional player. At least Landry comes from a defense with some pedigree. I'd rather draft a S of the future than blow the big bucks on an okay S that is limited in the pass game.

All of them are FAs and i dont think any of them have a contract in place. ( I know, the CBA)
Just sayin..

and all will be expensive. Sanders only interests me at super cheap and as a bridge to give a rook .5-1 season to get up to speed. When healthy, he's also a much better player than everyone else on your list (probably including Weddle, if you take the injury history out, which obviously you can't do).

silkamilkamonico
02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Our defensive personnel is so bad that we are talking about having our 3rd washed up veteran as a stop gap for our next starting S.

LMAO

Lonestar
02-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Our defensive personnel is so bad that we are talking about having our 3rd washed up veteran as a stop gap for our next starting S.

LMAO

Welcome to the twilight endzone.

BORDERLINE
02-22-2011, 01:41 AM
IMO I would say no to Sanders due to the injury bug he carries with him.

Someone said R.Hill sucked and while he really pist me off with that P.I call against Santonio Holmes that cost us the game I don't believe he is the player we should cut.

B.Dawk was a exciting player when he was in his prime and that time is long gone. A little slow now and a little sloppy. Let's see what McBath has and draft a guy and go on from there

SOCALORADO.
02-22-2011, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE]

Harper is an option now that we have NO DB coach. But Harper was the worst player on the field in the playoffs vs. SEA, so I'm not overly excited about that prospect.

probably doesn't make it out of SD. But yeah, obviously you take Weddle over Sanders.

depends on the contract. if you can add Sanders AND a 2nd round rook for a fraction of the cost of Landry, it might be the better way to go.

there's some talk Atogwe will re-sign with the Rams.

again, do we really want to pay UFA money for such a one-dimensional player. At least Landry comes from a defense with some pedigree. I'd rather draft a S of the future than blow the big bucks on an okay S that is limited in the pass game.

and all will be expensive. Sanders only interests me at super cheap and as a bridge to give a rook .5-1 season to get up to speed. When healthy, he's also a much better player than everyone else on your list (probably including Weddle, if you take the injury history out, which obviously you can't do).

Your grabbing at straws.
Roman Harper had one bad game. 1.
Child please.
Hes fantastic in all phases of the game and would be a HUGE upgrade over anyone DEN currently has, and is rarely injured.
Eric Weddle has done nothing bur improve every year, and if he wants more $$ then DEN should give it to him hes 26 and only getting better. Weddle can also play CB in a pinch and is extemely versatile..
Landry is also good in all phases of the game.
But heres whats funny. I dont even know how your claiming that Sanders is better than these guys. Thats laughable.
He NEVER plays. Hes ALWAYS injured. Why is he even a topic of discussion?
He's the real Mr.Glass.
Are you hoping for a "comeback player of the Year"?
DEN sucks balls, and desperately needs solid players that can be counted on to lead and preform at a high level every game.
Sanders is not that guy, which is exactly why IND is happy to not only let him go, but Melvin Bullet his replacement is also a FA. IND doesnt seem to worried about it. They will re-sign Melvin and happily have him play the S position for them.
Shoot, DEN should look hard at trying to get Bullet!

vandammage13
02-22-2011, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=bcbronc;1214438]

Your grabbing at straws.
Roman Harper had one bad game. 1.
Child please.
Hes fantastic in all phases of the game and would be a HUGE upgrade over anyone DEN currently has, and is rarely injured.
Eric Weddle has done nothing bur improve every year, and if he wants more $$ then DEN should give it to him hes 26 and only getting better. Weddle can also play CB in a pinch and is extemely versatile..
Landry is also good in all phases of the game.
But heres whats funny. I dont even know how your claiming that Sanders is better than these guys. Thats laughable.
He NEVER plays. Hes ALWAYS injured. Why is he even a topic of discussion?
He's the real Mr.Glass.
Are you hoping for a "comeback player of the Year"?
DEN sucks balls, and desperately needs solid players that can be counted on to lead and preform at a high level every game.
Sanders is not that guy, which is exactly why IND is happy to not only let him go, but Melvin Bullet his replacement is also a FA. IND doesnt seem to worried about it. They will re-sign Melvin and happily have him play the S position for them.
Shoot, DEN should look hard at trying to get Bullet!

He did win NFL Defensive Player of the Year just a few years ago...What have those other guys you mentioned done?....If you can get him for cheap then it might be worth the risk. You might get lucky. As long as you aren't going all in on him, I see more upside with him than the other players.

SOCALORADO.
02-22-2011, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=SOCALORADO.;1214730]

He did win NFL Defensive Player of the Year just a few years ago...What have those other guys you mentioned done?....If you can get him for cheap then it might be worth the risk. You might get lucky. As long as you aren't going all in on him, I see more upside with him than the other players.

Who cares? I dont. I just want a solid player that can make plays, and will lead the defense. 5 of those players i mentioned are considered Pro Bowl level players. A couple of them are BETTER than Sanders. Why? Cause hes ALWAYS injured. Clearly theres a problem physically for bob. Maybe its the style of play, but its become a real glaring issue for him, and a team thats 2-14 would do well IMHO to steer clear of a notoriously injured player, when there are players that are playing close or ahead of him in ability.
Roman Harper has won a SB. And is a leader on his defense.
He can also drop the hammer as well as Sanders ever could.
And all players get injured. Harper has injured himself as well, as has Landry. Its the NFL. Players get hurt.
I like Sanders! Its just the massive injury issues that raise too many red flags for me, considering that there are plenty of alternatives that are nearly as good or even better.

Traveler
02-22-2011, 02:02 PM

LMAO

Everyone here should be getting tired of the team continuing to build a defense this way. Hopefully Fox deviates from doing this.

Denver27og
02-23-2011, 04:02 PM
maybe bob can help with some advice on beating the colts.

I Eat Staples
02-23-2011, 04:08 PM
No.