PDA

View Full Version : What do we need to select with our 1st Rd pick?

lex
09-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Lets say we draft at 20 or later. What do we need to take with our first round draft pick?

Tned
09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
I'll get a draft forum setup sometime in the next few days.

I went with safety, but it is a toss up between it and DT. We definately need some safety depth and possibly replacement(s). Today I think we still need more DT help, but that could change depending on how Marcus Thomas develops over the course of the year. After that, I would have to say O-line. Again, it depends on how some players develop, if Harris gets any playing time once healthy, if Hamilton comes back, but right now the O-line is definately sub-par.

Skinny
09-24-2007, 08:00 PM
I picked DT but there are a 2 other positions, Safety and O-line, i would put a priority on considering where we are selecting and the value.

But DT seems to be the glaring need right now IMO.

It all starts up front. . .

lex
09-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Add me to the list of people who voted for DT (actually you dont have to add me...the list is automated). This is provided Jake Long doesnt slide. I think we should draft two of them, keep Sam Adams and drop Gordon, Burton and McKinley. I also think we should draft a LB who can fight off blocks and another athletic LB who can tackle and run. But DT is paramount.

Lonestar
09-24-2007, 08:13 PM
I'll get a draft forum setup sometime in the next few days.

I went with safety, but it is a toss up between it and DT. We definately need some safety depth and possibly replacement(s). Today I think we still need more DT help, but that could change depending on how Marcus Thomas develops over the course of the year. After that, I would have to say O-line. Again, it depends on how some players develop, if Harris gets any playing time once healthy, if Hamilton comes back, but right now the O-line is definately sub-par.

We can make do with OLINE IMO. We have lived forever with second tier oline guys because of our scheme unless we are gonna change that and go to a drop back pocket passing and massive Oline guys we can get these second tier guys in rounds 3-7.

If we want to win we have to be able to stop the running game and with the existing DL it appears that is gonna be unlikely.

I say with our top 5 pick this year we grab one of the really biggie DT's. There should still be one available there.

Lonestar
09-24-2007, 08:14 PM
I picked DT but there are a 2 other positions, Safety and O-line, i would put a priority on considering where we are selecting and the value.

But DT seems to be the glaring need right now IMO.

It all starts up front. . .

Actually the term should be it all stops up front!

lex
09-24-2007, 08:15 PM
We can make do with OLINE IMO. We have lived forever with second tier oline guys because of our scheme unless we are gonna change that and go to a drop back pocket passing and massive Oline guys we can get these second tier guys in rounds 3-7.

If we want to win we have to be able to stop the running game and with the existing DL it appears that is gonna be unlikely.

I say with our top 5 pick this year we grab one of the really biggie DT's. There should still be one available there.

Top 5 pick? Do you really think were going to do THAT poorly?

Tned
09-24-2007, 08:24 PM

After yesterday's loss, he is predicting 3-5 wins. Possibly only one more win the rest of the season. :confused:

Lonestar
09-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Until that DL starts stopping the Running game we are toast the Jags just showed the rest of the NFL how to beat up on us. While we have a lot of talent potential the offenses has to be n the field to score.

If the running game can;t be stopped our great CB tandem will never have a chance to play real defense by the end of the year they will be beat up with all the tackles on RB's.

I never heard why Lynch did not play can anyone say?

Skinny
09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Until that DL starts stopping the Running game we are toast the Jags just showed the rest of the NFL how to beat up on us. While we have a lot of talent potential the offenses has to be n the field to score.

If the running game can;t be stopped our great CB tandem will never have a chance to play real defense by the end of the year they will be beat up with all the tackles on RB's.

I never heard why Lynch did not play can anyone say?He left in the 1st quarter.

Word is a groin injury.

Tned
09-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I never heard why Lynch did not play can anyone say?

Strained groin.

http://Broncos07.com or the live feed forum will give you all the Broncos news.

Lonestar
09-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Strained groin.

http://Broncos07.com or the live feed forum will give you all the Broncos news.

Thanks for the info I did not get to see the game. Would have probably bricked the TV if I had.

Does anyone know if NFL.NEt is gonna replay the game a nd if so When?

Tned
09-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info I did not get to see the game. Would have probably bricked the TV if I had.

Does anyone know if NFL.NEt is gonna replay the game a nd if so When?

It's a shame, that's one of the reasons you don't see what 'could be'. The offense showed some signs of real life and explosiveness. It isn't if, but when, they are able to consistantly score 30+ points.

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Add me to the list of people who voted for DT (actually you dont have to add me...the list is automated). This is provided Jake Long doesnt slide. I think we should draft two of them, keep Sam Adams and drop Gordon, Burton and McKinley. I also think we should draft a LB who can fight off blocks and another athletic LB who can tackle and run. But DT is paramount.

I don't think we would drop all three of them, we will still need depth.

Lonestar
09-24-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't think we would drop all three of them, we will still need depth.

I agreee we will keep a couple even if we get a super stud via FA or the draft. They seemd to have been like a lot more than warren or the other guy from STL.

lex
09-25-2007, 01:49 AM
I agreee we will keep a couple even if we get a super stud via FA or the draft. They seemd to have been like a lot more than warren or the other guy from STL.

What Im proposing would leave us with Thomas, Adams, Rookie 1, and Rookie 2.

dogfish
09-25-2007, 03:06 AM
too early to say. . . right now our most glaring need is obviously DT, but a lot can change between now and next april-- it will depend on how free agency plays out, and even more on who's available. . . and i don't want to see us reach for a guy based solely on positional need-- that's what has screwed us in the past, and resulted in taking guys like lily and terry pierce. . . in an ideal world i'd say probably grab a proven run-stopper in free agency, a stud LB in the first round, and a DT or OT in the second. . . but it depends on who's there, and a lot may depend on the development of marcus thomas as well. . .

Retired_Member_001
09-25-2007, 04:26 AM
When need an elite prospect at T.

I would definitley take a T.

broncosinindy
09-25-2007, 05:00 AM

I say with our top 5 pick this year we grab one of the really biggie DT's. There should still be one available there. That is what has killed us the last few years. I am sorry but matt lepsis does not even hold a candle to Zimmerman. not even tony jones. Im sorry but i dissaggree, that is fine we got good depth from the later rounds but what we need is a superstar lineman, the position needs to be addressed early. specially with alot of teams switching to the ZBS.

We need DT but i am not really impressed with the tackles in the first round. and no i dont want another Marcus Thomas type. his skill set is one thing. why change a players skill set. that is like asking ashle leilie to become a possession reciever. Sometimes it just blows up in your face. From what i have seen of thomas so far i am underwhelmed other than the fact that he had a great INT.

I dont know where we draft this year not even gonna speculate. but i will tell you what ever we do it better be a impact player. not a player that needs a couple years to develope into the player we want.

At this point i like the Tackles in this draft.and i like the LB's we need a T, MLB, DT. I think we can address Safety in FA, or in the later rounds. i am not impressed with alot of the safties this year. We also need more special teams help. but with this team close on alot of there players how many late rounders are gonna make it.

Retired_Member_001
09-25-2007, 05:52 AM

Yes but the offensive line is not doing well AT ALL this year. Cutler sprained his anke against the Jags because of poor pass protection. Cutler shouldn't be under so much pressure to throw, it is not fair.

As I keep saying, we ARE going to take some years off of his Football career at this rate.

We need to bring in a top prospect offensive lineman in the 1st/2nd round.

Tned
09-25-2007, 06:51 AM
When need an elite prospect at T.

I would definitley take a T.

Unless Jr is right in his prediction of picking in the top 5, the Broncos are not going to get an elite T. At least not a sure thing. The eliste offensive tackles go very early, the others are much less of a sure thing.

Retired_Member_001
09-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Unless Jr is right in his prediction of picking in the top 5, the Broncos are not going to get an elite T. At least not a sure thing. The eliste offensive tackles go very early, the others are much less of a sure thing.

Jake Long, Sam Baker, Gosder Cherilus, Barry Richardson and Ryan Clady are all good 1st round prospects.

Lonestar
09-25-2007, 01:42 PM
That is what has killed us the last few years. I am sorry but matt lepsis does not even hold a candle to Zimmerman. not even tony jones. Im sorry but i dissaggree, that is fine we got good depth from the later rounds but what we need is a superstar lineman, the position needs to be addressed early. specially with alot of teams switching to the ZBS.

We need DT but i am not really impressed with the tackles in the first round. and no i dont want another Marcus Thomas type. his skill set is one thing. why change a players skill set. that is like asking ashle leilie to become a possession reciever. Sometimes it just blows up in your face. From what i have seen of thomas so far i am underwhelmed other than the fact that he had a great INT.

I dont know where we draft this year not even gonna speculate. but i will tell you what ever we do it better be a impact player. not a player that needs a couple years to develope into the player we want.

At this point i like the Tackles in this draft.and i like the LB's we need a T, MLB, DT. I think we can address Safety in FA, or in the later rounds. i am not impressed with alot of the safties this year. We also need more special teams help. but with this team close on alot of there players how many late rounders are gonna make it.

Lepsis was one of the top LT in the game until his injury last year. Protected Jake's and greasy's blind side better than almost anyone in the NFL.

Now will he return to his quick self that I think is in the air.

BUT fa LT's are in the 4-4.5 mill per year league and up. 30-50 million for a long term contract. This is money that DEN does not have.

I do not follow the college players by position so you may be right on the money at DT. But it is rare that there is not a great DT on the top 15.

Getting a top five pick allows for many senarios besides taking one with it.

Retired_Member_001
09-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Lepsis was one of the top LT in the game until his injury last year. Protected Jake's and greasy's blind side better than almost anyone in the NFL.

BUT fa LT's are in the 4-4.5 mill per year league and up. 30-50 million for a long term contract. This is money that DEN does not have.

I do not follow the college players by position so you may be right on the money at DT. But it is rare that there is not a great DT on the top 15.

I don't think Lepsis will ever return to his normal self, and that's a big problem.

We have rookie Ryan Harris as a future LT prospect. He looks promising, I don't know if he can step up at LT immediately though.

What I really want for us, is to get a guy like D'Brickashaw Ferguson, he came in and stepped up immadiately for the Jets. With the ammount of good T's in this years Draft, it could be possible to find a guy like him outside of the top 10.

lex
09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Jake Long, Sam Baker, Gosder Cherilus, Barry Richardson and Ryan Clady are all good 1st round prospects.

No Tony Hills? He is a converted TE for Texas that just had a good game against TCU.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
It really depends on where we're drafting and where the value is. Linebacker and the tackle positions would be ideal. You guys will be getting an earful from me as the season progresses and especially in the off-season. It'll be one of those three places. . . guaranteed.

Tned
09-25-2007, 08:22 PM
It really depends on where we're drafting and where the value is. Linebacker and the tackle positions would be ideal. You guys will be getting an earful from me as the season progresses and especially in the off-season. It'll be one of those three places. . . guaranteed.

I created a Draft forum in preparation of your Draft analyses.

broncosinindy
09-25-2007, 10:04 PM

yeah most top five picks are looking for that type of money that you were saying we didnt have.

Trade the 5 pick and aquire more...

gobroncsnv
09-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I voted for LB... especially if we draft outside the top 15. It's hard to find a great DT in the draft after that. Backers are more plentiful, and you can get by (we have) with a rook at the position almost better there than anywhere else. Just ask Mobley, Gold, DJ, and Wilson. And we could really use some instant impact in the middle tier of the D.

lex
09-25-2007, 11:03 PM
I voted for LB... especially if we draft outside the top 15. It's hard to find a great DT in the draft after that. Backers are more plentiful, and you can get by (we have) with a rook at the position almost better there than anywhere else. Just ask Mobley, Gold, DJ, and Wilson. And we could really use some instant impact in the middle tier of the D.

If backers are more plentiful, you dont think we should take a chance on a DT?

Retired_Member_001
09-26-2007, 05:45 AM
No Tony Hills? He is a converted TE for Texas that just had a good game against TCU.

He is another option aswell.

Didn't he have a really bad injury though?

gobroncsnv
09-26-2007, 07:02 AM
What I was saying is that unless you draft pretty high on the first day, the chances of getting a REALLY good DT are much more limited. They are just too hard to find, so unless we really tank this year, I doubt we would have a shot at one. That said, I don't think we're NEARLY good enough at DT yet. I was just going with the odds that we won't have a pick high enough to get a great one, so being pragmatic, another area of need is some help at LB. Much more attainable goal, IMO. And while it is our second greatest need, it is a close second.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-26-2007, 02:32 PM

Levi Brown was a top ten selection because the Cardinals were desperate for a tackle. However, there are 4-6 guys in this draft who would have went before him had they been in the draft this year. Anyway, we don't need an "elite" tackle, we just need to stop scraping the bottom of the barrel - and with a heap of first-day players at the position, we'd do well to get one.

jhns
09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
With our 2 first day picks I would like to see a DT and LB. Not to say that won't change by the time the draft comes though. We may really end up needing a safety or o-lineman, depending on retirements after this season. Those four spots are our biggest needs though. DT and LB because they just need someone good there, o-line and safety because we have so much age and possible retirements.

It really depends on what happens this season though. There is also a strong possibility that Adams isn't on the team after this season. He only has a one year deal and that would make us far worse off at DT. So I guess if I have to chose one it would be a DT.