PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we want a full season lockout?

BroncoWave
02-19-2011, 07:22 PM
"Yes. RT @cgoliver: If 2011 is completely locked out, does draft order for 2012 stay the same? Assuming the world hasn't ended through April."

www.twitter.com/maxbroncos

I'm not being totally serious, but it would be kinda sweet to get the #2 pick 2 years in a row.

TXBRONC
02-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Since we've never lost an entire season before I don't know if they would keep the same draft order. My guess is that they wouldn't. That being said I don't think it would be that sweet to have the number 2 pick two years in a row. That's lot money to invest in that high of a pick plus the fact just makes it that much longer before everyone get accustomed to the new systems.

PAINTERDAVE
02-19-2011, 07:47 PM
I have heard a lot of radio analysts talk about this ...

and they all seem to think the second year would be a lottery drawing.

The NFL would NOT allow Carolina the number one pick this year...
AND to automaticly get Luck QB next year.

A lottery would suck...

say the full year was a wash...
we would still be a crappy team with the rights to a few unproven rookies
who have not played football for a full year now...
and that would include Tebow and Decker , etc...

and then say... like what if we got pick #32 in the lottery?
And say New England got Pick #1, Indy got Pick #2, and the Raiders got pick #3?

All of our enemies getting great draft position and us sucking hind tit.

It could happen.

This full year lockout/ lottery scenario could be a disaster for the Broncos.

We NEED this CBA deal to be done... sooner rather than later.

Italianmobstr7
02-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Absolutely not. I'd rather have football.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2011, 08:57 PM
I have heard a lot of radio analysts talk about this ...

and they all seem to think the second year would be a lottery drawing.

The NFL would NOT allow Carolina the number one pick this year...
AND to automaticly get Luck QB next year.

A lottery would suck...

say the full year was a wash...
we would still be a crappy team with the rights to a few unproven rookies
who have not played football for a full year now...
and that would include Tebow and Decker , etc...

It could happen.

This full year lockout/ lottery scenario could be a disaster for the Broncos.

We NEED this CBA deal to be done... sooner rather than later.

I would assume the loettery would not only go reverse order every other round, but there would be %'s of picks based on recrods over the last couple years or so, much like the NBA. I don't think they would just simply draw teams out of a hat.

I really don't think there will be a cba deal anytime soon. Even the more positive analysts who think a deal will come say they are months from anything close to a deal. They are so far apart right now it's scary.

topscribe
02-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Would it be a full 32-team lottery? Doesn't make sense.

Even the NBA is just a 7-team lottery . . .

-----

WARHORSE
02-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Id think the top ten teams would draw for the first pick. Maybe the top five.

Then picks 11 through 20 would draw for their order, then picks 21 through 32 the rest of the way.

But I dont care, its not gonna happen.

In our situation, we are a couple injuries away from the cellar next year anyway.

Carolina could easily repeat the year they just had.

To be honest, they very well be in the hunt for Newton. He brings playmaking, which is something that will help them in the situation theyre in.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2011, 09:15 PM
NBA is a 13 team lottery.

I would think they would do something, and not keep the same draft order for 2 years in a row. That doesn't make much sense.

topscribe
02-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Okay, I've researched it. The NBA lottery, initiated in 1985, gave each of seven
teams that didn't make the playoffs an equal chance of getting the top pick
in the draft. They went to 13 teams in 1996. Today, 14 teams take part in the
lottery, and the NBA now uses a weighted system, so the team with the most
losses theoretically has the best chance of winning the #1 selection.

I would hate for that to happen in the NFL . . .

Source: http://www.nba.com/history/draft_evolution.html

-----

PAINTERDAVE
02-19-2011, 09:47 PM
I wish the dang millionaires would just agree to a deal.

2nd day of meeting with the mediator...
and no good news. :tsk:

It just sucks... because in the end..
they will do what they have to do..
they will make thier decisions..
they will agree...
and it will be done.

It is simply ridonkulous that they are acting like chidren.

PS...

the whole lottery thing..
thanks guys, for straightening out what would possibly happen..

rcsodak
02-19-2011, 11:05 PM
"Yes. RT @cgoliver: If 2011 is completely locked out, does draft order for 2012 stay the same? Assuming the world hasn't ended through April."

I'm not being totally serious, but it would be kinda sweet to get the #2 pick 2 years in a row.

You do realize the 2011 picks wouldn't be with the team, right?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

sneakers
02-20-2011, 12:54 AM
I think they will still hold the draft even if there is a lockout...at least that is what they have said would happen.

FanInAZ
02-20-2011, 02:04 AM

Your assuming that Pats, Colts & Raiders will be successful in their college scouting and would therefore pick players that are actually the 3 best coming out of collage that year. The Pats have done an outstanding job with their drafts in recent years. As far as the Raiders: JaMarcus Russell, enough said. Other than to point out the fact JR isn't the only #1 pick of a draft to fail to meet expectations in recent memory.

PAINTERDAVE
02-20-2011, 04:14 AM

I don't think this is right, RC.

The draft will be held...
and the teams will have the rights to those players picked...
the contracts will simply be delayed until the CBA is done.

I think there WILL be a season and a deal...
I think they are posturing...
but when push comes to shove...
the players will have to fold...
and what is the use of folding AFTER starving yourself for a year?

The players will posture right up till the wall...
then they will blink.

SR
02-20-2011, 11:03 AM

More than likely they'd have a lottery and it would end up being a totally random draft order.

Northman
02-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Since we've never lost an entire season before I don't know if they would keep the same draft order. My guess is that they wouldn't. That being said I don't think it would be that sweet to have the number 2 pick two years in a row. That's lot money to invest in that high of a pick plus the fact just makes it that much longer before everyone get accustomed to the new systems.

Yea, i highly doubt the draft order would stay the same. Chances are they would do a lottery pick type senario if it really came down to it.

Lonestar
02-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Much ado about nothing the players will cave on the sticking points of the contract after missing a couple of paychecks.

They have zero income for the most part, while the owners have the TV money coming in to pay the bills.

This is all about money nothing more or less.

BroncoWave
02-20-2011, 11:26 AM

Link? I have not heard a single person say that.

Lonestar
02-20-2011, 11:44 AM

If there is no agreement by march so they can be signed draft choices would go back into the draft pool just like it is today.

If someone does not sign with the team that drafted them they are back in the pool the next year.

BroncoJoe
02-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I'd also imagine a lottery of some sort - The Panthers would have 32 chances to pick #1 again, Broncos 31, Bills 30, etc.

BroncoJoe
02-20-2011, 11:54 AM
If there is no agreement by march so they can be signed draft choices would go back into the draft pool just like it is today.

If someone does not sign with the team that drafted them they are back in the pool the next year.

Partially true - it would take all the way up until the next draft if they're not signed. In other words, even if the season is totally lost, the team that drafted a player has his rights until April 2012 (the next draft) and can sign them prior to that.

If no CBA is reached by the 2012 draft, then yes, they can go back into the draft. That's my understanding, anyway.

atwater27
02-20-2011, 12:05 PM

Thanks for that staggering nugget of insight.

PAINTERDAVE
02-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Really?

That is the first I ever heard of this idea.

I have heard repeatedly that the teams would draft
then hold the rights to the drafted rookies.

If the case is that they all go back in the pool...
as if the draft never happened..
then I would submit that the original order would or should be in place...
since there was no draft in 2011.

Under the "everybody back in the pool" scenario..
along with a lottery...
it would be like Carolina never got her 1st 2011 pick...

I can't see that happening.

Ravage!!!
02-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Much ado about nothing the players will cave on the sticking points of the contract after missing a couple of paychecks.

They have zero income for the most part, while the owners have the TV money coming in to pay the bills.

Wow.. really? About money, you say? I don't think ANYONE has realized this, I'm sooo glad you were here to point this out.

However, as it has been made apparent to you before, the TV contract you keep referring to is with Direct TV, not the TV networks, and its certainly not enough to pay their bills.

So I don't think the players will "cave" based on what you are saying, at all.

PAINTERDAVE
02-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Wow.. really? About money, you say? I don't think ANYONE has realized this, I'm sooo glad you were here to point this out.

However, as it has been made apparent to you before, the TV contract you keep referring to is with Direct TV, not the TV networks, and its certainly not enough to pay their bills.

In every other contract dispute.. it has ended with the players caving in.

This one will be no different.

It is a question of how bad will they starve themselves before folding?

rcsodak
02-20-2011, 04:10 PM
I think they will still hold the draft even if there is a lockout...at least that is what they have said would happen.

Not sure anybody has said there wouldn't be one.

rcsodak
02-20-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't think this is right, RC.

The draft will be held...
and the teams will have the rights to those players picked...
the contracts will simply be delayed until the CBA is done.

I think there WILL be a season and a deal...
I think they are posturing...
but when push comes to shove...
the players will have to fold...
and what is the use of folding AFTER starving yourself for a year?

The players will posture right up till the wall...
then they will blink.

Dave, my post was aimed at the one saying it'd be cool to have the #2 in successive years. My point was if there isn't a 2011 season, then the players that are drafted this year WON'T be signed----meaning they won't be on the roster.

rcsodak
02-20-2011, 04:18 PM

Say what? So you think the players drafted THIS YEAR, which teams are UNABLE to sign without a CBA, would STILL be on the roster next year at draft-time?

That was my point....with no CBA in place.

Now if they do get 'er done, then, yeah...it would be cool to have the #2 twice in a row...but it'll never happen that way. Not in the 'everybody gets a ribbon' times of this lifetime.

rcsodak
02-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Partially true - it would take all the way up until the next draft if they're not signed. In other words, even if the season is totally lost, the team that drafted a player has his rights until April 2012 (the next draft) and can sign them prior to that.

If no CBA is reached by the 2012 draft, then yes, they can go back into the draft. That's my understanding, anyway.

Are you sure of that, joe? Remember, the NFL DOES have a calendar year that is different than yours/mine. Their March is our "January".

rcsodak
02-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Really?

That is the first I ever heard of this idea.

I have heard repeatedly that the teams would draft
then hold the rights to the drafted rookies.

If the case is that they all go back in the pool...
as if the draft never happened..
then I would submit that the original order would or should be in place...
since there was no draft in 2011.

Under the "everybody back in the pool" scenario..
along with a lottery...
it would be like Carolina never got her 1st 2011 pick...

I can't see that happening.

:lite turns on:
;)

rcsodak
02-20-2011, 04:27 PM

Glad you're never cynical. :coffee:

PAINTERDAVE
02-20-2011, 04:34 PM
These spoiled brats on both sides just need to work out a dang deal.....

Lonestar
02-20-2011, 08:02 PM

My understanding is they have until the "new" contract year to sign the prior years draft choice. which is in MArch as it stands the 4th actually.

I would not see any reason for that to change.

That gives other teams a chance to eye ball them (private workouts) prior to the draft and their agent a chance to chat with other teams...

Lonestar
02-20-2011, 08:13 PM
These spoiled brats on both sides just need to work out a dang deal.....

Yes and no . the owners are risking huge amounts of money when they buy a team.

Billions after the interest is incurred. they have a huge investment and should be able to make a fair return on that investment .
Other wise why risk the money it would be wiser to stash that money on government tax free bonds making 5-8 percent.

If you had the funds would you not want to make at least what you could earn by doing the safe thing?

Now for the players they are getting paid fr their skill way beyond what they could make flipping burgers or dealing drugs on the corner.

Face it about 80% of these clowns would be doing that IF they did not have football or Basketball to pay for their college education.

that is why most NFL players are broke 2 years after leaving the game.
They are morons when comes to handling money.

That is why Jake could walk away instead of bling, cars and clothes. he drove a used element or what ever it was called , dressed in jeans and t-shirts and lived live the way HE WANTED to.

Lonestar
02-20-2011, 08:27 PM

Actually the TV contract is with all the networks. the lawyer they hired several years ago included that little item in. He had done the same thing with NHL IIRC a few years before.

That is way more than they need to pay the bills considering they will have 60% of their expenses walking the pickets lines..

I've been in business a long time and labor expenses are generally 48-55% of the income.

That is how I understand it.. Maybe you should check it out better before blowing steam.

Also in every labor dispute I can remember labor lost money on the new contract during a strike when you consider the lost wages of those strikes .

Once you lose a paycheck you never get it back.

In fact in every one that I have been involved in the employees have always gotten less per hour than my final offer. For the most part each time the revenue for the business increased at a disproportionally higher rate as my customers were about 90% management and actually crossed the picket lines from the competition to break the unions..

now back to iggy

The Glue Factory
02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Your assuming that Pats, Colts & Raiders will be successful in their college scouting and would therefore pick players that are actually the 3 best coming out of collage that year. The Pats have done an outstanding job with their drafts in recent years. As far as the Raiders: JaMarcus Russell, enough said. Other than to point out the fact JR isn't the only #1 pick of a draft to fail to meet expectations in recent memory.

And then there's the Raiders selection of JanikOWski in the first round a few years ago. A place kicker in the first round? REALLY? Thank God Uncle Al owns the Raiders.

If there's no football until after NEXT years draft, why not base draft order based on the average record for the past 5 seasons? Keeps the teams that need the help for the high draft pick there and being somewant equitable and fair. How's the best way to get a hold of the Commish?

atwater27
02-21-2011, 01:48 PM
now back to iggy

Go post in a room by yourself. Wouldn't be any different with so many people here on iggy. Just don't contradict yourself or you might have to ignore yourself too.

Shananahan
02-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Now for the players they are getting paid fr their skill way beyond what they could make flipping burgers or dealing drugs on the corner.

Face it about 80% of these clowns would be doing that IF they did not have football or Basketball to pay for their college education.
This is a pretty ignorant statement.

rcsodak
02-21-2011, 02:08 PM
And then there's the Raiders selection of JanikOWski in the first round a few years ago. A place kicker in the first round? REALLY? Thank God Uncle Al owns the Raiders.

If there's no football until after NEXT years draft, why not base draft order based on the average record for the past 5 seasons? Keeps the teams that need the help for the high draft pick there and being somewant equitable and fair. How's the best way to get a hold of the Commish?

So you want denver middle of the pack and kc/oak drafting top 5-10? :eek:

rcsodak
02-21-2011, 02:12 PM
This is a pretty ignorant statement.Why? Most are passed thru college. I can think of a couple ex-broncos that were selling sub sandwiches and sunglasses....oh yeah, and drugs.
Not sure of his % though....could be lower/higher/dead_on.

The Glue Factory
02-21-2011, 03:39 PM
So you want denver middle of the pack and kc/oak drafting top 5-10? :eek:

I didn't say I wanted that but that basis would be better than a purely random lottery, even if that lottery broke it down by ranges of this years draft.

I'd much rather be middle of the pack than a good chance of being bottom half. I'm not sure I'd want two top five picks in consecutive years, IF current contract negotiations would still be in effect. If next years draft would be under the new CBA which included a rookie cap, I'd be all for having the #1 pick in 2012.

TXBRONC
02-21-2011, 03:57 PM

He also selected punter Ray Guy in the first round.