PDA

View Full Version : Champ taking out #1 WR

ydave77
09-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Can someone explain to me why we dont have Champ line up over the other teams #1? If we coudl have locked down Bowe, we basically woudl have locked down their passing game. Whats the point of having a shut-down corner, if all he ends up doing is shutting down the other teams #2 WR, so their #1 can go wild?

I have wondered this for a while though...many teams who have a stud CB have that CB shadow the other teams#1 WR out of the huddle, and the other CB just lines up over the other WR. It doesn't have to change any other aspect of our defense, just flip the CB's so Champ always starts lining up over the other teams #1. If we are playing zone then someone else may pick him up, or maybe he will be in Champs zone. But at least champ will be in the area of the other teams #1, so he can potentially make a play.
Frustrating, frustrating game.

BroncoWave
09-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah, that was really stupid. Bowe was just shitting on Bly and Williams pretty much the entire game. And the only times he was thrown to and didn't catch it was the 2 plays where he caught it but landed out of bounds.

NameUsedBefore
09-28-2008, 04:32 PM
As far as I can tell Bailey will always play on the left side of the field (his left).

honz
09-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Our D was not the problem in this game...4 TOs and and only 1 TD was our problem.

However, I believe Champ was on Gonzo for much of the game.

ydave77
09-28-2008, 04:46 PM
As far as I can tell Bailey will always play on the left side of the field (his left).

Yeah it seems like that, the question is why?

SR
09-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Champ plays his left side and his left side only, unless the WR motions to the other side.

Rex
09-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Our D was not the problem in this game...4 TOs and and only 1 TD was our problem.

However, I believe Champ was on Gonzo for much of the game.

Except every time Gonzalez caught a ball.

The defense is a problem when they cannot stop 2 fuggin players...LJ and Bowe. The Chiefs have a 40 y/o rag arm QB with 8 min to throw because the pass rush is softer than one of Nut's bunnies. They ran that same sorry ass tired play on 3 rd down time after time after time to Bowe and if he had not been out of bounds it would have worked almost every time.

Put Champ anywhere on the field that the opposing defense will find a weakness when the DL sucks so bad that I they cannot read the QBs jersey!

BroncoWave
09-28-2008, 06:01 PM

Champ plays his left side and his left side only, unless the WR motions to the other side.

If he's as great a corner as everyone says he is, I don't see how he'd have a problem switching sides.

Watchthemiddle
09-28-2008, 06:04 PM
If he's as great a corner as everyone says he is, I don't see how he'd have a problem switching sides.

He is a great corner, but you would think that if he was that great it wouldn't matter what side of the ball he lined up on. This baffles me.

SR
09-28-2008, 06:04 PM

I believe he ought to. He should be covering what ever side of the field the best WR is on. But that's just not how he rolls.

dogfish
09-28-2008, 06:18 PM

actually, back in 2006 we DID flip him in certain situations-- the one that i specifically remember was that when we played oakland, they would flip him when moss lined up on the offense's left side. . . he's done it before, and is certainly more than capable of doing it again if that brainless idiot slowik would dial it up. . .

good thread, dave. . . .

Dean
09-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Unless you are going to play straight man defense teams will just motion to get the match-up that they want. If Champ were follow the motion across, the defense can have a weakness of a LB trying to cover man up against deep routes.

I believe the theory is that with Champ on the left teams tend to stay away from his side. The coverage zones should be rolled toward Bly lessening the area each D-back has to cover. I've got to agree that it hasn't been an outstanding success so far.

Magnificent Seven
09-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Broncos should have kept Hamza Abdullah.