PDA

View Full Version : PFT Report: Broncos tried to trade Harris last season

rationalfan
02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Sorry if this has posted inside some thread, but it was new to me:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/broncos-tried-to-trade-ryan-harris-last-season/

Dirk
02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Not surprising. I think Josh tried to trade Bowlen at one point...could be wrong though. :lol:

silkamilkamonico
02-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Not surprising. I think Josh tried to trade Bowlen at one point...could be wrong though. :lol:

I wish he would have succeeded. Bowlen is starting to have very similiar success to Al Davis.

Dirk
02-18-2011, 02:13 PM
I wish he would have succeeded. Bowlen is starting to have very similiar success to Al Davis.

:tsk:

Sorry dude but NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE...will ever sniff the bungling ways of Al Davis. Let alone Bowlen.

silkamilkamonico
02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
:tsk:

Sorry dude but NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE...will ever sniff the bungling ways of Al Davis. Let alone Bowlen.

I don't know. Maybe not quite that bad, but Al Davis does have more playoff wins and AFCWest championships than Pat Bowlen does since the turn of the millennium, and that was a decade ago.

cardoso
02-18-2011, 02:58 PM
all the trades in the world couldn't help that dumb ass coach figure out that he was the problem not the players.

Ravage!!!
02-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Harris is an injury waiting to happen. When he's healthy he can be good, but thats rarely the case, starting with his rookie season.

BroncoJoe
02-18-2011, 03:18 PM

I don't know. Maybe not quite that bad, but Al Davis does have more playoff wins and AFCWest championships than Pat Bowlen does since the turn of the millennium, and that was a decade ago.

Seriously? One mistake in 25 years and you're all over his ass? Get a life dude.

TXBRONC
02-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Harris is an injury waiting to happen. When he's healthy he can be good, but thats rarely the case, starting with his rookie season.

That is worrisome but I think I would still give him chance. When Harris got back into the line up this year line had a lot more success.

silkamilkamonico
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Seriously? One mistake in 25 years and you're all over his ass? Get a life dude.

Are you insinuating that Denver has more playoff wins and division championships than Oakland since the turn of the millennium?

Reading comprehension is your friend on this one.

silkamilkamonico
02-18-2011, 04:23 PM
That is worrisome but I think I would still give him chance. When Harris got back into the line up this year line had a lot more success.

The thing with Harris, our oline was absolutely dreadful without him. I'm not necessarily against trading him because Ravage is right about his injury history, but damn, if he is not with Denver next year how important does RT become?

Denver is already dangerously thin in a lot of areas in a terrible year to be so, and losing Harris all of a sudden makes oline a priority again. It probably already is with his injury history.

rcsodak
02-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Aren't RT's a dime-a-dozen?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
02-18-2011, 05:42 PM
The thing with Harris, our oline was absolutely dreadful without him. I'm not necessarily against trading him because Ravage is right about his injury history, but damn, if he is not with Denver next year how important does RT become?

Denver is already dangerously thin in a lot of areas in a terrible year to be so, and losing Harris all of a sudden makes oline a priority again. It probably already is with his injury history.

He's a FA. I understand fully he's had a hard time staying healthy but when he is very good. I'm just of the opinion that it I would to see the Broncos give him chance. If they let him walk then yeah it's becomes a need to fill but imo the main focus is going have to be on the defensive line.

Krugan
02-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Aren't RT's a dime-a-dozen?

I guess this will depend on who we have at QB.

or so I would assume with a lefty the RT becomes everyone elses LT.

Maybe I got to much fresh air today, but we better make sure we have a good one, and as others have said im nto sure Harris will be there week one or week 18 with his injuries.

Ravage!!!
02-18-2011, 06:42 PM

Yeah.. but I think RT is already a badly needed position. Imean if Harris is hurt (WHEN he is hurt) we need someone to take care of the backside of our lefty QB. Harris is very solid when starting, but when your starter is injury prone, and guarding the backside of your QB, we need reliability as well. So I think a stud RT right now is an absolute must to be looking for.

I personally believe we HAVE given him the chance, and he's performed admirably when in the lineup. But its keeping him in the lineup that is the worry, not his play. I don't think we continue to rely on a guy that hasn't yet proven he can make it through a season.

PAINTERDAVE
02-19-2011, 12:21 PM
"Elway also said he'd love to have star Champ Bailey back next year but wasn't sure the team's budget would allow that. Elway sounded like he believed he'd be looking for a replacement in the draft or free agency for right tackle Ryan Harris, who stabilized the offensive line and protected Tebow's blind side but will be a free agent. "

Read more: John Elway rejoins Broncos as football czar - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_17015571#ixzz1EQT8nQut

I think Harris is as good as gone. If they wanted him to stay...
they'd sign him to a new contract now.
That is one of the few things the team can do right now...
is sign their own free agents.

I bet the team plans to draft a replacement just like the article said.

Me? I think they'd be smarter to sign him to a few years...
lock him up... and then IF they wanted to let him go we'd get value in a trade.

Sign him so we could either use him... OR trade him.

Letting him simply walk after only his first 3 seasons in the NFL...
yes, seasons with both success and injuries...
that seems like a bad move.

Example is - Orton was locked up... so now we will be able to trade him.

With all the uncertainty this year... it seems like signing him is the smart move.

I wonder, though, is he wanting a TON of cash?
If his contract is at all reasonable.. SIGN HIM.

Lonestar
02-19-2011, 02:11 PM
I guess this will depend on who we have at QB.

or so I would assume with a lefty the RT becomes everyone elses LT.

Maybe I got to much fresh air today, but we better make sure we have a good one, and as others have said im nto sure Harris will be there week one or week 18 with his injuries.

Much has been made about the ORT being the blindside protector but one of the coaches commented on it by saying the premier rushers are on the olt side and they rarely change them up just to go after a lefty.

I have been saying for a long time that Harris has to go as iirc he has been out almost as many games with injuries as he has actually started. About 48% iirc.

Maybe he would be good as a backup but you do not pay BU huge buck like he is going to want.

He is no loss IMHO

Lonestar
02-19-2011, 02:27 PM
they'd sign him to a new contract now.
That is one of the few things the team can do right now...
is sign their own free agents. I bet the team plans to draft a replacement just like the article said.
Me? I think they'd be smarter to sign him to a few years... lock him up... and then IF they wanted to let him go we'd get value in a trade. Sign him so we could either use him... OR trade him.Letting him simply walk after only his first 3 seasons in the NFL...yes, seasons with both success and injuries...that seems like a bad move.
Example is - Orton was locked up... so now we will be able to trade it seems like signing him is the smart move.ni wonder, though, is he wanting a TON of cash?
If his contract is at all reasonable.. SIGN HIM.

The key is does any other team think he is worth a 3 Rd pick plus his contract and we still eat any bonus money.

Myself I'd rather let him walk and get whatever comp picks we can for losing him.
He is not a long term starter and ORT are infinitely easier ro find than OLT is.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2011, 04:18 PM
The key is does any other team think he is worth a 3 Rd pick plus his contract and we still eat any bonus money.

Myself I'd rather let him walk and get whatever comp picks we can for losing him.
He is not a long term starter and ORT are infinitely easier ro find than OLT is.

Unless CLady moves from LT to RT, RT immediately becomes our top oline priority simply because Tebow is left handed.

TXBRONC
02-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Unless CLady moves from LT to RT, RT immediately becomes our top oline priority simply because Tebow is left handed.

I concur but imo it would still rank behind priorities on the defensive line.

turftoad
02-22-2011, 10:11 AM
It was the former coaching staff that tried to trade him. I'm sure the new (and more experienced) staff will re evaluate things. I think we keep him. If, and I say if, he can stay healthy, he;s not a bad player and I don't think he makes huge dollars. He just may be the best option.

Fan in Exile
02-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Wasn't there a DP article saying that we were in contract talks with Harris?

TXBRONC
02-22-2011, 10:30 AM
It was the former coaching staff that tried to trade him. I'm sure the new (and more experienced) staff will re evaluate things. I think we keep him. If, and I say if, he can stay healthy, he;s not a bad player and I don't think he makes huge dollars. He just may be the best option.

I hope the front office will try to keep him and if they do I hope that he's willing to stay. The line play was much better with Harris in the line up and since we are going back to zone blocking scheme might be appealing to him.

Ravage!!!
02-22-2011, 10:44 AM
I hope the front office will try to keep him and if they do I hope that he's willing to stay. The line play was much better with Harris in the line up and since we are going back to zone blocking scheme might be appealing to him.

There lies the problem

TXBRONC
02-22-2011, 10:46 AM
There lies the problem

I know it's risk but it's a lot less risky to roll the dice with Harris than it is with someone like Bob Sanders.

Lonestar
02-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Most top rushers are from cladys side and they do not flop sides perse because of the arm of the QB. They stay at home and rush where they are best from. clady will stay at olt. IMO

Lonestar
02-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Look at how many games he has missed due to boo boos.

The oline wS better when he was plYing late lat year but IMO it was mainly because beadles was playing OG RATHER than ORT.

He Made Walton better also kuper was stronger late in the year.

Can't count how many QB hurries came from the harris side of the LOS.

TXBRONC
02-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Beadles didn't make Walton better experience did. So who do we put over there if not Harris? Beadles obviously doesn't belong at right tackle and if we let Harris go that's just one more need to fill.

Lonestar
02-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Let me Add that losing harris to FA gives us a chance at a comp pick in the draft a 3rd rounder would be nice.

Also add that beadles playing olg where he was for most of the preseason games and for the most part when he was not covering Harris.

When players get used to the guys moves next him that is invaluable on build confidence.

TXBRONC
02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
I haven't read anything that would indicate that the Broncos could pick any kind draft pick if Harris is allowed to walk.

SpringsBroncoFan
02-22-2011, 04:41 PM

Maybe in terms of FA's this year with all the players freed due to CBA but you still have to pay them...

Harris wants 5 million, what can you get for that since we aren't paying that much for budget reasons? And what's it worth? I haven't looked at the FA's but in terms of draft:

if any of the top 4 OT's drop to 36, I'd say grab them (unless they identify a guy they like lower). That's Castonzo, Smith, Solder, & Carimi.

Sherrod I'd worry about actually being better at OG but he's got the tools. At 36, I'd assume the team would look hard at S & CB over Sherrod given we'd already taken Fairley or Dareus.

Pinkston I'd also worry about being better at OG but he's probably worth a 3rd or 4th. Personally, I like Gilbert better - possibly worth a 3rd, definately a 4th.

I'd put Carpenter right behind Gilbert except his speed is a concern(slow 1st step).

Cannon & Franklin have been OG's and their speed concerns me, along with weight for Cannon. Both would be no higher than a 4th for me.

Love, Barksdale, Brewer forget it.

Newton, Hall, Hairston, Smith probably all worth a 5th.

Reid is intriquing, I'd peg him at a 5th for now depending on combine results. They could all move up a bit depending on combine but that's probably it...

Main problem is footwork, ZBS & pass protection - most of the guys in this draft just don't have it.

Lonestar
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Sorry but quoting on an iphone is almost impossible.

I do not know of what FAs there are have not been paying attention to other teams.

But I heard that there are 246 unrestricted FA after the um capped year last years that rall restrict the normal guys that would have been.

So am guessing that there will be some keepers in there as I'm hoping that the new coach il see him for what he is an IR waiting to happen.

Been on the team 4 years only played every game in one OC those years 2008. Ironically every guy on the oline did that year.

But even so he was beat alot on QB hurries alot last year when he came back.

I guess those that argued having a strict diet years ago after being drafted may be proven correct. As he seems to be just a to injury from IR each year.

rcsodak
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Let me Add that losing harris to FA gives us a chance at a comp pick in the draft a 3rd rounder would be nice.

Also add that beadles playing olg where he was for most of the preseason games and for the most part when he was not covering Harris.

When players get used to the guys moves next him that is invaluable on build confidence.
Hard to bamk on a comp pick, Ls. It depends on his next contract minus whatever denver brings in and signs, right? Plus any comp wouldn't be realized until the next draft, most likely.
Give him a full offseason with no injuries, we all might be surprised.

Lonestar
02-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Hard to bamk on a comp pick, Ls. It depends on his next contract minus whatever denver brings in and signs, right? Plus any comp wouldn't be realized until the next draft, most likely.
Give him a full offseason with no injuries, we all might be surprised.
He has been injured 3 out of his 4 years and missed time in fliers due to q back injury and God only knows what else.

The term injury prone is in the dictionary see Ryan Harris.