PDA

View Full Version : Will a mediator help?

Dean
02-17-2011, 06:46 PM
the NFL/Player's union will have a mediator to attempt to reach an agreement. I think that it is a positive move.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-players-union-agree-to-mediation-federal-for-labor-talks-CBA-021711/?GT1=39002

topscribe
02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Something's better than nothing, which is what I have seen done so far . . .

-----

BigSarge87
02-17-2011, 06:59 PM
"I had it first! I'm telling Mom!!!"

"Fine, tell Mom, you a-hole! It belongs to me anyways."

"Okay boys, sit down and tell me what happened, let's see if we can find a way to share."

underrated29
02-17-2011, 07:00 PM
I tried to post the vidoe of wedding crashers in mediation....

But big surprise I failed.:tsk:

BigSarge87
02-17-2011, 07:06 PM
It's the thought that counts.

Dean
02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
I would feel better about the process if the mediation was binding or if the mediator would reveal his findings if one side or the other wouldn't give any ground. I wonder if the mediator will have access to the owners books? So many questions!

However, as top said anything is better than nothing which is what we had before.

BroncoWave
02-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Schefter said he doesn't think the mediator will help at all at this point.

OrangeHoof
02-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Upshaw wasn't a strong leader - which was great because the deals got done and the games got played. The new guy I just don't know enough to know how much sway he has with the players. His main problem is that while most of the union is African-American, many of the richest players are white quarterbacks who broke ranks back in 1987 (including Elway) and came back before the strike was over. Once the "stars" crossed, the union's efforts were doomed.

So, what you have to ask is whether guys like Manning and Brady want to miss game checks for the "cause" and whether the union bosses will be able to keep them in line.

TXBRONC
02-17-2011, 09:29 PM
It kind of depends on what kind of power the mediator has.

PAINTERDAVE
02-17-2011, 09:45 PM
That year.. the players were striking.
Montana crossed that picket line immediatly.
He wanted no part of the strike.
That year the Broncos went to the Super Bowl.

This seems to be a different situation...
the owners are talking about locking out the players.

I don't think there will be scab games in a lockout.

Deal - or NO FOOTBALL. Period.

That is what I think.

topscribe
02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
That year.. the players were striking.
Montana crossed that picket line immediatly.
He wanted no part of the strike.
That year the Broncos went to the Super Bowl.

This seems to be a different situation...
the owners are talking about locking out the players.

I don't think there will be scab games in a lockout.

Deal - or NO FOOTBALL. Period.

That is what I think.

That's the way it looks, Painter.

That scabfest was pretty much of a comedy show, anyway. I don't think they
would want any part of another one, even were it feasible, which it is not, IMO.

-----

NFLLockout
02-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Hey Guys -
I'm here on behalf of the NFL Players Association, and just wanted to poke my head in and let everyone know that we are trying our best of to have a season next year! We are hoping, just like you guys are, that some progress is made with the mediator involved.

PAINTERDAVE
02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Hey Guys -
I'm here on behalf of the NFL Players Association, and just wanted to poke my head in and let everyone know that we are trying our best of to have a season next year! We are hoping, just like you guys are, that some progress is made with the mediator involved.

If you are who you say you are...

please relay this message...

GET A DEAL DONE.

DO NOT JACK THE NFL SEASON.

Understand, please , that in the end.. you all will settle on some deal...
there is no reason to starve yourselves in a lockout...
and to ruin the season for the fans and damage the teams best interest.

The owners hold the deck... you gotta play the hand they deal.
I can't believe that if the players would negotiate that the owners wont give some concessions.

Not communicating is not gonna accomplish anything.

PAINTERDAVE
02-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Hey Guys -

Is this Kyle Orton, by chance?

Lonestar
02-20-2011, 09:06 PM

GET A DEAL DONE.

I can't believe that if the players would negotiate that the owners won't give some concessions.

That is the facts the owners hold ALL of the cards (money) no way they are going sign another bad contract like last time.

rcsodak
02-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Is this Kyle Orton, by chance?
Doubtful. KO is udumacated.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

NFLLockout
02-24-2011, 10:21 AM

GET A DEAL DONE.

I can't believe that if the players would negotiate that the owners wont give some concessions.

Look, everyone wants to see football next year, and I think that's the bottom line. We're working as hard as we can to get a deal done. There's only 7 days left on the current CBA, and hopefully we will be able to reach an agreement by then.

Lonestar
02-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Only way the deal gets sone isif the players cave. Other wise IT will be a lockout tillmthey caveafwr missing a few paydays in sep.

They get out of OTAs and training camp this way. Most players hAte those anyway. And do not get paid much for them anyway.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

chazoe60
02-24-2011, 10:41 AM
No, I think a meteor would just destroy everything. I mean, I love football as much as the next guy but just because we may have a lockout doesn't mean I want to see the devastation that a meteor would bring. Some of you guys are way too serious.

NFLLockout
02-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Hey, I thought you fans might find this article (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-richardson/nfl-lockout_b_824801.html)of interest. It's by Tony Richardson (Jets), and it's definitely worth a read. Let me know what you think of it. Thanks.

vettesplus
02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
i say just cancel the season and let all these greedy players, owners and league officials sit around for a year and think about what they are loosing... greed sure is a powerful word!!!!! my flame suit is on so have at it.....

NFLLockout
03-01-2011, 10:51 AM
i say just cancel the season and let all these greedy players, owners and league officials sit around for a year and think about what they are loosing... greed sure is a powerful word!!!!! my flame suit is on so have at it.....

So you wouldn't mind a year without football? Don't you want to see what John Fox is going to do with the team? If anything, this upcoming year has the potential to be an exciting one for Broncos fans. I can't speak for you, but personally I wouldn't want to give that up.

PAINTERDAVE
03-01-2011, 06:28 PM
I hope the union De-Certifies...
and the case goes to court for an injunction against the owners doing a lockout.

Let a judge decide.

Screw BOTH sides... they needed to get a deal done...
they have done NOTHING but posture and prance around the issues.

Let a judge decide it.

hotcarl
03-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I hope the union De-Certifies...
and the case goes to court for an injunction against the owners doing a lockout.

Let a judge decide.

Screw BOTH sides... they needed to get a deal done...
they have done NOTHING but posture and prance around the issues.

Let a judge decide it.

i cant wait for rockies season im not going to think about this for one second

P.S. labor unions (in general) are getting a good rep in wisconsin (but nice super bowl)

P.S.S. burn it all to the ground

Dean
03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
With the proceeds from the TV contracts being blocked, something should get done. Now, both sides would feel the pinch if a deal is not worked out.:beer:

The playing field has just been leveled.

PAINTERDAVE
03-02-2011, 12:17 AM
With the proceeds from the TV contracts being blocked, something should get done. Now, both sides would feel the pinch if a deal is not worked out.:beer:

The playing field has just been leveled.

Yes... this is pretty good news.

I hope the deal gets done... BEFORE the draft. :elefant:

vettesplus
03-02-2011, 12:27 AM
So you wouldn't mind a year without football? Don't you want to see what John Fox is going to do with the team? If anything, this upcoming year has the potential to be an exciting one for Broncos fans. I can't speak for you, but personally I wouldn't want to give that up.

wouldn't bother me one bit,still got the avs, rockies, nascar and there are so many other things to do on sunday...

Rex
03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
The NFLPA and the owners are like the Broncos Forums mods.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
WASHINGTON -- A large group of NFL owners and players' union president Kevin Mawae participated in mediated labor talks for the first time Wednesday, attending a meeting that ended with fewer than 35 hours left until the collective bargaining agreement expires.

The ninth session at the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service came on the same day that the league's 32 team owners were gathering at a hotel about 25 miles away in Chantilly, Va. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and all 10 members of the owners' labor committee left the mediation after about four hours of talks.

Members of both sides were planning to return later Wednesday evening to resume mediation.

After the day's early session, the NFL contingent got into a fleet of a half-dozen black SUVs and headed to Chantilly to begin filling in other owners on the status of the negotiations. When they arrived, none of the owners spoke to reporters before entering the meeting.

full article - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6173938

Dean
03-03-2011, 07:53 PM
The deadline may be extended after the owners changed their offer.

I wish that they would tell us how the proposal was changed.

Check that there will be a 24 hour extension.

slim
03-03-2011, 07:56 PM
The NFLPA and the owners are like the Broncos Forums mods.

I don't get it.

NFLLockout
03-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Here's an awesome article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6177574)on ESPN I thought you fans might be interested in reading.

What does everyone think is going to happen by the end of this week?

Dean
03-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Here's an awesome article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6177574)on ESPN I thought you fans might be interested in reading.

What does everyone think is going to happen by the end of this week?

I look at both sides and wonder if there are distinct levels of greed or are they both just considered greedy? I don't see a "good light" to view this situation in.

Git 'er done.

PAINTERDAVE
03-11-2011, 12:29 AM
looks like we are headed to a lockout.

I wish they would go ahead and break off talks...
de-certify..
get a court injunction..

let the rat ******** work this crap out behind the scenes over the next few months.

Because...

According to both Peter King and Mike Florio if the union decertifies and we enter the litigation stage
it's likely that the courts will issue an injunction and the 2011 league year will begin by mid-April.
Meaning free agency will finally happen!

Dean
03-11-2011, 07:05 AM
If Rotoworld can be believed, we may at least have some trades to cuss and discuss.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/201670/report-trades-free-agency-allowed-by-april

PAINTERDAVE
03-11-2011, 11:11 AM
From the same rotoworld citation.

March 9th

Owners and Union agree on a rookie cap....

________
Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports that the NFL and NFLPA have agreed on a "basic" compromise that would install a rookie wage scale to replace the current rookie salary cap.
The "rookie cap" is totally ineffective. The wage scale would require teams to sign players to only three-year deals if they're drafted after the first round. First rounders would get four-year contracts, but the monetary commitment will be much less. For instance, the owners proposed a $3.8 million-per-year max contract for the No. 1 overall pick. Top pick contracts will be quite a bit more once the players union has its say, but it still sounds like the deals will be a far cry from Sam Bradford's $13 million-a-year blockbuster signed last year.

Dean
03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
The answer to my original post came today. Not only was the answer no but it was a resounding
Hell No!