PDA

View Full Version : The NFL Draft Without a CBA

WARHORSE
02-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Dont be shocked if we take a player like AJ Green.

Green has unbelievable talent and many have spoken that they grade him as the top prospect all things considered.

Without the CBA, the Denver Broncos cannot trade Kyle Orton, nor can any NFL team trade a player.

But dont you think there will be deals made with a wink and a nod?

Hypothetical:

San Fran wants AJ Green. They make a deal with Denver, telling Denver to take Green with the second pick.

The deal: San Frans pick at 7, their first next year, their second this year.

Denver gives up Orton and AJ Green.

They cant actually pull this off without a CBA in place, so they will agree to trade down the road.

When San Fran picks at 7, Denver tells them Von Miller, Robert Quinn, Dareus or whomever they want. Same goes for their second.

After the CBA is in place, they swap the players agreed upon.

If this is plausible and legal, there will be a heckuva lot of talking and
hypothetical deals in place prior to the draft actually taking place.

So watching the draft, you wouldnt know there was a deal in place.

All you would know is: With the second pick in the NFL draft, the Denver Broncos select, AJ Green from Georgia.............BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

heh heh

San Fran would hear: With the seventh pick in the NFL draft, the San Francisco 49ers select, Von Miller..........BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

After the CBA is in place, headlines read: 49er-Bronco Mega Deal

The Denver Broncos have traded number 2 overall pick AJ Green and Kyle Orton to the San Francisco 49ers for Von Miller, Joe Whomever(second rounder, and San Franciscos first round selection in next years draft.

This of course, would all be moot if Carolina takes Green number one overall.

In that case, perhaps there would be another deal in place for someone else.

All I know is, Im gonna be prepared to hear a whole lotta funky picks come April if theres no CBA in place.:salute:

Broncos Baby.

underrated29
02-17-2011, 03:39 PM
and without a cba in place. Sfo-could change their minds and we get stuck with another WR, and once again lose out on DL help.

underrated29
02-17-2011, 03:41 PM
If thre is no cba this year. Do we have the same draft for next year? or is it like hockey where it is a lottery?

WARHORSE
02-17-2011, 03:58 PM
If thre is no cba this year. Do we have the same draft for next year? or is it like hockey where it is a lottery?

I wonder.

I would think it would be the same.

Sounds like a question for a professional.:D

dogfish
02-17-2011, 04:07 PM
and without a cba in place. Sfo-could change their minds and we get stuck with another WR, and once again lose out on DL help.

yep-- that's as obvious as slim's beer gut. . .

we won't be taking anyone at #2 in hopes of trading them later, that's 100% fantasy. . .

silkamilkamonico
02-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Green has unbelievable talent and many have spoken that they grade him as the top prospect all things considered.

Hmm.

- defense in shambles with holes all over the place
- defensive minded coach who only likes to run the ball
- WR is probably our deepest unit on the team
- not only did we take a WR in the first round last year, but in the second round 3 years ago, and neither are even our best WR on the team.
- Green is not a top 2 talent. You do not draft AJ Green in the same slot that Calvin Johnson was drafted. That's asburd.

Not only would I be damn surprised if we took a WR, but if we take a WR the organization should have their head examined, and deemed idioitc for having no identity or plan of direction.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't get far enough to see the trade with SF.

rcsodak
02-17-2011, 04:53 PM

Without the CBA, the Denver Broncos cannot trade Kyle Orton, nor can any NFL team trade a player.

But dont you think there will be deals made with a wink and a nod?

Hypothetical:

San Fran wants AJ Green. They make a deal with Denver, telling Denver to take Green with the second pick.

The deal: San Frans pick at 7, their first next year, their second this year.

Denver gives up Orton and AJ Green.

They cant actually pull this off without a CBA in place, so they will agree to trade down the road.

When San Fran picks at 7, Denver tells them Von Miller, Robert Quinn, Dareus or whomever they want. Same goes for their second.

After the CBA is in place, they swap the players agreed upon.

If this is plausible and legal, there will be a heckuva lot of talking and
hypothetical deals in place prior to the draft actually taking place.

So watching the draft, you wouldnt know there was a deal in place.

All you would know is: With the second pick in the NFL draft, the Denver Broncos select, AJ Green from Georgia.............BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

heh heh

San Fran would hear: With the seventh pick in the NFL draft, the San Francisco 49ers select, Von Miller..........BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

After the CBA is in place, headlines read: 49er-Bronco Mega Deal

The Denver Broncos have traded number 2 overall pick AJ Green and Kyle Orton to the San Francisco 49ers for Von Miller, Joe Whomever(second rounder, and San Franciscos first round selection in next years draft.

This of course, would all be moot if Carolina takes Green number one overall.

In that case, perhaps there would be another deal in place for someone else.

All I know is, Im gonna be prepared to hear a whole lotta funky picks come April if theres no CBA in place.:salute:

Broncos Baby.

NFL ≠ NBA
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

cuzz4169
02-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Hmm.

- defense in shambles with holes all over the place
- defensive minded coach who only likes to run the ball
- WR is probably our deepest unit on the team
- not only did we take a WR in the first round last year, but in the second round 3 years ago, and neither are even our best WR on the team.
- Green is not a top 2 talent. You do not draft AJ Green in the same slot that Calvin Johnson was drafted. That's asburd.

Not only would I be damn surprised if we took a WR, but if we take a WR the organization should have their head examined, and deemed idioitc for having no identity or plan of direction.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't get far enough to see the trade with SF.

Shot I think Green is the only sure slam dunk pick in draft and as for talent is very comparable to calvin johnson. This dude is an absalute beast. Not saying I want denver to draft him we are fine at wr.

Off the subject....One thing I do know being a gators fan if Tebow is starter we need to go hard after a TE tim loves his TE. Zack Miller would be my guy. Witten talent more athletic but was stuck on raiders.

PAINTERDAVE
02-18-2011, 12:12 PM
It certainly would be no surprise if the Broncos would do something like this...

Orton IS gonna be in demand...
the #2 pick is worth it for the 49's to trade up...
it would only be ONE deal with ONE team..
and if these two owners get in the same room and are involved in the final handshake on the deal..

yeah.. it would not surprise me.

They may also... make the agreement to trade the draft picks straight up right away....
to look like the deal is on the up and up...
and then throw Orton in for some other shlub 49's player
once the CBA deal is done down the road - to fulfill the secret agreement...

arapaho2
02-18-2011, 01:37 PM
i though it was even without the cba in place we can trade draft picks

so sanfran could just trade us their 7th , 2nd and 3rd rounder straight up for the 2nd

without a current player involved

slim
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
yep-- that's as obvious as slim's beer gut. . .

we won't be taking anyone at #2 in hopes of trading them later, that's 100% fantasy. . .

It's not my fault, I am a victim of poor genes and an uncaring society.

Also, there is no way we draft Green.

PAINTERDAVE
02-18-2011, 04:02 PM

so sanfran could just trade us their 7th , 2nd and 3rd rounder straight up for the 2nd

We can trade draft picks. The premise here is that they would not do the deal with out Orton...

See in a regular off season... we'd easily be able to trade down by throwing Orton in......

but this screwed up year is jacking the Broncos worse than any team in the league...

we have trash to trade...
we have that #2 pick..
we are rebuilding...

just bad timing.

rcsodak
02-18-2011, 04:57 PM

Sure hope you mean the #7. :eek: . And what's the trade chart show for your idea?

Timmy!
02-18-2011, 05:42 PM
If we draft Green I will immediately begin starting car fires.

WARHORSE
02-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Sure hope you mean the #7. :eek: . And what's the trade chart show for your idea?

It comes up about a low second round pick short.

NameUsedBefore
02-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm going to roleplay this.

SanFran: Dudes, take AJ Green. We'll just trade players later on the basis of a verbal agreement.
Denver: Alright man, that sounds awesome.

*events unfold*

Denver: Okay, let's trade!
SanFran: Trade what.

PAINTERDAVE
02-18-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm going to roleplay this.

SanFran: Dudes, take AJ Green. We'll just trade players later on the basis of a verbal agreement.
Denver: Alright man, that sounds awesome.

*events unfold*

Denver: Okay, let's trade!
SanFran: Trade what.

That's why they would need to trade the draft picks now...
and trade the players once the CBA is worked out.