PDA

View Full Version : Elway on Bailey

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2011, 01:10 PM
John Elway just sent out a number of tweets regarding contract negotiations with Champ Bailey, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent. For those of you who don’t have Twitter, we figured we’d share them here.

to see tweets - http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/elway-on-bailey/

cuzz4169
02-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Could it be Broncos putting ball in Champs court? In my heart I want to keep Bailey.

underrated29
02-17-2011, 01:56 PM
I Hate to be debbie downer, but to me this sounds like crowd control.

I bet john does mean what he says, but I have a feeling if they really wanted to act on those feelings they would up the ante for bailey. Not $ wise as neither has said that is the issue, just security wise, instead of 1 year contracts.

Since they are not, this is their PR way of keeping fans from rioting.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2011, 02:14 PM

I bet john does mean what he says, but I have a feeling if they really wanted to act on those feelings they would up the ante for bailey. Not $ wise as neither has said that is the issue, just security wise, instead of 1 year contracts.

Hopefully it is negotiating tactics, which I am very familiar with - as I negotiated many contracts in my past line of work - i.e. the person throwing out the offer goes as low as possible - the person receiving the offer goes as high as possible - and the negotiating begins - hopefully ending up with something which is acceptable to both parties.

Also yesterday, Vic Lombardi stated the offer was for 4 yrs, 40Mil, with very FEW guarantees.

Buff
02-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Good job by John appeasing the angry fans. Personally, I see both sides of the debate and I would be fine with resigning or not resigning Champ. I think there are valid arguments both ways.

But either way, it's good that John is letting people know that we're at least negotiating with Champ. Maybe we don't end up signing him, but I'll feel better knowing that we at least tried to get him at the right price instead of just outright deciding to let him walk without a fight.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2011, 02:51 PM
from article:

And then, to stamp the team’s position, Elway typed: “”We want Champ to finish his Hall of Fame career as a Denver Bronco.”

full article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/02/17/elway-emphasizes-desire-to-sign-champ/6943/?source=rsshomeblog

underrated29
02-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Hopefully it is negotiating tactics, which I am very familiar with - as I negotiated many contracts in my past line of work - i.e. the person throwing out the offer goes as low as possible - the person receiving the offer goes as high as possible - and the negotiating begins - hopefully ending up with something which is acceptable to both parties.

Also yesterday, Vic Lombardi stated the offer was for 4 yrs, 40Mil, with very FEW guarantees.

from article:

full article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/02/17/elway-emphasizes-desire-to-sign-champ/6943/?source=rsshomeblog

Exactly.That is how all negotiations work. Now though, they are off.
Like I said- Crowd control.

rcsodak
02-17-2011, 03:07 PM
And its early. With no cba, comes no rush. I'd rather see slow n easy vs fast n" oh frig!"
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2011, 03:31 PM

They may not be off - no ones knows - each side could be taking another look at things - Broncos - ok - Champ/agent do not like our first offer - let's amend our offer, and see what they think.

underrated29
02-17-2011, 03:34 PM
I sure hope so.

vettesplus
02-17-2011, 03:37 PM
i just hope champ ends up with a team that can get to the sb soon, if he wants to finish out as a denver bronco his chances of a ring are not to great.... good luck to champ on his future....

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2011, 03:55 PM
A few minutes ago, Mike Evans on the fan, said that the one thing that bothers him is that Champ's contract offer was pulled off the table last year, and he said - make no mistake - Josh McDaniels can not be blamed for that - Josh wanted Champ signed. He said it was Ellis/Bowlen who pulled the contract, and they are still here.

As a side note, there is a Champ Bailey Rally this coming Sunday at Invesco:

http://predominantlyorange.com/2011/02/17/champ-bailey-rally-planned-for-sunday/

bcbronc
02-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Nope, sorry DN(C) I know your just reporting what you heard but all that ails Bronco nation is to be blamed on McDaniels until further notice. Tyia.

silkamilkamonico
02-17-2011, 04:40 PM
A few minutes ago, Mike Evans on the fan, said that the one thing that bothers him is that Champ's contract offer was pulled off the table last year, and he said - make no mistake - Josh McDaniels can not be blamed for that - Josh wanted Champ signed. He said it was Ellis/Bowlen who pulled the contract, and they are still here.

This has already been quoted all over the place even from back when they pulled it during the season. Bronco fans all over the place are completely blind and ignorant on it.

rcsodak
02-17-2011, 04:46 PM

As a side note, there is a Champ Bailey Rally this coming Sunday at Invesco:

http://predominantlyorange.com/2011/02/17/champ-bailey-rally-planned-for-sunday/

Too bad there are still those that still blame EVERYTHING on McD. Now evans' intellect will be questioned, I suppose.

rcsodak
02-17-2011, 05:18 PM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2011/02/17/elway-wants-bailey-back-but-will-that-be-enough/

nevcraw
02-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Too bad there are still those that still blame EVERYTHING on McD. Now evans' intellect will be questioned, I suppose.

Dude deserves all of the blame he get's and then some. -- ******* deal with it.. he SUCKED. he was a power hungry, blood sucker with no ability to lead men nor a quality plan to develop a team.. I know this hard for you to swallow.

BTW -- I also blame Bowlen and Ellis for being blindly smitten with NE way and ignoring the Pittsburg way or even the old denver way...

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2011, 07:11 PM
OK - back to topic - some may think this is stupid, but IMO, if there are quite a few people showing up for the Champ rally this Sunday at Invesco, it may definitely help - i.e. Elway, Bowlen and Ellis have made statements that, in so many words, they want to get the fan base back. A strong showing at the rally definitely would help. Hopefully, there are media there to cover it.

topscribe
02-17-2011, 07:16 PM
OK - back to topic - some may think this is stupid, but IMO, if there are quite a few people showing up for the Champ rally this Sunday at Invesco, it may definitely help - i.e. Elway, Bowlen and Ellis have made statements that, in so many words, they want to get the fan base back. A strong showing at the rally definitely would help. Hopefully, there are media there to cover it.

I hope they keep in mind that the way to get the fanbase back is by winning,
not by catering to an individual player. If they start cowtowing to the likes of
Champ, Tebow, etc., to placate the fanbase, then they just might end up
another 4-12 team . . . and see if they really have a fanbase then. If the team
is a winning team, then the fanbase won't care who is on the roster . . . except
for those bandwaggoners, of course . . .

-----

Buff
02-17-2011, 08:15 PM
The Champ rally is a poorly conceived idea by armchair general managers who think they know how to build a football team. I'll be embarrassed for the people who show up. There is something to be said for loyalty, but the very idea of people holding a rally for any member of the 32nd ranked defense just strikes me as ignorant.

OrangeHoof
02-17-2011, 09:17 PM

I saw how that worked with some union contracts. The opening negotiations went like this:

Union: We want to take over the company and fire your asses.

Management: We want you as indentured servants.

I was always hoping both sides would begin with *reasonable* positions, but they never did.

OrangeHoof
02-17-2011, 09:21 PM
In fairness to Champ, this organization has seen a LOT of changes from what it was when he arrived here and few of them have been good. I wouldn't blame him a bit if he wanted to go elsewhere and leave Denver in the rear view.

topscribe
02-17-2011, 10:05 PM
In fairness to Champ, this organization has seen a LOT of changes from what it was when he arrived here and few of them have been good. I wouldn't blame him a bit if he wanted to go elsewhere and leave Denver in the rear view.

While I hope against hope that the Broncos can keep him, I have to agree with you here . . .

-----

WARHORSE
02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Champ is someone we need to hold on to.

He will play corner one or two more years then move to safety and dominate.

Big John wants to see him retire a Bronco, and we want him to retire a Bronco, and Champ wants to retire a Bronco.

When Champ goes into the HOF, he will be a BRONCO.

End of story.:salute:

rcsodak
02-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Champ is someone we need to hold on to.

He will play corner one or two more years then move to safety and dominate.

Big John wants to see him retire a Bronco, and we want him to retire a Bronco, and Champ wants to retire a Bronco.

When Champ goes into the HOF, he will be a BRONCO.

End of story.:salute:

I need to move to the Islands.......

Lonestar
02-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Champ will get the TAG if there is one. Unless Pat WANTS TO LET HIM GO TO a winning team.

tomjonesrocks
02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I know we can't post full articles in posts anymore--but is there a reason we can't post tweets?

Just asking.

rcsodak
02-18-2011, 05:02 PM
I know we can't post full articles in posts anymore--but is there a reason we can't post tweets?

Just asking.
Ask the current Administration

nevcraw
02-18-2011, 08:20 PM
***deleted fallout***

If I offended you or anyone my apologies -- hardly the intent

and to be perfectly clear -- My use of "here" was not the forum (not my forum & not my place to say who stays or goes) -- it was "here" the defending of McDaniels.

i willl say on that subject -- To me it is uttlery baffling how there could be anyone left to defend someone who just tore the the franchise to ground..

bcbronc
02-18-2011, 08:36 PM
i willl say on that subject -- To me it is uttlery baffling how there could be anyone left to defend someone who just tore the the franchise to ground..

it's not so much defending, it's more acknowledging that not everything McDaniel's touched was a complete cluster ****.

nevcraw
02-18-2011, 08:50 PM
it's not so much defending, it's more acknowledging that not everything McDaniel's touched was a complete cluster ****.

To acknoledge that other than a few one off's would be to greatly under value the complete distaster that was his tenure.
I will look back a bit more fondly when Tebow rises like the Phoenix or when we get something out of his other draft picks.. but until then you got one good year out of lloyd and whole lot a bupkis..

bcbronc
02-18-2011, 09:18 PM
To acknoledge that other than a few one off's would be to greatly under value the complete distaster that was his tenure.
I will look back a bit more fondly when Tebow rises like the Phoenix or when we get something out of his other draft picks.. but until then you got one good year out of lloyd and whole lot a bupkis..

nope. also broke the cycle, which is invaluable.

no more, almost make playoffs...fire DC...bring in over the hill UFA DL...win 8...lose 8...almost make playoffs...fire DC...bring in ove...

that's the thing with pro sports, especially in capped leagues...sometime you just gotta suck bad before you can get better.

frauschieze
02-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Lounge talk needs to stay in the Lounge, people. Thanks.

Northman
02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
that's the thing with pro sports, especially in capped leagues...sometime you just gotta suck bad before you can get better.

Problem is, in the senarios you talk about there is actually signs of improving. None of which fell under McD's tenure. The idea is too improve not decline which was what was happening in Denver. Im all for taking lumps just so as long as i see improvement in the team.

topscribe
02-19-2011, 01:58 PM
If I offended you or anyone my apologies -- hardly the intent

and to be perfectly clear -- My use of "here" was not the forum (not my forum & not my place to say who stays or goes) -- it was "here" the defending of McDaniels.

Sorry I misunderstood you.

And, for the record, I generally share your feelings toward McDaniels . . .

-----