PDA

View Full Version : Broncos negotiating with Champ

PAINTERDAVE
02-16-2011, 09:30 AM
According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post...

Fox is quoted saying we want him back...
they don't want to franchise him..
there are 2 weeks left before the CBA expires to get a deal done.

Thanks for posting the link, Master Shake.

Link: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17398281

BeefStew25
02-16-2011, 09:31 AM
I think this is a good call.

MasterShake
02-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Link: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17398281

Contract negotiations resume between Broncos, Bailey
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/16/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

Champ Bailey (Denver Post file photo)Contract negotiations between the Broncos and star cornerback Champ Bailey have resumed.

"He's a guy we have strong feelings about," coach John Fox said. "We've had some dialogue there. There have been discussions.

"He's a guy we definitely want to bring back. You never know how things like that work out, but we're moving forward as best we know how."

Bailey recently completed his seven-year, $63 million contract with his 10th Pro Bowl appearance, a record among NFL cornerbacks. He will be eligible for un-restricted free agency once the league and the players union reach a settlement on a new collective bargaining agreement.

Read more: Contract negotiations resume between Broncos, Bailey - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17398281#ixzz1E8H5kNJb
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

rcsodak
02-16-2011, 09:42 AM
If cb wants to be a Bronco, he'll be a Bronco.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

PAINTERDAVE
02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
If cb wants to be a Bronco, he'll be a Bronco.

I hope they just sign the dang deal they had set up before....
it was reasonable and good for both parties...

If we sign Champ now... that makes the draft much more clear.
Maybe someone will trade up to snag Peterson, now...
the best prospect for that is Jerry Jones in Dallas..

I'd love to get their # 9 pic, and their second round pic.. for our #2...
'cause we would STILL get a really good d-lineman at # 9....

Krugan
02-16-2011, 10:16 AM
This is good news, talent and quality is something this team needs to hold onto.

tomjonesrocks
02-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Why did the deal break down last time then? What has changed now?

GEM
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM

From what I have read, they said it broke down the last time because of concerns about the CBA. Maybe they thought they were protected and ok until they heard Champ say he wanted to be a Bronco, but if that didn't work out he would go elsewhere. Maybe John Fox and Elway got together and decided that he is instrumental in the future. Fox probably told upper management that he already has too many holes to fill.

Slick
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM

McDaniels happened.

GEM
02-16-2011, 11:16 AM
McDaniels happened.

Happy you said it, because I definitely thought it. :lol:

rcsodak
02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
McDaniels happened.
Link?

broncofaninfla
02-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Keeping Champ would be one less position to fill on a team that thanks to Mcd has a lot of postions to fill. Plus Champ has been a heck of a Bronco, class act and had a pretty damn good year last year. Hopefully he stays in Denver.

rcsodak
02-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Keeping Champ would be one less position to fill on a team that thanks to Mcd has a lot of postions to fill. Plus Champ has been a heck of a Bronco, class act and had a pretty damn good year last year. Hopefully he stays in Denver.
Just imagine CB/Peterson together......

bcbronc
02-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Imo 9 is too far back. We have to get Dareus, Bowker or Peterson.

As for Champ imo we should just let hik walk. He's going to be expensive and I've been convinced that CBs aren't needed for a good defense.

Ravage!!!
02-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Imo 9 is too far back. We have to get Dareus, Bowker or Peterson.

As for Champ imo we should just let hik walk. He's going to be expensive and I've been convinced that CBs aren't needed for a good defense.

I think the Steelers will disagree with you since they were able to put pressure on and knock Rodgers down 16 of his first 34 pass attempts, yet their corners couldn't keep up with the WRs. On the other side of the ball, Roth had all day to throw the ball and many times couldn't find a receiver open.

I think good corners are very important. But you have to have a mix of a pass run and good corners.

Ravage!!!
02-16-2011, 12:59 PM

There is no way that Jerry Jones is going to move UP into the #2 spot to take a corner. Just not going to happen.

rcsodak
02-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I think the Steelers will disagree with you since they were able to put pressure on and knock Rodgers down 16 of his first 34 pass attempts, yet their corners couldn't keep up with the WRs. On the other side of the ball, Roth had all day to throw the ball and many times couldn't find a receiver open.

I think good corners are very important. But you have to have a mix of a pass run and good corners.
All that game proved is GB has better QB/WR's.

GEM
02-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Link?

You need a link to show you McDaniels was here? Isn't the smoke and ash down at Dove Valley enough? :D

TXBRONC
02-16-2011, 01:53 PM
McDaniels happened.

:sad:

WARHORSE
02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
There is no way that Jerry Jones is going to move UP into the #2 spot to take a corner. Just not going to happen.

Not that I think its likely, but in Jerrys World, anything is possible.

All he has to do is think hes a cornerback away from the superbowl, fall in love with a guy, and then Jerry will be Jerry.

Its my ball, and we're gonna play my way.:D

BroncoWave
02-16-2011, 02:07 PM
McDaniels happened.

Yay for revisionist history!

dogfish
02-16-2011, 02:10 PM
get 'er done!

Ravage!!!
02-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Not that I think its likely, but in Jerrys World, anything is possible.

All he has to do is think hes a cornerback away from the superbowl, fall in love with a guy, and then Jerry will be Jerry.

Its my ball, and we're gonna play my way.:D

True, but Jerry hasn't pulled many Al Davis moves in the draft. Davis would fall in love with a guy and take him based purely on his 40 time. Jerrry hasn't gone that far off the bin, yet.

dogfish
02-16-2011, 02:25 PM
The Broncos and cornerback Champ Bailey are talking again. That’s the good news for Broncos fans.

The bad news is that Bailey isn’t particularly happy with Denver’s latest proposal. A source “close to the negotiation” talked to Josina Anderson of FOX31 Sports in Denver about where the two sides are:

“The Broncos’ negotiating posture has not changed in any respect from the offer that was made back in October which provided only limited guarantees. The money represents nothing more than a commitment to the player for just the upcoming season only, which Bailey would be highly unlikely to accept in its current form on the brink of free agency given the lack of security provided beyond the first year of the contract,” the source said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

TXBRONC
02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
True, but Jerry hasn't pulled many Al Davis moves in the draft. Davis would fall in love with a guy and take him based purely on his 40 time. Jerrry hasn't gone that far off the bin, yet.

If Jones is enthralled with player and doesn't necessarily have to be Peterson I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he would attempt to move up. But like you said, he's never mortgaged a draft just to get one player.

rcsodak
02-16-2011, 02:37 PM
You need a link to show you McDaniels was here? Isn't the smoke and ash down at Dove Valley enough? :D

Lol. You forgot "the hanging smell of sulphur".
But I was asking for the link that showed the CB dilemma was McD's doing.(rhetorical, in reality)

rcsodak
02-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Josina and PFT. What a marriage.

Slick
02-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Pretty much why I didn't answer you rc. Just my opinion.

KCL
02-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Yep but he's hungry to bring another trophy home to go in that
new stadium...;)

rcsodak
02-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Pretty much why I didn't answer you rc. Just my opinion.I know, slick. Just some may take your opinion and twist it into fact. Lol

frauschieze
02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Ellis was quoted as saying the negotiations were broken off at McDaniels' request. *shrugs*

I don't remember what article it was in but I read it from something linked here.

frauschieze
02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
P.S.

I'm not sure I believe one word Ellis says.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-16-2011, 03:20 PM
The Broncos and cornerback Champ Bailey are talking again. That’s the good news for Broncos fans.

The bad news is that Bailey isn’t particularly happy with Denver’s latest proposal. A source “close to the negotiation” talked to Josina Anderson of FOX31 Sports in Denver about where the two sides are:

full article - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/16/champ-bailey-wants-more-security-in-contract-proposal/

BigSarge87
02-16-2011, 03:45 PM
If Jones is enthralled with player and doesn't necessarily have to be Peterson I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he would attempt to move up. But like you said, he's never mortgaged a draft just to get one player.

I think Jones takes Prince Abudallah becuase he's won't have to move up to get him and he's got a cooler name. :lol:

bcbronc
02-16-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure Texas would accept Muslim royalty.

rcsodak
02-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Ellis was quoted as saying the negotiations were broken off at McDaniels' request. *shrugs*

I don't remember what article it was in but I read it from something linked here.
Well I'll see your quote and raise it with a quote I remember seeing back when it happened. Lol. Could swear McD said it was Mr B's decision. Who cares...... :coffee:

rcsodak
02-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure Texas would accept Muslim royalty.
As long as he's not an illegal, they don't care.

topscribe
02-16-2011, 06:34 PM

So, apparently, in addition to everything else, McDaniels cost us Champ Bailey?

-----

Ravage!!!
02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
So, apparently, in addition to everything else, McDaniels cost us Champ Bailey?

-----

yes

zbeg
02-16-2011, 08:16 PM

Can't find the source for this, but we do have this article from Klis that suggest that the decision came from Bowlen/Ellis, and was above McDaniels/Xanders:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16299738?source=rss

SmilinAssasSin27
02-16-2011, 08:35 PM
just get this shit done. We have 1 Bronco left who knows what it's like to win and we're gonna let him bounce? This shit infuriates me. I will not boycott the NFL due to labor talks, but letting Champ walk may cause a 1 year Bronco ban on my end.

rcsodak
02-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Can't find the source for this, but we do have this article from Klis that suggest that the decision came from Bowlen/Ellis, and was above McDaniels/Xanders:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16299738?source=rss

With evans saying the same thing, as reported by Carol.

FIRE ELLIS! Bring back McD!

:couch:

rationalfan
02-17-2011, 11:28 PM
just get this shit done. We have 1 Bronco left who knows what it's like to win and we're gonna let him bounce? This shit infuriates me. I will not boycott the NFL due to labor talks, but letting Champ walk may cause a 1 year Bronco ban on my end.

uh, i love champ's play and attitude, but he hasn't won anything. again, it's not all on him. but i don't think champ has his nickname from wearing rings.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2011, 07:29 PM
uh, i love champ's play and attitude, but he hasn't won anything. again, it's not all on him. but i don't think champ has his nickname from wearing rings.

Been to the playoofs quite a bit and to one AFCCG. That's winning. Ya don't need to get the ring to know how to win games.