PDA

View Full Version : Cutler was hurt in Jags game

Broncos Mtnman
09-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Just heard on News4 that Cutler and Lynch had MRIs today.

I knew about Lynch, but was unaware of Cutler being hurt.

(AP) ENGLEWOOD, Colo. The Denver Broncos sent safety John Lynch and quarterback Jay Cutler for MRIs on Monday. Lynch has a strained groin and Cutler a sprained ankle.

Lynch's injury appeared more serious, although coach Mike Shanahan didn't want to reveal much.

"He's having an MRI and we should find out later on today," Shanahan said.

Cutler didn't meet with the media following Denver's 23-14 loss to Jacksonville on Sunday because he was getting treatment for what the team termed a "mild ankle sprain."

He was also sent for further medical tests Monday.

"They wouldn't be having MRIs if they didn't think it was serious," Shanahan said.

Lynch left the game in the first quarter and didn't return, leading Shanahan to suggest the perennial Pro Bowler must really have been hurting. Lynch also was unavailable after the game.

“Anytime you lose a starter, that’s the nature of the game. You’re one play away from being a starter in this league, and when someone goes down like John, you’re expected to come in and play like John," Shanahan said Monday. "If they don’t, it’s not an excuse. That’s why there are 45 guys on the team, everybody goes through that situation.”

Cutler sprained an ankle when he was sacked in the waning minutes by Reggie Hayward but stayed in the game for the rest of that series and the next one, which ended with him throwing an interception that sealed Denver's defeat.

Shanahan said Cutler wasn't affected by the injury on that play because he stepped up in the pocket fine.

"He played well. He made a number of big plays stepping up in the pocket, scrambling in both directions," Shanahan said. "About the only bad play he made was the last play. He was trying to make a play there. In the future we probably would have gone inside instead of outside. You like guys that are trying to make plays all the time.”

Also, special teams ace Paul Smith went for an MRI exam on his neck after he pinched a nerve in the game.

Shanahan was sporting a puffy left eye himself Monday.

"When it's fourth-and-5 on your 9-yard line with four minutes left, you don't make it and you go home, and your wife hits you, this is what happens," he said, slipping off his shades to reveal a bloodshot, swollen left eye as he started his news briefing with reporters.

"No, I'm allergic to cats, really. It swelled up last night," he said. "So, you guys don't give me abuse about wearing my sunglasses."

At the end of his news conference, Shanahan stood up and showed off his shiner again.

"Just so you guys don't think I'm just trying to be cool. That's a legitimate injury," he said. "Just touching a cat did it to me -- not a Jaguar!"

Calibroncogrl47
09-24-2007, 06:11 PM
I didnt realize cutler was hurt either.. until I read it.. bummer!

Its been driving me crazy all day though wondering if Jay and Lynch are going to miss any time.. I sure hope not!

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Well hopefully it's nothing worse than a spained ankle.

Tned
09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/09/24/cutler-hindered-by-ankle-irked-by-communications/

Week 3Cutler: Hindered By Ankle, Irked By Communications
One day after injuring his ankle late in the Broncos’ 23-14 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, quarterback Jay Cutler said he felt “good,” although the injury left his leg “a little bit sore.”

Cutler underwent an MRI examination and post-injury treatment on Monday, and figures he should be ready to practice by the time the Broncos return to the field Wednesday after their day off.

“Everything’s fine. We’ve got a lot of time left. I’ll take it easy these next couple of days. Maybe it’ll be a little sore on Wendesday, but I should still be able to practice and get a full week in.”

Cutler said he injured the play on the Broncos’ next-to-last series, when he was sacked by former Broncos defensive end Reggie Hayward back at the Denver 3-yard-line, forcing the team into third-and-11. Two plays after the injury, Cutler’s downfield pass for Daniel Graham skipped in and out of the tight end’s grasp, effectively ending the Broncos’ comeback hopes.

“As soon as I (was sacked), I knew it was pretty bad,” Cutler said. “In the heat of the moment, there’s some things you can play through and some things you can’t.”

If anything, Cutler was more frustated about the balky sideline-to-quarterback communications apparatii than the injury. The technical snafus forced the Broncos to burn a pair of timeouts in the third quarter, and while Cutler remained composed, his words steamed frustration with the in-helmet radio receiver.

“They’re not the finest contraptions they have out. I don’t know. It gets really loud in some stadiums. At some stadiums they cut in and out. In some stadiums you hear concession people. You never know what’s going to happen with those things. (I’m) serious.”

Fortunately for the Broncos, “serious” does not appear to describe the state of Cutler’s ankle … although Wednesday’s practice will provide futher illumination on the subject.

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/09/24/cutler-hindered-by-ankle-irked-by-communications/

That's a relief. Thanks Tned.

omac
09-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the articles, broncos_mtnman and tnedator. :welcome:

I liked these ... :D

"When it's fourth-and-5 on your 9-yard line with four minutes left, you don't make it and you go home, and your wife hits you, this is what happens," he said, slipping off his shades to reveal a bloodshot, swollen left eye as he started his news briefing with reporters.

"Just so you guys don't think I'm just trying to be cool. That's a legitimate injury," he said. "Just touching a cat did it to me -- not a Jaguar!"

Lonestar
09-24-2007, 10:48 PM
thanks for keeping us up to date.

sneakers
09-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Not only is shanny tricky, now he's funny. That was a good joke.

Retired_Member_001
09-25-2007, 04:32 AM
Thanks Shanahan.

Thanks for getting our Quarterback injured because you can't be bothered to bring in some proper offensive lineman.

Thanks again Shanny.

Tned
09-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Thanks Shanahan.

Thanks for getting our Quarterback injured because you can't be bothered to bring in some proper offensive lineman.

Thanks again Shanny.

I understand your frustration regrarding the O-line, but would you have had Shanny sacrifice in order to get better linemen?

Trading for Walker...
Trading for Bly...
Drafting Marshall...
Drafting Scheffler...
Drafting Cutler...
Signing Henry...
Signing Graham...
Drafting Moss...
Drafting Crowder...

The point is there were a lot of holes to fill the last few years, and O-line, while a big need, was at the bottom of the priority list.

frenchfan
09-25-2007, 06:50 AM
I understand your frustration regrarding the O-line, but would you have had Shanny sacrifice in order to get better linemen?

Trading for Walker...
Trading for Bly...
Drafting Marshall...
Drafting Scheffler...
Drafting Cutler...
Signing Henry...
Signing Graham...
Drafting Moss...
Drafting Crowder...

The point is there were a lot of holes to fill the last few years, and O-line, while a big need, was at the bottom of the priority list.I agree...

Our D-line was so bad... And is still not really good...
Our O-Line was not too bad... But is not as good as it was used to...

If Lynch is out... anyone is worried about our safeties situation?

IMO, this is the newt priority for our team :
- DL
- OL
- Safety

We could also woory about LB, but in Bates system, if DL is good, then LB will be good... :D

Tned
09-25-2007, 06:57 AM
If Lynch is out... anyone is worried about our safeties situation?

IMO, this is the newt priority for our team :
- DL
- OL
- Safety

We could also woory about LB, but in Bates system, if DL is good, then LB will be good... :D

I'm worried if Lynch is hurt, especially with Foxworth possibly sitll hurt and abdullah (whatever his spelling is) hurt.

Also, depending on how Lynch makes it through the year and his plans for next year, and depending on how the young guys, like Marcus Thomas, develop, then I possibly put safety at the top of the list. Since we have young players on both sides of the line, and old players at saftey, I think it is too early to predict which positions will strenghten as the year goes by and players get experience.

Retired_Member_001
09-25-2007, 07:09 AM

Trading for Walker...
Trading for Bly...
Drafting Marshall...
Drafting Scheffler...
Drafting Cutler...
Signing Henry...
Signing Graham...
Drafting Moss...
Drafting Crowder...

The point is there were a lot of holes to fill the last few years, and O-line, while a big need, was at the bottom of the priority list.

Call me crazy but I would actually sacrifice one of our second round picks, Scheffler or Crowder. I would actually prefer to sacrifice Scheffler, Crowder looks quite promising.

We were also reckless when we traded picks in the last draft. One of those picks could be used on another offensive lineman.

There's also FA.

frenchfan
09-25-2007, 07:27 AM
I'm worried if Lynch is hurt, especially with Foxworth possibly sitll hurt and abdullah (whatever his spelling is) hurt.

Also, depending on how Lynch makes it through the year and his plans for next year, and depending on how the young guys, like Marcus Thomas, develop, then I possibly put safety at the top of the list. Since we have young players on both sides of the line, and old players at saftey, I think it is too early to predict which positions will strenghten as the year goes by and players get experience.Yeah... I can't agree more Tned...

I didn't give any particular order in my "concerns"... IMO, all these positions must be adressed... Now, I tend to think (as you) that safety will become a big concern soon...

Do you think our young guys in the line (both O and D) can make the job soon? Jay is a good (and I think he'll be a great) QB... But we need him healthy... And we need to score when we outplay the other team !

I didn't have big expectations for this year, but I know we have talent... and enough talent to win the SB... Now, we still have some issues to adress and to work on...

Tned
09-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Yeah... I can't agree more Tned...

I didn't give any particular order in my "concerns"... IMO, all these positions must be adressed... Now, I tend to think (as you) that safety will become a big concern soon...

Do you think our young guys in the line (both O and D) can make the job soon? Jay is a good (and I think he'll be a great) QB... But we need him healthy... And we need to score when we outplay the other team !

I didn't have big expectations for this year, but I know we have talent... and enough talent to win the SB... Now, we still have some issues to adress and to work on...

I'm not sure if the young DL and OL players will turn out to be serviceable or even good. I think it is possible. I think there is more talent on the young DL guys, but with the O-line, the system is more important, so as the young guys get into the flow of the system (and hopefully Hamilton can return), then the line could become ok, but still unlikely to be a good drop back pass protection unit.

On the D-line, Dumerville has 4 sacks in three games, Marcus Thomas is starting to see some playing time and was supposed to be a 'first round talent' with 6th round off-field problems, so if he really has 'first round talent' then he should start contributing in time. Crowder, when healthy, should be a good addition to a rotation of Rice, Dumervill and Moss. Those four ends should be a solid rotation. The question is who fills the spot next to Marcus Thomas if Thomas does develop into an every down player?

Lots of questions, but I think it is too early to 'know' the D-line isn't fixed, fully or partially. Until we know how the D-line develops over the course of the year, I think it is hard to predict the draft needs.

I do know that saftey has been a week spot. Lynch has been good at run stopping, but neither lynch or Ferguson has been good in coverage. Some of Ferguson's missed plays, including the INT that went through his hands in the endzone in the AFCCG, could have made the difference in that game.

Lonestar
09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
OLINE is not gonna change unless we have a complete overhaul and via the draft that takes 4-5 years before they are up to speed to play. So that leaves FA and the going rate for quality OLINE guys is way more money than we have available without cutting some of the offensive talent and both Bly and Bailey, to make it happen, IF they are even available on the market.

That said we are gonna have to be content with the rejects that other teams do not draft. Or the ones they cut from their squads.

Now as far as safeties are concerned we do not have to spend a #1 on any of them.

While we have been know for our safeties in the past alot of these great years also had some talent up front ans for the most part the safeties in DEN were know for "you really do not want to come inside my turf area" more than for their coverage abilities.

We all know that for as long as Mikey has been in DEN our DL has had very little attention paid to it other than an occasional on their last legs FA signed. ONE quality DL guy has been drafted (until this year) and kept and he was un-motivated for much of his career in DEN.

We also know that most if not all of the losses we have had in DEN over that past 5-6 years were because of poor pass rush or hurries against quality OLINES and QB's.

Finally Mikey has sought out a quality DC to fix the problem. Bates knows what he is doing and I for one think he is on the right track albeit short of the personnel he needs to get the job done in a dominate fashion.

Retired_Member_001
09-25-2007, 03:24 PM
OLINE is not gonna change unless we have a complete overhaul and via the draft that takes 4-5 years before they are up to speed to play. So that leaves FA and the going rate for quality OLINE guys is way more money than we have available without cutting some of the offensive talent and both Bly and Bailey, to make it happen, IF they are even available on the market.

That said we are gonna have to be content with the rejects that other teams do not draft. Or the ones they cut from their squads.

Now as far as safeties are concerned we do not have to spend a #1 on any of them.

While we have been know for our safeties in the past alot of these great years also had some talent up front ans for the most part the safeties in DEN were know for "you really do not want to come inside my turf area" more than for their coverage abilities.

We all know that for as long as Mikey has been in DEN our DL has had very little attention paid to it other than an occasional on their last legs FA signed. ONE quality DL guy has been drafted (until this year) and kept and he was un-motivated for much of his career in DEN.

We also know that most if not all of the losses we have had in DEN over that past 5-6 years were because of poor pass rush or hurries against quality OLINES and QB's.

Finally Mikey has sought out a quality DC to fix the problem. Bates knows what he is doing and I for one think he is on the right track albeit short of the personnel he needs to get the job done in a dominate fashion.

These are the changes we need to make:

LT (Draft a top LT, Ryan Harris could possibly be the guy, I'm not 100% sure though).
LG ( Play Chris Myers instead of Ben Hamilton)
RG ( Find a realiable experienced guy to play here for a few years)
RT ( Draft a good RT)

Only two transactions need to be made in next years draft. Unless the rookies turn out to be the next George Foster,all of our offensive line problems could be solved.

Infact we may only need to draft one offensive lineman if Harris turns out to be any good.

In my opinion, those changes wont take 4-5 years to finally work.