PDA

View Full Version : Broncos RB Torain Could Debut In Week Nine

turftoad
09-27-2008, 02:16 PM
A secret weapon? Not exactly.

"Just maybe one people don't expect," Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler said.

Somewhat lost in all the numbers the Broncos offense has put up in three games is the fact the guy who just might have been their starting running back is close to returning to practice.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said Friday that rookie Ryan Torain is on track to return to practice in the days leading up to the Broncos' Oct. 20 game in New England. If all goes well, Torain could play after the Broncos' Oct. 26 bye. The Broncos will face the Miami Dolphins on Nov. 2 at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"From what we saw in camp, the kid is an explosive runner and in the second half of the season, guys get worn down and we're going to pop this fresh kid in there," Cutler said. "It's going to be exciting to watch."

Torain suffered a fractured left elbow and some ligament damage that required surgery in early August. At the time, he steadily was moving up the team's depth chart, with Shanahan saying, before any preseason games had been played, that Torain was headed toward being the team's starter.

At the time, Shanahan called him "one of the most gifted running backs I've been around, and I've been around for a long time, very similar to Terrell Davis when he came in."

Torain, who still is wearing a brace on his left arm for much of his day around the Broncos' Dove Valley complex, has been doing conditioning work and exercises to regain the range of motion in his arm.

"I'm excited, I'm just going to keep working hard and get back," Torain said. "I started running, and that's when it started to feel like it's getting closer, like I was taking some strides. It's going

NightTrainLayne
09-27-2008, 02:45 PM
I can't wait to see him under the lights.

Skinny
09-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Anything that adds to the offense at this point is a big plus in my book. Not sure how much he'll contribute but it will be good to atleast have him as an option.

dogfish
09-27-2008, 04:07 PM
a big power runner that can wear down defenses and grind out yards is EXACTLY what we need to take some pressure off our efense and help preserve those big leads we've been jumping out to. . . IF any of this camp hype about torrain is more than hot air, he could add an entirely different dimension to an already potent offense, and be a huge asset to the team. . .

honz
09-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Even when he does come back, it's not like he is going to be our workhorse right away...if he really is our best RB. It will probably take him a bit to get back into football shape, but no matter what his role is it will be nice to have a physicl runner to compliment Selvin and Andre.

It will be interesting to see what Torain's role is and how it effects our other RBs.

atwater27
09-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Could we really be so lucky as to have 2 potential rookies of the year?

ApaOps5
09-27-2008, 10:19 PM
From my days reporting at Camp. Torain was coming on strong. Every time I was there he was showing improvement. The only person who improved as much as quickly in my eyes was Harris.

If he had stayed healthy this offense would be near impossible to stop.

frauschieze
09-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Could we really be so lucky as to have 2 potential rookies of the year?

We already do: Clady & Royal

ApaOps5
09-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Ok check that. Imagine 3 ROY possibilities.

Although you can't count an OL in ROY talks. They aren't in a flashy position.

frauschieze
09-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Ok check that. Imagine 3 ROY possibilities.

Although you can't count an OL in ROY talks. They aren't in a flashy position.

True, but Clady IS getting noticed. Maybe it's only because Cutler is really shining now and finally people are noticing what we've known from the beginning. Or maybe it's just the stellar play of the O-Line in general. Whatever it is, any ROY article I've seen so far has mentioned Clady. I'm not complaining.

ApaOps5
09-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Me neither. I am loving the influence the Goodmans have on our drafting now. Up next loading up on stellar defense.

Look at it this way. We could be setting up like this year is 1995 again. With a chance to make a run towards SB's. Except if we get the right D and keep our core O then it could be a heck of a ride!

frauschieze
09-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Me neither. I am loving the influence the Goodmans have on our drafting now. Up next loading up on stellar defense.

Look at it this way. We could be setting up like this year is 1995 again. With a chance to make a run towards SB's. Except if we get the right D and keep our core O then it could be a heck of a ride!

I'll raise my bottle to that! :drinking:

dogfish
09-27-2008, 11:14 PM
We already do: Clady & Royal

beat me to it. . . . :D

WARHORSE
09-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Heres the rest of that story. And I cant wait.

"I'm excited, I'm just going to keep working hard and get back," Torain said. "I started running, and that's when it started to feel like it's getting closer, like I was taking some strides. It's going to be fun."
At 225 pounds, Torain is considered the team's best power/speed combination in the backfield. In two seasons at Arizona State, he averaged 5.4 yards per carry, and he rushed for 1,229 yards as a junior.
He played in only six games as a senior because of a foot injury that required surgery. Some teams didn't like his speed at the scouting combine - he ran in the 4.6s in his 40-yard dashes, 4.71 on the electronic clock - but others believed his speed would improve as he continued to recover from his foot surgery.
Shanahan consistently has pointed to Torain's ability to cut at nearly full speed during the Broncos workouts, which enable a runner to play faster than his timed speed. Torain showed enough in the first two weeks of camp that the Broncos kept him on the 53- man roster rather than place him on injured reserve for the season.
"The guys on defense were saying that all along," Cutler said. "He's going to have some impact for us."
For Torain, this week has been slightly disappointing. The back who went to high school in suburban Shawnee Mission, Kan., was hoping to play in Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday. Torain almost certainly will face the Chiefs on Dec. 7 in Denver, but he will have to wait until next season to play in front of family and friends.
"It would have been great to play Sunday," Torain said. "It would have been great for the family to come out and watch me. But the Chiefs still have got to come here, and my family is still coming out for that."