PDA

View Full Version : Elvis tied for 2nd in sacks

SR
09-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I was just checking out some stats on ESPN.com/nfl and noticed Elvis had four sacks and is tied for second in the NFL. He trails the leader by only a half of a sack. :woot:

GEM
09-24-2007, 05:30 PM
He is definately a very big positive!! I catch myself chanting DU-MER-VIL....just like the IN-COM-PLETE....:laugh:

BigBroncLove
09-24-2007, 05:30 PM
That's always great to hear. He's looking better and better every game.... I love his speed on the edge, and he has been showing real surprising bursts of power this season. Thanks for the stat info, always great to hear individual accompishments after a team loss...

broncosinindy
09-24-2007, 05:31 PM
I was just checking out some stats on ESPN.com/nfl and noticed Elvis had four sacks and is tied for second in the NFL. He trails the leader by only a half of a sack. :woot:
Sacks are cool but wins are much better.

Dumervil is really causeing havoc. I wish the rest of the D-Ends would please stand up now.

SR
09-24-2007, 05:34 PM
He also has a pick and a fumble recovery to boot. He is making a name for himself for sure...sure making more noise than our beloved Simeon Rice.:tsk:

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 06:25 PM
The guy is a gamer. Maybe he isn't great run defender but he still always seems to be around the ball.

Skinny
09-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Props to my Adoptee! :beer:

I think he's only going to get better.

With more playing time of course and he'll have to earn that (run defense).

The coaching is there, the work ethic, and the scheme fits his skills perfectly.

DenBronx
09-24-2007, 07:11 PM
elvis should get at least 16 sacks this year. thats pretty impressive compared to what we have had. i wouldnt be suprised to see moss get close to 8 sacks on his own...

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
elvis should get at least 16 sacks this year. thats pretty impressive compared to what we have had. i wouldnt be suprised to see moss get close to 8 sacks on his own...

We just have to find a way to defend the run.

broncosfanscott
09-24-2007, 08:31 PM
He also has a pick and a fumble recovery to boot. He is making a name for himself for sure...sure making more noise than our beloved Simeon Rice.:tsk:

That would have been cool if he was able to return that for a score right before half in the week one vs. the Bills.

Dumervil keeps getting better and better. I hope Elvis and somebody else can step up big and get some pressure on Manning next week.

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 09:38 PM
That would have been cool if he was able to return that for a score right before half in the week one vs. the Bills.

Dumervil keeps getting better and better. I hope Elvis and somebody else can step up big and get some pressure on Manning next week.

No doubt. If can do that and eat up a lot clock we have chance to win this game.

Tned
09-24-2007, 09:39 PM

Yep, we need some pressure on Manning, that is going to be key to having a chance.

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Yep, we need some pressure on Manning, that is going to be key to having a chance.

Also wouldn't hurt to have Lynch and Foxworth back either.

GEM
09-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Let's just hope that we keep Elvis. I don't want the same mistakes from the past. Groom them, they get good and then they leave.

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Let's just hope that we keep Elvis. I don't want the same mistakes from the past. Groom them, they get good and then they leave.

I don't think Shanahan wanted to let Berry or Hayward go but he didn't want to pay them what they were going to get from free agency.

SR
09-24-2007, 10:48 PM
I don't think Shanahan wanted to let Berry or Hayward go but he didn't want to pay them what they were going to get from free agency.

Based on what I've seen so far, we should keep Elvis, pay him, and say good-bye to Simeon Rice.

Lonestar
09-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Well so far I' have been wrong on Dumervil and sounds like he will get the job done in the sack department

The real question is will the other teams ever have to pass the ball since they are able to run at will.

BigBroncLove
09-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Based on what I've seen so far, we should keep Elvis, pay him, and say good-bye to Simeon Rice.

Simeon has been with the team for only a few weeks. To boot he is coming off an injury, and I think it's way to early to draw conclusions. Plus, Rice is in a one year contract which means even if the Broncos want to part ways with him at the end of the year, there is no cap penalty at all..... The Broncos would be smart to hold on to Rice through the season, not only incase his level of play increases (which I think it will), but also incase of injury or a lack of production from any of our DE's....

DenBronx
09-24-2007, 11:41 PM
We just have to find a way to defend the run.

well, i dont think sam adams is the answer. letting warren and myers go doesnt look too good right now. both are doing pretty goon on their new teams this year. at least both provided a little penetration in the backfield. however i understand that bates likes big gap type of guys...but im not sold on the ones we chose. to top it off we lost a 6th rounder experimenting with it.

when shanny was asked what was wrong with stopping the run he replied "were fixing it". i wonder what he meant by that. what could he do to help fix it at this point?

dogfish
09-24-2007, 11:49 PM

ack, bite your tongue!

if they don't lock him up with a nice big extension sometime in the next two years, i'm going down to dove valley myself, and it's not gonna be pretty. . . .

:boxing:

SR
09-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Simeon has been with the team for only a few weeks. To boot he is coming off an injury, and I think it's way to early to draw conclusions. Plus, Rice is in a one year contract which means even if the Broncos want to part ways with him at the end of the year, there is no cap penalty at all..... The Broncos would be smart to hold on to Rice through the season, not only incase his level of play increases (which I think it will), but also incase of injury or a lack of production from any of our DE's....

Agreed to a point. I was never high on the Rice signing to begin with. I'd like to see him perform, but the selfish side of me wants to see him fail so I can get my way! :laugh::tsk:

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 07:23 AM

That makes sense. He's younger and he producing where Rice isn't.

Tned
09-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Well so far I' have been wrong on Dumervil and sounds like he will get the job done in the sack department

The real question is will the other teams ever have to pass the ball since they are able to run at will.

If the offense get's on track, of course they will. Not only that, but the defense did hold Jax on a number of drives. They allowed two TDs (might have been three (or a FG) if not for the Jones-Drew FG). They forced a couple punts and field goals.

Not only that, but 3 of the 5 drives in the second half (not counting the end of game kneel down drive), the Broncos held them to 4 plays, which ended in FG, pung, FG. The other two drives the defense forced fumbles, but since once of those was a 79 yard drive with a fumble on the 1 yard line while 1st and 10, it likely would have resulted in a TD, but the fact is, it didn't, the defense created the turnover, as they did a couple series earlier on the sack.

It wasn't all bad, all the time. The defense was much better in the second half, than the first half, and that was with zero support from the offense getting any type of lead or having sustained drives of their own.

GEM
09-25-2007, 09:43 AM
ack, bite your tongue!

if they don't lock him up with a nice big extension sometime in the next two years, i'm going down to dove valley myself, and it's not gonna be pretty. . . .

:boxing:

It's an honest reality. Hopefully Shanny learned his lesson.

If you wanted to :boxing: all you had to do was ask. ;) I prefer wrestling though.

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 11:32 AM
If the offense get's on track, of course they will. Not only that, but the defense did hold Jax on a number of drives. They allowed two TDs (might have been three (or a FG) if not for the Jones-Drew FG). They forced a couple punts and field goals.

Not only that, but 3 of the 5 drives in the second half (not counting the end of game kneel down drive), the Broncos held them to 4 plays, which ended in FG, pung, FG. The other two drives the defense forced fumbles, but since once of those was a 79 yard drive with a fumble on the 1 yard line while 1st and 10, it likely would have resulted in a TD, but the fact is, it didn't, the defense created the turnover, as they did a couple series earlier on the sack.

It wasn't all bad, all the time. The defense was much better in the second half, than the first half, and that was with zero support from the offense getting any type of lead or having sustained drives of their own.

I agree the offense will get on track and the thing with this defense is they are horrible inconsistant. They can look good for awhile and then turn on a dime and look like they haven't a clue.

dogfish
09-25-2007, 12:25 PM
It's an honest reality. Hopefully Shanny learned his lesson.

If you wanted to :boxing: all you had to do was ask. ;) I prefer wrestling though.

the punches were intended for anyone down at dove valley who'd let elvis leave the building, but i'll gladly wrestle you any day, cutie. . . . :D

jhns
09-25-2007, 12:49 PM
when shanny was asked what was wrong with stopping the run he replied "were fixing it". i wonder what he meant by that. what could he do to help fix it at this point?

The biggest problem is people not staying in their assigned gaps and not tackling (other than the DT problem that might just be my opinion). So pretty much he just has to teach the defense fundamentals again to make them perform better.

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 01:50 PM

Yes JR you have been mistake thus far about Dumervil. :tsk: :D He still may not be an everydown player but the kid has nose for the ball and he flat get after the quarterback.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Why anyone ever doubted Dumervil's ability to get to the quarterback is beyond me.

He needs a Mike Patterson like extension to keep him around for more than just his four year contract. I don't care if he isn't an every down player, but when you play quite a few snaps, get the sacks and force some turnovers, you're worth the money. He's arguably the best lineman on our team right now.

He's done very well. He's not the best run defender, but he's improving. He's on pace for a very, very good season right now in the range of 30-40 tackles with 10 sacks or so. That's great, any way you slice it.

broncosfanscott
09-25-2007, 08:39 PM
No doubt. If can do that and eat up a lot clock we have chance to win this game.

We need to do exactly what Jacksonville did to us......eat up the clock. Manning can't beat us if he is on the sideline.

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 08:41 PM
We need to do exactly what Jacksonville did to us......eat up the clock. Manning can't beat us if he is on the sideline.

Yep and that what we did a few year ago in Indy during the second to last game of the season. We controlled the clock for over 30 minutes.

dogfish
09-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Why anyone ever doubted Dumervil's ability to get to the quarterback is beyond me.

He needs a Mike Patterson like extension to keep him around for more than just his four year contract. I don't care if he isn't an every down player, but when you play quite a few snaps, get the sacks and force some turnovers, you're worth the money. He's arguably the best lineman on our team right now.

He's done very well. He's not the best run defender, but he's improving. He's on pace for a very, very good season right now in the range of 30-40 tackles with 10 sacks or so. That's great, any way you slice it.

if it's arguable, i'd really like to see someone argue it. . . :huh:

mentioning the turnovers is a very valid point-- not only does he rush the passer well, but his relentless motor and nose for the ball are producing big plays (the way he scooped up that fumble was sweet). . .

i understand why GEM would be wary given our past history, but shanahan's not stupid, and it's hard for me to think they didn't learn their lesson. . . i will be SICK if they even consider letting him hit the market-- lock him up now, the price is just going to keep going up the better he plays. . . right now he looks like the highest-impact D-lineman we've drafted since pryce, and he should be considered a core player going forward. . .

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 08:48 PM
if it's arguable, i'd really like to see someone argue it. . . :huh:

mentioning the turnovers is a very valid point-- not only does he rush the passer well, but his relentless motor and nose for the ball are producing big plays (the way he scooped up that fumble was sweet). . .

i understand why GEM would be wary given our past history, but shanahan's not stupid, and it's hard for me to think they didn't learn their lesson. . . i will be SICK if they even consider letting him hit the market-- lock him up now, the price is just going to keep going up the better he plays. . . right now he looks like the highest-impact D-lineman we've drafted since pryce, and he should be considered a core player going forward. . .

Dumervil wouldn't still be available for FF would he? :D

dogfish
09-25-2007, 09:43 PM

i think BFI has him, but i'm not sure. . .

DenBronx
09-25-2007, 09:58 PM

what league drafts defensive players?

SR
09-25-2007, 10:02 PM

Sandbox.com

dogfish
09-25-2007, 11:44 PM

it's becoming much more popular, and i myself think that they're the most fun type of league. . . you can check out my league of leagends on Bmania for an example. . .

okay, sorry for the brief interruption, now back on topic. . .

dumervil = beast

arapaho2
09-26-2007, 11:50 AM

which is why good general managers that see the potential in players resign them to new contracts long before they become free agents to avoid the bidding wars

Lonestar
09-26-2007, 12:00 PM

which is why good general managers that see the potential in players resign them to new contracts long before they become free agents to avoid the bidding wars

Mikey the "GM" had all summer and most of the season to make an offer, but he waited to see if they were real. BY then they knew they could get much more than what would have been offered in DEN.

This was a widely held opinion in the DEN press at the time. There were some talk about negotiating during the beginning of the season. Whether they happened or not I do not know.

Yes THEY could have been kept if Mikey would have made a serious offer prior to the season and probably at about half what they got after having super contract seasons.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Denver has always respected their players and when it comes to free agency, they usually let them test the market. It's not necessarily good for us, however it shows that Denver is a respectable place and gives their players a very, very fair shake. I do wish that Denver was more aggressive in locking up their younger up and comers, and I hope extensions to Marshall and Dumervil are in the near future.

broncosfanscott
09-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Denver has always respected their players and when it comes to free agency, they usually let them test the market. It's not necessarily good for us, however it shows that Denver is a respectable place and gives their players a very, very fair shake. I do wish that Denver was more aggressive in locking up their younger up and comers, and I hope extensions to Marshall and Dumervil are in the near future.

Me too. Those are two players we can't afford to let go and locking them up early would be the best move. Since we are on the subject, how long are these guys current contract?

TXBRONC
09-26-2007, 05:41 PM

The League of Legends does.

TXBRONC
09-26-2007, 05:42 PM
it's becoming much more popular, and i myself think that they're the most fun type of league. . . you can check out my league of leagends on Bmania for an example. . .

okay, sorry for the brief interruption, now back on topic. . .

dumervil = beast

I shall call you mini beast. :laugh:

Requiem / The Dagda
09-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Me too. Those are two players we can't afford to let go and locking them up early would be the best move. Since we are on the subject, how long are these guys current contract?

After this season they have two more years. I'd like for them to get an extension on the existing contract so they'd be here for about six more years instead of just two more years. It's cheaper, but it gives them incentive for the long-term when they should be established players in the league. It benefits the team more than the player.