PDA

View Full Version : atwater highlights

titan
02-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Came across this tonight. With no nfl football for a long time it's good to relive the highlights of this bronco great.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWtSUgLm_Oo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sWtSUgLm_Oo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

MasterShake
02-13-2011, 11:53 PM
One of my earliest Broncos memories is him ruining Okoye's career with that massive hit. Dude was never the same after that! :salute:

Thnikkaman
02-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Why isn't he in the HoF?

Dirk
02-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Maybe now that some Broncos players are getting in, he will get his day in the HOF!

Atwater was one of the best.

SOCALORADO.
02-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Legend

dunk7
02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
He was my favorite Bronco, aside from Elway as a child; so much so that for my birthday I wanted an Atwater jersey. Seeing as though you couldn't get Bronco jerseys other than Elway in Canada, my mother actually made me one.

broncofaninfla
02-14-2011, 12:41 PM
I love me some Atwater, he and Smith were simply awesome, best safety tandem this team will probably ever see.

BroncoNut
02-14-2011, 01:10 PM
dang. that's just plain nasty

MadMax
02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Great post, it kept me busy for an hour because after I watched the video my tastes was tempted and I spent an hour reading Steve Atwater articles on the internet :-).

On a side note, I can't find much about Steve Atwater today, does anyone know what he does with himself these days?

Man, what a great Bronco.

jetrazor74
02-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Why isn't he in the HoF?

I think part of the problem is that people forget, or in the case of younger fans, never learned about who Okoye was.

Okoye was a beast. He was huge. He dominated opposing defenses. He was so big and so fast no one could tackle him, and those that managed to get some pads on him bounced off or got run over like a deer in front of a run away semi truck.

Barry Sanders... Bo Jackson... Christian Okoye... Emmit Smith... Thurman Thomas... those were the big RBs of the early 90's. They spoke of Okoye in the same breath as those others.

But no one remembers Okoye much.

And that's because of Steve "The Smilin' Assassin" Atwater. :salute:

atwater27
02-15-2011, 12:04 AM
cM0UiDPKN7E

Dude had the game of his career in that super bowl. He deserved MVP. Not a doubt in my mind. He got jipped. He was in on virtually every play and smacked people over and over and over. This play was a guy playing his heart and his career out in one snap. Sold his body out to stop a completion. I love you man!

BroncoNut
02-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I thought this was about atwater the poster.

atwater27
02-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I thought this was about atwater the poster.

You'd have to change it to lowlights.

BroncoNut
02-15-2011, 07:18 PM
You'd have to change it to lowlights.

c'mon atty. no way

SmilinAssasSin27
02-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Had he not dropped that cake INT, he may very well have been MVP of SB32.

nevcraw
02-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Man, I loved Elway but I wanted to be Steve Atwater.

he was relentless and even lead the team in tackles a few times.. a safety... Guy was the the defense for a bunch of years..

JDL
02-15-2011, 09:54 PM
DBs in the Halls eyes are judged solely by INTs... I did research awhile back that showed according to the unofficial statmakers... Atwater was the all-time leader amongst safeties in tackles whether using independent sources or of course Denver's inflated numbers versus other players team numbers. Unfortunately, this is not something voters look at due to discrepancies, but his impact throughout those playoffs (remember he and gordon - looked like both tipped away a game winning TD pass from KC) ... NFL 1st team All-decade, 8-time pro bowler, 3 Super Bowls, 2 Victories, countless FAMOUS hits... it is a freaking joke he can't even get into the semi-finalists round... let alone the Hall. F them, I know he'll get there, no way to deny his credentials, just not possible, but this snubbing for this long is ridiculous.