PDA

View Full Version : The teams real problem.

jhns
09-24-2007, 04:44 PM
This board doesn't seem as bad but everywhere else I go there are a lot of people acting as they do after every loss. This is the first board I have decided to post on because of this. On most every other board it seems that fans have lost all logic when making posts.

I am not sure how people are surprised by the slow start. We are still 2-1 though and in first place for our division. It is obvious that this team was not going to come out of the gate hitting on all cylinders. We have so many new starters this season, along with a new d-coordinator. Not only that but if you really take a look at this team, other than safety and o-line, it is very young. I am not sure why people expected this team to be putting up 30-0 blowouts straight out the gate. Every time a team changes this much, they always suffer from problems.

I do not think our team is as bad as some want to think. If you look at these games, we have only had them close because of costly penatlies and turnovers. The offense has rolled all over people. This is one of the youngest offenses in football. There are 3 guys on the o-line that are old but other than that, every starter is going to be playing in the NFL for a long time barring injury (knock on wood). If you haven't noticed, this team is looking like it could be an offensive powerhouse for many years once everything starts clicking.

The defense is another story. I do not like our d-tackle situation and from my understanding it is the d-tackles that are the problem when a Bates defense gives up so many yards. They are supposed to hold the middle and create lanes for the LB's to roam behind them and stop the run. Even LB's that are not good have had success under this scheme. If the DT's get pushed or don't cause double teams, traffic builds at the second level and the LB's have a much harder time getting to the ball. Other than this, which may not be a problem for long, they have the same problem as the offense.

Six new starters just from last year to this year. Then you have to look at all of the youth on the d-line along with the new scheme. They do need an adjustment period but should be playing better than they are. I still feel that it will be worked out and it isn't time to panic yet. Bates is just learning what he needs to teach and what he can run that will work. If we can somehow find a way to get the DT's to be productive this season, I don't see our defense being near as bad as it has looked. I highly doubt it is even near as bad as it has been against the run by the end of the season.

In all, I would say give it some time. We have a hard stretch of games comming up and then a lot of mediocre teams after that. Shanahan doesn't allow his teams to play sloppy football. If it keeps up, people will get benched without question. When the rookie type mistakes stop happening and the turnovers are cut back, this team is going to win a lot of games. Trust me that it will be corrected and soon. I have never watched a Shanahan team be penalyzed and turn the ball over that much through an entire season, and a lot of those years where with far weaker teams than this one. This fact alone is what keeps me confident that the team isn't that bad. It isn't like we have one of these crap coaches that just allows sloppy play constantly and never figures out a way to fix it.

With all of that said, I will say that this team can easily go 12-4, winning the West, or it could be 8-8 if something isn't corrected soon on defense.

I have been real irritated by people just going off about how horrible this team is because of the first few weeks. I would rather be crappy in the first half of the season and put it together at the end than visa-versa. Just look at the Steelers team that won the SB. Noone thought they where even making playoffs by midpoint in the season.

SR
09-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Good post and I agree. My only beef with the way we've started out is that our first two games should have been tune-up games with the Jags being a test of what our team has come up with in the first two weeks. The first two weeks SHOULD have been blow outs, but we couldn't finish when we needed to. The problem with the way we've played so far is if we don't get our ducks in a row THIS week, we could potentially end up 2-3 by the end of next week. Yes the Chargers are struggling, but they're still the same team that finished 14-2 last year.

topscribe
09-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Actually, we match up better with Indy than we do Jax, IMO . . . that is, IF
Lynch and Foxy will be playing. The pass rush is improving, and our top two
CBs are tough. Some regard Foxy as the best #3 in football.

If Lynch and Foxy are both out, however, we had better be prepared to score
a bunch of points, because Indy likely will.

-----

broncosinindy
09-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I expected us to preform poorly this season. i know we had a lot of questions. i take the losses in stride.
From the sounds of it. i only got to watch a little of the game on NFL.com (me and the wife driving to colorado) The Fumbles played a huge role in our loss. The Defense not getting off the darn field. We have to figure out where the Run D is broke. if you want my opionon at this very time it is our DT's and our Middle backer.

Can anyone tell me how strong the pressue is on the QB. and why we didnt spy there QB. Where the heck is Rice and why does he not have any sacks. that is what he does.

i like what i hear about our o, its gonna sputter but you can see the bright spots once it jells. we have a awesome #2 and a great #3

Over all i am not happy with a loss but WE all knew they were gonna come.

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Actually, we match up better with Indy than we do Jax, IMO . . . that is, IF Lynch and Foxy will be playing. The pass rush is improving, and our top two

-----

There are things to be hopeful about. You know one of the bright spots on defense has been the play of 2nd year DE Elvis Dumervil and rookies Jarvis Moss and Marcus Thomas. Dumervil from his college day to now continues to have a knack for being around turnovers. Moss and Thomas in my opinion are showing improvement every week in their play. They may not be starters before the end of the year, but they may very well be big contributors by seasons end.

arapaho2
09-24-2007, 05:49 PM
well aside fro the porous defense and inept offense my big concern is the special teams

on defense although it looked bad but we only gave up one ...thats it..one long sustained drive the next longest drive was 52 yards for the jags second score...the rest of the jags drives that started in thier side of the field were ended by punting or the fumble..meaning we did stop them on thier side...we however need to shore up the third down stops, it wasnt the runs that hurt, they had a lead and they were gonna run the ball..it was the inability to stop them on 3rd and long...all their other scores were from us back to back fumbles in Fg range, and the dropped pass on forth down...

on offense we did move the ball, but with thier time consuming drives we couldnt get in rythem a side from the drive after our Td were selvin put the ball on the ground...we shot ourselfs in the foot by penelties and as in the stoppage on the goal line suspect calls...with eight men on the line do you think they knew we was gonna run up the gut,,but a qb draw with the goal line d stacked was the absalute wrong call:tsk:

so aside from that i believe it will get better on both sides...but!!!! the special teams rides the special bus...if it werent for champs tackles we would without a doubt have at least three TDs against us already this season...bad tackling, bad blocking and a return guy that while i had faith in him earlier , it seems he cannot see the holes if there are holes, he seems to get the ball and run directly into a tackle:confused:

we cannot expect to start 90% of our drives within the 20 and have success each game

Krugan
09-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Im just going to stick this in here, because its one of those things that has been itching and I need to scratch it.

This is not an overreaction, just a thought.

When is Rick Dennison going to replaced?

He took over the Oline and our run game dropped, rebounded abit as we moved on.

He took over for Kubes and the O has been terrible scoring points.

does he have something on Bowlen?

There has to be a reason he is still here and managed to move up the food chain despite not showing any reason to be.

Okay thats my spout for the day.

lex
09-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Amon Gordon isnt cutting it. They might as well let Marcus Thomas play on first down. Gordon can not hold his ground-- AT ALL. He's horrible. And then we also have a soft linebacker. As well. Sam Adams struggles a little but at least holds his ground most of the time. He just cant play off of the blocker he is engaged with to make a tackle. But at least he stands up and is capable of occupying blockers.

Watchthemiddle
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
We need to win all 3 areas of the game this week and our play calling and time management need to improve drastically.

Those two back to back TO's are unacceptable. And then going for it on a QB sneak instead of a FG cost us as well.

Its just one of those games that needs to be forgotten quick by players, coaches and FANS.

omac
09-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Its just one of those games that needs to be forgotten quick by players, coaches and FANS.

Or it could be the kick in the butt our team needs to start playing at a different level. It could be the reason we win the superbowl. :cheers:

jhns
09-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Actually, we match up better with Indy than we do Jax, IMO . . . that is, IF
Lynch and Foxy will be playing. The pass rush is improving, and our top two

-----

If we can limit the mistakes then we match up well with a lot of teams. We don't match up well with big physical teams like the Jags and the Steelers. I am worried about that game as well this season. We have always had trouble with teams like that.

I think if this team played mistake free football like Shanahan's teams normally do, they could beat anyone. There are a lot of playmakers on both sides of the ball this year.