PDA

View Full Version : Plummer honored by ASU

JakeGirl
09-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Plummer set for ASU's Hall
Jeff Metcalfe
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 22, 2007 12:00 AM

For the most part, Jake Plummer is no longer being asked if he's really retired from football.

"Now where we're at, people have let it go," said Plummer, who will be inducted into the Arizona State Athletic Hall of Fame tonight. "They're asking why did you retire. That's the question I get more than 'Are you going to Tampa Bay?' People see I wasn't kidding about being done and ready to move on. I'm really happy with the decision and very content."

Plummer was traded by the Denver Broncos to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in March but has not wavered from a decision to retire after 10 years in the NFL. He was the Cardinals' starting quarterback from 1997-2002, then signed as a free agent and played four seasons with the Broncos. advertisement

"I played a lot of ball. I was ready to go and do different stuff while I still have my legs and knees and my back is intact. I'm not in perfect shape, but I'm as close as I could be for a 32-year-old. I want to make sure I can do some fun things like playing handball."

Handball is the new sport of choice for Plummer, who is entered in a major California tournament with his brother Eric. Eric and his other brother Brett have been Idaho state handball champions.

"It's a very competitive sport," Plummer said. "You have to be involved to explain the camaraderie. I can have a match set up in an hour anywhere in town with any number of players. They accept you immediately without any questions.

"When the first Sunday (of the NFL) rolled around, I was busy enjoying myself. It was a lot of stress in my life. Not in a bad way, just the weight that playing ball carries, especially in a city like Denver. It's nice to be able to relax. I'm enjoying watching from that perspective, as a fan and not as a player."

Plummer and six others will be honored during halftime ceremonies at Sun Devil Stadium. He was 24-16 as a four-year starter at ASU and left with school records for passing yards (8,827), touchdown passes (65) and completions (632). Those records have been eclipsed by Andrew Walter.

Plummer said he is excited about Dennis Erickson being the new Sun Devils coach, especially given his ties to Erickson's staff.

Dan Cozzetto, back as tight ends coach, was offensive coordinator under Bruce Snyder and was involved in recruiting Plummer out of Boise, Idaho, in February 1993.

Rich Olson, now ASU offensive coordinator, was offensive coordinator in Plummer's final two seasons with the Cardinals.

"His track record speaks for itself," Plummer said of Erickson. "His potential for recruiting should put us on the map and give us a chance to get back to the year we had when I was a senior."

Plummer is here with his wife, Kollette. They were married on Aug. 26 and are living in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. "I'm lucky I found a woman who can put up with me," he said. "She's my big support."

He wants to have a family and eventually try coaching. "Not any higher than the high school level," because of the time commitment in college and pro, he said. "It's a game I love and played all my life. It'll be hard to keep me away."

Plummer said he'll be representing all of his ASU teammates tonight, including the late Pat Tillman.

"It's kind of funny, I was at ASU four years and with the Cardinals for six," Plummer said Friday. "When I come back, what stands out is those years at ASU and the Rose Bowl year (1996 season). It was fun that one big year with the Cardinals (1998 playoffs), but nothing like making it to the Rose Bowl."

Best Regards,

Kapaibro
09-24-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't care what people say, I like Jake, and I think he's a pretty classy guy.

topscribe
09-24-2007, 04:43 PM
I hated Jake, as a football player, back in his ASU days. :mad:

He always beat the U of A. :ahhhhh:

But I am grateful to him for three playoff years and a lot of exciting football. :beer:

-----

Lonestar
09-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Hope he has a bunch of kids and is happy most folks can not walk away and be content. But then of course most folks do not marry Kolette.

BroncoWave
09-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Mtnman, I disliked Plummer as much as you when he played here but it's pretty low-class to continue to kick him into the ground when he's retired and moved on with his life. Just let it go man!

topscribe
09-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Totally disagree...

If not for Denver, Jake would have gone down in the annuls of NFL history as a sub .500 QB with more INTs than TDs.

Jake only had succss BECAUSE of Denver.
Shades of Archie Manning and Steve Bartkowski.

That is the case with any QB. Give them a poor supporting cast, and they
will not do as well. Give them a better one, and they will do better. I know
you have no used for Jake, Mtnman, but you just stated the case for any
quarterback.

Do you really think Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Carson Palmer would do
as well with the Cardinals of the Plummer era as they are doing now?

So how about allowing a congratulatory thread be just that, rather than to
throw these old, worn out bashes against Jake onto the message board? :tsk:

-----

topscribe
09-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't get why you have a problem with what I said.

JR said that he would have been great "if not for being in Denver in Elway's shadow."

I stated that Jake only had success when he came here.

Of course the supporting cast has something to do with it. I never said it didn't.

But to say that he would have been great if he didn't come to Denver was something I didn't agree with.

I guess OPINIONS about Jake can only be made if you think he was/is a "great guy."

Sorry, but Denver didn't pay him to be a great guy. They paid him to be a great QB. Something he fell short of.

I have problem with it because this is supposed to be a positive congratulatory
thread, not a negative debate on whether or not he was a good quarterback.

-----

topscribe
09-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Well, that's your OPINION.

I don't happen to agree with the notion that he was such a "great guy." I don't happen to think he is some sort of special person because he retired.

If I had posted an opposite type of thread, are you saying you would be jumping on anyone who disagreed with me? Or would I get the "he's gone - let it go" speech.

Seems like those who liked him want it both ways.
No one doubts that you don't like Jake. But this is not that type of thread,
and you just tarnished it by making it another good Jake/bad Jake debate.
There are times to give your OPINION and times not to give you OPINION.

If you posted a thread congratulating a player I didn't like, no I absolutely
would not hijack it to give my OPINION on that player. No, I would not.

Mtnman, you are one of our best posters and one of my best friends. I've
made no secret of that. You are above this, aren't you?

-----

SR
09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm sick of the Jake debate already. This thread has gone way off topic. Congrats to Jake for moving on with his life and starting his family that he's been after for so long.

topscribe
09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
So, did JR hijack the thread by saying Jake would have been great if not coming to Denver?

What did that have to do with the ASU thing?

I repeat, you guys want it both ways.

I'll delete my posts and let the lovefest continue. It's good to know where things stand when it comes to Saint Jake.

:coffee:
Nah, that's okay. The thread is already ruined.

-----

BroncoWave
09-24-2007, 05:49 PM
If you post, you invite feedback, from those who agree and from those who disagree.

How come it's only guys like me who are asked to "let it go?" How come the infatuated ones aren't asked to do the same?

If he's gone, then he's gone for both of us, right?

Sorry, but as long as the feedback isn't personal and deals with the topic, it's welcome.

I'm just not sure what you are trying to gain from continually bashing him. Everyone already knows your opinion on him. I didn't like him as a QB either but I stand by my statement that continuing to bash him and kick dirt on him is low-class and unnecessary now that he has moved on with his life. This board would be a much better place, IMO, if people like you would quit trying to fuel these Jake-Jay debates. It doesn't do anyone any good.

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 05:56 PM
So, did JR hijack the thread by saying Jake would have been great if not coming to Denver?

What did that have to do with the ASU thing?

I repeat, you guys want it both ways.

I'll delete my posts and let the lovefest continue. It's good to know where things stand when it comes to Saint Jake.

Come on Mntman there's no need for that. I don't think was great quartback by any means but to go out of your way to say ASU Hall of Fame is the only HoF he will be inducted into wasn't necessary. It's obvious he wont ever get a bust in Canton so really wasn't any need to say this.

sneakers
09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
I hated Jake, as a football player, back in his ASU days. :mad:

He always beat the U of A. :ahhhhh:

But I am grateful to him for three playoff years and a lot of exciting football. :beer:

-----

"Exciting" is the key word with Jake...he was always that. Not necessarly the good exciting, but always exciting.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks much for posting JakeGirl, and to get back on topic as to what the thread was about - my congratulations to Jake for being honored by ASU.

Watchthemiddle
09-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks much for posting JakeGirl, and to get back on topic as to what the thread was about - my congratulations to Jake for being honored by ASU.

Amen to that DN.

:beer:

ChampWJ
09-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Jake Who???

keithbishop
09-25-2007, 06:06 AM

Ditto. Congrats, Jake.