PDA

View Full Version : A new Broncos fan needing initiation

kennu
02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Hey everyone,
I am a displaced DC resident, victimized from Hurricane Snyder, and I need to relocate. The damage the hurricane has done to DC has devastated the area irreparably, so this will be a permanent move for me. I'm hoping Denver and the Broncos fans will take me in and provide me with shelter.

I picked the Broncos because I love Denver (I've been out there 5-6 times), the fans are passionate and loyal, and your owner seems to both respect the fans and have the respect of the fans.

I'm on the board here asking you guys what are the best sources for information related to the team - is it the Denver Post or something else? And what are the big issues going on with the team right now that I should know about? Obviously the hiring of Fox, the Tebow/Orton dilemma, who to draft at #2, and I think I've heard murmurs that Champ Bailey will be gone as well. What am I missing?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Bullgator
02-10-2011, 02:58 PM
:welcome:

If you are not an avid TT backer or Gator fan, then you will be accepted with open arms...and if you are cheers! but you might want to buy a jar of vasiline and somthing to bite down on.

For the most part DB fans are cool though :beer:

BroncoStud
02-10-2011, 02:59 PM

The Glue Factory
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
First: Welcome to Bronco Forums!

Second:
Best source of news? Here!

Seriously, you'll see just about any and all articles linked within minutes if not seconds of them being published. I don't really bother with my local paper (Springs Gazette) since they're a morning paper reporting yesterday's news. I read it here long before the Gazette is even printed!

Last:
Hope everything goes well with the move. Would DC stand for Dade County?

Slick
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm sure Beef would love to meat you.

kennu
02-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Glue,
I knew upon reading my own post that my analogy sucked. I'm not actually moving anywhere. I just picked up a new NFL team because I refuse to root for Dan Snyder's team. I knew it was final when I realized I won't even care if they ever get good again, because I just don't like a single thing about how the franchise is run. Going with the Broncos is a permanent move. And I'm still living in the DC (Washington, DC that is) area.

Bull,
Not a TT backer or Gator fan, although I must say that while I rooted against Tebow in college, I'm pulling for him to succeed in the pros so that all the people who value the tangibles over the intangibles can be proven wrong.

Thanks for being so welcoming, everyone. Looking forward to getting the news from this site!

One last thing: what's with the Adopt-a-Bronco?

dogfish
02-10-2011, 03:14 PM
initiation?

it typically invloves taping rookies to the goalposts and things of that nature, but due to your remote location i'm sure we can work something else out. . .

let's start with boob pics-- yours if you have 'em, otherwise your wife or GF. . . and we'll go from there. . .

:beer:

HORSEPOWER 56
02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Welcome, kennu. You've made the right choice. Not only did you pick the right team, you picked the right MB. This one is a lot smaller, member/regular wise so you get less trolling and more knowledgeable folks here than I've seen on other MBs.

This is where I get all my Bronco's news. Within minutes of something being posted, typed, tweeted, blogged or pony expressed about the Broncos anywhere in the football world, typically Carol has it posted here.

There are a lot of fantastic posters here, you'll learn a lot. I learn new stuff all the time.

Oh, about those boob pics dogfish referenced, can we get them in HD? :D

lgenf
02-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I will just say W-E-L-C-O-M-E!!!

I just joined the team last year when the Broncos picked TT in the draft and have been learning about the team ever since.

here let me catch you up:

we weren't that good, we fired the coach and benched the orton, TT came in on a white horse, finished the season with some excitement.

Our defense is crap, but at least we play our best players

we (most of us) are hoping for a hugely defensive centric draft so that we fix most holes there with youth

we need a good TE that can block and catch

our O-Line was young and played badly at first, but showed real signs of growth at the end and we may be OK there.

we need a RB badly as we have a glass one right now

we get our No 1 pick back from IR (yep TT was the 2nd pick)

some are happy about the coach
FIX THE D - but don't kill the excitement of the Tebow

one bit of warning - as bull said above
if you are going to post anything positive about TT then HANG ON - because you did not grow up in Denver or have not cheered for them since the beginning of time, you may be considered a Tebowner

hotcarl
02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
welcome to stinktown!

jhildebrand
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Word of advice-watch what you say to HotCarl! He is a mod with a big ban hammer and he don't mess around. I think his favorite saying is "punks jump up to get beat down." I see he banned 7 noobs just last week.

Good luck Kennu.

dogfish
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
and if you get any PMs from claymore, run!

kennu
02-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Hahaha, thanks for the tips everyone.

Will get to work on the wife boob shots...

dogfish
02-10-2011, 04:12 PM

good man, welcome aboard!

kennu
02-10-2011, 04:19 PM
So here's a question - what's the fan base's overall reaction to the Fox hiring? I think he's a good coach, thought he got a tough rap in Carolina considering the talent he had to work with.

dogfish
02-10-2011, 04:22 PM
honestly, your best resource for this kind of stuff is going to be going back and reading through older threads, where you can follow the conversation as it developed rather than getting somebody's synopsis in hindsight. . . scroll back a few pages in this main forum, you'll find plenty of threads dealing with all the recent topics. . .

frauschieze
02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Welcome to our slice of the interwebs. :cheers:

GEM
02-10-2011, 04:32 PM
welcome to stinktown!

He's moving to Commerce City?

BigSarge87
02-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry you've made a huge mistake, this is a Boise State forum.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Hey kennu - :welcome: as a new Broncos fan, and :welcome: to Broncos Forums.

I suggest you listen to 87.7 the ticket each Friday morning at 8:00 MST - it's the John Elway Show. Eddie McCaffery is also on there weekly.

http://www.877theticket.com/ they have all previous Elway shows on there that you can listen to.

Also, you might want to listen to http://www.1043thefan.com/home.aspx
Best time is starting at 1:00 MST, as that is when local sports is on. Mark Schlereth is on there daily during the week starting at MST.

Under On Demand, there are podcasts you can listen to.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Welcome...

Just curious, what was your process for choosing your new team? Was there a bracket? Pro/Con list? What were your qualifiers and deal breakers?

Just wondering. I switched from the Blue Jays to the Mets a few years back and actually made a list of specific criteria. Blue Jays stopped even trying to win and I got disheartened. I wanted a team I could easily travel to see. I wanted to see an effort from the front office to win, but didn't wanna be bandwagon. Had to like the colors/uniforms/logo. My final 4 was Detroit, St. Louis, Washington and NY Mets. I lived in Harrisburg, PA at the time and the Expos/Washington team's AA team was in Harrisburg. They'd have won out had their team name not bee the Nationals w/ the predictable RW and B colors. I always liked the Cards and the Tigers had just lost 100 games, but signed a few folks. Weird cuz the Tigers played the Cards for the title shortly AFTER I switched up and the Mets have disappointed...but I still love em and they're at least making an effort. Their location (2.5 hours from Harrisburg) was the clincher...along w/ the Orange and Blue!!!

jhildebrand
02-10-2011, 09:09 PM
On Fox:

I think he is the right guy for right now-a guy to rebuild with.

He won 7 games with Rodney Peete (Tim Tebow lite) the year after Carolina went 1-15!

He is the Anti McDaniels.

He turned around the Panthers in two years.

His ownership went in a different direction and left him hanging last year.

While there are some great coaches I wanted the first time around I think Fox is the right guy for now. We have some major rebuilding to do!

kennu
02-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks again everyone for all the info.

Smilin - a year ago I did a bracket, based on 7 criteria for each matchup, the criteria were fans, history, uniforms, current record (didn't want to jump on a bandwagon), city, proximity to home, and something else I'm forgetting. Of course I ended up with a Ravens/Redskins final (probably in large part due to proximity to home basically breaking all ties). I'm glad I'm not the only person that's ever thought of the bracket idea! God, the internet is great.

This time around, I just picked Denver without going through the other hassle. I like the city, I like the uniforms, they have a history of success but they are at a lower point now, and most importantly the owner is respected and respects the fans (to my knowledge). I stopped letting proximity factor in; since I refuse to go to Redskins games anyway (among other things, Snyder charges $30 to park in a satellite lot a mile from the stadium and take a shuttle there), there was no difference between rooting for a team 20 miles away and a team 2,000 miles away. I eschewed the Ravens because it would have been a total slap in the face to my friends that are staying loyal to the Skins, they are winning now and they're right up the road. It's kind of like a woman leaving her husband for his better looking brother that lives a block away.

PAINTERDAVE
02-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Welcome aboard. :welcome:

The cool thing is...
you can grow right along with us...
we are at an all time low point. :elefant:

No where to go from here but UP ^ :beer:

You said you hope Tebow does well...
so do we all (well most of us) :lol:

The bandwagon is rolling...
and right now there are plenty of seats. :salute:

Dirk
02-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Welcome aboard Kennu!

You found the right forum to join. Best out there for the Denver Broncos. I checked out a few of them but always came back here. You can't beat this site. The community here is top notch!

lgenf
02-11-2011, 09:58 AM
ok, so I need to edit my previous post, we are not getting Thomas back from IR this year, crappppppppppp!!!!

welcome to our hell, but as I said before, at least we play our best players, so that won't be a frustration you see here

JaxBroncoGirl
02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
So here's a question - what's the fan base's overall reaction to the Fox hiring? I think he's a good coach, thought he got a tough rap in Carolina considering the talent he had to work with.

I'm holding out on Fox, I want to see him succeed. So, I really want to see what he does in the next 2 years. As you probably know the McD fiasco left this team a little on the slim side. Instead of being negative about Fox, I personally am giving him a thumbs up until something tells me otherwise. Welcome!

NightTrainLayne
02-11-2011, 11:07 AM
It's kind of like a woman leaving her husband for his better looking brother that lives a block away.

So you picked us. . .I'm not sure how to take that. . .. :D

Welcome to the Broncos, and welcome to our board. We have a couple other regulars here that live in the D.C./Baltimore area as well, Northman and Bronconut.

I think most of us are in wait and see mode with Fox. We have a LOT of work to do, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Buff
02-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I've never understood the concept of just randomly picking a team and starting to cheer for them. It's one thing to say it, but do you actually have any vested interest in them? Honest question, not trying to question your fanaticism.

Every team I cheer for picked me. Like, I would love to not root for the Buffs, but it's like a sickness that I can't get rid of.

topscribe
02-11-2011, 11:30 AM

Not sure I liked you . . . until now. :D

Sources for Broncos info:

BroncosForums.com (here), of course.
MHR: http://www.milehighreport.com/
"It's All Over, Fat Man!" http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/
Sometimes you can work around the BS on "104.3 The Fan" for some pretty good info http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Home.aspx

Then for a good laugh, there's the Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos?source=nav_ins_sports
A couple writers there, Woody Paige and Mark Kiszla, will have you rolling on the floor, either in hysteria or in pain.

Hope that helps . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

P.S. Oh, and don't listen to some of these guys about Orton. They don't know a good QB from a shot-putter . . . :D

-----

topscribe
02-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I've never understood the concept of just randomly picking a team and starting to cheer for them. It's one thing to say it, but do you actually have any vested interest in them? Honest question, not trying to question your fanaticism.

Every team I cheer for picked me. Like, I would love to not root for the Buffs, but it's like a sickness that I can't get rid of.

That is truly, truly a sickness. You need help.

Ask any CSU fan . . . :D

-----

frauschieze
02-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks again everyone for all the info.

Smilin - a year ago I did a bracket, based on 7 criteria for each matchup, the criteria were fans, history, uniforms, current record (didn't want to jump on a bandwagon), city, proximity to home, and something else I'm forgetting. Of course I ended up with a Ravens/Redskins final (probably in large part due to proximity to home basically breaking all ties). I'm glad I'm not the only person that's ever thought of the bracket idea! God, the internet is great.

This time around, I just picked Denver without going through the other hassle. I like the city, I like the uniforms, they have a history of success but they are at a lower point now, and most importantly the owner is respected and respects the fans (to my knowledge). I stopped letting proximity factor in; since I refuse to go to Redskins games anyway (among other things, Snyder charges $30 to park in a satellite lot a mile from the stadium and take a shuttle there), there was no difference between rooting for a team 20 miles away and a team 2,000 miles away. I eschewed the Ravens because it would have been a total slap in the face to my friends that are staying loyal to the Skins, they are winning now and they're right up the road. It's kind of like a woman leaving her husband for his better looking brother that lives a block away.

A friend of mine dumped the Steelers for a new team many years ago. His rule (taught to him by his boss when he was in high school working fast food) is this: You can change teams only between seasons and only to the team that had the worst record the year before. Then and only then, could there be no criticizing bandwagoner comments. So he became a Cardinals fan and has been diehard ever since.

Like Buff, I can't imagine changing teams, it's in my blood now. But I still welcome you aboard, whatever your process of deciding to follow.

NightTrainLayne
02-11-2011, 11:59 AM
A friend of mine dumped the Steelers for a new team many years ago. His rule (taught to him by his boss when he was in high school working fast food) is this: You can change teams only between seasons and only to the team that had the worst record the year before. Then and only then, could there be no criticizing bandwagoner comments. So he became a Cardinals fan and has been diehard ever since.

Like Buff, I can't imagine changing teams, it's in my blood now. But I still welcome you aboard, whatever your process of deciding to follow.

The Steelers had a couple of lean years, but I can't imagine a true Steeler fan ever leaving with the great ownership group they have.

Boy. . .that SuperBowl must have just absolutely killed your friend. How ironic is that.

frauschieze
02-11-2011, 12:20 PM
The Steelers had a couple of lean years, but I can't imagine a true Steeler fan ever leaving with the great ownership group they have.

Boy. . .that SuperBowl must have just absolutely killed your friend. How ironic is that.

He was not a happy camper, that is for sure. The words that came out of his mouth are not for young ears. :shocked:

He left the Steelers because he'd originally chosen them as a young kid because they were good and everyone else liked them. He didn't feel an actual connection with the team, so I guess you could say he wasn't a true fan.

Buff
02-11-2011, 01:18 PM
That is truly, truly a sickness. You need help.

Ask any CSU fan . . . :D

-----

I will be sure to ask them next time I hit the McDonalds drive-thru.

BroncoNut
02-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm a diehard Hawkeye fan even though I graduated from ISU (cyclones). I grew up close to the U of I and in Iowa there is no pro team so the Hawks were big. i tried to be a NASCAR fan once because I thought it would be cool. I couldn't decide on a driver so my interest waned. I'm thinking about becoming a Capitols fan (hockey). baseball. love the game, but just have a tough time following it. It would be a gas to be a fan though I bet. I'd probably become a Nationals fan if I went that route too.

We all chart our own courses in this life Kennu. Do what YOU feel is best. Congratulations on your selection of the Denver Broncos and welcome aboard :salute:

gnomeflinger
02-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Word of advice-watch what you say to HotCarl! He is a mod with a big ban hammer and he don't mess around. I think his favorite saying is "punks jump up to get beat down." I see he banned 7 noobs just last week.

Good luck Kennu.

If HotCarl is a mod, then please cancel my membership right now. :rolleyes:

BroncoNut
02-11-2011, 02:22 PM

are you serious?

hotcarl
02-11-2011, 03:56 PM

queued up for ban!

BroncoNut
02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
queued up for ban!

Stop it Gnome!! he's effin serious!

gnomeflinger
02-11-2011, 05:08 PM
There is no way HotCarl is a moderator in Broncos Forums. Prove it if he is.

dogfish
02-11-2011, 05:12 PM
it's like the illuminati, gnomie-- ultra top secret. . .

gnomeflinger
02-11-2011, 05:17 PM
it's like the illuminati, gnomie-- ultra top secret. . .

I learned all about the Illuminati from Dan Brown. I'm in the know.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Ill admit that for me, my buddies who were Mets fans took me to Shea and I had a great time. That prolly clinched it for me. I had a memory to attach to the team. But I also had a feel for the teams who were finalists. Everyone has teams they "like" besides their own, for whatever reason. And sometimes they change, but I don't believe any of you hate 31 NFL teams.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-11-2011, 05:55 PM
And BTW, Kennu...who did u like BEFORE the Skins? You said you chose them a year ago. What made ya switch the first time?

kennu
02-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Smilin -
I was a lifelong Skins fan (save for a time when I also like the Steve Young 49ers right after he took over for Montana, for some reason I really sympathized with him). Last year, I tried to pick another team with that bracket thing, and still ended up with the Skins!

To the people wondering how I can throw myself into the Broncos out of the blue, it's a valid question and that's definitely gonna be the hard part. Ditching the Redskins is easy, that has already happened and it happened organically. The reason to pick a new team was that I was basically an NFL atheist this past season and it did take a little excitement out, I didn't really have a vested interest in any game except my fantasy players, which wasn't fun. So, I'm going to try to throw myself into the Broncos. Like I said in the first post, I love the city, the owner is respectful to fans and respected by them as well. I'm clearly not hopping on a bandwagon.

Hopefully it works out!

JaxBroncoGirl
02-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Kennu,

Welcome, being a person that never liked the NFL (always a college girl). Very much enjoying the Broncos. You know I joined because of Tebow and I found myself totally lost when it came to the Bronco History. Over time I had to adjust and found myself wanting more and more information about the Broncos. I came in at a good time the Broncos were and are at their lowest point in their history in my opinion. It is a good thing, we can only go up from here. Loved learning about our mistakes within the past 2 or 3 years and look forward to growing with the New Team or at least a New Era.

For the life of me I still cannot understand how McDaniels ended up with so much power.... He is too young to be a head coach, he created a losing situation for the team and it ended up being a disaster. Glad that I'm apart of the change, now I get to see growth. Love Gaffney, Royal and I am starting to look at clips of Clady. The only bad part is I do not get to see the games live. I am always reading or seeing the game 2nd hand. Its ok, I can deal. My first NFL jersey well you know it is #15 Broncos!!!!