PDA

View Full Version : If the Broncos plan to trade down, they need a QB to rise on the draft board

TXBRONC
02-10-2011, 09:13 AM
If the Broncos plan to trade down, they need a QB to rise on the draft board
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/10/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

If the Broncos really want to turn the No. 2 pick in this year's NFL draft into more picks, they need a quarterback to rise on the draft board. Not for the Broncos, necessarily, but for somebody else to want a quarterback badly enough to trade up to get him.

If there is no new collective bargaining agreement by the start of the April 28-30 draft — a lockout is looming March 4 — teams will only be allowed to make trades involving draft picks.

No NFL players could be involved in any trade.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17342549

Even if one of the top quarterbacking prospects just blows up the combine I think still be extremely hard to move down.

BroncoStud
02-10-2011, 10:32 AM
This sucks, get a deal done! What a horrible season to finally get a top 5 draft pick.

vandammage13
02-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Cam Newton (or as Al Davis says, Kim Newton) has a workout today...Maybe he can wow some people enough to work his way up. I don't think anyone else has the potential to make a move that high.

I'm really not even sold on Newton all that much and don't think that he's necessarily the best QB in this draft, but to me, he seems to be the only guy that could possibly move up that high between now and the draft due to his athleticism.

vandammage13
02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Question: is it possible to make a trade on a current NFL player before the current CBA expires?

Buff
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Speculating about trading out of the #2 slot is a waste of time IMO. History has proven that it's not going to happen.

I think trading out of the #34 slot is a real possibility, especially if the NFL follows the same scheduling format as last year with the 2nd round kicking off the second day.

BroncoNut
02-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Speculating about trading out of the #2 slot is a waste of time IMO. History has proven that it's not going to happen.

I think trading out of the #34 slot is a real possibility, especially if the NFL follows the same scheduling format as last year with the 2nd round kicking off the second day.

I either misunderstand your statement here, or challenge you on that Buff. I am not an authority whatsoever on what the current situation is in regard to draft talent and NFL team needs, but it seems to me that if there's a team out there needing a qb and a promising one in the upcoming draft, for example, that this would be a pretty viable option.

Buff
02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I either misunderstand your statement here, or challenge you on that Buff. I am not an authority whatsoever on what the current situation is in regard to draft talent and NFL team needs, but it seems to me that if there's a team out there needing a qb and a promising one in the upcoming draft, for example, that this would be a pretty viable option.

A team would need to have a once-in-a-generation grade on a guy in order to pay the exorbitant cost of players/draft picks required to trade up into the Top 3. Based on the draft value chart that most teams use as a guideline, the value of the number two pick just isn't worth the price needed to trade for it.

As I've said before: If no one tried to trade up for Suh or Bradford last year, then they aren't going to trade up for a QB or DT this year when those players available have a lower grade than Suh and Bradford did last year.

BroncoJoe
02-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Question: is it possible to make a trade on a current NFL player before the current CBA expires?

Nope.

BroncoNut
02-10-2011, 11:59 AM
^ fair enough, . I'm sure it's rare but does happen sometimes. Not this year though, I don't see, and I guess that's really all that matters

BroncoNut
02-10-2011, 11:59 AM

No Van, it is not

PAINTERDAVE
02-10-2011, 12:03 PM
This sucks, get a deal done! What a horrible season to finally get a top 5 draft pick.

Exactly... because part of what could make trading down happen...
is being able to also throw in or swap existing players under contract.

This is certainly bad timing.

We can't trade Orton and DJ or Gaffney or whoever for draft picks this year, either...

oh well... we will get to stockpile those picks for 2012, I guess.

Ravage!!!
02-10-2011, 12:11 PM
as many holes as we have, trading DJ would be a bad idea. He's a solid player that can play very well outside in a 43. Would make no sense to create more holes to try and fill holes. Thats what the last coach did.

But Buff is dead on and used a perfect example of last year's draft. Bradford, and especially Suh, are MUCH better than any of the prospects coming out now. Its just too expensive to move up, unless you are only talkign 1 or 2 spots, and there just isn't "that" player worth the picks this year.

Dirk
02-10-2011, 12:16 PM
If a team is high on Blaine Gabbert they could trade with us to grab him before Buffalo does. I think Buffalo is going to go after him. Fitz did great IMO for the Bills and I would stay with him but my gut tells me that Buffalo isn't sold on him. Also Ariz, Tenn and SF could be after him.

There is a possibility that there will be trade partners for the #2 overall.

PAINTERDAVE
02-10-2011, 12:18 PM
There is talk that Dallas is interested in Peterson...

PAINTERDAVE
02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
as many holes as we have, trading DJ would be a bad idea. He's a solid player that can play very well outside in a 43. Would make no sense to create more holes to try and fill holes. Thats what the last coach did.

But Buff is dead on and used a perfect example of last year's draft. Bradford, and especially Suh, are MUCH better than any of the prospects coming out now. Its just too expensive to move up, unless you are only talkign 1 or 2 spots, and there just isn't "that" player worth the picks this year.

I agree... was just using him as an example...

however... we dont know what the team is gonna do...
who they are going to trade. DJ has been talked of often.
I agree that we should keep him... especially since the FA/CBA status is so unclear...
but who know who will end up on our team this season?
Gotta trade value to get any value back.

Ravage!!!
02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I agree... was just using him as an example...

however... we dont know what the team is gonna do...
who they are going to trade. DJ has been talked of often.
I agree that we should keep him... especially since the FA/CBA status is so unclear...
but who know who will end up on our team this season?
Gotta trade value to get any value back.

Yeah.. but why trade a viable player on the team only to create another hole we would have to fill with yet another pick?

Trading away DJ would get us what... one other pick and moving down in the draft 2 spots? That not value, imo.

underrated29
02-10-2011, 12:46 PM
I still stand by the fact, that it is highly likely arizona could want to trade up and take gabbert or newton....instead of buffalo.....

However, having said that. I think buffalo wants newton, so AZ could just let buf take newton and then grab gabbert. But Miami and Tennesee could also be in the mix.

I think it is more likely then some want to admit. Still, i think we stand pat and take our guy

Bullgator
02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
If a team is high on Blaine Gabbert they could trade with us to grab him before Buffalo does. I think Buffalo is going to go after him. Fitz did great IMO for the Bills and I would stay with him but my gut tells me that Buffalo isn't sold on him. Also Ariz, Tenn and SF could be after him.

There is a possibility that there will be trade partners for the #2 overall.

beleive it or not the same could be said for the titans trading up to get cam newton before buffalo picks him up... although i personally believe the chance of that is microscopic.. but the rumors out there

Lonestar
02-10-2011, 08:56 PM
A team would need to have a once-in-a-generation grade on a guy in order to pay the exorbitant cost of players/draft picks required to trade up into the Top 3. Based on the draft value chart that most teams use as a guideline, the value of the number two pick just isn't worth the price needed to trade for it.

As I've said before: If no one tried to trade up for Suh or Bradford last year, then they aren't going to trade up for a QB or DT this year when those players available have a lower grade than Suh and Bradford did last year.

I suspect the draft value chArt will be worthless once the new pay scale hits the CBA.

If some one wants a player bad enough they will go after hom regardless of cost.

I think the bungals will dRaft a QB right after our pick since planer appears to be retiring. To get out of bungal land.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums