PDA

View Full Version : Ecstatic about Pittman ....

omac
09-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Pittman, he only averages 6.3 attempts rushing per game, yet he's 2nd in the league in rushing TDs at 4 over 3 games. He runs with confidence in short yardage situations; nothing fancy, just barrelling ahead, usually very upright too. :D

He catches passes real well, and he has surprisingly good game speed.

Just think, a lot of us thought he wouldn't make the final cut. I'm sure glad Shanny kept him. :cheers:

MHCBill
09-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Pittman and Weigman are two signings that the Shanny haters will forget about the next time they throw him under the bus for bad FA signings.

Ziggy
09-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I think the most important thing Pittman does is pick up the blitz on third downs. He has been one of the reasons that the Oline hasn't given up a sack.

omac
09-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I think the most important thing Pittman does is pick up the blitz on third downs. He has been one of the reasons that the Oline hasn't given up a sack.

I hand't noticed that. That's another huge plus. I also read one of our RBs say he likes running behind him, because he's faster than the average FB, so that his blocks are set up faster.

I also noticed he has pretty good vision; he knows where the blocks are developing, and where the defense is flowing towards, and usually makes the right read.

honz
09-25-2008, 06:58 PM
I like Pittman as a 3rd down back on passing 3rd downs...not so much as a short yardage/goal line back. I look forward to seeing what Torain can do as a short yardage back when he gets back.

All in all though, I am happy we kept Pittman. He is a solid back to have on the team and seems to have a good attitude from everything I have read about him and everything he has said since he came here.

claymore
09-25-2008, 06:58 PM
I didnt like Pittman because of the stuff he did to his baby and babies momma... But I have forgiven him over the last few weeks. :drinking:

LRtagger
09-25-2008, 07:06 PM
The question is, will he still have a spot on the roster after Torain comes back?

Broncos Mtnman
09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
The "P" in Pittman stands for POINTS!!

:beer:

Buff
09-25-2008, 07:27 PM
The question is, will he still have a spot on the roster after Torain comes back?

Torrain already has a roster spot, so I don't see why he wouldn't. Plus, I don't see how you could cut the guy the way he's been playing.

Serve me up some crow, I thought he'd get cut. I'm with Honz, I still don't love his short yardage ability, but he's been solid and exceeded expectations.

LoyalSoldier
09-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Amazing how Pittman looks much better running behind the first string offensive line isn't it?

broncosfanscott
09-25-2008, 10:53 PM
He is an doing good at blocking as well as those tough yards. Good to have a RB when we are inside the 10 yd. line.

Tebow4Ever
09-26-2008, 12:34 AM

Definately, If for nothing else then the veteran leadership he brings to a very young RB group.

shank
09-26-2008, 02:32 AM
i'll share that crow buff, i called for pittman's head and he's played very well. sorry michael.

Dreadnought
09-26-2008, 05:52 AM
I didn't see anyuse for the guy either, and didn't think he'd make the roster. Wrong!

I love it when I'm wrong on something like this!

broncofaninfla
09-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Pittman has been a solid addition to the Broncos. He get's the tough yards, the TD's and makes the key blocks.

Lonestar
09-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Torrain already has a roster spot, so I don't see why he wouldn't. Plus, I don't see how you could cut the guy the way he's been playing.

Serve me up some crow, I thought he'd get cut. I'm with Honz, I still don't love his short yardage ability, but he's been solid and exceeded expectations.

I think being on the PUP they need to cut someone when/if he is brought back on..

Amazing how Pittman looks much better running behind the first string offensive line isn't it?

Having a REAL Oline for change is HUGE.. Lots of things work when you control the LOS..

broncobryce
09-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Have you guys seen him help Clady or Harris? Sometimes when he's coming out of the backfield he will 'chip' or whatever its called (where Harris or Clady are blocking, and Pittman will run by and hit the DE) It's legal, and I've seen him absolutely STONE guys. We need guys like this, hungry, willing to do anything.

Ziggy
09-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Having a REAL Oline for change is HUGE.. Lots of things work when you control the LOS..

Shhhhh......don't say that too loud. Most of this forum wanted us to use our first round pick on a RB. That's what really matters, a good rb. A better offensive line won't make that much of a difference. :laugh:

LRtagger
09-26-2008, 12:15 PM

Yes but if Torain comes in as the stud horse everyone says he is, then he will be able to take the goal line carries, short yardage carries, and another 10-15 carries throughout the game. There wont be a need for Pittman if Torain can do the same thing and then some.

If that works out we can add an additional body for depth at another position.

broncobryce
09-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Torrain hasn't convinced me he's not injury prone. I would keep Pittman at least for this season, regardless.

GJCTFAN
09-26-2008, 01:02 PM
I think being on the PUP they need to cut someone when/if he is brought back on..

Pretty sure he is not on PUP. You can only put a player on PUP if he was injured prior to training camp. He's on the active roster already which means no one needs to be cut.

omac
09-27-2008, 06:30 AM

And on that note ....

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/24/broncos-report-pittman-helps-keep-cutler-on-his/

Broncos report: Pittman helps keep Cutler on his feet
The Rocky
Published September 24, 2008 at 5:42 p.m.

Broncos running back Michael Pittman likes touchdowns just fine.

But he knows what else the Broncos want from him.

"When you look at running backs, you can't always find guys who can pick up linebackers when they block," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said Wednesday. "You can't always find guys who know when to chip the defensive end on the way by, and the guys who can do that can't always get the ball in on the goal line.

"Michael can do all that."

Pittman leads the Broncos with four rushing touchdowns - they have come on runs of 3, 2, 1 and 1 yards - and has been the team's chief option in short-yardage situations.

But the 6-foot, 225-pounder also is the team's running back in several third-down situations because, not only can he catch the ball when he needs to, but he is the best pass protector among the backs.

And running backs coaches around the league will say a player cannot be in the game at the position on third down and other passing situations if he cannot pick up blitzing linebackers or safeties and at least slow defensive ends.

"I take my job seriously, no matter what I do," Pittman said. "One-on-one situations like that, I take it personally. I feel like my guy is not going to be the one to get a sack or a hit on (quarterback) Jay (Cutler).

"I refuse to let my guy hit Jay. You have to be able to block. I want to knock him down. If I see that left side or that right side open on him when I go into the flat, I'm going to try to knock him down. I have two knockdowns this year, and I want more."

The Broncos signed Pittman, an unrestricted free agent who had spent the previous six seasons with Tampa Bay, in May, two months into the free-agency season.

Pittman's role consistently fluctuated with the Buccaneers, with whom he had as many as 219 carries in 2004 but only 50 in 2006.

Shanahan, who this week called Pittman "our workhorse," said he was looking for a player who could play running back and fullback in the Broncos offense - which Pittman has - as well as be the short-yardage runner Shanahan believed the team needed.

In 2007, the Broncos struggled to power it in down close. They had more 1-yard scoring passes (three) than they did 1-yard touchdown runs (one) last season and more 2-yard touchdown passes (two) than 2-yard touchdown runs (one).

But with Pittman in his 11th season, Shanahan wanted to make sure the back could be that guy in training camp.

"I knew he could play both the halfback position and the fullback position, and those guys are so hard to find," Shanahan said. "I wanted to bring him in, get a look at him and see where he was. 'Was he too old? Did he still have it?' But he got here and I loved the look in his eye and the way he handled himself."

"Those guys in the NFC South - Julius Peppers and those guys - they all knew I was going to block," Pittman said. "Michael Strahan, the times I played him in New York, he would always be talking before the game, 'You ain't going to get me on a chip block,' but believe me, if I see an opening, I'm trying to take that left or right shoulder off. I do whatever it takes for a guy not to get to the quarterback."

Nomad
09-27-2008, 07:32 AM

You hit the nail on the head. Funny at the end of preseason, lots of folks here wanted Pittman gone!

atwater27
09-27-2008, 09:24 PM
I like what Pittman has done, you can't argue with TD's. But I think Selvin needs more carries. Give the guy that did the dirty work between the 20's a chance to get some paydirt.