PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Fox comfortable with McCoy calling plays for Broncos

TXBRONC
02-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Q&A: Fox comfortable with McCoy calling plays for Broncos
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/09/2011 01:00:00 AM MST

Q: I am concerned about coach John Fox keeping Mike McCoy as the Broncos' offensive coordinator. It's common knowledge that McCoy has only four games of play-calling experience. When he was with the Carolina Panthers, who called the plays? Why is Fox so comfortable with McCoy in this role when he knows it's one of McCoy's weaknesses? Should we expect the offense to struggle in the 2011 season?

A: With the threat of an NFL lockout on the horizon, the Broncos kept their offensive coaching staff largely intact for two reasons.

The first reason: If there is an extended work stoppage and teams can't have minicamps, organized offseason conditioning workouts and even training camp, the Broncos didn't want to open the 2011 season with a new defense — and a new offense. The Broncos were hoping to have some continuity. With all of their problems on defense, that side of the ball will get a bigger makeover.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17332957?_requestid=3393320

Maybe it's just me but I didn't think Legwold actually answered the question.

Juriga72
02-09-2011, 11:14 AM
So Fox wants McCoy to run last years offense JUST in case theres a lockout. IMHO Fox thinks they can tweak it on the fly as opposed to running a brand new system...

either way....... Kinda a puss out for John...

Superchop 7
02-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a common sense approach to me. He pusses out on Orton over Tebow imo.

honz
02-09-2011, 12:31 PM
We were still running McD's offense even under McCoy. We have not seen a McCoy led offense. We simply saw the McD offense with McCoy calling the plays. I'm sure McCoy will keep a lot of things pretty similar, but there will be changes.

TXBRONC
02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
We were still running McD's offense even under McCoy. We have not seen a McCoy led offense. We simply saw the McD offense with McCoy calling the plays. I'm sure McCoy will keep a lot of things pretty similar, but there will be changes.

I think that even if there wasn't a threat of a lockout there probably wouldn't be much change to the offensive scheme.

TXBRONC
02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
So Fox wants McCoy to run last years offense JUST in case theres a lockout. IMHO Fox thinks they can tweak it on the fly as opposed to running a brand new system...

either way....... Kinda a puss out for John...

Sounds like a common sense approach to me. He pusses out on Orton over Tebow imo.

Why is it a pusses way out? The way Legwold described things I agree with him that there will already be crap load of changes on the defense so why make matters worse by changing both schemes with possibility of a lockout luming in the not so distant future?

As far as Orton over Tebow I think John has left himself plenty of wiggle room. I think I understand why John is walking that fine line. If there is prolonged lockout and Tebow doesn't get a full off season and camp to work with McCoy and Gase then it might be better to let Orton be the potential "sacrificial lamb."

rcsodak
02-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Maybe it's just me but I didn't think Legwold actually answered the question.

He did......in the most commons sense way possible, Tx.

Plus, he didn't get on anybody's bad side in the process. ;)

BigSarge87
02-10-2011, 12:01 AM
I like the idea of keeping last years offense in place. The offense looked to be improving quite a bit by the end of the year.

If the defense can get some stops we'll score 30 pts a game. There's really no reason to change the offensive gameplan much, we just need to get healthy and polish a few things up and we'll be solid IMO.

Let McCoy take what he learned from McD, put his own spin on it and see what happens. You never know, maybe he's the next great O-Coordinator. Let's give him a chance.

TXBRONC
02-10-2011, 08:04 AM
I like the idea of keeping last years offense in place. The offense looked to be improving quite a bit by the end of the year.

If the defense can get some stops we'll score 30 pts a game. There's really no reason to change the offensive gameplan much, we just need to get healthy and polish a few things up and we'll be solid IMO.

Let McCoy take what he learned from McD, put his own spin on it and see what happens. You never know, maybe he's the next great O-Coordinator. Let's give him a chance.

I agree the offense improved as the year went on but I'm not sure it's ready to put 30 ppg. Assuming that the defense improves I think we will be do good to get about 24 ppg with either quarterback. Orton's play it safe nature isn't conducive to scoring points and Tebow is still very inexperienced that's not conducive putting up points either.

Bosco
02-11-2011, 06:45 AM
We were still running McD's offense even under McCoy. Not really. I mean, technically yeah it was the same offense, but run much, much differently under McCoy. With McDaniels we were almost exclusively a 3 receiver, 1 back, 1 tight end offense. When McCoy took over, we went to more of a two wide, two tight end, one back offense, and the results weren't all that pretty.

I'm hoping McCoy goes back to the 3 wide base sets with another year under his belt, but I'm not holding my breath.

TXBRONC
02-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Not really. I mean, technically yeah it was the same offense, but run much, much differently under McCoy. With McDaniels we were almost exclusively a 3 receiver, 1 back, 1 tight end offense. When McCoy took over, we went to more of a two wide, two tight end, one back offense, and the results weren't all that pretty.

I'm hoping McCoy goes back to the 3 wide base sets with another year under his belt, but I'm not holding my breath.

I disagree especially given the circumstances.

McDaniels was lauded as offensive genius, but what his offense produced was rather anemic and his play calling bland at best.

Bosco
02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I disagree especially given the circumstances.

McDaniels was lauded as offensive genius, but what his offense produced was rather anemic and his play calling bland at best.

It wasn't the scheme or play calling holding us back, it was a lack of execution and injuries that prevented us from running the offense the way it's meant to be run. Fixing those issues will have this offense humming along.

TXBRONC
02-11-2011, 04:06 PM
It wasn't the scheme or play calling holding us back, it was a lack of execution and injuries that prevented us from running the offense the way it's meant to be run. Fixing those issues will have this offense humming along.

No it was the playing calling as much as anything else.

BigSarge87
02-12-2011, 01:43 AM
I was exaggerating with the 30pts/game thing, I just meant that I don't think the offense will be as run heavy as everyone thinks it will.