PDA

View Full Version : Should Dawkins be replaced?

Bullgator
02-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Pepaw Dawkins is getting long in the tooth, but he is such a team leader and force in the locker room.

I hope he stays with the team but is replaced by say a 2 round draft pick as a starter.

Whatcha think, out with the old and in with the new? and if so who should we draft to replace him?

T.K.O.
02-07-2011, 05:43 PM
i would love to see him on the team and used in the right situations and be able to mentor the younger guys.....wether or not that is fiscally possible is a question for the F.O.
but we could do alot worse if he were to accept that sort of role :salute:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Yes

Bullgator
02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
i would love to see him on the team and used in the right situations and be able to mentor the younger guys.....wether or not that is fiscally possible is a question for the F.O.
but we could do alot worse if he were to accept that sort of role :salute:

agreed... Dawkins won't get much from another team, they can't buy the chemistry he has in Denver, thats unique to only DB. Would take years for him to build that somewhere else. So they would only value him for his on the field ability. Which frankly isn't worth blockbuster money. With 25 mil under the salary cap last year(estimated because there was no cap in 2010 due to lack of cba), the Broncos should be able to pay him easily. So i think he will def stay with the team... after a little posturing.

The question is who do we want to replace him as a starter?

BroncoStud
02-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Yes.

Bullgator
02-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I think Patrick Peterson would make a better safety than CB from watching him play at LSU... I think he could make a smooth transition.

The Glue Factory
02-07-2011, 06:30 PM
agreed... Dawkins won't get much from another team, they can't buy the chemistry he has in Denver, thats unique to only DB. Would take years for him to build that somewhere else. So they would only value him for his on the field ability. Which frankly isn't worth blockbuster money. With 25 mil under the salary cap last year(estimated because there was no cap in 2010 due to lack of cba), the Broncos should be able to pay him easily. So i think he will def stay with the team... after a little posturing.

The question is who do we want to replace him as a starter?

Then again he's only been with the Broncos 2 years. Some people don't need a lot of time to build chemistry with the team they're on. Dawkins is one of those people and there's others around. The thing we need is the smash mouth attitude he brings because the last person we had that gave the D that type of identity was Al Wilson (uttered in hallowed whispers) who took the identity of the D when he left after a pretty serious back injury and our D hasn't been the same since. If Dawkins leaves that makes repairing the D just a little harder.

SpringsBroncoFan
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
If we draft Moore then yes, he's gone...

Broncos might keep him for a year if Champ is resigned at CB this year and then moves to Safety next year... That scenario holds if a 2nd tier CB like AWill or Smith is drafted.

GEM
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I think Patrick Peterson would make a better safety than CB from watching him play at LSU... I think he could make a smooth transition.

If we take Peterson with the #2....smoke will come out my ears and I will pull an exorcist 360 turn of the head.

Bullgator
02-07-2011, 06:44 PM
If we take Peterson with the #2....smoke will come out my ears and I will pull an exorcist 360 turn of the head.

Fairly for my money

GEM
02-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Fairly for my money

Damn skippy! :rockon:

Bullgator
02-07-2011, 07:00 PM
If its a value s you want Ahmad Black is the man... hes not uber fast but hes extremely reliable and a ball hawk... could get him 2nd or even 3rd

JDL
02-07-2011, 07:07 PM

Most of the top DL in the NFL are actually later 1st rd to 3rd rd talents... if you go by sack leaders... none of these guys is Suh and none of these guys is Peppers.... this Super Bowl showed how important CB is and there is much higher success rate for the 1st CB taken versus 1st DL. You shouldn't be upset to take the best defensive player in a draft ever... just because you seem to disagree with the position. Peterson and Fairley are the top 2 prospects and there are major red flags on Fairley that make him a 1b to Peterson's 1a... nonetheless they should go 1/2 in the draft unless AJ Green sneaks in there (unlikely) and with Carolina badly needing a DT, with a new defensive-minded coach... chances are significant, Fairley is gone at our pick... making the debate between him and Peterson moot.

Kerrigan is the best pass rusher in the draft (Von Miller is up there as well)
Clayborn is the best run stuffer (Dareus is very good at DT too, doesn't offer much of a pass rush actually.)

Bowers is up mainly because he has the size to be good at both the run and pass, but he doesn't have the developed skills at either, but you can't teach size (and we see that every year and every year these types of players fail, while the great pass rushers get knocked for their run defense, but show up as huge pass rushers in the NFL and are then considered great.) Jared Allen, Dumervil, Wake, Johnson, Mathis, Umenyiora, Phillips, Clemons, Tuck... are just some of the names racking up huge sack numbers last year that weren't high picks (most of the top 10 right there, the other guys were in that 9-25 range. If you want a pass rusher, #2 is not really the place to select one, if you want a run stuffer, they are available all throughout the draft, if you want someone great at both? well, that is exceptionally rare... Suh, Peppers and Williams all came out with elite grades...we're looking at more like Andre wadsworth, Gaines Adams, Gerald McCoy type DL (and not because those guys failed, but in terms of just how the scouts have graded them out.)

Only saying... keep an open mind.

Dzone
02-07-2011, 07:45 PM
this is a weak year for the draft. Sucks that we missed on Suh by one year. There is nobody that good at #2 this year

hotcarl
02-07-2011, 07:50 PM
this is a weak year for the draft. Sucks that we missed on Suh by one year. There is nobody that good at #2 this year

or is there??? :eek:

ikillz0mbies
02-07-2011, 07:59 PM
I like Dawkins, but he shouldn't be a starter next year. I see the Broncos drafting Rahim Moore in the 2nd round to take over the safety position.

cuzz4169
02-07-2011, 08:44 PM

Hahaha are you crazy? This kid is an elite CB if we lose champ and can't sign a descent CB we will draft peterson at #2 and in my eyes is the best defensive player in the draft.

Bullgator
02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Hahaha are you crazy? This kid is an elite CB if we lose champ and can't sign a descent CB we will draft peterson at #2 and in my eyes is the best defensive player in the draft.

agreed about being a great defensive player but he is not as lockdown as you think. IMO hes better served doing what he wants and ballhawking deeper in the secondary... just my opinion.

PAINTERDAVE
02-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Yeah... we should keep Dawk around for another year...
wether he starts or not will all be about who we get and what happens in camp.

Dawk will be a great mentor and leade for the new defense...
and they will need it if we draft mostly Defense.

SOCALORADO.
02-08-2011, 08:48 AM
agreed about being a great defensive player but he is not as lockdown as you think. IMO hes better served doing what he wants and ballhawking deeper in the secondary... just my opinion.

Dude, your crazy. Peterson is a shut down CB and would immediately be a starter in DEN, even with Champ here. If anything, Champ would move to FS.
Peterson playing FS is a waste of his talents. But yeah, its like having BOTH a FS And! a shut-down Corner out there with Peterson!

Patrick Peterson has a chance to be the highest drafted cornerback since Shawn Springs was drafted third overall by the Seattle Seahawks in 1997. Peterson might be the most physically talented secondary prospect since the late great Sean Taylor was drafted fifth overall by the Washington Redskins in 2004.
To put that in perspective, I believe Taylor was the most physically talented safety to ever play the game of football.
Peterson’s athletic skill set almost seems like it should be an oxymoron. He is gigantic, standing 6’1 and over 215 pounds but runs a sub 4.4 40-yard dash, and has the hips and light feet of a dancer.
It’s like some crazy NFL general manager went to some mad scientist with hair samples from Deion Sanders and Nnamdi Asomugha and told him to create a hybrid being from the two.
Peterson is like the Andre Johnson of cornerbacks. He can out-muscle you, out quick you and out fast you. He can lay a devastating jam at the line of scrimmage against players like Larry Fitzgerald with his Spider-Man long arms and has the speed and hips to handle speedsters like the Carolina Panther’s Steve Smith.
And did I mention that he loves to play the run? Peterson is so good against the run it’s like having a safety lined up over a wide receiver. Offenses quickly learn that running sweeps, tosses or screens to Peterson’s side of the field are not a good idea.
And to top all of this off Peterson is a devastating kick and punt returner. He has Joshua Cribbs potential in this regard, a total game changer.
Any team that drafts Peterson is getting an elite player who can help them control two out of the three phases of the game. That is why Peterson is a blue chip prospect, and that is why he is a lock for the top 10.

GEM
02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
So we should ignore DL and go for another CB.....when we've had the best in the business the last 7 years running and it hasn't done diddly squat for us?

I understand he's uber talented and if we had DL I'd be all for taking him.....but even lower half tier D Linemen are higher than what we have on the roster right now. So, make me a believer. What do we do to shore up the Dline in order for Peterson to be a success here.

Juriga72
02-08-2011, 11:19 AM
So we should ignore DL and go for another CB.....when we've had the best in the business the last 7 years running and it hasn't done diddly squat for us?

I understand he's uber talented and if we had DL I'd be all for taking him.....but even lower half tier D Linemen are higher than what we have on the roster right now. So, make me a believer. What do we do to shore up the Dline in order for Peterson to be a success here.

Look at the JETS to see "How a great shut down corner can control games"

THE best set of corners and they go 11-5. New England puts 45 on them when their pass rush dosent get there. Even Cutler throws three td's in one quarter when they dont get there............

WITH a pass rush.. YES those corners make it....with out one. NOT so much

broncofaninfla
02-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Love dawkins but he is a liability in the passing game anymore. Time to go another direction.

SOCALORADO.
02-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Love dawkins but he is a liability in the passing game anymore. Time to go another direction.

Heres the direction....FA.
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/82946060.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548AEB4EDB22F4FC301 A600AD4D0265CE3ADD865F92C483634CE30A760B0D811297

vandammage13
02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
If its a value s you want Ahmad Black is the man... hes not uber fast but hes extremely reliable and a ball hawk... could get him 2nd or even 3rd

Ahmad Black would be a great pickup...he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time and getting INTs, and he's also great in run support. (I believe he led UF in INTs and Tackles last season). I believe he had 13 total INTs as a 3 year starter. The one I remember the most was in the NCG against Oklahoma when he made that amazing pick on Sam Bradford, and then Bradford had that deer in the headlights look like "how the heck did he do that?"

All that being said, I think he's going to fall to the 3rd or possibly 4th round because he doesn't have ideal size. But he's going to be a steal if we get him. Dude's a gamer, and would be an ideal replacement for BDawk. Reminds me a lot of Bob Sanders the way he plays (minus the injuries).

hotcarl
02-08-2011, 11:56 AM
uh how about no

Bullgator
02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Dude, your crazy. Peterson is a shut down CB and would immediately be a starter in DEN, even with Champ here. If anything, Champ would move to FS.
Peterson playing FS is a waste of his talents. But yeah, its like having BOTH a FS And! a shut-down Corner out there with Peterson!

Patrick Peterson has a chance to be the highest drafted cornerback since Shawn Springs was drafted third overall by the Seattle Seahawks in 1997. Peterson might be the most physically talented secondary prospect since the late great Sean Taylor was drafted fifth overall by the Washington Redskins in 2004.
To put that in perspective, I believe Taylor was the most physically talented safety to ever play the game of football.
Peterson’s athletic skill set almost seems like it should be an oxymoron. He is gigantic, standing 6’1 and over 215 pounds but runs a sub 4.4 40-yard dash, and has the hips and light feet of a dancer.
It’s like some crazy NFL general manager went to some mad scientist with hair samples from Deion Sanders and Nnamdi Asomugha and told him to create a hybrid being from the two.
Peterson is like the Andre Johnson of cornerbacks. He can out-muscle you, out quick you and out fast you. He can lay a devastating jam at the line of scrimmage against players like Larry Fitzgerald with his Spider-Man long arms and has the speed and hips to handle speedsters like the Carolina Panther’s Steve Smith.
And did I mention that he loves to play the run? Peterson is so good against the run it’s like having a safety lined up over a wide receiver. Offenses quickly learn that running sweeps, tosses or screens to Peterson’s side of the field are not a good idea.
And to top all of this off Peterson is a devastating kick and punt returner. He has Joshua Cribbs potential in this regard, a total game changer.
Any team that drafts Peterson is getting an elite player who can help them control two out of the three phases of the game. That is why Peterson is a blue chip prospect, and that is why he is a lock for the top 10.
--------------------

Actually PP really isn't as lockdown as you think.. against top competition(which he will face in the NFL) he was owned:

Julio Jones-had great success-10 catches for 89 yards with 8.9 avg and 1TD

J.Boyd from North Carolina had a gawdy 221 yards with a 97 yard TD

C. Hamilton from Arkansas was only able to get 3 catches but they went for 164 yards and 2 TD

P.P. has a flaw and thats the hitch and go... he jumps the rout because hes in love with the pick 6 but be can get burned deep because of it... he likes picks? fine let him concentrate on that from the FS pos..

again just my opinion