PDA

View Full Version : Wrecks Grossman

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 11:35 AM
And Donovan (McNabb) thinks he, or black Quarterbacks, have it hard.

Compared to what Rex Grossman is going through in Chicago, Donovan McNabb is being treated nicely. (Of course the 4 TD’s last Sunday helped McNabb)

The criticism Grossman is receiving is mostly his own fault. If only he could be “Good Rex” more than he is “Bad Rex”

At some point in Rex Grossman’s career he is going to have to make some big plays. It is inevitable, all Quarterbacks eventually have to win football games and Rex Grossman has proved he can’t do that. He proved it most of last season, he proved it even more in the Super Bowl and he is proving it more than ever at the beginning of this season. Rex Grossman can’t make big plays; he only helps the other defense make big plays.

So what can be done? Well Brian Griese is the best alternative option, the former Pro Bowler had his best years in Denver but his play has declined significantly after the 2000 season. Griese is the safest and most experienced option though. He has put up good numbers in the past and while he doesn’t have the ability to do so anymore, he currently looks more likely to make big plays than the other two Bears Quarterbacks.

Of course there is Kyle Orton who is in his third year; he took over the starting job in 2005 when Rex Grossman was injured. Kyle Orton hasn’t exactly done enough to prove he is worthy of the starting role, his 15 performances in the 2005 season weren't very convincing, of course that was his rookie year but even by rookie standards it still wasn’t good. Kyle Orton hasn’t played a game since the 2005 season.

So Grossman has proved he is no good, Griese is an aging Quarterback who has had nagging injuries and whose play is declining every day, Orton deserves another chance but he doesn’t look the answer either. So that brings me to this conclusion:

The Chicago Bears 2007 season is lost, Bears fans and the Bears themselves will have to accept that or LEARN it the hard way. Even Trent Difler had to make plays for the Ravens when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. Every Quarterback needs to make plays and while Brian Griese looks like the most competent Quarterback, he still falls short of being a good enough Quarterback.

There have been many opportunities to discuss transactions the Bears could make at Quarterback in this article, but it would be irrelevant because Lovie Smith and the Chicago Bears organization seem to have confidence in Rex.

“He is our Quarterback” Lovie Smith said after the Dallas game.

In fact the Bears organization told Rex Grossman that they want him to take it to the next level, the exact same thing they told Lovie Smith the off-season before last.

Why Lovie Smith shows such confidence in Rex Grossman is unexplainable. Lovie Smith has always been a high believer in always supporting your Quarterback and keeping your Quarterbacks confidence high but hasn’t Lovie had enough?

Hasn't Lovie had enough of Rex having perfect pass protection but still rushing the throw? Hasn't Lovie had enough of completely inaccurate throws at times when Rex still has perfect pass protection? Isn't Lovie fed up of never being able to trust his Quarterback in a key situation?

As long as the Bears stick with Rex, the Bears will NOT win the Super Bowl. They will always be a “contender”, but never a “champion”. They can thank Rex Grossman and Lovie Smith for that.

An even bigger problem is the Bears now have no future at the Quarterback position. That doesn’t just hurt this season; it hurts the future of the Chicago Bears Football team.

Rex Grossman’s contract finishes at the end of the season and it looks like unless Rex Grossman doesn’t want to play in Chicago, the Bears fans will have to endure a lot more suffering.

Not everything can be blamed on Rex, but he makes things a lot worse.

At least Grossman doesn’t throw a sissy fit saying that all Quarterbacks with brown hair get criticised more than Quarterbacks with Black, Blonde or Ginger hair.

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 11:37 AM
The Lovie Smith quote was taken from the Chicago Tribune.

topscribe
09-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Good post, Wookie. Congratulations. :beer:

I don't understand why Griese is not playing right now. He is one of the most
accurate passers in the league, and he couldn't blow it any worse than
Grossman has. I really don't understand it. Is Grossman married to Lovie's
daughter, or what? :confused:

-----

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Good post, Wookie. Congratulations. :beer:

I don't understand why Griese is not playing right now. He is one of the most
accurate passers in the league, and he couldn't blow it any worse than
Grossman has. I really don't understand it. Is Grossman married to Lovie's
daughter, or what? :confused:

-----

Thanks very much Top. :beer:

As I said in the article, I don't think Griese is going to lead the Bears to the Super Bowl or anything but I think he would be an upgrade over Grossman.

Of course Griese's problem is his age, his 2000 season compared with his play recently is completely different, I mean that in a bad way.

Lovie just loves Grossman, I don't understand it.

Either way the future of the Bears in terms of the Quarterback position doesn't look good, so why not just play the best guy ?

OB
09-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Me - Im tired of fickle fans - I mean this booing of your own team - thats gotta stop - yes, you can criticize, yes, you can want another QB - but dont boo your own players - damn thats just wrong

I felt bad for Rex last night - last i checked he wasnt covering TO and he wasnt letting the Cowboys march down the field on every play in the second half nor was he on ST's letting kicks be returned for TD's - although he does suck he doesnt deserve to be booed AT HOME - not RIGHT :tsk: :tsk:

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Me - Im tired of fickle fans - I mean this booing of your own team - thats gotta stop - yes, you can criticize, yes, you can want another QB - but dont boo your own players - damn thats just wrong

I felt bad for Rex last night - last i checked he wasnt covering TO and he wasnt letting the Cowboys march down the field on every play in the second half nor was he on ST's letting kicks be returned for TD's - although he does suck he doesnt deserve to be booed AT HOME - not RIGHT :tsk: :tsk:

I think it's just something that comes with the job, Quarterbacks just have to accept that. Sometimes Rex REALLY really doesn't help himself though.

As I said in the article not everything can be blamed on Rex but he does make things alot worse. Some of his play is ridiculous.

For the most part the Bears Defense and Special Teams does it's job to a high standard and Rex usually is the weakness but in the Cowboys game everything failed. I still understand the fans fustration in that game, specifically at Rex. He has no excuses for some of the passes he attempted.

It's been like that all his career, apart from a few "Good Rex" games, Rex Grossman's play is inexcusable.

Medford Bronco
09-24-2007, 03:47 PM
I should wrote this lol

worst QB in the NFL that has more than 3 years experience

He sucks bad

Broncos Mtnman
09-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Good read.

I have to disagree with your assessment of Griese however.

BG has proven to have the ability to win when given a chance. He did an awesome job in TB before his injury. I bet the Gruden would love to have him back.

Let's put it this way, how much worse could he do?

If I were a fan of "Da Bears," I would have been right there chanting "Griese - Griese" along with everyone else. Sorry, but I think everyone (including the fans) has given Grossman plenty of chances to do his job.

Lovie isn't doing the team or the fans any favors with his constant support of this guy.

SmithOverTO
09-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Good read.

BG has proven to have the ability to win when given a chance. He did an awesome job in TB before his injury. I bet the Gruden would love to have him back.

If I were a fan of "Da Bears," I would have been right there chanting "Griese - Griese" along with everyone else. Sorry, but I think everyone (including the fans) has given Grossman plenty of chances to do his job.

Lovie isn't doing the team or the fans any favors with his constant support of this guy.

Sounds terribly familiar doesnt it? :laugh:

Griese had a fantastic season with Denver...was it 1999 or 2000? 11-5, 19 TD's, 4 pics, led the team to a Wild Card berth where we were promptly murdered by the Ravens so I think if given the weapons Griese can do his job. And well.

Rick
09-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Griese is a smart, accurate passer. His only real downfall is lack of arm strength and lack of mobility but he certainly is a good QB.

Just seems everywhere he goes he goes out and plays well but is never thought of as long term.

His biggest fallout in Denver I think was more attitude than anything else as well as Shanny wanting to go a little more mobile.

Good read :)

Slick
09-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Good read.

I completely agree. :salute:

Nice article Wookie.

sneakers
09-25-2007, 12:54 AM

I live with a Bears fan, and a lot of my friends are Bears fans. Bears fans I have noticed get real defensive when you suggest they put in Greise. Like Rex Grossman is their god or something. It's really weird.

Retired_Member_001
09-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Good read.

Good points Mtnman.

Griese would do better than Grossman, there's no doubt about that. If I was a Bears fans I would be chanting "Griese" aswell as you and nearly every Bears fan.

I just don't think, in key situations in say the playoffs, Griese will step up. I just don't think he has the talent anymore. That's just my opinion though.

BigBroncLove
09-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Good points Mtnman.

Griese would do better than Grossman, there's no doubt about that. If I was a Bears fans I would be chanting "Griese" aswell as you and nearly every Bears fan.

I just don't think, in key situations in say the playoffs, Griese will step up. I just don't think he has the talent anymore. That's just my opinion though.

I agree in your assesment of Griese. I remember well his four year stint in Denver. His first season was a stutter start. He did a porr job of spreading th ball around specifically, despite having all the weapons anyone would require (Rod, Eddie Mac, Sharpe). HE matched interceptions for TD's. His second eyar, in 2000 he actaully looked much improved, but when the game was on the line, he crumbled. I never thought he had the consistency. 01 and 02 were just terrible IMO. He coughed up the ball every time we didn't want him to (01 he had 23 interceptions, 02 he had 15 int to go with only 15 TD's). He threw way to many interceptions, and while showign some plays of brilliance, he would always take one step forward and two steps back.

His play in Miami was also piss poor and was a shinning example of his play in Denver. Extremely inconsistent, and when pressure came, the man panics. Maybe as a veteran he has shed some of those problems, but if he plays anything like he did in Denver, Miami, and to an extent TB, then the Bears will not be going to the playoffs on the shoulders of Griese. When have they gone to the playoffs with a good QB at the helm recently though? At the end of the day, he would be a vast improvement over Grossman, and they should go with him IMO..... I jsut wouldn;t expect him to become a rela answer for the Bears organization down the line. He might be a good fit for the present, but as far as the future goes, the Bears need a real QB in their ranks.

Great article Wookie. After watching Grossman throw the game away again, and the type of coverage he was trying to fit the ball into, I don't know how Lovie Smith can continue to back him.

Watchthemiddle
09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802abff2&template=with-video&confirm=true...

Griese to replace Grossman at QB for Bears
NFL.com Wire Reports

The NFL Network's Adam Schefter has confirmed that Brian Griese will start at quarterback Sunday for the Chicago Bears.

Griese will replace Rex Grossman, who threw three interceptions as the Chicago Bears fell to the Dallas Cowboys 34-10 on Sunday night and did not get a vote of confidence from his coach a day later.

"Will Rex Grossman start Sunday?" coach Lovie Smith asked on Monday, repeating the question. "Well, our evaluation process is going on right now, and if you come out to practice Wednesday, you'll have a better idea of who will be starting at all positions."

Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images
Rex Grossman's struggles have lead the Bears to turn to Brian Griese.

Smith gave his usual answer when asked Sunday night about Grossman -- "Rex Grossman is our quarterback" -- but his tone was different on Monday, fueling speculation Brian Griese might start Sunday against Detroit.

Grossman's supporters would have a hard time arguing against the move, considering he ranks 23rd in the league with 500 yards, has a 45.2 passer rating and is 47-of-89 (52.8 percent) with a league-leading six interceptions and just one touchdown.

But is Griese the answer?

A Pro Bowl pick with Denver in 2000, he has passed for 16,564 yards, but has also been released three times -- by the Broncos, Miami and Tampa Bay.

"I have confidence in our entire football team," Smith said. "Brian is a part of that. After you have a loss like that, we all feel bad. We should."

And Smith realizes something needs to change -- quickly.

At 1-2, the Bears are certainly not living up to those soaring expectations after last season's Super Bowl appearance. Besides Grossman's struggles, injuries are mounting.

They lost former Pro Bowl safety Mike Brown and starting nose tackle Dusty Dvoracek to season-ending knee injuries in the opener at San Diego. And on Sunday, Bears were falling like dominoes.

Linebacker Lance Briggs (groin), cornerback Nathan Vasher (groin) and defensive tackle Tommie Harris (knee) all left the game with injuries. Offensive lineman Ruben Brown suffered what was announced as a game-ending ankle injury, although he returned near the end.

"All of these injuries we're evaluating right now," Smith said. "I can't give you anything else."

As for the evaluation at quarterback, Grossman's troubles are well-documented and they explain why the Bears let him enter this season with an expiring contract rather than an extension.

He was the NFC Offensive Player of the Month last September. Now, he may not be the starting quarterback when September ends.

There certainly is blame to pass around, but the focus is on the quarterback.

The Bears were hoping Grossman would play the way he did the first five weeks last season and ditch the inconsistency he showed the rest of the way.

Well, he is more consistent.

The problem is "Bad Rex" keeps lining up behind center, and that's bad news for the Bears.

Smith stuck with Grossman last season, but that leash appears to be growing shorter with each pass into double or triple coverage; there were a few of those on Sunday night.

Like the one that Anthony Henry picked off early in the fourth quarter.

Dallas' Nick Folk had just kicked a 44-yard field goal when Grossman tried to hit Muhsin Muhammad in triple coverage. Henry intercepted and ran it back 28 yards for a touchdown that made it 27-10 and put away the Bears.

Grossman didn't get much help.

"All the way around the whole offense, it was one of those days where it seemed like we'd get something going and it'd fall back, and we just couldn't get anything going," wide receiver Bernard Berrian said.

Cedric Benson managed 46 yards after running for 101 the previous week in a 20-10 victory over Kansas City.

A wide-open Berrian dropped what might have been a 35-yard touchdown pass. And Muhammad seemed to stop on a deep route over the middle on the first play of the second quarter, resulting in an interception for Henry.

Smith called it "bad timing between the quarterback and receiver."

Although fans booed and chanted for Griese, teammates continued to support Grossman.

"Rex is my guy. Rex is my guy until the end," tight end Desmond Clark said. "He didn't have his greatest game (Sunday), but if you ask me Rex is my guy."

But for how much longer?

"We're talking a lot about Rex, and I guess we should," Smith said. "I would talk about our football team. I made a lot of mistakes yesterday. We all did. That was a team loss. ... You can't give a quarterback all the blame."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Broncos Mtnman
09-25-2007, 07:47 PM
OOPS....

Sorry WTM. I didn't see you had this posted. I started a new post on the subject under Other NFL.

:rolleyes:

OB
09-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Greise sure is playing great :rolleyes:

Retired_Member_001
10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Greise sure is playing great :rolleyes:

Come on orangenblue, that's not a fair comment.

The poor man had to throw the ball 52 times, he still completed 65.4% of his passes.

OB
10-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Come on orangenblue, that's not a fair comment.

The poor man had to throw the ball 52 times, he still completed 65.4% of his passes.

Griese sucks and my opinion will never change - EVER - even if he made it to the hall of fame - i was at the game were he led Eddie out to be demolished by the Giant player who broke his leg - I hate Griese

But if both QB's are sucking arse and having to scramble and throw all the time - maybe its not just the QB who is sucking things up up in Chi town

Medford Bronco
10-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I still think Griese is better then Rex GROSSman. IMO

OB I understand where you are coming from but Griese was not a leader here
and I am sure he is not in Chicago either. If he struggles more I would go with the
Kid Kyle Orton to see if the Bears need to draft a QB next year. Just my take

Retired_Member_001
10-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Griese sucks and my opinion will never change - EVER - even if he made it to the hall of fame - i was at the game were he led Eddie out to be demolished by the Giant player who broke his leg - I hate Griese

But if both QB's are sucking arse and having to scramble and throw all the time - maybe its not just the QB who is sucking things up up in Chi town

I don't think Griese is a good Quarterback aswell, I think he's a good backup.

It's just, if Grossman had to throw 52 passes in a game, he would have thrown twice the ammount of picks.

Retired_Member_001
10-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I just want to apologize for not having an article out in the last 7 days. I haven't had enough time.

Look for a new article in the next few days.

Medford Bronco
10-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I just want to apologize for not having an article out in the last 7 days. I haven't had enough time.

Look for a new article in the next few days.

cant it be on Kyle Orton;)

Retired_Member_001
10-02-2007, 01:24 PM
cant it be on Kyle Orton;)

:laugh:

Actually I was planning on writing an article on the Chargers playoff success. I just can't think of any ideas though. ;)

I know what I want to write about, I just haven't had the time.

Medford Bronco
10-02-2007, 01:46 PM
:laugh:

Actually I was planning on writing an article on the Chargers playoff success. I just can't think of any ideas though. ;)

I know what I want to write about, I just haven't had the time.

you mean you are going to write about Stan Humphries and Natrone Means from a million moons ago. :D

Retired_Member_001
10-04-2007, 03:34 PM
I haven't had time to write an article this week, I could probably have one up tommorow but what's the point?

I'll wait untill after Sunday.

I just wanted to apologize.

omac
10-23-2007, 01:48 AM
Well, I guess it's official ... Griese is better than Grossman, at least with the decision making. He's consistently thrown more TDs and yardage per game than Grossman, and that last drive to win, he had to improvise a lot of it, with his helmet receiver malfunctioning. There was even speculation that his playcalling was more effective than the ones from the offensive coordinator.

Retired_Member_001
10-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Look for an article from me tommorow. :D

Retired_Member_001
10-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Sorry, I haven't had enough time to write an article this week.

omac
11-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Yes, Grossman is back! Hopefully for Denver, bad Rex shows up. :cheers:

Medford Bronco
11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Yes, Grossman is back! Hopefully for Denver, bad Rex shows up. :cheers:

isnt Rex always Bad for the most part :laugh:

Poet
11-15-2007, 10:39 AM
isnt Rex always Bad for the most part :laugh:

For the record I have an extreme dislike for Grossman because while he was on his hot streak last year Bears fans where telling me they had themselves the next great QB. Five games later and several abysmally low QB ratings the love for him was gone.:laugh::laugh:

I will say that all it takes for Grossman to do well is have a strong first few series. If by some miracle of god he does have a good few series the Broncos are in for some sad times.