PDA

View Full Version : NFL - en Espanol - No need to hit your SAP button

OB
09-24-2007, 11:19 AM
OK - not trying to start anything huge - just my :2cents:

But what was up with NBC and the City of Chicago with the whole Mexican flava flav going on last night on Sunday night football :confused:

Im having to listen to commercials in Spanish - if I wanted telemundo I would put it on - please NBC - do not force it on me the way you did last night

Im seeing more n more of this and it does bother me - but I spent the last 35 years under the assumption i was in AMERICA and we spoke ENGLISH - now i cant turn on the TV or buy a box of crackers with out half of it being en espanol

If all of this catering to the mexican population doesnt encourage illegal immigration from mexico - i dont know what does -

Well maybe we can put a big :welcome: sign on our borders - oh wait change that to "acepto"

I know im gonna get plastered by some of you for this but its what was "on my mind" when i was watching football last night :ahhhhh:

And i must state again

1. I have no problem with LEGAL immigration

2. I think anyone who comes to this country should learn ENGLISH - everybody wants to use the whole "this country was founded on immigrants" deal when we talk about immigration - well guess what those same immigrants came here not knowing english and had to and DID learn it

3. Some of my best friends are mexican - OK thats a lie but thats cause I really dont have any best friends

Devilspawn
09-24-2007, 12:51 PM
OK - not trying to start anything huge - just my :2cents:

But what was up with NBC and the City of Chicago with the whole Mexican flava flav going on last night on Sunday night football :confused:

Im having to listen to commercials in Spanish - if I wanted telemundo I would put it on - please NBC - do not force it on me the way you did last night

Im seeing more n more of this and it does bother me - but I spent the last 35 years under the assumption i was in AMERICA and we spoke ENGLISH - now i cant turn on the TV or buy a box of crackers with out half of it being en espanol

If all of this catering to the mexican population doesnt encourage illegal immigration from mexico - i dont know what does -

Well maybe we can put a big :welcome: sign on our borders - oh wait change that to "acepto"

I know im gonna get plastered by some of you for this but its what was "on my mind" when i was watching football last night :ahhhhh:

And i must state again

1. I have no problem with LEGAL immigration

2. I think anyone who comes to this country should learn ENGLISH - everybody wants to use the whole "this country was founded on immigrants" deal when we talk about immigration - well guess what those same immigrants came here not knowing english and had to and DID learn it

3. Some of my best friends are mexican - OK thats a lie but thats cause I really dont have any best friends

......Que?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I also do not want to start anything here - so I will just say that I am in agreement with your points OB, and feel they are valid.

OB
09-24-2007, 01:16 PM
......Que?

How do you say BITE ME in spanish DevilSperm :laugh:

Kapaibro
09-24-2007, 01:27 PM
I had to watch the whole game in spanish, with really boring spanish announcers.

This what I get for living in Spain.

OB
09-24-2007, 01:36 PM
I had to watch the whole game in spanish, with really boring spanish announcers.

This what I get for living in Spain.

Kappy - Lives in Spain - has to watch American football in Spanish- ok - I understand that

OB (yes Im TO/anton now and will continue to refer to myself in the third person ;) ) - lives in America - has to watch American football in Spanish - :confused: dont understand that

BigBroncLove
09-24-2007, 01:36 PM
The reason the NFL was doing that last night was because it's Hispanic Heritage Month (it begins on September 15th). I personally think it's completely fine for the NFL to use one game (Sunday Night Football) or even one week of games to help celebrate a prominant cultural event in the U.S.

I can't speak a lick of Spanish, but I'm sure they would do the same for another cultural event if the regular season was in February (Black History Month). I personally didn't mind it. It's not as if Al and John were announcing in spanish...

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Kappy - Lives in Spain - has to watch American football in Spanish- ok - I understand that

OB (yes Im TO/anton now and will continue to refer to myself in the third person ;) ) - lives in America - has to watch American football in Spanish - :confused: dont understand that

So, what you are saying is "No Comprende:questionmark:

OB
09-24-2007, 01:48 PM
The reason the NFL was doing that last night was because it's Hispanic Heritage Month (it begins on September 15th). I personally think it's completely fine for the NFL to use one game (Sunday Night Football) or even one week of games to help celebrate a prominant cultural event in the U.S.

I can't speak a lick of Spanish, but I'm sure they would do the same for another cultural event if the regular season was in February (Black History Month). I personally didn't mind it....

I get what your saying but there is no comparison - i could see if there were more mexicans that played (or hell, even watched the damn sport) but even if - they wouldnt have to change anything to celebrate black history month, for one, and secondly - why do they feel the need to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month or any other cultural month in the nfl - I dont watch football to catch up on my cultural history and if I wanted to see cheesy commercials in a language i didnt understand I would watch foreign TV - I dont think NBC should make that decision for me

OB
09-24-2007, 01:51 PM
So, what you are saying is "No Comprende:questionmark:

exactamundo - is that a word :laugh: I guess I should have been paying more attention during the game last night - i could have caught up on my spanish 101 (which by the way I failed - hehehe)

BigBroncLove
09-24-2007, 02:07 PM
I get what your saying but there is no comparison - i could see if there were more mexicans that played (or hell, even watched the damn sport) but even if - they wouldnt have to change anything to celebrate black history month, for one, and secondly - why do they feel the need to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month or any other cultural month in the nfl - I dont watch football to catch up on my cultural history and if I wanted to see cheesy commercials in a language i didnt understand I would watch foreign TV - I dont think NBC should make that decision for me

We will have to agree to disgaree, I think the comparisons are good parallels, and there are plenty of spanish speaking hispanic fans in the U.S. It was only one game, it's not as if eery game will be like that, and why should they cater only to your cultural heritage?

Is it the language that makes you angry? If so, there were only a very few things that were in Spanish (when they came back from halftime, they showed the team names in Spanish, the NFLatino commercials, which I have seen played on NFLN, and the music during halftime. That's it). I personally don't think it's that big of a deal....

OB
09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
We will have to agree to disgaree, I think the comparisons are good parallels, and there are plenty of spanish speaking hispanic fans in the U.S. It was only one game, it's not as if eery game will be like that, and why should they cater only to your cultural heritage?

Is it the language that makes you angry? If so, there were only a very few things that were in Spanish (when they came back from halftime, they showed the team names in Spanish, the NFLatino commercials, which I have seen played on NFLN, and the music during halftime. That's it). I personally don't think it's that big of a deal....

Well I will agree to disagree - I dont have a problem with the hispanic culture - I have a problem when any one culture is promoted to me in that way - if they had done it in Chinese, Japanese or French, or German or Italian - I would still be questioning - WHY?

my problem with it is it was for pure marketing purposes ONLY - NBC and the NFL dont care about your heritage or my heritage or TO's heritage- they care about the $$$$$$$$$$$$

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Well I will agree to disagree - I dont have a problem with the hispanic culture - I have a problem when any one culture is promoted to me in that way - if they had done it in Chinese, Japanese or French, or German or Italian - I would still be questioning - WHY?

my problem with it is it was for pure marketing purposes ONLY - NBC and the NFL dont care about your heritage or my heritage or TO's heritage- they care about the $$$$$$$$$$$$

Good point - and I agree they were doing it only for the $$$$$$$$$. Look at the Broncos' homepage, down the left column, you can click on "En Espanol", and when you move your mouse over that, it says - "For our Spanish Speaking Fans", and when you click on it, it appears everything on the Broncos Board is repeated in Spanish. But, I don't see where it says - For our German Speaking Fans, For our French Speaking Fans, etc. The same reason when I go into my local WalMart, on each aisle, it says in English what is on the aisle, and it says in Spanish what is on the aisle - AND IT IS FOR THE $$$$$$$$$$$$.

OB
09-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Good point - and I agree they were doing it only for the $$$$$$$$$. Look at the Broncos' homepage, down the left column, you can click on "En Espanol", and when you move your mouse over that, it says - "For our Spanish Speaking Fans", and when you click on it, it appears everything on the Broncos Board is repeated in Spanish. But, I don't see where it says - For our German Speaking Fans, For our French Speaking Fans, etc. The same reason when I go into my local WalMart, on each aisle, it says in English what is on the aisle, and it says in Spanish what is on the aisle - AND IT IS FOR THE $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Denver, like tulsa, has a high number of illegal mexicans - why is that? I understand tulsa being a days drive or so from the border - but Denver, I wonder if its because our cities cater to their needs by putting everything in Spanish for them - Tulsa even changed all their signs downtown so they would be bi-lingual - i guess if I snuck into another country illegally I would choose the city that had the most americans and english i could find