PDA

View Full Version : Per Xanders- Broncos Going to a 4-3

Ziggy
02-05-2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.1043thefan.com/Channels/thedrive/Story.aspx?ID=1358113

With 7:36 left to go in this interview, Xanders states that the Broncos scouting system for the draft is going to be tailored to the John Fox 4-3. I don't know if this has been posted in another thread or not, but this is the first confirmation I've seen from the front office. It may have been a slip of the tongue, but it seems that we're going to a 4-3 D.

Rusty Shackleford
02-05-2011, 04:38 PM
I believe Knowshon also let this slip in an interview Carol posted.

Northman
02-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Hello Mr. Fairley.

shank
02-05-2011, 04:40 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~debale/sadf/smokescreen.jpg

PAINTERDAVE
02-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Hello Mr. Fairley.

I expect Carolina to take Fairley.

Northman
02-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I expect Carolina to take Fairley.

I dont.

dogfish
02-05-2011, 04:50 PM
****ing hell!

:tsk:

arapaho2
02-05-2011, 04:51 PM
If its a 4-3 then welcome to Denver Mr Bowers....if fairely is gone

cuzz4169
02-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Love this...most of you guys are so caught up in the 3-4...it doesn't matter really what defense if you have right personnel...which I think our defense has better 4-3 personnel than 3-4.

gobroncsnv
02-05-2011, 05:35 PM
well, right now, we're not suited much for ANY kind of defense... been quite a while.

DenBronx
02-05-2011, 05:43 PM
*kicks the cat accross the room*

Ziggy
02-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I believe Knowshon also let this slip in an interview Carol posted.

Yeah, but hearing it from an offensive player really carries no weight compared to hearing it from the GM. Not a knock against Knowshon, but players sometimes make assumptions, like us fans do. Xanders is one of the folks that have actually been sitting down evaluating players to fit into the system that we're planning for.

Ziggy
02-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Love this...most of you guys are so caught up in the 3-4...it doesn't matter really what defense if you have right personnel...which I think our defense has better 4-3 personnel than 3-4.

I prefer a 3-4 cuzz, but I agree that we're better suited for a 4-3. With Ayers and Dumervil, we have 2 solid peices of the D-line in place. Ayers might actually flourish in the role of a 4-3 end. It's where he should be playing.

It also brings into play the possibility of drafting Marcell Dareus with the 2nd pick. If Fairley goes 1st, Darius is the next best player at our #1 position of need on the team, and he's a stud tackle.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Alfred and Stink have been saying all along that the Broncos do not have the players for the 3-4, but do for the 4-3.

Ziggy
02-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Alfred and Stink have been saying all along that the Broncos do not have the players for the 3-4, but do for the 4-3.

We truly don't have the talent right now to field a good defense in any scheme, but moving to a 4-3 gives us the best chance to improve quickly. With a great draft pick, and 2-3 free agents that can contribute right away, this D can be competitive next year.

Medford Bronco
02-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Our D sucked as a 3-4. You need talent for either one.

nevcraw
02-05-2011, 06:40 PM
None of this matters until Kyle and Tim make nice..

SmilinAssasSin27
02-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Hello Mr. Fairley.

Meet Mr. Dareus.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-05-2011, 07:29 PM
I agree that the 34 is most confusing.effective if you 1) have the personnel and 2) know how to run it. As of now, we have neither the players or a coach w/ ANY experience running it. It makes no sense to me to want our coaches to run a 34, when they have 43 expereince only.

I personally believe our front 7 is built more for a 43. Wooday and DJ on the outside for now and find the best fit in the middle or draft Martez in round 2. And I like how Doom and Ayers would compliment eachother at DE. I don't like how Indy's 2 small DEs make their run D terrible. W/ Doom rushing and Ayers playing solid run D, I think we can grab a DT in round 1 and DE depth in round 2. I'm partial to Dareus.

dogfish
02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
marcell dareus, corey leguit and greg jones. . . have to have some real DTs and a real MIKE. . .

Ziggy
02-05-2011, 07:55 PM
marcell dareus, corey leguit and greg jones. . . have to have some real DTs and a real MIKE. . .

http://www.titansgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/stephen-tulloch.jpg

Montana Battlin Bear
02-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I posted about this on the mane yesterday, I am relieved to hear this We are much closer to a 4-3 than a 3-4. Bowers, Peterson or Dareus!!!

SmilinAssasSin27
02-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Martez Wilson will be the best MLB in this draft.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/mw.jpg

cuzz4169
02-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Two guys on the roster who could benefit from the move to 4-3 are marcus thomas and robert Ayers. Thomas can be the penetrating DT he was in college. Ayers is a DE in the 4-3 huge mistake trying to convert him to an olb.

DenBronx
02-05-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't like going back to the 4-3 at all. But since it's a high possibility then maybe we should give Mathias Kiwanuka a look since he is a UFA.

Lonestar
02-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Note the super bowl teams are both 3-4.

One has been playing it since hell froze over and the other started it 2 maybe 3 years ago.

yea you have to players for it and that may take some time but we need DL one way or the other.

NT or Dt or de. All are available in the draft and frankly have 3 choice in the top 50 now is the time to get them. one way or the other.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

SmilinAssasSin27
02-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Note the super bowl teams are both 3-4.

One has been playing it since hell froze over and the other started it 2 maybe 3 years ago.

yea you have to players for it and that may take some time but we need DL one way or the other.

NT or Dt or de. All are available in the draft and frankly have 3 choice in the top 50 now is the time to get them. one way or the other.

Last year's SB teams, Indy and New Orleans, both play 4-3. There is an argument for both sides. I just think if our coaches haven't ever coached it, it'd be even more of an uphill battle. The D may be new to NYJ, but their coach had been doing it for a while.

Lonestar
02-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Last year's SB teams, Indy and New Orleans, both play 4-3. There is an argument for both sides. I just think if our coaches haven't ever coached it, it'd be even more of an uphill battle. The D may be new to NYJ, but their coach had been doing it for a while.

I understand but then bal, NE and pit have been in the hunt for the past 10 or 11 years.

Guess that is why I like it. With the winner using it more often than not.

honz
02-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Yeah, but hearing it from an offensive player really carries no weight compared to hearing it from the GM. Not a knock against Knowshon, but players sometimes make assumptions, like us fans do. Xanders is one of the folks that have actually been sitting down evaluating players to fit into the system that we're planning for.
What do you have against Knowshon?

Nomad
02-06-2011, 08:12 AM
I agree that the 34 is most confusing.effective if you 1) have the personnel and 2) know how to run it. As of now, we have neither the players or a coach w/ ANY experience running it. It makes no sense to me to want our coaches to run a 34, when they have 43 expereince only.
I personally believe our front 7 is built more for a 43. Wooday and DJ on the outside for now and find the best fit in the middle or draft Martez in round 2. And I like how Doom and Ayers would compliment eachother at DE. I don't like how Indy's 2 small DEs make their run D terrible. W/ Doom rushing and Ayers playing solid run D, I think we can grab a DT in round 1 and DE depth in round 2. I'm partial to Dareus.

Like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole!!

Nolan did a good job but obviously he's not here!! I just hope Fox and Allen built a solid/great defense!

elsid13
02-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I understand but then bal, NE and pit have been in the hunt for the past 10 or 11 years.

Baltimore is not a true 3/4 , it more of hybrid that very unique and special.

BroncoStud
02-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I think we all suspected this would happen, I personally like it.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-06-2011, 11:06 AM

Exactly. It's listed as a 3-4 on paper but the majority of the time, "LB" Terrell Suggs (who's a DE) is a hand on the ground guy with a 4 man front look. The real difference is that when they use a pass rush look, they typically remove a DL from the field giving a 3 man look and going to a 3-3-5 instead of the traditional 4-2-5 with Suggs playing a "stand up" LB who still often puts his hand on the ground and rushes anyway. Their original experiment with the 3-4 was a failure and led to Ray Lewis' most unproductive season. He actually went public about how much he hated it back then so they drafted Ngata and went back to the 4-3. Now it's just a hybrid.

Actually, I believe the reason they started doing this at all (going hybrid 3-4 over 4-3) was back when Suggs' contract was up and they decided to franchise him they realized they could save a lot of money doing it as an OLB than as a DE. Suggs was pissed because he mostly plays DE in a 4 man front. He was even listed on the roster as a DE until then. After that, they started listing him as a LB... probably so the league and his agent wouldn't have a case for more money with a the franchise tag.

Oh. I also think we'll better off in a 4-3 front. Ayers SUCKS as an OLB and other than pass rushing from there, so does Doom. GOing back to a 4-3 also allows us the freedom to take whoever we want at #2 without worrying about being scheme specific. If it's Fairley, Bowers, Dareus, whoever, great. All can play in the 4-3. It's questionable if Bowers or Fairley could even be effective in a 3-4 and #2 overall is a little high for a 5 technique anyway. It's not, however, too high for a star DE or 3 technique!

If we were staying 3-4, I'd probably say lets just grab Von Miller and let him rush the passer from the 3-4 OLB spot all day with Doom and force Ayers to eat his way up to 290 lbs or so to play 5 technique.

BigSarge87
02-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Yep. I'm fine going with the 4-3. Even so, I don't think we should be as worried about the scheme we run as finding players that can consistently excecute it.

It seems we have a defense full of 4-3 players that have been trying to make the change to 3-4. Makes sense that we would give them a chance to let them do what comes natural to them and see if they excel at it.

elsid13
02-06-2011, 11:59 AM
The problem Denver has had over the last 10 years is that constant change of defense scheme and systems. It very hard to develop or draft players when you are continue changing what you are looking for. Even today, I think the change back is going to be problem, because I am not sure if there DE with enough strength at RDE to anchor that side of the line.

Slick
02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
The coaches need to coach what they know. I'm fine with switching to a 4-3...like it matters anyway.

I'd really like to see this bargaining agreement get worked out so that there can be a relatively normal free agency period leading up to the draft.

I believe with a couple key veterans and a solid draft we could at least get ourselves out of the cellar and into the middle of the pack on defense.

I have faith in coach Fox, and I believe Elway/Xanders are on board to put at least a fair amount of money on the defensive side of the ball.

LSIGRAD09
02-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Good, we need that. Our 3-4 has caused us nothing but trouble.

Krugan
02-06-2011, 12:50 PM
The 4-3 is fine, but we really need alot of help(either scheme).

I see us right now needing 1 to 2 DT's and at least 1 DE. Not at all sold on Ayers.

We need a true MLB and have for a long time. My gut tells me we arent even close to having one here. DJ, nope. Mays, doubtful, maybe he has fire. Not going into the rest, is all the same for me.

Saftey!!!! we need a real safety, a Hair, a Reed, a young Dawkins/Lynch. we havent had a good young safety for years. We have some players, but one is made of glass and broken glass at that.

Either way, I really hope we can keep a DC for at least 3 years to get some stabilty here. 6 in 6.... Its no wonder we are the bottom feeders, talent or not.

And I would love to see Champ back, because im selfish and really appreciate the guy here. This is one of the few cases I wont fault a guy for jumping ship, I want him to have a ring, almost feel he deserves one, and i dont think it can happen here in the time frame he has left.

JDL
02-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Baltimore won as a 4-3 and New England won all but last as a 4-3. Point is moot.

Baltimore

DE Michael McCrary
DT Tony Siragusa
DT Sam Adams
DE Rob Burnett

New England (And Seymour used to play a lot of DT before becoming a 3-4 DE and they had a few different players on that DL B.Hamilton, McGinest, Seymour... they were a 4-3 during both 2001 and 2003.)

Ravage!!!
02-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Pittsburgh wasn't a "contender" until they got a QB. Pittsburgh hasn't hasn't a contender longer than Indy has when running their 43.

I like that we are coming out and saying this and moving forward in a direction that fits. I don't think the 34 is any better than the 43.

To me, not only do I want a stud DT, but I REALLY REALLY want a MLB that brings back the "Al Wilson" to this team.

LTC Pain
02-06-2011, 03:15 PM
If with the first three picks in the first two rounds of the draft the Broncos take the best available DE/DT, ILB and CB I will be happy. Then use the rest of the picks to try and get a FB, pass catching TE (if not thru Free Agency) and depth for the O-line.

Ziggy
02-06-2011, 04:15 PM
The 4-3 is fine, but we really need alot of help(either scheme).

I see us right now needing 1 to 2 DT's and at least 1 DE. Not at all sold on Ayers.

Ayers is best suited as a 4-3 defensive end. Say what you want about his pass rushing skills, but he can hold the point of attack. As a 3-4 OLB he's a step slow. As a 4-3 DE, he has all of the skills, speed and size that you look for in that position.

topscribe
02-06-2011, 04:27 PM

Amid all this 3-4 vs. 4-3 controversy, this is what I like best to hear: very
unique and very special.

Fox said the scheme is not as important as the horses in the scheme. If the
defense has players in it, at least a competent DC can make it work if he
designs the scheme around the players.

That is why Fox withheld judgment as to what the Broncos would go with. Now,
the Broncos are making noises as if they will favor the 4-3. It makes sense. As
Carol noted, knowledgeable ex-players have said the present cast is more
conducive to the 4-3. This was backed by a full fanpost on MHR, documenting
the same thing.

As for me, I don't care. I just like what I witnessed of the Orange Crush of
the 1970s: If the other team scored more than 17 points, they considered
that game a failure . . .

-----

silkamilkamonico
02-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Our defense sucked in the 3-4, and sucked in the 4-3. We actually had the worst defense i the history of our organzation with the 4-3. I would have rather have stayed with the 3-4, but whatever, Fox is a 4-3 guy and I'm hoping he can make it work.

We better hope Bowers is at #2 though. We really do not have solid DE's at all. Doom is a situational pass rusher in the 4-3, and was even worse agains the run in the 4-3 than the 3-4 because he lines up closer to the point of attack.

Ayers does not project to be a very good DE in the NFL. He has a better ceiling at OLB, but he hasn't exactly impressed there anyways.

We are in desperate needs of DE's, and I also think we are going to desperately need LB's. Maybe Ayers can work into an OLB role in the 4-3 so that doesn't become such a glaring need.

Our defense is in complete shambles for the 4-3, but we were only marginally better with the 3-4 anyways.

The worst part is the players on defense are making yet another switch to an entirely new scheme....again.

silkamilkamonico
02-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Ayers is best suited as a 4-3 defensive end. Say what you want about his pass rushing skills, but he can hold the point of attack. As a 3-4 OLB he's a step slow. As a 4-3 DE, he has all of the skills, speed and size that you look for in that position.

Completely disagree. He does not have an explosive burst (he didn't in college), and that's the one thing a DE needs off the line. It's exacty why he was projected as a long term OLB in the NFL coming into the draft and not a DE.

Elevation inc
02-06-2011, 07:41 PM
in order for the 4-3 to really work for us we need DJ williams gone from MLB, and we need a DT inside that can get upfield. Draft bowers at 2 or peterson at 2 or tarde back some and get dareus....

ideally for the 4-3 front

Doom-Dareus-Bannan-Ayers
Woodyard-????(Mays???)- Haggan

Thomas can play UT with dareus, and Jamal williamss can play NN with bannan, then we just need a legit MLB because DJ isnt it for the 4-3, we also need a Legit safety as well....

topscribe
02-06-2011, 08:10 PM
in order for the 4-3 to really work for us we need DJ williams gone from MLB, and we need a DT inside that can get upfield. Draft bowers at 2 or peterson at 2 or tarde back some and get dareus....

ideally for the 4-3 front

Doom-Dareus-Bannan-Ayers
Woodyard-????(Mays???)- Haggan

Thomas can play UT with dareus, and Jamal williamss can play NN with bannan, then we just need a legit MLB because DJ isnt it for the 4-3, we also need a Legit safety as well....

Actually, D.J. excelled at Will in the 4-3. That is his natural position, one
that he should never have had to leave.

The question mark to me is Mays. He showed some promise, and he hits
like a rabid rhino.

-----

Medford Bronco
02-06-2011, 08:10 PM

when was the last time this D has the personel to run a 3-4, 1977-1980?:confused:

topscribe
02-06-2011, 08:17 PM
when was the last time this D has the personel to run a 3-4, 1977-1980?:confused:

They had some very special people back then: Rubin Carter, Barney Chavous,
Lyle Alzado, Gradishar, Swenson, Rizzo, Tom Jackson, Steve Foley, Billy
Thompson, Louis Wright.

Whom do the have now, besides Champ?

-----

Medford Bronco
02-06-2011, 08:23 PM
They had some very special people back then: Rubin Carter, Barney Chavous,
Lyle Alzado, Gradishar, Swenson, Rizzo, Tom Jackson, Steve Foley, Billy
Thompson, Louis Wright.

Whom do the have now, besides Champ?

-----

I was being sarcastic, but I love that D:salute:

We had decent Ds under Reeves and a servicable one under Shanny 96-98 when the Offense was off the charts

Den21vsBal19
02-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Nah, we were certainly playing it during the mid-eighties....pretty sure our starting LBs at one point were Fletcher, Mecklenberg, Huntley & Ryan...........

silkamilkamonico
02-07-2011, 01:49 AM

We haven't had the personnel to run the 3-4, or the 4-3, since the turn of the millenium, with the one exception of 2005 and early 2006 which seems to be more of a blip on the Denver defensive failures.

There's a reason why this organization has been a laughing stock to a degree on the defensive side of the ball for what seems like....forever.

Bosco
02-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Very stupid move IMO. Going to a 4-3 relegates your extremely well paid defensive playmaker (Dumervil) to a rotational role and makes two of your very promising linebackers (Haggan and Mays) completely worthless.

Juriga72
02-07-2011, 07:53 AM
LOL...... Lets switch 3-4 to 4-3 every play. THAT will keep em guessing...

Lonestar
02-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Yet extrodinary do it it something that we will nor be in a 4-3.

Note that most of the playoff winners and superbowl contestants for the past decade have been 3-4 teams.

Lonestar
02-07-2011, 09:52 AM
The problem Denver has had over the last 10 years is that constant change of defense scheme and systems. It very hard to develop or draft players when you are continue changing what you are looking for. Even today, I think the change back is going to be problem, because I am not sure if there DE with enough strength at RDE to anchor that side of the line.

Actually we have really only changed schemes twice in the past decade.
When bates came in and then when Josh came in.

The real reason ww have sucked on D is because we have never made a commitment to drafting DL since price was drafted in IIRC 1998.
And when we did tit was fubar After fubar.

TXBRONC
02-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Personally I prefer the 3-4 but in either case you need talent to run either scheme.

SOCALORADO.
02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Actually, D.J. excelled at Will in the 4-3. That is his natural position, one
that he should never have had to leave.

The question mark to me is Mays. He showed some promise, and he hits
like a rabid rhino.

-----

Spot on.
DJ has only ever excelled at WLB in a 4-3. Move him back.
Doom had no problem playing in the 4-3 a few years ago, so why cant he now? He is more than capable, although i have no doubt that Fox has plans to utilize Doom in hybrid schemes to make him more productive.
As for Mays, its possible, or Fox could just lure MLB James Anderson from CAR and plug him in. Suddenly with DJ at WLB and Anderson at MLB, DEN doesnt look so bad at the LB position, and bring in FA SS/FS Roman Harper.
As for DT, well theres PLENTY of true high-calibur talent in this years draft.
Nick Fairley AUB
Corey Liuget ILL
Stephen Paea ORE ST
Drake Nevis LSU
Marvin Austin NC
Jarvis Jenkins CLEM
Jurrell Casey USC

All of these guys are top notch 1st through 3rd round, NFL calibur starters.
This draft is deeeeep at 4-3 DT and DE.

JDL
02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Yet extrodinary do it it something that we will nor be in a 4-3.

Note that most of the playoff winners and superbowl contestants for the past decade have been 3-4 teams.

Not sure why this misinformation keeps getting regurgitated.

2000: Baltimore (4-3) v. NYG (4-3)
2001: New England (4-3) v. St. Louis (4-3)
2002: Oakland (4-3) v. Tampa Bay (4-3)
2003: New England (4-3) v. Carolina (4-3)
2004: New England (4-3) v. Philadelphia (4-3)
2005: Pittsburgh (3-4) v. Seattle (4-3)
2006: Indianapolis (4-3) v. Chicago (4-3)
2007: New England (3-4) v. NY Giants (4-3)
2008: Pittsburgh (3-4) v. Arizona Cardinals (Ran Both)
2009: Indianapolis (4-3) v. New Orleans (4-3)
2010: Pittsburgh (3-4) v. Green Bay (3-4)

16 4-3 Defenses
5 3-4 Defenses
1 Defense that ran both and that is being generous as Clancy Pendergast was a 4-3 guy (he's now gone), but Whisenhunt has had them mix in more 3-4s as he's been trying to develop the talent to run a 3-4 fulltime, so they basically have been running both.

JDL
02-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Spot on.
DJ has only ever excelled at WLB in a 4-3. Move him back.
Doom had no problem playing in the 4-3 a few years ago, so why cant he now? He is more than capable, although i have no doubt that Fox has plans to utilize Doom in hybrid schemes to make him more productive.
As for Mays, its possible, or Fox could just lure MLB James Anderson from CAR and plug him in. Suddenly with DJ at WLB and Anderson at MLB, DEN doesnt look so bad at the LB position, and bring in FA SS/FS Roman Harper.
As for DT, well theres PLENTY of true high-calibur talent in this years draft.
Nick Fairley AUB
Corey Liuget ILL
Stephen Paea ORE ST
Drake Nevis LSU
Marvin Austin NC
Jarvis Jenkins CLEM
Jurrell Casey USC

All of these guys are top notch 1st through 3rd round, NFL calibur starters.
This draft is deeeeep at 4-3 DT and DE.

Very True.

JDL
02-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Completely disagree. He does not have an explosive burst (he didn't in college), and that's the one thing a DE needs off the line. It's exacty why he was projected as a long term OLB in the NFL coming into the draft and not a DE.

This is what you need at RDE, LDE is the power rush end (speed is less important which is why OTs are moved to that side when they don't have good enough feet to play LT.) That is what Ayers was projected as coming out of college. That is his ideal position.

We have around 35mil next year invested in our DL with Dooms contract kicking in and the boatload of money we gave Bannan and Williams. The DL probably doesn't need more money thrown at it, just better player development and use.

We need a SLB and MLB, also a WLB if we move DJ Williams. The toughest of those to fill is the MLB and there really aren't great prospects in this draft, though I firmly believe Von Miller (at 237lbs) has the block shed ability and ability to sift through traffic to be a great MLB (Urlacher was projected to SLB where Miller is projected, also 3-4 OLB because he is so special), but it shouldn't be an issue adding 5lbs and he will be bigger than Al Wilson who routinely played in the 230s (as he had trouble maintaining his weight throughout the season.)