PDA

View Full Version : shanny made the right call on 4th down.stop dogging

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 10:02 AM
all over the news channels all I heard was what id he thinking over 4 min to go in the game and he's going for it on 4th down that deep in there own field wow what a bad caoching job....
NO thats not the way I saw it,a little over 4 min to go in the game 4th down yes if we punt there could be a fumble,but the way I saw it is they have been running the ball all day long with no problem all they had to do was get 1 first down and the game was over we had no time outs left..So shanny was thinking with the off numbers we have put up over the first 2 weeks he would put the game into the off. hands.that was the best chanch we had of winning the game...but it always does not work and this was one of those times...
all so close......so agree with the move shanny made...what do the members think good move like I think or bad..let us know..

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 12:06 PM
I just heard on t.v. ''what was shanny doing how stupid can he be going for it on 4th down on your own 15 then they said he's acting like herm edwards..''
to me thats a insult because he done the right thing...

omac
09-24-2007, 12:17 PM
all over the news channels all I heard was what id he thinking over 4 min to go in the game and he's going for it on 4th down that deep in there own field wow what a bad caoching job....
NO thats not the way I saw it,a little over 4 min to go in the game 4th down yes if we punt there could be a fumble,but the way I saw it is they have been running the ball all day long with no problem all they had to do was get 1 first down and the game was over we had no time outs left..So shanny was thinking with the off numbers we have put up over the first 2 weeks he would put the game into the off. hands.that was the best chanch we had of winning the game...but it always does not work and this was one of those times...
all so close......so agree with the move shanny made...what do the members think good move like I think or bad..let us know..

I agree with your post; the defense wasn't doing it's job, so he took a chance on the offense being able to deliver, and it almost did. Shanny decided that this was the best moment to try to get a chance to win the game, and he took it. If we'd converted, we'd all be hearing about what a genius he was, but since we didn't, everyone gets to question his call. If he didn't go for it, I'm pretty sure the same fans would be saying that he should've. :D

topscribe
09-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Third and long on our own 9-yard line, five minutes to go, down by one score.
Nope, that was a horrendous gamble, and it was a very significant factor in
losing the game.

Fourth and goal, and Shanny runs it up the gut against possible the stoutest
inerior defense in the league. Horrendous call. Shanny ignored the strengths of
the offense (Cutler's mobility and Graham, Marshall, Walker, Stokley, and
Sapp), in that he could have called a bootleg with the option to run or pass.
That is almost impossible to stop. I sat there as the team lined up for the play,
knowing that if they ran it up the gut it would be stuffed. What's worse,
Henry was on the sidelines! :confused:

Hixon, the immortal future HOF kick-returner, fumbles the ball. It was very
obviously a fumble. So Shanny challenges, burning a valuable time out.
Then the other two TOs are burned on the same series.

Shanny is overall one of the best coaches in the league, IMO. But he blew
this one, big time. This can be chalked up as his all-time worst coached
game.

-----

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 12:22 PM
I agree with your post; the defense wasn't doing it's job, so he took a chance on the offense being able to deliver, and it almost did. Shanny decided that this was the best moment to try to get a chance to win the game, and he took it. If we'd converted, we'd all be hearing about what a genius he was, but since we didn't, everyone gets to question his call. If he didn't go for it, I'm pretty sure the same fans would be saying that he should've. :D

thank you!!!!!
I have talked to around like 25 friends and none of them agree with what i am saying..but its true...
I am sure there are a lot of fans and not fans that think the same way we are...
I just dont know whats going on with denver's d-line this season yes its new but come on..

BroncoWave
09-24-2007, 12:25 PM
losing the game.

That is almost impossible to stop. I sat there as the team lined up for the play,

game.

-----

Agreed. His 3rd and 4th down calls inside the 5 yard line we both horrible. Not to run Henry on either one of those plays is beyond stupid. I can see why we went for the last 4th down but if it wasn't for his crappy playcalling earlier, we wouldn't have been in that situation.

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 12:26 PM
losing the game.

game.

-----

I don't think so..
and if they would have converted and marched down the field and won the game you would be saying what?????
''wow what a heck of a call the best coach in the nfl took a chanch and I agree with it,thats what you would be saying now,but since that did not happen your not..'' dont worrie about that there's a bunch of people like you..

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Agreed. His 3rd and 4th down calls inside the 5 yard line we both horrible. Not to run Henry on either one of those plays is beyond stupid. I can see why we went for the last 4th down but if it wasn't for his crappy playcalling earlier, we wouldn't have been in that situation.

ok!!
your the coach next week you call the plays...if you can do better

topscribe
09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
ok!!
If you disagree, respectfully do so, then explain why.

Let's don't start getting personal. I can close this thread in a heartbeat. :coffee:

-----

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 12:32 PM
ok!!

I don't think so..
and if they would have converted and marched down the field and won the game you would be saying what?????
''wow what a heck of a call the best coach in the nfl took a chanch and I agree with it,thats what you would be saying now,but since that did not happen your not..'' dont worrie about that there's a bunch of people like you..

Ok, your two posts just now are probably THE WORST I have EVER seen on a messageboard.

It's Shanahan's JOB to call the plays, it's what he is supposed to do. There's no problem criticizing someone because you feel he made the wrong play.

You DON'T know Topscribe, I am sure he would still be saying it was a very risky move EVEN if we marched down the field and scored.

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 12:33 PM
If you disagree, respectfully do so, then explain why.

Let's don't start getting personal. I can close this thread in a heartbeat. :coffee:

-----

My bad for my previous post then.

:ohwell:

BroncoWave
09-24-2007, 12:34 PM
ok!!

don't give me that bullcrap argument. of course he would do a better coaching job than i would. i never said otherwise. but he still made two horrible calls on 3rd & 2 and 4th & 2 inside the 5. It makes no sense to have the league's leading rusher on the sidelines during those 2 plays. sometimes i think shanny tries too hard to fool the other team instead of just sticking to his bread and butter.

as for the 4th and 5, i was fine with him going for that.

Tned
09-24-2007, 12:47 PM
The worse call was the draw on first down in that series. I understand not wanting to look one dimensional, but the players that had been manking plays were Cutler, Stokley and Marshall, and everyone knows Walker is a beast, he should have put the ball in Cutler's hands to find those receivers, and then maybe there wouldn't have been the need to make the 4th down call.

Same thing on the no-points, two time outs used, debacle near the goal line in the other direction.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Had we actually converted that play, everyone would be cheering Shanahan as a genius on the call.

It wasn't a head scratcher for me. I didn't necessarily agree with it, but I understood it. We had no timeouts, and they would have had good field position anyways after a punt. They'd of ran out the clock, and Denver would have likely had less time to get down field. Shanahan was looking to win the game. I don't blame him for that.

You win some, you lose some. I'm not necessarily a fan of what was done, but I certainly understand the motive. You take risks, sometimes they pan out - sometimes they don't. Shanahan was going for the win and the move was an investment of confidence in the offense. If I recall the Game Cast, I think we had a penalty. That obviously didn't help.

Shanahan was damned either way (if he did or didn't) on that call yesterday in the eyes of most fans.

NameUsedBefore
09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree that the 4th and five attempt was needed. At the time I was pretty mad, but think of it this way. If we punted they'd at least have the ball around the 50. Their run game was going smoothly and even if we stopped them all they would have to do is kick a field goal for at that point the game would be down to the final minutes. When Shanahan went for it, the game was still winnable. If he punts and they kick a fieldgoal it would have been impossible for us to score twice in what would probably be the two minutes remaining.

Where Shanahan blew it was with the TOs. If we have the TO's he doesn't have to go for it on 4th and 5 with 4 mins to go.

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Had we actually converted that play, everyone would be cheering Shanahan as a genius on the call.

It wasn't a head scratcher for me. I didn't necessarily agree with it, but I understood it. We had no timeouts, and they would have had good field position anyways after a punt. They'd of ran out the clock, and Denver would have likely had less time to get down field. Shanahan was looking to win the game. I don't blame him for that.

You win some, you lose some. I'm not necessarily a fan of what was done, but I certainly understand the motive. You take risks, sometimes they pan out - sometimes they don't. Shanahan was going for the win and the move was an investment of confidence in the offense. If I recall the Game Cast, I think we had a penalty. That obviously didn't help.

Shanahan was damned either way (if he did or didn't) on that call yesterday in the eyes of most fans.

See my previous post Dream.

I don't think EVERYONE would be cheering Shanahan for that play. I think many would still view it as a crazy risk.

As you said though, I understood what he was thinking but it doesn't mean I thought it was a good choice.

Mike
09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree that the 4th and five attempt was needed. At the time I was pretty mad, but think of it this way. If we punted they'd at least have the ball around the 50. Their run game was going smoothly and even if we stopped them all they would have to do is kick a field goal for at that point the game would be down to the final minutes. When Shanahan went for it, the game was still winnable. If he punts and they kick a fieldgoal it would have been impossible for us to score twice in what would probably be the two minutes remaining.

Where Shanahan blew it was with the TOs. If we have the TO's he doesn't have to go for it on 4th and 5 with 4 mins to go.

I agree. At first I was a little surprised. Then I remembered that the defense couldn't stop anything so what-the-hay.

Think on this...if our well-paid TE would have caught that perfect pass...would people be doggin Shannahan for the call? Somehow I seriously doubt it. He'd be the Mastermind.

I believe that playcalling was suspect in the game overall though...culminating in that stupid QB sneak. That and turnovers are what really did the Broncos in. Sometimes Shannahan just outsmarts himself.

KCL
09-24-2007, 01:14 PM
I just heard on t.v. ''what was shanny doing how stupid can he be going for it on 4th down on your own 15 then they said he's acting like herm edwards..''
to me thats a insult because he done the right thing...

I dont know how he could be acting like Herm....he won't even go

for it on 4th and inches....:rant:

Buff
09-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Anyone that thinks punting was actually an option down there is dilusional and hadn't been watching the game...

Top said there was 5 minutes to go, I thought it was 4 and change... In any case, We had ZERO timeouts. ZERO! And we hadn't been able to stop the Jags offense ALL DAY. Not even a little bit-- couldn't slow them down.

Not only was it the right call, it was the ONLY call. If we had punted there, there is no way we get the ball back IMO... For the sake of argument, let's say we do punt and stop them on 3 straight plays (which would have been an absolute miracle given our performance throughout the day), even then we're getting the ball back with less than 2 minutes, with no timeouts, and probably 80 yards to go...

What it comes down to is Shanahan said, "Ok, I need my offense to step up and win the game for me, or I need the defense to step up and win the game for me." Who can blame him for NOT having faith in his defense at that point?

topscribe
09-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Nope, not everyone.

Not me. :coffee:

-----

KCL
09-24-2007, 01:37 PM
I watched most of the game and was wondering...what did he use all
the timeouts on? I am really surprised he didnt have a couple saved.

of course I didnt watch the whole game so maybe that is a stupid
question.

topscribe
09-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Anyone that thinks punting was actually an option down there is dilusional and hadn't been watching the game...

Top said there was 5 minutes to go, I thought it was 4 and change... In any case, We had ZERO timeouts. ZERO! And we hadn't been able to stop the Jags offense ALL DAY. Not even a little bit-- couldn't slow them down.

Not only was it the right call, it was the ONLY call. If we had punted there, there is no way we get the ball back IMO... For the sake of argument, let's say we do punt and stop them on 3 straight plays (which would have been an absolute miracle given our performance throughout the day), even then we're getting the ball back with less than 2 minutes, with no timeouts, and probably 80 yards to go...

What it comes down to is Shanahan said, "Ok, I need my offense to step up and win the game for me, or I need the defense to step up and win the game for me." Who can blame him for NOT having faith in his defense at that point?
As one with about 65 some-odd credit hours of postgraduate psychology
under my belt, I would not diagnose myself as delusional.

Moreover, I watched the entire game, along with a half-century of other
games, having played in a few of them in high school and college. In
addition, the color man in the announcer's booth, who is a former NFL
player, also disagreed with the call.

Let is not include personal dispersions in our opinions, okay?

-----

dogfish
09-24-2007, 01:51 PM
obviously it's a risk either way, but i agreed with the decision to go for it. . . given the way our efense was playing, i felt pretty sure that if we punted we wouldn't get the ball back. . . i was content to see us put the game on cutler's arm, rather than a unit that had pretty conclusively proven that they weren't likely to get it done. . .

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 02:08 PM

-----

I am not getting personal with anyone at all we all have are agree and disagree's...
but alot are saying ya if we punt they would get the ball around the 50 but with no timeouts all they would have to do is get one first down and the game would be over with no timeouts which they would have with our d-line playing the way they have all game long could not stop the run at all....
and timeouts the big wigs upstairs make the call on to throw the red flag not shanny they said to review it so he threw the flag,which was what the start of the 2nd half which gave them great spot on the field..so its not all shanny's fault on theat time out its upstairs.......well they lost still in 1st in the west..cant win them all.....I am not tring to start trouble with any members here...

Requiem / The Dagda
09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Nope, not everyone.

Not me. :coffee:

-----

Okay, so what would you have said had we converted and then won the game?

topscribe
09-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Okay, so what would you have said had we converted and then won the game?

Dream, there are two possibilties:

1. It was a mistake.

2. It was not a mistake.

What is the need to elaborate beyond that? :tsk:

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Alfred Williams was talking on am950 the fan just a few minutes ago in regards to this, and he said to him it indicated that Shanny did not have enough confidence in the defense to stop Jacksonville 3 and out, and get the ball back.

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Alfred Williams was talking on am950 the fan just a few minutes ago in regards to this, and he said to him it indicated that Shanny did not have enough confidence in the defense to stop Jacksonville 3 and out, and get the ball back.

as I have been saying since this thread was started....
I love the broncos and always will but there d-line really sucks through 3 games.....
there d-backs are fine they make all the tackles after a gain of at least 7 yards....boo-ya

Buff
09-24-2007, 03:36 PM

-----

Ha, well it only took me 1 post to insert my first disparaging remark (Also managed to slip in a misspelling-- I just needed it to be off-topic for the bad-post trifecta)... I'm off to a flying start... ;)

Seriously though, no personal disrespect intended... I don't see how anyone watching that game could possibly think that punting was a prudent solution. Randy Cross (the color commentator) is a functional moron, who at times is funny and insightful, and then can also be a complete rambling lunatic (Re: the "Aliens" comment in the Bills game)...

Can anyone tell me exactly how much time was remaining? I'll say 4:30, although it could have been a little more or a little less.... At the minimum, the Jags would have been able to run 120 seconds off the clock, then when you account for plays and time between plays-- it's a virtual certainty that the Broncos wouldn't have gotten the ball back with any more than 2 minutes...

So, if you're arguing for the punt--- The absolute BEST case scenario would be to get the ball back with less than 2 minutes left, with 0 timeouts, starting deep in your own end, needing a TD to win... And that's assuming you can get a solid punt off, cover that punt effectively and then stop the Jags from gaining ONE first down... Having watched the game, I don't see why anyone would A.) Assume the Broncos defense was even capable of a 3 and out at that stage in the game B.) Assume that the offense could go 80yards in under 2 minutes with no timeouts needing a TD to win.

To me, making those last 2 assumptions is borderline delusional... Again, no disrespect intended.

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Ha, well it only took me 1 post to insert my first disparaging remark (Also managed to slip in a misspelling-- I just needed it to be off-topic for the bad-post trifecta)... I'm off to a flying start... ;)

Seriously though, no personal disrespect intended... I don't see how anyone watching that game could possibly think that punting was a prudent solution. Randy Cross (the color commentator) is a functional moron, who at times is funny and insightful, and then can also be a complete rambling lunatic (Re: the "Aliens" comment in the Bills game)...

Can anyone tell me exactly how much time was remaining? I'll say 4:30, although it could have been a little more or a little less.... At the minimum, the Jags would have been able to run 120 seconds off the clock, then when you account for plays and time between plays-- it's a virtual certainty that the Broncos wouldn't have gotten the ball back with any more than 2 minutes...

So, if you're arguing for the punt--- The absolute BEST case scenario would be to get the ball back with less than 2 minutes left, with 0 timeouts, starting deep in your own end, needing a TD to win... And that's assuming you can get a solid punt off, cover that punt effectively and then stop the Jags from gaining ONE first down... Having watched the game, I don't see why anyone would A.) Assume the Broncos defense was even capable of a 3 and out at that stage in the game B.) Assume that the offense could go 80yards in under 2 minutes with no timeouts needing a TD to win.

To me, making those last 2 assumptions is borderline delusional... Again, no disrespect intended.

the way the broncos were playing no way...the jags ran all over them the whole game do fans not think they could not do it again on the last drive...
going for it was the only thing they could have done..did not even have to think about it...and for d.g. he all-most made a heck of a catch...and why did we pay him so much cash for his blocking because he has not done anything else..

topscribe
09-24-2007, 04:26 PM

THAT'S the kind of argument I have come to expect from BBF. :beer:

Actually, either decision could be viewed as the right one . . . or a mistake.
I think Shanny found himself in a "damned if I do, damned if I don't"
predicament. With either decision, if it didn't work out, the game was over.
Shanny could have punted, and the Jags run it down our throats into FG
territory. That was the one controversial decision where I can give him a
bit more leeway. He made several bad decisions, more than what I am used
to seeing from him.

As I think about it, however, the way they were playing, what would have
been a good decision? :confused:

-----

Broncos Mtnman
09-24-2007, 04:46 PM

I didn't hear this, but that's what I think it was.

In fact, I think it's quite likely that Shanny was willing to lose the game in an attempt to give the defense a message.

That message?

I can't trust you to do your job, so I have to take a big risk with the side of the ball I do trust.

Hopefully, Bates & Co get the message.

That said, I still think it was a bad call. Successful or not, it was a huge risk to take. The Jags would have been in "kill-the-clock" mode (likely running the ball three straight times) and stopping them would have given us around 2 minutes to try to win the game.

However, I don't think the game came down to that one play. Fumbles by Young and Hixon were the final nails in the coffin that cost us the game.

Shanny was wrong, but it didn't matter.

jhns
09-24-2007, 04:49 PM
THAT'S the kind of argument I have come to expect from BBF. :beer:

Actually, either decision could be viewed as the right one . . . or a mistake.
I think Shanny found himself in a "damned if I do, damned if I don't"
predicament. With either decision, if it didn't work out, the game was over.
Shanny could have punted, and the Jags run it down our throats into FG
territory. That was the one controversial decision where I can give him a
bit more leeway. He made several bad decisions, more than what I am used
to seeing from him.

As I think about it, however, the way they were playing, what would have
been a good decision? :confused:

-----

I am sure more than anything he has just been getting pissed at all the mistakes and penatlies. Those have been costing us badly. We would have blown out the first 2 teams had it not been for some costly penatlies and the penatlies plus the turnovers in the Jags game just gave us no chance. Even with the run d playing the way it was, we had a real shot at the game without so many horrible mistakes being made. Shanahan normally has one of the most diciplined teams in the league. I am sure it is driving him more than crazy that they are playing like they are right now. If it doesn't improve, expect those that are making multiple mistakes to be benched as a warning to the rest.

I would bet that was also messing with his play calling. What do you do when your team shoots itself in the foot no matter what is being called?

Tned
09-24-2007, 06:22 PM

Third down play ended at 4:53 or so, and the 4th down play was snapped at 4:19.

Tned
09-24-2007, 06:26 PM
That said, I still think it was a bad call. Successful or not, it was a huge risk to take. The Jags would have been in "kill-the-clock" mode (likely running the ball three straight times) and stopping them would have given us around 2 minutes to try to win the game.

However, I don't think the game came down to that one play. Fumbles by Young and Hixon were the final nails in the coffin that cost us the game.

Shanny was wrong, but it didn't matter.

Yep, that play didn't lose the game, but like you, I think they needed to punt. The defense had shown some signs of life in the second half, and as you said they would have been trying to run it out, which can often be counter-productive for an offense.

I do think his first down call of the draw was a huge mistake as well. I understand the logic behind it, but you are down by 6 and backed up, put the ball in your QBs hands and let him throw it to the only players that had been doing anything all game. Running a draw into the heart of the Jags defense was simply wasting a down.

lex
09-24-2007, 07:28 PM
I dont think it was the right move. I cut him some slack. Why he did it is understandable but, still, it was a panic move based on a first half TOP of 27 minutes to 3.

BroncoWave
09-24-2007, 08:00 PM
I do like the message he sent to the defense. He pretty much told them: You guys suck and I trust that our offense can convert on 4th and 5 at our own 9 yard line more than I trust yall to stop them and get us the ball back. Hopefully the defense takes that message and makes some improvements.

Tned
09-24-2007, 08:26 PM
I do like the message he sent to the defense. He pretty much told them: You guys suck and I trust that our offense can convert on 4th and 5 at our own 9 yard line more than I trust yall to stop them and get us the ball back. Hopefully the defense takes that message and makes some improvements.

The question is can the defense do better, just because they were sent a message?

I think the biggest help to our defense will be our offense getting leads in games and forcing teams to pass.

broncosfanscott
09-25-2007, 02:32 AM

I am not upset at Shanahan making the call to go for it on 4th down with 4+ minutes to go. I mean the Jaguars were controlling the clock and if we punt we probably don't get the ball back. The play was designed for Graham and it is unfortunate that he wasn't able to hold onto the ball when he hit the ground. The bright side on the play is that Cutler's throw was sick and right on target. Yeah, Graham should have made that catch and hopefully next time he will.

Retired_Member_001
09-25-2007, 05:55 AM

I completely agree with you.

Now I think about it, Shanahan REALLY did send them a strong message. I actually thought "maybe Shanahan doesn't trust the defense". It was still a crazy risk by Shanahan but it was a strong message.

Hopefully the defense reacts well to this message.

frenchfan
09-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Well...

IMO that was sure a risky gamble, but a right call.

Punting? yeah and so what? We had no more TO and less than 5 Minutes to go... and we couldn't stop Jags O... A punt would have put the Jags on about the 50 yards? They could have easily moved to score a FG...

Shanny was trusting our O and he was near to be right... If Graham didn't have dropped the ball, it would has been a first and 10.

IMO, if we would have punt the ball, the game was over anyway... So risky? yes... Good call? Yes...

I think there was other mistakes about this game, but not this call...
We lost the game because we were not good enough to win it... not because of a simple call...

Just my 2 cents...