PDA

View Full Version : There is only one way to beat Indy this week

Medford Bronco
09-24-2007, 09:17 AM
The only chance the Broncos have this week, is if they have ZERO
turnovers and Travis Henry has like 175 yards rushing in this game

it is not likely but can happen.

Many years ago the Broncos went Into Indy and Quentin Griffin and Mike Anderson grinded the clock and Plummer after an early pick was like 15 for 19 and looked great. Many many moons ago

Medford Bronco
09-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Here is the article

boy does this feel like a million years ago :lol:

Plummer, Broncos frustrate the Colts
By Associated Press
Published December 23, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDIANAPOLIS - The Colts have a few weeks to think about what went wrong against the Broncos.

They might have to come up with a solution quickly because the teams might meet again in the playoffs.

Even without the injured Clinton Portis, the NFL's second-leading rusher, the Broncos ran to a 31-17 victory late Sunday, clinching an AFC wild-card berth that could bring them back to the RCA Dome for the first round of postseason in two weeks.

"That's a wakeup call," Colts running back Edgerrin James said. "Now we've got to go down to Houston and take care of business next week."

The Colts (11-4), who still have a chance to win the AFC South and homefield advantage for one game, lost any possibility of a first-round bye because New England (13-2) will have a better overall record, and Kansas City (12-3) will have a better conference mark.

"Any time you lose a game you had a chance to win it's very disappointing, but we do have on our side another opportunity," James said.

Denver (10-5) earned its first playoff spot since 2000, even with Portis watching from the sideline because of a sprained right knee and ankle from the Dec. 14 game against Cleveland.

"I think I'm playing for my job," Portis said jokingly. "These guys went out and played great."

Quentin Griffin ran for 136 yards, Mike Anderson had 56 yards and one touchdown and Jake Plummer passed for 238 yards and one touchdown - and ran for two more scores.

"They were just doing what they do best, which is running and getting you going and cutting back," Colts linebacker Rob Morris said. "They just ran it and we missed tackles."

The biggest defensive play by the Colts came on Plummer's first pass attempt on the opening series, when linebacker Gary Brackett intercepted the ball and returned it 31 yards for a touchdown. But Denver scored on its next four possessions and didn't have to punt until early in the third quarter.

By that time, the Broncos were up 28-17, and they added a 24-yard field goal by Jason Elam late in the fourth, when the Colts managed just seven offensive plays.

"We wanted to see what the defense does," Denver coach Mike Shanahan said. "We wanted to run the ball in the second half and control the clock."

The Broncos finish the regular season at Green Bay, and Shanahan isn't looking forward to a possible return to Indianapolis the week after.

"This is such a tough environment to play in," he said. "With Peyton Manning, (Marvin) Harrison and Edgerrin, that's such an offensive unit. I saw them a hair away with the ball going off a couple fingertips here and there. They were that close to coming up with big plays. You hold your breath. This place is scary."

Indianapolis' second TD was on a 16-yard run by James early in the second quarter that tied the score - until the next Broncos possession. Denver moved 81 yards, including a pair of 19-yard passes to Ashley Lelie, with Plummer scoring from the 1 for the go-ahead touchdown.

The only other score for the Colts was on a 40-yard field goal by Mike Vanderjagt, who moved within one of tying the NFL record of 40 consecutive attempts without a miss. Manning became the first NFL quarterback to pass for 4,000 yards in five straight seasons but struggled, going 12-for-23 for just 146 yards.

"It was frustrating," Manning said, "and disappointing."

It was anything but for Plummer, who has made fans in Colorado forget about Brian Griese.

Sidestepping pass rushers, scrambling for first downs and picking apart defenses with pinpoint passes, much like John Elway used to, Plummer has the Broncos on a roll.

"He can make plays," Shanahan said. "We all knew what John could do, in the pocket making plays when nothing's there. Jake has that ability to scramble, throw on the run and make the big-time plays that you look for in a top-notch quarterback."

How important has Plummer been? With him, Denver is 9-2 and averages 395 yards and 28 points. In the four games he missed with foot and shoulder injuries, the Broncos lost three and averaged just 17 points and 258 yards.

And Plummer's been at his best when Denver has needed him the most.

Three straight losses in the middle of the season left the Broncos in danger of missing the playoffs for the fourth time since Elway retired in 1999. Plummer's return provided a quick fix.

With Plummer, Denver has won four straight and five of six to clinch an AFC wild-card spot. In that span, he completed 66 percent of his passes for 1,279 yards and seven touchdowns with four interceptions.

Along the way, he has made some good friends on the defense. With his scrambles and bootlegs, the Broncos have been able to dominate time of possession. On Sunday, they had the ball nearly 45 minutes.

"That's what you live for as a defensive lineman," defensive end Trevor Pryce said. "You live for sitting on the sidelines and watch the offense go up and down the field."

One of the knocks on Plummer in his six seasons with Arizona was he forced many passes and tried to win games on his own. That hasn't been the case since he signed a seven-year, $40-million deal with Denver in the offseason.

Plummer has kept his cool in tight situations, thrown the ball away instead of taking sacks and has relied on Denver's bevy of offensive weapons.

Plummer's passer rating of 89.0 is fifth in the AFC and is nearly 20 points higher than his career mark. He's thrown for 2,182 yards

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/12/23/Sports/Plummer__Broncos_frus.shtml

Tned
09-24-2007, 09:40 AM

Many years ago the Broncos went Into Indy and Quentin Griffin and Mike Anderson grinded the clock and Plummer after an early pick was like 15 for 19 and looked great. Many many moons ago

I thought you were going to say, "Hire a band of English soccer (futball) hooligans to kidnap Manning and Addai."

But, what you suggest could work, too. :D

Kapaibro
09-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Where does one buy sticks that big?

Medford Bronco
09-24-2007, 09:42 AM
I thought you were going to say, "Hire a band of English soccer (futball) hooligans to kidnap Manning and Addai."

But, what you suggest could work, too. :D

I though we needed to make Gary Hogaboom or Jack Trudeau start at Qb for Indy ;)

Kapaibro
09-24-2007, 09:45 AM
I can not condone the killing of Peyton...........

I'm okay with a bit of maiming though

underrated29
09-24-2007, 10:17 AM
i dont know why everone thinks we wil get blown out. this is the first game that i am not worried about. look at ten, and houston. they kept it close and i consider us a better offensive team than those.

we will do what the jags did to us, hold the ball and d-r-i-v-e down the field. henry most likely will rush for that much med.

the way i see it. we struggle against good running teams, and against good defenses. imo indy is neither.

addai is good, but peyton would rather pass, and if neither are on the field it will be hard for them to put up the stats.

as you said remember last year when we lost by the last 2nd field goal, and we had the bells and sapp running for like 200 yrds or something, henry and young should be able to blow that out of the water.

maybe its just me, but i have a good feeling about this one.

Mike
09-24-2007, 10:27 AM

It is. :heh:

As I said in a different thread. Denver's run defense is usually stout. They are anything but that this year. Addai is a good back and will run hogwild on Denver...just like every other back has done this year. I expect relatively modest numbers out of Manning this week...simply because he won't be needed.

I expect that Denver's offense won't be as woeful against Indy's defense...but chances are slim that they will keep up with Indy's offense. Their defensive line will be all over Cutler. They are much better than people give them credit for. They are very fast and aggressive and will give our O-Line fits.

Indy's offense will have more success against Denver's defense than Denver's offense will have against Indy's defense.

Can Denver win? Sure. I'd still take Indy and the spread.

broncos9697
09-24-2007, 10:30 AM

no the only wat we have a chanch not beat but a chanch to win the game is if we stop the run and get in the back field and get manning...which we have not done all season long...

SR
09-24-2007, 10:35 AM
I honestly think the Colts will have their way with Denver this weekend...on both sides of the ball. I didn't get to watch the game yesterday because I was on an airplane, but from what I've seen out of both teams so far this year, Denver really won't be able to keep up with Indy. There are too many question marks. Will Lepsis be able to contain Dwight Freeny? Will our CBs be able to stick on Harrison and Wayne? Can our LBs and Safeties cover Dallas Clark? Can we put enough pressure on Manning to get him flustered and on the move outside of the pocket? There are more, but those are the ones that stick out most in my mind.

SmithOverTO
09-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Ah Med, it was just like yesterday...maybe because that was the last Broncos game I attended :laugh:

The Colts are the league's measuring stick anyway, and it will be fun to see how we stack up. :defense:

sanluis
09-24-2007, 11:09 AM
There is only one way to beat Indy this week ...

Try Video taping the practices, rigging the radios and bribing the refs? :D:confused:

Oh wait, that'll cost you a lot of money!:D

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm going to a wedding and I'm going to miss this game.

The only way we beat Indy is if we change the offensive line completely before the 30th of September.

Lepsis and Foster.... I mean Peers (it's hard to tell them apart) are going to get killed by Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

omac
09-24-2007, 12:05 PM
i dont know why everone thinks we wil get blown out. this is the first game that i am not worried about. look at ten, and houston. they kept it close and i consider us a better offensive team than those.

we will do what the jags did to us, hold the ball and d-r-i-v-e down the field. henry most likely will rush for that much med.

the way i see it. we struggle against good running teams, and against good defenses. imo indy is neither.

addai is good, but peyton would rather pass, and if neither are on the field it will be hard for them to put up the stats.

as you said remember last year when we lost by the last 2nd field goal, and we had the bells and sapp running for like 200 yrds or something, henry and young should be able to blow that out of the water.

I agree with you man. I also mentioned on another thread what you did here, that we'll do to the Colts what the Jags did to us. :beer:

BroncoWave
09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
If we could somehow injure Manning (nothing serious, just to keep him out of the game) we MIGHT have a chance to beat them. But Manning is an iron man and will likely pick us apart as usual. I would be beyond stunned if we managed to defeat the Colts.

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm going to a wedding and I'm going to miss this game.

The only way we beat Indy is if we change the offensive line completely before the 30th of September.

Lepsis and Foster.... I mean Peers (it's hard to tell them apart) are going to get killed by Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

Ok no one cares but I may be able to catch the game mid second quarter untill the end.

:beer:

Not that I don't care for my second cousins wedding but I'd obviously like to see the Colts game aswell.

NameUsedBefore
09-24-2007, 01:05 PM
IIRC, Lepsis owns Freeney, so I wouldn't worry about that.

BigBroncLove
09-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Well I personally think a lot of things will be needed to plug this game into the W column. It's a horrendous matchup IMO, that favors Indy overall, but that doesn't mean the Broncos can't do it. They just have to execute with precision and not make costly mistakes.

I think a few people, including the thread creator, brought up turnovers. We can't give them up like we did against the Jags. I don't count Cutlers interception in that group, because he was trying to make something happen in a game that forced the offense to become one dimensional, but Young and Hixons fumbles were very costly. Can't do that against Indy.

The Broncos D won't have the luxery of stuffing the box gaainst Indy's WR's. They will have to put safties over the top of Wayne and Harrison, and whoever is the healthy nickle CB will have a tough day against Gonzales. I hope Foxy is healthy for that. They also have an excellent tandem of TE in Dallas Clark and Utecht. Both can catch and block, and I expect both to have good days against our LB core, and especially Furgeson, who has looked poor to me. If Lynch or Abdullah can't come back, this will be a really ugly day for our passing game IMO.

That leaves Addai to make tons of trouble against our poor run D so far, and we all know Payton loves the no huddle when he wants to use it. He is extremely effective at calling the O to snap the ball when opposing defenses are shifting personel on and off the field and draw a penalty for to many men on the field. Against our big DT's who need to be rested every few plays to be able to make it through a game, I expect Manning to run a lot of no huddle. That will tire the D out, and also force some costly penalties if the Broncos try and shift DT's on and off the field. This is what worries me most. The D has to stop MAnning quickly on several drives or risk being so gassed by the half tha he scores at will and puts the game away.

For the Bronco O, IMO it comes down to establishing the run. IT won't be easy with hard hitting Sanders and Bethea out there, and that Dline who is as formidable as any. What I do like is their LB's are not hard hitters, but fast moving LB's built more for side line to side line play and coverage. This is where Henry can make something happen. I think counters and plugs up the middle will really get to show Henry's tackle breaking skills off, and I hope he can run some for huge gains. If they can do that, with Cutlers arm and recent level of play, I think the O can have a huge day.

It'll be akin to last years game IMO, a big offensive shootout. The question is who can keep the momentum. This matchup really scares me, but I do think it's within the Broncos reach. They just have to execute at a high level.

OB
09-24-2007, 02:38 PM
The only chance the Broncos have this week, is

Elway's coming out of retirement :elefant:

:laugh:

dogfish
09-24-2007, 03:03 PM

i hear tanya harding is available also. . .

seriously, i am not looking forward to this game very much. . . .

Retired_Member_001
09-24-2007, 03:21 PM
IIRC, Lepsis owns Freeney, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The good ole' Lepsis we all know and love, yes.

The new, injured, not in shape, smashed up Lepsis, no.

Mount-n-Groan
09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
we will do what the jags did to us, hold the ball and d-r-i-v-e down the field.

That's it. That's how you beat them. No need to focus on pressuring Manning - he usually eats people up regardless. Keep him off the field and hope they make a few mistakes due to lack of establishing a rhythm.

So yes... do what the Jags did to us. We seem to be part of a bizarre pay-it-forward wave in the NFL right now so here's our chance.

This week: Kiffin thanks Shanny
Next week: Shanny thanks Del Rio

:werd:

Medford Bronco
09-24-2007, 03:51 PM

right now Houston looks a lot better than us so far

Also they have a great coach :D

Also that game in 2003 was perfect, We NEED to do that, I hope

but am not holding my breath

NameUsedBefore
09-24-2007, 03:52 PM
The good ole' Lepsis we all know and love, yes.

The new, injured, not in shape, smashed up Lepsis, no.

Lepsis hasn't even faced Freeney with this injury yet; until then I'll go with his past Freeney ownage especially since Freeney isn't playing at his past level.

BroncoManiac_69
09-24-2007, 04:17 PM

We need to do to the Colts what the Jaguars did to us yesterday. Keep the ball out of their hands. Jacksonville had nearly 39 minutes Time Of Possession which gave our offense little opportunity to do anything. We need to have a few of those 10 minute type drives that have points at the end.

Peyton wearing his ball cap instead of his helmet will be the key.

BigBroncLove
09-24-2007, 04:38 PM
That's it. That's how you beat them. No need to focus on pressuring Manning - he usually eats people up regardless. Keep him off the field and hope they make a few mistakes due to lack of establishing a rhythm.

So yes... do what the Jags did to us. We seem to be part of a bizarre pay-it-forward wave in the NFL right now so here's our chance.

This week: Kiffin thanks Shanny
Next week: Shanny thanks Del Rio

:werd:

:beer: couldn't agree more....

NameUsedBefore
09-24-2007, 05:40 PM
We need to do to the Colts what the Jaguars did to us yesterday. Keep the ball out of their hands. Jacksonville had nearly 39 minutes Time Of Possession which gave our offense little opportunity to do anything. We need to have a few of those 10 minute type drives that have points at the end.

Peyton wearing his ball cap instead of his helmet will be the key.

Yup. That's about the only way any team beats the Colts these days; you gotta keep Manning and Co. on the bench instead of out on the field torching your defense drive after drive. You gotta put eight to ten minutes between the attempts they get on the field so they can't get that ridiculous consistency they have when their offense gets rolling.

A good defense helps too :laugh:

BroncoManiac_69
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
A good defense helps too :laugh:

You said that out loud. ROFLMAO :rofl:

Sad but true. :eek:

Calibroncogrl47
09-24-2007, 06:00 PM
I would love it if we were able to sack Peyton a couple of times.. and put pressure on him all day!!

I think that is a big key also.. he cant have all day back there!

Skinny
09-24-2007, 06:02 PM
When they (Indy's offense) are on the feild, their starting feild position will play a big role in the tempo of the game. A tempo we will need to keep slow.

Especially for the defense.

Todd Sauerbrun had a great game agianst Jacksonville. Hopefully he can carry that over.

We'll need it.

Tned
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
i hear tanya harding is available also. . .

seriously, i am not looking forward to this game very much. . . .

Hey, Harding will work, nothing like a good knee bashing to slow Manning down...

Well, I am not going into Sunday's game with a ton of confidence, but at the same time I do believe in some ways we will matchup better against Indy that Jax. Our speedy LBs are better suited to handle the stretch runs than the power up the middle runs. Our corners should match up well against the receivers. If (big if) our ends can get some pressure, than the receivers will have less time to get open and our CBs will be that much more effective.

BroncoWave
09-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Todd Sauerbrun had a great game agianst Jacksonville. Hopefully he can carry that over.

We'll need it.

Fat lotta good it did us against Jacksonville.

Skinny
09-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Fat lotta good it did us against Jacksonville.http://forums.denverbroncos.com/images/smilies/th_huh.gif

Apperantly more good than your aware of.

Punts....YDS.....Avg....Long......TB

The Jags had to go 80 yards to score on 2 drives. Those were key punts.

'Feild Position' is always a big part of the game.

Especially when facing Indy.

Watchthemiddle
09-24-2007, 07:25 PM
We need to do to Indy what Jax just did to us.

Control the clock, line of scimmage, and put points up every time we have the ball on offense.

TXBRONC
09-24-2007, 10:07 PM

Yep, Denver held the ball in that game from something like 40 minutes total.

frenchfan
09-25-2007, 06:55 AM

But, what you suggest could work, too. :DI like this idea... :laugh:

We will ask to All Blacks (NZ Rugby team) and Chabal (Kappie will appreciate that one : Chabal the Neanderthal) to kidnap the 53 players... That's our best :defense:

ROFL

Okay... this is the plan :
1st half :
- We receive the kickoff...
- 1st possession : 30 Minutes for a TD.

2nd half :
- TD for Colts (about 5 minutes).
- 2nd possession : 25 minutes for a TD.

Result : Win 14-7.

sneakers
09-26-2007, 04:25 AM

Scoring more points than the other team helps too, Med. ;) :D

sneakers
09-26-2007, 04:27 AM
I like this idea... :laugh:

We will ask to All Blacks (NZ Rugby team) and Chabal (Kappie will appreciate that one : Chabal the Neanderthal) to kidnap the 53 players... That's our best :defense:

ROFL

Okay... this is the plan :
1st half :
- We receive the kickoff...
- 1st possession : 30 Minutes for a TD.

2nd half :
- TD for Colts (about 5 minutes).
- 2nd possession : 25 minutes for a TD.

Result : Win 14-7.

I like the kidnapping plot better. :heh:

Reidman
09-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Ok no one cares but I may be able to catch the game mid second quarter untill the end.

:beer:

Not that I don't care for my second cousins wedding but I'd obviously like to see the Colts game aswell.

It could be over by then man...:ahhhhh:

Seriously though, every year we play Manning he has enough time to make a sandwich, use the bathroom and then get the ball off to any one of his receivers. No chance in hell we beat them if he gets that kind of time this game, it doesn't matter how much we control the clock. The guy only needs like 2 min to score, you've all seen it. That game against Ten, the last couple minutes of the first half, they hadn't played that well up until then. It was almost like Peyton said, alright lets start playing some football, 79 yards in 1:12!! It resulted in a FG but c'mon, 79 yards in 72 seconds..!!

Yeah, I know I should but I'm not holding a lot of faith in this game. Him and his team have our number...I hope to God we get some kind of pressure or were doomed for sure.

Skinny
09-26-2007, 08:22 AM
I really hope Champ is on Wayne and Bly is on Harrison this week.

At this stage in their careers i think Wayne is the bigger threat. But Marvin still is a very precise route runner and still has the best set hands in the game IMO.

My only concern about them on offense is them using more '3 WR sets' to get more balls to Anthony Gonzalez as the #3 option. Payton is starting look his way more and more as the season goes on.

Gonzalez is big, fast, and physical and would present a match-up problem with us on our #3 corner. Which i would imagine would be Cox or Shaote (i prefer Cox).

And also by doing this it will spread the feild more and give their running game more room to function.

Something we definitely don't need.

But it would be a smart thing to do IMO on Indys part.

I really like the fact though that our DE's and LB's will be on turf and that will help their pursuit. Speed will be another thing we'll need to use to slow down that offense. An area i think we can take an advantage in.

Tned
09-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Gonzalez is big, fast, and physical and would present a match-up problem with us on our #3 corner. Which i would imagine would be Cox or Shaote (i prefer Cox).

It looks like Foxworth will be back, so the question is whether or not Lynch is going to play, and if Lynch doesn't play, where does Fox play? Safety or Nickel? Or, does he play safety, except in nickel situations, where he then becomes the nickel back and Cox plays safety? Don't really know.

In my mind we have two matchup concersn, who is covering Gonzalez, but possibly a bigger issue is Dallas Clark.

At the beginning of last year and the year before, Clark would likely have been covered by Brandon in the "Big Nickel" or whatever they were caling that scheme. This week, I don't know.

Hard to say which reciever Champ should cover. Wayne is more of a big play threat, Harrison will chew you up slowly (but obviously can still have a big play).

I would be very surprised if Wayne doesn't beat Bly badly at least a couple times, possibly/likely resulting in TDs. The question is if Champ covers him does it eliminate those big plays, but then how well does Bly handle Harrison and does Harrison then get his 6-10 10 yard passes?

Either way, I think we will matchup pretty good against their 1 and 2 WR, the question is do we have the personell and game plan to cover Clark and Gonzalez?

Mike
09-26-2007, 08:46 AM
It looks like Foxworth will be back, so the question is whether or not Lynch is going to play, and if Lynch doesn't play, where does Fox play? Safety or Nickel? Or, does he play safety, except in nickel situations, where he then becomes the nickel back and Cox plays safety? Don't really know.

In my mind we have two matchup concersn, who is covering Gonzalez, but possibly a bigger issue is Dallas Clark.

At the beginning of last year and the year before, Clark would likely have been covered by Brandon in the "Big Nickel" or whatever they were caling that scheme. This week, I don't know.

Hard to say which reciever Champ should cover. Wayne is more of a big play threat, Harrison will chew you up slowly (but obviously can still have a big play).

I would be very surprised if Wayne doesn't beat Bly badly at least a couple times, possibly/likely resulting in TDs. The question is if Champ covers him does it eliminate those big plays, but then how well does Bly handle Harrison and does Harrison then get his 6-10 10 yard passes?

Either way, I think we will matchup pretty good against their 1 and 2 WR, the question is do we have the personell and game plan to cover Clark and Gonzalez?

Exactly what I was thinking.

As for Wayne, I would put Champ on him. Anyone remember the moves that Wayne put on D-Will last year? The double move kills Bly and Wayne does that like a champ. I look for at least 2 TDs from Wayne if Bly is on him.

It probably won't really matter too much though. I think Addai and Clark will be enough to kill our defense. :tsk:

TXBRONC
09-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Hey, Harding will work, nothing like a good knee bashing to slow Manning down...

Well, I am not going into Sunday's game with a ton of confidence, but at the same time I do believe in some ways we will matchup better against Indy that Jax. Our speedy LBs are better suited to handle the stretch runs than the power up the middle runs. Our corners should match up well against the receivers. If (big if) our ends can get some pressure, than the receivers will have less time to get open and our CBs will be that much more effective.

More like his right elbow. ;)

Skinny
09-26-2007, 11:56 AM

Either way, I think we will matchup pretty good against their 1 and 2 WR, the question is do we have the personell and game plan to cover Clark and Gonzalez?Nice break down T and pretty much dead on IMO.

Esepecially about the personal match-ups.

If Lynch does'nt play, i would think Foxworth would be a lock at Safety with Abdullah still out too. Maybe, maybe not. Just my thought on it.

I feel very comfortable with either one of our LB's on Clark. Tackling him :ahhhhh: is a diffrent story :sad:. But it may be that Bates is so concerned with the run D that he keeps the LB's in the box and puts a Safety (Fox, Fergy??) on Clark.

I know i don't feel comfortable with Foxworth on Gonzalez as far as the physical part of the game. If that be the match-up, i very much hope he (Fox)proves me wrong.

It's untelling what's going through Bates mind when trying to match-up against their receiving core, while still trying to focus on stopping or at least keeping Indys running game in check.

I imagine it's alot with this game against Indy for he's certainly got his work cut out for him as well as the players.

Chidoze
09-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Much like last week, I think time of possession will determine who wins this contest.

Denver had possession of the ball for almost 2 1/2 quarters in 03 when Denver beat Indy in Indy. We won that game because Peyton didnt have enough time on the field to get into a groove.

Long drives that eat the clock and resulting in touchdowns will benefit Denver.

Simple Jaded
09-26-2007, 09:19 PM
With the exception of a few positions, the Colts are better at every single position....Their depth is better...Their coaching is better....

Unless the Colts pathetic run defense of a year ago and the Broncos solid run D of a year ago resurface, the Broncos have no chance of winning this game....

WTE
09-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I think I read somewhere that Denver beat the last five defending Super Bowl Champs they played.

That's pretty impressive.

BANJOPICKER1
09-26-2007, 09:45 PM
I worry we cant cover all the WR's and TE's...I think every week we will get better at the run D but this is a big deal team for us when we are still getting it together D wise..

GOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!:D

TXBRONC
09-26-2007, 11:06 PM
I worry we cant cover all the WR's and TE's...I think every week we will get better at the run D but this is a big deal team for us when we are still getting it together D wise..

GOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!:D

I'm not worried about us being able to cover their receivers. We have the best all round cornerback in the game today in Champ Bailey and the Bly isn't shabby either.

Deltagbear
09-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Lets use logic just for a moment....
Denvers run defense would allow my 7 year old to gain 100+ yards in a game. How are they going to stop Addai who has been putting up some good #'s. Not great, but we have allowed some crap runningbacks to have stellar games against us.
Denvers passing D has been outstanding, but when Bly makes that 1 mistake a game it seems to be taken in for a TD. Not good news as he is up against Wayne whom loves to have career days against us.
Our redzone scoring...:geezer:
Whats with henry getting 11 carries last week???:noidea: If we give Henry the ball 20+ times we stand 100% better shot at a Win.
If Walker is truely injured and can't play...:dead:

So noting in this life is 100% for sure...That means we have a shot!:censored:

TXBRONC
09-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Lets use logic just for a moment....
Denvers run defense would allow my 7 year old to gain 100+ yards in a game. How are they going to stop Addai who has been putting up some good #'s. Not great, but we have allowed some crap runningbacks to have stellar games against us.
Denvers passing D has been outstanding, but when Bly makes that 1 mistake a game it seems to be taken in for a TD. Not good news as he is up against Wayne whom loves to have career days against us.
Our redzone scoring...:geezer:
Whats with henry getting 11 carries last week???:noidea: If we give Henry the ball 20+ times we stand 100% better shot at a Win.
If Walker is truely injured and can't play...:dead:

The last report I saw on Walker said he's going play. Things can change dramatically between now and then but at the moment it looks like we can count on Walker to suit up.

I don't think you'll get any disagree that Henry has to get more than 11 carries in this game. The longer Peyton is sitting on the sidelines the better.

omac
09-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Denvers passing D has been outstanding, but when Bly makes that 1 mistake a game it seems to be taken in for a TD.

That happened just once this season. Other than that, the coverage by the corners have been pretty good.

The one who seems to be at fault with the TD pass of Garrard was DJ Williams, who was initially covering Reggie Williams just in front of the endzone, then a ref gets in his way, and Reggie Williams subtly goes unnoticed to the a free area in the endzone to later receive a pass undefended.

Bly's been playing pretty good; still, even the best corners get burned once in a while.

Mike
09-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Our redzone scoring...
If Walker is truely injured and can't play...

Just wanted to point out that while Denver's pass defense is #1 in the league, I worry that it is just smoke and mirrors. Don't get me wrong, Champ is the best and Bly is the best #2 CB in the league. They can cover. No, what really worries me is RBs in the flats, TEs up the seam, and slot WRs going across the middle.

But they have not faced a team with a real passing threat so far. So, while I think that the Denver pass defense is good, I hesitate in calling it outstanding simply because it hasn't really been tested.

To be honest, why throw against Denver when you can run on them? :confused:

I agree that Henry needs more than 11 carries. I was surprised to see that number. Especially since it was a close game. What I fear is that the Colts get out to a quick lead and take Denver out of the running game early. If Denver can keep it close and keep feeding it to Henry they could make it an interesting game. But I still think that the Colts defense is better than people think it is. They are very aggressive. Maybe Shannahan will devise a game plan to use that over-aggressiveness against them? Hmmm...

Medford Bronco
09-27-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm not worried about us being able to cover their receivers. We have the best all round cornerback in the game today in Champ Bailey and the Bly isn't shabby either.

I am worried that the will run for 200 on us

If the Raiders and Jags smoke us running, what is a great offense
going to do.:confused:

Like i have said the only way to win is clock control (175 rushing yards)

and no TURNOVERS. Can we do it? yes will we? I am not so sure :ahhhhh:

TXBRONC
09-27-2007, 05:30 PM
I am worried that the will run for 200 on us

If the Raiders and Jags smoke us running, what is a great offense
going to do.:confused:

Like i have said the only way to win is clock control (175 rushing yards)

and no TURNOVERS. Can we do it? yes will we? I am not so sure :ahhhhh:

I'm not sure either, however I'm not about to say its written in stone as a loss like JR is.

broncosfanscott
09-27-2007, 06:17 PM
I think I read somewhere that Denver beat the last five defending Super Bowl Champs they played.

That's pretty impressive.

Yeah, the Broncos have beaten the Super Bowl Champs the last 4 years starting with the Bucs. They also had a streak of 6 straight wins over teams that were in the Super Bowl the previous year until they lost to Seattle last year. I would love for the streak to continue this week against the Colts, yet I am not holding my breath.

TXBRONC
09-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah, the Broncos have beaten the Super Bowl Champs the last 4 years starting with the Bucs. They also had a streak of 6 straight wins over teams that were in the Super Bowl the previous year until they lost to Seattle last year. I would love for the streak to continue this week against the Colts, yet I am not holding my breath.

I know what you mean but at the same time I'm not worried about either.

Chidoze
09-27-2007, 08:08 PM
That happened just once this season. Other than that, the coverage by the corners have been pretty good.

The one who seems to be at fault with the TD pass of Garrard was DJ Williams, who was initially covering Reggie Williams just in front of the endzone, then a ref gets in his way, and Reggie Williams subtly goes unnoticed to the a free area in the endzone to later receive a pass undefended.

Bly's been playing pretty good; still, even the best corners get burned once in a while.
Actually, it was Champ who was at fault. I just watched Inside the NFL on HBO and during the Bronco/Jags game it showed clearly that Williams was Champs man.

It even showed Champ on the sideline telling his team mates he lost him in the mix.

Like you said, even the best corners get burned once in a while.

BigBroncLove
09-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Actually, it was Champ who was at fault. I just watched Inside the NFL on HBO and during the Bronco/Jags game it showed clearly that Williams was Champs man.

It even showed Champ on the sideline telling his team mates he lost him in the mix.

I saw that to. It was a mistake, btu the Broncos had twelve men on the field, so I have to think that even if they had stopped that play, the ensuing penalty would of allowed the Jags to score regardless. Champ owned up to it though, and I love hearing him mic'd up. His calss is even more evident on the field then off (like when Jones-Drew looked hurt and Champ was telling him after the tackle, "get up Drew, get up Drew.....")

pnbronco
09-27-2007, 08:15 PM
I agree Champ is a really great guy and a model of class. Can I still vote for kidnapping Manning?

Chidoze
09-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I saw that to. It was a mistake, btu the Broncos had twelve men on the field, so I have to think that even if they had stopped that play, the ensuing penalty would of allowed the Jags to score regardless. Champ owned up to it though, and I love hearing him mic'd up. His calss is even more evident on the field then off (like when Jones-Drew looked hurt and Champ was telling him after the tackle, "get up Drew, get up Drew.....")
Yea that kind of caught my ear too. You dont really hear opponents do that these days.....but that's the guy that Champ is, he cares about you after he hits the hell out of you....:laugh:

You gotta love Champ mic'd.....that doesnt get any better.

"Hey, I think I'm mic'd up.......check me Foxworth!" :rofl:

BigBroncLove
09-27-2007, 08:20 PM
"Hey, I think I'm mic'd up.......check me Foxworth!" :rofl:

Yeah, that was hilarious. Champ having foxy look for a wire so he knows he's hooked up when they armed him with a wireless mic :lol:

darrent/hero
09-27-2007, 08:37 PM
or payotn manning could break his leg.

Chidoze
09-27-2007, 08:44 PM
or payotn manning could break his leg.
Or our offense could just take it's time and keep him off the field.....one or the other. :alberteinstein:

omac
09-27-2007, 09:21 PM

Yeah, you're right. Initially, Champ allowed Williams to get in-between and through him while he was beside/fronting another receiver that i think Ferguson was covering; at the time, Garrard didn't have a clear throw to him. Then he scrambled to his right. DJ was going towards the direction of Champ, but a ref got in the way and slowed him down, so that he was in the middle of nowhere covering nobody. I just assumed he should've dropped back to cover the other receiver, or maybe he should've been where Champ was, and maybe Champ would've been able to drop down.

broncosfanscott
09-28-2007, 02:03 AM
Yeah, that was hilarious. Champ having foxy look for a wire so he knows he's hooked up when they armed him with a wireless mic :lol:

I totally was laughing when I saw that. :laugh:

BroncoBJ
09-28-2007, 02:34 AM
Yea I agree with a lot of people here. No turnovers and take long drives that result in TDs. IF we win the turnover battle and the Time of possesion battle then I believe we will win. :elefant: But I'm always believing. I dont want Manning injured. I want to win fair and square. I dont care how we win but I want to win. It sure would make me feel a lot better after a win vs the Colts.

We can do it. :salute: