PDA

View Full Version : NFL's Goodell wants CBA deal done in "next few weeks"

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2011, 02:15 PM
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell speaks today during a press conference at the Super Bowl XLV media center. (Doug Pensinger, Getty Images North America)

DALLAS — NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said today he wants the owners and players' union to reach a new collective bargaining agreement "in the next few weeks."

At a Super Bowl news conference, Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco was called on by Goodell to ask a question. Ochocinco said that on behalf of all players he wanted to know "how far away are we from realistically getting a deal done?"

"I can tell you the commitment on behalf of the ownership is on getting an agreement," Goodell said. "I think that's only going to happen when there's intense negotiations from your union and the owners. This is the window of opportunity to get this done right. Otherwise, uncertainty is going to seep into all of our operations. ... I say, let's get to work, let's get an agreement that works for everybody."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17294374?source=rss - full article

GEM
02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Quit talking about it and get the damn thing done already. I don't want to hear how you want it done, I want to see you GET IT DONE.

Juriga72
02-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I just heard the NFLPA mouthpiece.....

"There's only ONE side that can lock us out"....

Wow..... At least he's got THAT figured out.....

GEM
02-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Extend this CBA and all you freaking billionaires can sit around and get the new one worked out while not ruining the product for Joe Schmoe who pays for the whole thing. :mad:

Juriga72
02-04-2011, 03:52 PM
They were talking about this whole subject here.

"Its about how big the piece of the pie is they get".

WHO cares...... IF the whole pie is BIGGER, guess what numbnuts.... YOUR piece is bigger too.

They are talking billions more for a TV contract.... and 45% of billions more? goes to whom?

BroncoJoe
02-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Extend this CBA and all you freaking billionaires can sit around and get the new one worked out while not ruining the product for Joe Schmoe who pays for the whole thing. :mad:

Not harping on you GEM, but that statement kind of bugs me. While I understand the popularity, tickets, concessions, parking, merchandise purchasing, etc. all comes from the fans, I wonder how that compares to the advertising dollars put forth by, well, advertisers.

Obviously it all comes back to the fans, but in relation to actual dollars the NFL receives, which is greater?

GEM
02-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Not harping on you GEM, but that statement kind of bugs me. While I understand the popularity, tickets, concessions, parking, merchandise purchasing, etc. all comes from the fans, I wonder how that compares to the advertising dollars put forth by, well, advertisers.

Obviously it all comes back to the fans, but in relation to actual dollars the NFL receives, which is greater?

Yea.....and the tv contracts that will still have to be paid whether the freaking tv stations have a product during that time slot or not.

I don't care who pays more.....everyone pays out the kazoo for a product. Over pure greed, they aren't going to have a product.

BroncoJoe
02-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Yea.....and the tv contracts that will still have to be paid whether the freaking tv stations have a product during that time slot or not.

I don't care who pays more.....everyone pays out the kazoo for a product. Over pure greed, they aren't going to have a product.

Actually, I think only DirecTV has to pay whether or not there's football, but I could be wrong...

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I just think the advertisers and networks pay a lot more for the game than the actual fans.

Clearly though, that's a guess on my part...

GEM
02-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Actually, I think only DirecTV has to pay whether or not there's football, but I could be wrong...

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I just think the advertisers and networks pay a lot more for the game than the actual fans.

I am guessing they do as well. My opinion is that greed will be the downfall. Luckily they are a strong enough brand to make it through a lockout....but they do this and they could be looking at a return that is similar to hockey's lockout. Just not smart business moves.

Lonestar
02-04-2011, 04:02 PM

I does not work that way. I'm pretty sure that they do not want the old CBA in place as then the players have nothing ro lose in dragging this out.

In labor relations contract negoations There has to be a point where some one loses if they walk out or be locked out. Or deals do not get done.

As I have said for ever the owners have all the weapons the only thing they lose is some extra revenue. Owners will get paid by the networks whether there are games or not the players lose all of their income and have bills to pay.

The owners will get everything they want. The players have zero power.

Goodell has been playing the contract game for a couple years. The union has been doing nothing to force the owners hand.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoJoe
02-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I am guessing they do as well. My opinion is that greed will be the downfall. Luckily they are a strong enough brand to make it through a lockout....but they do this and they could be looking at a return that is similar to hockey's lockout. Just not smart business moves.

I tend to agree, but there was an interesting article in the Post about one of the attorneys for the NFL. The NHL lockout caused the players to "crawl back on their knees" and salaries were greatly reduced. The NFL situation is completely different in the sense that the NFL is no where near bankrupt.

Goodell said something interesting in that State of the NFL conference. Something to the effect that if there is a lockout, billions are going to be lost, resulting in a reduced pool to now distribute. I thought that was an interesting comment.

BroncoStud
02-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Owners hold the power here. They can always find new players. The NFLPA really had a solid deal done last time in their favor, it ain't gonna happen this time.

dogfish
02-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Quit talking about it and get the damn thing done already. I don't want to hear how you want it done, I want to see you GET IT DONE.

abso****inglutely!

no one wants to hear socket puppets mumbling, it's worse than useless. . . no more press conferences or positioning statements, there's no victory to be won in the court of public opinion. . . lock yourselves in a conference room and GET. . . IT. . . DONE! and please shut the **** up about it until then, no one takes anything any of you fuggin' tools says seriously at this point. . . the baby is on fire and you're standing around posturing and gesticulating-- somebody put the damn thing out already. . .

quit trying to convince us how urgent this is to all of you when you've had years to work on it and have let it go down to the wire without accomplishing shiat. . . :coffee:

dogfish
02-04-2011, 04:35 PM

even if that's true, those advertisers wouldn't pay a plugged nickel if fans didn't provide the TV ratings. . .

Krugan
02-04-2011, 04:37 PM

Without Joe Schmoe watching and keeping interest, the advertising dollars go away.

it is all about us little guys, we drive the market. Be it tickets jerseys or compainies trying to sell us a ruby encrusted butt huggers, it goes away if the little guy doesnt take interest.

BroncoJoe
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
even if that's true, those advertisers wouldn't pay a plugged nickel if fans didn't provide the TV ratings. . .

Without Joe Schmoe watching and keeping interest, the advertising dollars go away.

it is all about us little guys, we drive the market. Be it tickets jerseys or compainies trying to sell us a ruby encrusted butt huggers, it goes away if the little guy doesnt take interest.

Again, not disagreeing with either of you or GEM. Just the statement that "we pay their salaries" isn't necessarily true from a hard dollar standpoint.

Spiritguy
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
If you want to know how it looks to play out financially, read this (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/on-bubbles). I'll warn you it's long. but he gets into a lot of details that I had no clue about. Like the owners possibly hiding "assets" to make it look worse than it is for them. etc...

Worth the read to be sure. just be sure to pee first. :laugh:

BroncoJoe
02-04-2011, 05:05 PM
If you want to know how it looks to play out financially, read this (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/on-bubbles). I'll warn you it's long. but he gets into a lot of details that I had no clue about. Like the owners possibly hiding "assets" to make it look worse than it is for them. etc...

Worth the read to be sure. just be sure to pee first. :laugh:

Thanks for posting. I skimmed through it, but found it incredibly interesting! I'll be reading it in full later (after my son's spelling bee...).

LSIGRAD09
02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I hope we can get this done.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
The following link has a lot in regards to the CBA/owners/players, etc.

http://nfllabor.com/

TXBRONC
02-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Agreed, there is nothing he can really do other than exhort the owners and players to get their butts in gear.

Bosco
02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I want to ride a unicorn over a rainbow. Neither one of those things is going to happen.