PDA

View Full Version : Capsule look at Hall of Fame candidates

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Dang - in looking at this list, Shannon may have a hard time making it again this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_hall_of_fame_capsules-5855549

Devilspawn
02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Bettis, Faulk, Primetime and Ed Sabol are locks IMO.

SOCALORADO.
02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
How in the hell is this guy NOT in the hall yet!?!?
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/football/nfl/08/07/chff.hall/atwater.jpg

rationalfan
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
i don't understand how bettis could be a better candidate than sharpe. bettis simply ran well in a run-based system (for pitt, most of his career). sharpe revolutionized his position posting stats that were unparalleled until gonzales and gates came into the league.

blows my mind.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2011, 03:14 PM
How in the hell is this guy NOT in the hall yet!?!?
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/football/nfl/08/07/chff.hall/atwater.jpg

IMO - that not only stands for Steve, but a few other Broncos as well :mad:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2011, 03:19 PM
i don't understand how bettis could be a better candidate than sharpe. bettis simply ran well in a run-based system (for pitt, most of his career). sharpe revolutionized his position posting stats that were unparalleled until gonzales and gates came into the league.

blows my mind.

I agree - and it appears to me that the HOF is somewhat of a popularity contest, when it comes to the selection, rather than based on what each player actually accomplished, what each player meant to their team, etc.

Juriga72
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I agree - and it appears to me that the HOF is somewhat of a popularity contest, when it comes to the selection, rather than based on what each player actually accomplished, what each player meant to their team, etc.

The only thing you can even think is..... Denver is out of sight out of mind of ESPN and the other media outlets.

Lets just try to list a few who SHOULD be in
Randy G.
Floyd L.
Shannon
Steve A.
TD

IMHO- Rod should be too...."Most yards/Td's by a UNDRAFTED player"

GEM
02-04-2011, 03:28 PM

blows my mind.

That's what I was thinking the other night on the way home. RB's are a dime a dozen. Sharpe made the TE position what it is today.

When I think of the top RB's of all time....I don't think fatass Bettis.

GEM
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
The only thing you can even think is..... Denver is out of sight out of mind of ESPN and the other media outlets.

Lets just try to list a few who SHOULD be in
Randy G.
Floyd L.
Shannon
Steve A.
TD

IMHO- Rod should be too...."Most yards/Td's by a UNDRAFTED player"

Randy G not being in is a freaking travesty. Guy was an absolute monster and if he were on the Steelers he would have been first ballot. :rolleyes:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I hate to say it, but it looks like the best shot any more Bronco players will have will be the way #44 FINALLY got in - as a senior selection - WHAT A SHAME:tsk:

Ravage!!!
02-04-2011, 03:40 PM
I don't think Bettis is a lock, but I think Faulk is.

The problem is, people remember the NOW. Shannon Sharpe really changed that position, but his records have already been broken by Tony G, and those are well on their way to being broken by Antonio Gates.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't think Bettis is a lock, but I think Faulk is.

The problem is, people remember the NOW. Shannon Sharpe really changed that position, but his records have already been broken by Tony G, and those are well on their way to being broken by Antonio Gates.

If that is the case, rather than each players' individual achievements being taken into consideration, where they stood when they retired, then they need to drop the 5 year waiting period, as records will always be broken. And I guarantee you, even if Gates ends up with better stats than Tong G., we all know, Tony G will be in the HOF.

Juriga72
02-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I hate to say it, but it looks like the best shot any more Bronco players will have will be the way #44 FINALLY got in - as a senior selection - WHAT A SHAME:tsk:

Seriously...... While I am all for Zimm getting in...MORE than 1/2 his career was with Minnesota.

This is possibly the worst voting membership out there. IIRC these 44 voters need to get a reality check....fast

AND I have to agree with GEM... Randy first and foremost needs to be in. See my diatribe in the Steve Atwater thread...lol

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2011, 04:03 PM
The following explains the selection process:

One of the things it says is:

The Committee consists of one media representative from each pro football city with two from New York, inasmuch as that city has two teams in the National Football League. A 33rd member is a representative of the Pro Football Writers of America and there are 11 at-large delegates.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.aspx

Within that article is FAQ

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.aspx

Dzone
02-04-2011, 04:06 PM
The HOF is a joke

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
The HOF is a joke

It certainly is when it comes to the Broncos - playing football for 50 years, and only 3 players in the HOF:tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2011, 04:23 PM
This link shows, by team, all HOF members. Neither Houston or Jacksonville have any.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/teams.aspx

KCL
02-04-2011, 04:40 PM
I thought Little got in already.

BroncoJoe
02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
It certainly is when it comes to the Broncos - playing football for 50 years, and only 3 players in the HOF:tsk:

And appearing in six Superbowls...

Juriga72
02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
I thought Little got in already.

by Senior committee... not on merit

rationalfan
02-04-2011, 08:47 PM
The HOF is a joke

no. the basketball hall of fame is a joke. player or coach X reaches Y amount of points/wins and he's in. lame.

the reason the nfl's HOF irks so many people is that its selection process is stringent and rigid. they don't want to let any pretty good player into the hall. they want great/transcendent/legendary figures. that's the way it should be.

i've written this before, i loved watching steve atwater, dennis smith, mecklenburg, lynch, etc. play. but they're not HOFers. they weren't great. they were really, really good. but they weren't great. in my mind, sharpe, davis and nalen should be in the hall. maybe gradishar - but, honestly, i'm too young to know. after that, nobody else.

hotcarl
02-05-2011, 01:59 AM
no. the basketball hall of fame is a joke. player or coach X reaches Y amount of points/wins and he's in. lame.

the reason the nfl's HOF irks so many people is that its selection process is stringent and rigid. they don't want to let any pretty good player into the hall. they want great/transcendent/legendary figures. that's the way it should be.

i've written this before, i loved watching steve atwater, dennis smith, mecklenburg, lynch, etc. play. but they're not HOFers. they weren't great. they were really, really good. but they weren't great. in my mind, sharpe, davis and nalen should be in the hall. maybe gradishar - but, honestly, i'm too young to know. after that, nobody else.

tl;dr :rolleyes:

Dzone
02-05-2011, 02:28 AM
I like how Floyd Little wears his yellow HOF blazer everywhere he goes. He probably had them make him about 10 blazers so he always has a clean one. He was on the Tim Mcarver show in that yellow blazer. Floyd probably appreciates being in the hall more than anyone.

Dzone
02-05-2011, 02:29 AM
TD not being in the hall of fame is a travesty. If the bus gets in before TD then the HOF really is pathetic.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2011, 10:56 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17299754

Devilspawn
02-05-2011, 02:41 PM
That's what I was thinking the other night on the way home. RB's are a dime a dozen. Sharpe made the TE position what it is today.

When I think of the top RB's of all time....I don't think fatass Bettis.
Of course not, you're looking at his football achievements. We're talking about the NFL Hall of Fame and their jock lubing voters.

Think about it. The Steelers are in the Superbowl. And who loves to wax the ball hairs of the Steelers more than the NFL? I didn't say Bettis was a lock for what he did on the field. Curtis Martin's stats are a fraction better, but he didn't nearly fumble away a SB only to get a ring thanks to a game saving tackle and controversial refs that hated the Seahawks. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I saw one player get in a few years ago, and he was a longshot. His team was playing in the SB. I can't remember who it was, but I do remember it was a few years ago.

I say:

Ed Sabol
Jerome Bettis
Marshall Faulk
Shannon Sharpe
Deion Sanders
Les Richter

I usually get two right per year lol.

Devilspawn
02-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I say:

Ed Sabol
Jerome Bettis
Marshall Faulk
Shannon Sharpe
Deion Sanders
Les Richter

I usually get two right per year lol.
Well I got 5 of 6. :lol:

Ravage!!!
02-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I think it will be a while, if ever, that Bettis gets in. I don't think Martin ever makes it. I don't never thought of him as a HoF guy to begin with.