PDA

View Full Version : Nalen placed on IR

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2008, 03:55 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.nalen.center.2.823840.html

Broncos Place Tom Nalen On Injured Reserve

DENVER (CBS4) ― The Denver Broncos announced on Tuesday that they have placed center Tom Nalen on injured reserve with a left knee injury.

Nalen, a 15-year veteran, ranks second in Broncos history in career starts (188).

Nalen has been selected to five Pro Bowls, the most by a Broncos offensive lineman in franchise history.

He was also a member of Denver's back-to-back Super Bowl teams in 1997 and 1998.

shank
09-23-2008, 03:55 PM
weak. :salute: tommy

GEM
09-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Gonna miss nails! :(

Funny story, a couple games ago they showed Rod Smith on the sideline and some other guy. I knew I'd seen the face before, but didn't place it. Til I remembered...it was Nalen with short hair. WTF!! Where's the crazy wildman long hair!! :laugh:

NightTrainLayne
09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Well, that means good-bye to the last vestige of the Broncos Super-Bowl runs on the playing field.

:salute: Fair-thee-well Nails, we'll miss you. :salute:

Davii
09-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah this most likely means he won't try to come back next year.

Sad to see you go Nails and thanks for all you've done for our Bronco's. :salute:

honz
09-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Damn. I'm guessing this means his career is over. You will be missed, Tommy.

I wish Nalen was healthy, but thank god we got Weigman this summer. Weigman has filled in nicely.

Doom crew72
09-23-2008, 04:02 PM
To bad but expected I guess.

Seen him after the game, wasn't in the mood to sign anything.

Who is our back up now to Weigman?

honz
09-23-2008, 04:03 PM

Probably Hamilton would slide over...unless Lichtensteiger (sp? damn that name) is ready to play.

Skinny
09-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Fudge.

shank

i would guess hamilton would rotate in and lichtensteiger would play LG?

edit: slow

Doom crew72
Probably Hamilton would slide over...unless Lichtensteiger (sp? damn that name) is ready to play.

Thanks, I was trying to think of that guy, damn.

Cugel
09-23-2008, 04:14 PM
That's just really depressing. What a sad way to end a great career!

He was as fine a Broncos OL as they come! He was a good man too.

It's just sad it had to end this way. Good thing for the team they signed Casey Weigman or they'd be in a world of hurt right now.

SOCALORADO.
09-23-2008, 04:20 PM
So that means Baron Von Lichtenstein gets a turn?!?!

Dortoh
09-23-2008, 04:20 PM
So do they bring in some more OL depth? Mustard maybe?

Superchop 7
09-23-2008, 04:21 PM
What a great player.

Help us get Lick ready Tommy.......he needs your help.

Most people think you will retire.......maybe you will......but, personally I think it would be a mistake,......reason ???......I think we are Superbowl bound next year.

Leave the field like John did.

Leave nothing.

Kaylore
09-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah it sucks, but he's had his time. Maybe we can win the Super Bowl this year. It's a shame because he's the last Bronco to have played in that Super Bowl team.:pout:

turftoad
09-23-2008, 04:24 PM
So do they bring in some more OL depth? Mustard maybe?

Probably Gandy if he hasn't been picked up yet.

dogfish
09-23-2008, 05:22 PM
next stop, ring of fame!!

:salute: :salute:

it's the end of an era, and that's sad to see, but the good news is that it looks like we're already ushering in the next generation of kick-ass broncos linemen. . . . tom was an absolute warrior and a consummate pro-- he left an awfully big legacy for these young guys to live up to. . .

pnbronco
09-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks Tom for everything. You will be missed....:salute:

Broncos Mtnman
09-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Sad to see this.... :(

However, you gotta be stoked about how well the line has played in his absence.

:salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-23-2008, 05:41 PM
More on Nalen -

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/23/broncos-place-nalen-ir/

ENGLEWOOD — The Broncos have placed 15-year veteran Tom Nalen on injured reserve with a bum left knee, potentially ending the career of the team’s last remaining link to their back-to-back Super Bowl teams in 1997-98.

Nalen, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, missed the final 11 games last season with a torn biceps but returned to offseason conditioning and mini-camps seemingly healthy. He experienced pain in his left knee in June and underwent an arthroscopic procedure. He returned for the start of training camp.

But a week later, he was having severe pain and was shut down, eventually necessitating another surgery after missing the entire preseason. The second procedure was described as a ‘clean-out’ by the team.

Nalen finally returned to practice this month and the feeling was it may be several weeks before he regained his conditioning and could rejoin the game-day roster. But last week, coach Mike Shanahan said the veteran center was sore and required rest.

The sense is now that Nalen will need a microfracture surgery to have a chance to resume his career. But at age 37, it’s not clear whether he’d be willing to make that choice.

Nalen's roster spot was filled by guard Dylan Gandy, who the Broncos released after the preseason.

Also Tuesday, the Broncos released safety Hamza Abdullah and signed safety Vernon Fox.

frauschieze
09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Probably Gandy if he hasn't been picked up yet.

Thought we already picked him up again when we traded Foxworth. I'm not positive though.

Fare thee well, Nails. Thank you for everything. You will be missed.

Edit: Must have been smokin' something.

yardog
09-23-2008, 05:48 PM
:salute: Nails.

honz
09-23-2008, 05:50 PM
More on Nalen -

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/23/broncos-place-nalen-ir/

ENGLEWOOD — The Broncos have placed 15-year veteran Tom Nalen on injured reserve with a bum left knee, potentially ending the career of the team’s last remaining link to their back-to-back Super Bowl teams in 1997-98.

Nalen, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, missed the final 11 games last season with a torn biceps but returned to offseason conditioning and mini-camps seemingly healthy. He experienced pain in his left knee in June and underwent an arthroscopic procedure. He returned for the start of training camp.

But a week later, he was having severe pain and was shut down, eventually necessitating another surgery after missing the entire preseason. The second procedure was described as a ‘clean-out’ by the team.

Nalen finally returned to practice this month and the feeling was it may be several weeks before he regained his conditioning and could rejoin the game-day roster. But last week, coach Mike Shanahan said the veteran center was sore and required rest.

The sense is now that Nalen will need a microfracture surgery to have a chance to resume his career. But at age 37, it’s not clear whether he’d be willing to make that choice.

Nalen's roster spot was filled by guard Dylan Gandy, who the Broncos released after the preseason.

Also Tuesday, the Broncos released safety Hamza Abdullah and signed safety Vernon Fox.
Ugh...I bet he is done. Microfracture isn't what it used to be, but at age 37 it would be at least a year before he is ready to go and then he would be in the same boat next year...trying to play on a slightly hobbled knee and probably re-aggravate the injury by trying to come back too early.

I'd love for him to come back and play one final season next year, but I just don't see it happening, especially if he needs microfracture surgery.

hamrob
09-23-2008, 06:28 PM
This is the last year of his contract. So, I think he's done. He'd really want to play again to come back. He'd have to negotiate a contract...probably a 1yr deal for league minimum...and for what?

Well, maybe...for a chance at a 3rd ring...but doesn't seem likely.

Best Offensive Lineman to play for the Broncos IMO. And, that's with all my due respects to Zimm, Stinky and Tony Jones!

hamrob
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Thought we already picked him up again when we traded Foxworth. I'm not positive though.

Fare thee well, Nails. Thank you for everything. You will be missed.

Edit: Must have been smokin' something.That's what I thought to. Anyone else remember who we signed to fill Foxy's roster spot?

honz
09-23-2008, 06:38 PM
That's what I thought to. Anyone else remember who we signed to fill Foxy's roster spot?
Lowry, I think.

MOtorboat
09-23-2008, 07:06 PM
http://www.leaguelineup.com/realfootball/photos/NalenTPractice430_08.21.08.jpg

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

56crash
09-23-2008, 10:22 PM
:proud:I wish nailen all the best wow 15 years ....

ikillz0mbies
09-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Wow....I would've really liked to see Nalen play this year with all of the Broncos young players. The guy is one of the best linemen to ever play the game. Oh and I think someone called Gandy to be this years Chad Mustard. He's on this team for the 3rd time now? And he hasn't even played a full season or played a game with Denver.

G_Money
09-24-2008, 12:07 AM
I have nothing bad to say about Nalen. I hope the young guys soaked up what they could from him. I almost wonder if he was around this year just to help out with the kids once it was obvious that he wasn't gonna play.

He's one of the best OL I've ever seen, and one of the best Broncos.

Tom Nalen, I :salute: you.

When they induct you into the Ring of Fame, I think you should make someone else talk for you, since Broncos OL don't talk. :D

~G

pnbronco
09-24-2008, 12:01 PM
I have nothing bad to say about Nalen. I hope the young guys soaked up what they could from him. I almost wonder if he was around this year just to help out with the kids once it was obvious that he wasn't gonna play.

He's one of the best OL I've ever seen, and one of the best Broncos.

Tom Nalen, I :salute: you.

When they induct you into the Ring of Fame, I think you should make someone else talk for you, since Broncos OL don't talk. :D

~G

Great post G, well said. He has outlasted many of higher picks than himself and has conducted himself in a way that has only brought pride to the Broncos. I will miss seeing that wild hair of his. I wonder if he will follow in the steps of Stink and David and start talking....:D

Bronco Bible
09-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Good luck Tom:salute:

Hobe
09-24-2008, 06:20 PM
What can you say? Nalen has been a rock solid center and the leader of the O-line since Zimmerman left. He is the last remaining link to the Super Bowls left.

GOOD LUCK TOM! :salute:

I don't think anything will change this year. Wiegmann will anchor the line for the rest of the year. We'll have to wait till after the season to see what the long term plans are.

NameUsedBefore
09-25-2008, 01:11 PM
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=58473

Talk about bitter.

And out of touch.

yardog
09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=58473

Talk about bitter.

And out of touch.

I like that Moneyinthebank guy. :salute: