PDA

View Full Version : Sean Payton complains to league about call.

Rusty Shackleford
09-22-2008, 07:57 PM
PAYTON COMPLAINS TO LEAGUE ABOUT BLOWN CALL
Posted by Mike Florio on September 22, 2008, 7:43 p.m.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Saints coach Sean Payton has complained to the league about the critical non-call late in Sunday’s game against the Broncos.

As we laid it out earlier, the officials didn’t see that a member of the Denver defense was clearly lined up offside on a key third-and-one play late in the game. If the officials had spotted the infraction, the Saints would have had a first down inside the Broncos 20.

ESPN showed the video of the play, and it’s clear that linebacker Jamie Winborn was on the wrong side of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

MOtorboat
09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Saw it on the MNF pre-game.

Weak sauce.

DenBronx
09-22-2008, 08:05 PM
lame....i didnt know payton was going to look for excuses on why they lost. the sheffler fumble could have went either way. it seems like coaches are becoming babies and poor sports more and more nowdays. if they couldnt put up more points then us then thats their fault.

Bronco4ever
09-22-2008, 08:07 PM
:Cry:

Broncolingus
09-22-2008, 08:14 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Shut-the-****-up, Coach!!!!

Italianmobstr7
09-22-2008, 08:40 PM
What a little bitch!

Northman
09-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Hey Payton, how bout your kicker actually made a FG like he gets paid too?

TDmvp
09-22-2008, 09:15 PM
It is starting to get as bad as gymnastics or figure skating ... instead of complaints over the judges , now nfl coach cry every game about refs ...
some coaches need to grow a set cause life aint always fair , and at least the nfl tries to get it right ...

slim
09-22-2008, 09:26 PM
A baby says what?

Skinny
09-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Sean Payton interveiw....
What happened on the 3rd-and-1 play?

"That's on me. It was a goal line defense and I should've taken a timeout. The clock had gone down and we have a package where we can out of a play and into another play and the clock was running down; Drew was doing a good job of trying to use the time to our advantage. The play-design all of a sudden becomes problematic in that there's an extra guy on the back side. I thought that at the point of attack we blocked it well, Pierre did as good a job as he could have done and they were in a front that really made it tough for us to run the play.

"The thing that's disappointing for me on that play was that earlier in the game we got called for a neutral zone infraction on Jo-Lonn Dunbar, and I'm watching the game today on the coaches' tape and on that 3rd-and-1, their linebacker to the point of attack looked to be in the neutral zone. I went back and I looked at the TV copy and he's a yard-and-a-half in the neutral zone on our side of the line of scrimmage. That's a hard pill for me to swallow on a critical play like that. Now it had no bearing on the outcome of the play in regards to the result but when something like that happens, it's not a judgment call. It's clearly a call that's right in front of you as a line judge and you make it or you don't make it. Usually when it's close, the play goes on but my problem was that it wasn't close. My problem was that this player not only was in the neutral zone but his whole head is across the line of scrimmage and past the ball before the ball is ever snapped and no call was made. I have a hard time swallowing that because obviously all these plays are important, but from a consistency standpoint, that same penalty was called against us earlier in the game. I can understand some judgment calls - ones that maybe could go either way - but when something like that isn't called and it's a neutral zone infraction, it's discouraging.

"But we had plenty of opportunities. I didn't want to get up here and start complaining about a lack of call. The play wasn't a good play versus that front and I don't think who the running back was would have mattered because there was guy coming free. That one's on me."

Could that have been a big play if not for the man coming free?

"It's a big play, it's a big gain the way it's blocked. The problem is in a gaps defense there is one extra guy and Zach Strief was doing his job to handle the down lineman and then there was one extra. To battle that you get into tighter formation and bring a receiver in tight to handle that extra guy, but those are all things that are hindsight. I think at the point of attack it was blocked extremely well considering there was a guy a yard offsides on defense."Canal Street Chronicles (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2008/9/22/619777/payton-answers-some-questi)

honz
09-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Sean Payton interveiw....Canal Street Chronicles (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2008/9/22/619777/payton-answers-some-questi)
He says he didn't want to get up there and complain about the non-call...and then he continues to whine.:coffee:

omac
09-22-2008, 10:30 PM
lame....i didnt know payton was going to look for excuses on why they lost. the sheffler fumble could have went either way. it seems like coaches are becoming babies and poor sports more and more nowdays. if they couldnt put up more points then us then thats their fault.

They're all starting to act like whiny Charger fans and coaches. :D

dogfish
09-22-2008, 10:48 PM
please!

maybe we should complain about the half-dozen facemasks against doom that weren't called. . . seriously, there are plenty of non-calls during every game-- only losers need to isolate one and complain about it. . . i guess any excuse is better than "my defense gets scored on more than a five dollar french quarter hooker," right sean?

Shep
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Next thing you know, Kiffen will blame us for getting canned.

hamrob
09-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Here's SI's take...with a photo of the play in question.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/09/22/tracker/index.html

omac
09-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Next thing you know, Kiffen will blame us for getting canned.

Doubt it; he could've complained when Shanny did the kicker-freeze-timeout, but he didn't. He instead learned to use it on an opponent that same season. Norv, however, got seriously pissed when Mangini used it earlier today to try and freeze his kicker. Norv, Norv, Norv. :D

Kaylore
09-22-2008, 11:28 PM
If the refs missed the Winborn call, it would mean the Broncos have benefited from questionable officiating to pull out consecutive victories at home.

Oh I love it. They're going to spin it like that play cost the Saints the game.:rolleyes:

hamrob
09-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh my....we suck! :-)

Give me a break...what a bunch of crap. My guess is...every week when you review the tape of the game...you see 2-3 plays where calls should have been made. Payton's a big puss! I hope the Saints get rolled over this year.

Bronco4ever
09-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Chit like this annoys me. I have heard fans and a few analysts say that the Broncos could/should be 1-2. You can look at about half the games from each week and say a couple of plays here and there would have changed the out come of the game. Last time I checked, the standings aren't based on speculation.

LRtagger
09-23-2008, 07:22 AM
this is going to happen to us every week now

Thnikkaman
09-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Chit like this annoys me. I have heard fans and a few analysts say that the Broncos could/should be 1-2. You can look at about half the games from each week and say a couple of plays here and there would have changed the out come of the game. Last time I checked, the standings aren't based on speculation.

Every time you see that, just point at the SCOREBOARD!!!!

This is how I have learned to shrug it off when the Broncos get screwed. No matter how much I complain, or what they say, you can't change the scoreboard.

Bad Intentions
09-23-2008, 10:53 AM
He WAS offsides. You can watch the play and see that he did not get back on sides either. I'd bet money that the Broncos are showing this play in the their film room and telling Jamie that he nearly cost us a game impacting stop out of stupidity. There really is not excuse for lining up that far offsides. Jarvis Moss was also called for this during the game. IMO, it's an inexcusable foul. Jumping offsides due to a hard count happens. Lining up offsides and still being slow off the snap is just flat out frustrating.

I'm okay with us getting some calls though. You look at some of the calls that have cost us big time and we're just now getting even! I'm okay with saying it when we get jobbed by the refs, and I'm alright saying it when we benefit from them jobbing someone else! Like Al Wilson said, to make it to the SuperBowl you have to stay healthy and you have to get lucky.

MileHighWrath
09-23-2008, 11:24 AM
this is going to happen to us every week now

And if we get a superbowl victory out of it ... WOOHOO!

All the cry babys and whiners can suck my bronco!

3-0 :beer:

BCJ
09-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Maybe Sean should answer the question why he didnt use Bush for at least a decoy on those 4th and one and 3rd and one running plays? I am sure he has seen it work before. I can show him some film from Super Bowl 32 if he needs to see how a coach uses a weapon without giving him the ball.

Doom crew72
09-23-2008, 04:29 PM
He looked off sides, ref didn't see it, bring on KC!

TehChamp
09-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Watching PTI on ESPN, and Wilborn said Payton needs to shut up because refs miss calls, and his defense lost him the game. Refs won't get every call, but you have to make the fricken plays when they matter.

NameUsedBefore
09-23-2008, 04:48 PM
QQ moar.

LawDog
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Maybe Payton should be reminded that he was given six points earlier in the game on a play where the ball never broke the plane of the goal line. I thought at the time that Shanahan was correct not to risk a timeout since they would probably score on the next play anyway. After the terrific goal line stand later in the game, maybe he should have challenged it.

smith49
09-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Maybe Payton should be reminded that he was given six points earlier in the game on a play where the ball never broke the plane of the goal line. I thought at the time that Shanahan was correct not to risk a timeout since they would probably score on the next play anyway. After the terrific goal line stand later in the game, maybe he should have challenged it.

that is actually a great point. i wondered about that at the time, and thought the same thing later in the game after the stand.

fcspikeit
09-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Sean Payton interveiw....Canal Street Chronicles (http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2008/9/22/619777/payton-answers-some-questi)

"Now it had no bearing on the outcome of the play in regards to the result"

First he says it had no bearing,

"I think at the point of attack it was blocked extremely well considering there was a guy a yard offsides on defense."

Then he says that is if to say, "What could have been if only that guy who had no bearing on the play would not have been offsides":rolleyes:

scott.475
09-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Well, someone needs to be beating Winborn about the head and shoulders for lining that far off-sides, that is pretty bad and certainly could have cost us big time. It did not even give him any advantage, as he was not part of the play that was coming right toward him.

I am quite shocked it wasn't spotted, it was that bad. Knock it off, Winborn!!!

sacmar
09-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Geeeezuuuss christ what is with eveyone.....you know what i say great i hope some assclown cries about how we ripped them off after every game, because the scoreboard is all that matters and watching these grown men cry like babies is hillarious...supposidly now we cheat, so what so does the pats, merriman, etc....so now that's even something else we're better than other teams at, i hope we so called "barely" "luckly" "cheat " our way to a super bowl win...i'll be wearing orange and dancin in the streets all the same..

CoachChaz
09-24-2008, 10:45 AM
I'll be interested to see the difference in attitude when these calls start going against us.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2008, 04:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3612784&campaign=rsssrch&source=denver+broncos

Sources: Saints' Payton fined $15K by NFL for criticizing officiating

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton has been fined $15,000 for his comments critical of officiating during the team's 34-32 loss to the Denver Broncos last Sunday, league and team sources said Saturday.

Payton is expected to appeal the fine, a team source said. He was critical in his Monday press conference, citing an obvious error in which Broncos linebacker Jamie Winborn appeared to be lined up in the neutral zone on third and 1 with 2:40 left to play.

There was no penalty called, which would have given the Saints a first down at the Denver 19-yard line with a little more than two minutes to play. The Saints lost a yard on the play and Martin Gramatica missed a 43-yard field goal in the two-point loss.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent a memo to all clubs this week, clarifying league policy on criticism of game officials.

He told teams the league welcomes criticism but only in private communication with the league office. Public criticism will result in disciplinary action, the commissioner said.

Chris Mortensen is a Senior NFL Analyst for ESPN.

ApaOps5
09-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Good maybe teach him to keep his mouth shut.

honz
09-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I was just about to post that article. Serves him right.

Timmy!
09-27-2008, 04:38 PM
:lol:

broncofanatic1987
09-27-2008, 11:15 PM
If the refs missed the call, it's a legitimate complaint on Peyton's part. Perhaps he should have limited his complaint to the NFL's head of officiating rather making a public complaint, but it's still a legitimate complaint.

I certainly don't feel sorry for the Saints just like I don't feel sorry for the Dolts, but it's ridiculous to suggest that they are wrong for complaining. Both teams had a chance to win the game after the bad calls were made and they didn't get it done, but that doesn't excuse the bad calls.

frauschieze
09-27-2008, 11:21 PM
League rules say you can't call out the officials publicly. That makes it wrong to do so. As for both teams having a chance to win after bad calls.....who cares? In neither game was the call or non-call the reason they lost. They had their opportunities and missed them.

underrated29
09-27-2008, 11:42 PM
refs miss calls all the time. BFD!

We have had several bad calls or non calls go against us this year too. Its part of the game, the refs do the best they can. Just like they are considered live in the field of play- sometimes a ball hits them and gets picked. It happens and you deal with it.

There will be many more calls and non calls that are not right and each team will have them. I for one will not whine like a biatch unless we get a call like the chargers got. But i would accept it.

broncophan
09-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Sooner or later we will get a big call against us.....but imo......as a team you play well enough and you don't have your team in a position where an official decides the outcome of the game.......it works both ways...

Bronco Bible
09-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Everyone should prepare for all of the calls going the other way this year:listen:

Hobe
09-28-2008, 08:09 PM
My understanding is that teams send DVDs with calls and plays they want the league to review almost every week. It's part of the "private communication with the league office". The DVDs are used in scoring the Refs and when considering fines. They may even end up in front of the competition committee in the off-season. I see players lined up offsides quite frequently without a call. I see contact beyond 5 yard all the time without a call. Then there's holding...

Payton was just plain out of line and he got it in the wallet.